Computer Aids

My laptop was giving me trouble over the weekend. The mouse wouldn't move from the far right or better stated it acted like someone was pressing the mouse to the far right so it made it very difficult just to restart the computer. I ran Avast on a full scan but it didn't pick anything up. It did find an extension issue which it corrected. Anyway, the problem seems much better but it is not fixed. How do I figure out whether it is a pointer issue or a software issue? Is it time for a new computer or how would you go about fixing it?

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

My laptop was giving me trouble over the weekend. The mouse wouldn't move from the far right or better stated it acted like someone was pressing the mouse to the far right so it made it very difficult just to restart the computer. I ran Avast on a full scan but it didn't pick anything up. It did find an extension issue which it corrected. Anyway, the problem seems much better but it is not fixed. How do I figure out whether it is a pointer issue or a software issue? Is it time for a new computer or how would you go about fixing it?

Dick around with the mouse driver,  uninstall, reboot, let it install what it wants (probably default MS driver).  See if that works, or loses functionality, install the Synaptics or whatever driver, check for updates, blah blah blah.

Hitting ctl-alt-del will once still invokes the task manager and shutdown menu, from which you should be able to reboot without using the mouse.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Cordless mouse or wired?  If cordless, try replacing the battery?  Do you have another mouse around that you try plugging in to see if the same issue occurs or not?  Might help narrow down whether it's a mouse problem or a PC problem.

Do you have an actual mouse or are you talking about the touch pad?  If it's the touch pad, uninstalling and reinstalling and then installing the latest firmware for it like twice suggested is a good place to start.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Do you have an actual mouse or are you talking about the touch pad?  If it's the touch pad, uninstalling and reinstalling and then installing the latest firmware for it like twice suggested is a good place to start.

touch pad - laptop