Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran.

Anastasis

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

fify

Also, I love "reluctant Trump supporter" - what a solid-gold turn of phrase.  It is quite reminiscent of "I didn't want to hit you honey.  I really didn't.  I hate that I beat you up so much, you can't even imagine.  I wish you didn't provoke me like that, and made me do something I didn't want to do."

8 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Good article in The New Yorker by Dexter Filkins.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/05/06/john-bolton-on-the-warpath

Interesting little tidbit about Mike Pompeo:

The Western diplomat told me that Bolton differed from other White House advisers, such as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who reflexively agree with the President. “Pompeo is really interested not in foreign policy but in what is good for Trump. When you are out of the Trump field, he has nothing to say,” the diplomat told me.

Because that's what you want in a Secretary of State. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

fify

Hey there little buddy.

A little touchy because Biden is pulling away early? Keep your head up. Joe’s gonna mess it up.

Have a good night and God bless. 

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

Also, I love "reluctant Trump supporter" - what a solid-gold turn of phrase.  It is quite reminiscent of "I didn't want to hit you honey.  I really didn't.  I hate that I beat you up so much, you can't even imagine.  I wish you didn't provoke me like that, and made me do something I didn't want to do."

Whoop yo woman when she needs it

The Judge will not let you explain

Edited by Chad Fuck
never enough sonny boy

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

also, how is it possible we are still using stratofortresses?  that must be the best designed aircraft of all time.

The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is an American long-range, subsonic, jet-powered strategic bomber. The B-52 was designed and built by Boeing, which has continued to provide support and upgrades. It has been operated by the United States Air Force (USAF) since the 1950s. The bomber is capable of carrying up to 70,000 pounds (32,000 kg) of weapons,[5] and has a typical combat range of more than 8,800 miles (14,080 km) without aerial refueling.[6]

Beginning with the successful contract bid in June 1946, the B-52 design evolved from a straight wing aircraft powered by six turboprop engines to the final prototype YB-52 with eight turbojet engines and swept wings. The B-52 took its maiden flight in April 1952. Built to carry nuclear weapons for Cold War-era deterrence missions, the B-52 Stratofortress replaced the Convair B-36. A veteran of several wars, the B-52 has dropped only conventional munitions in combat. The B-52's official name Stratofortress is rarely used; informally, the aircraft has become commonly referred to as the BUFF (Big Ugly Fat Fella/Fucker).[7][8][9][Note 1]

The B-52 has been in active service with the USAF since 1955. As of December 2015, 58 were in active service with 18 in reserve.[11] The bombers flew under the Strategic Air Command (SAC) until it was disestablished in 1992 and its aircraft absorbed into the Air Combat Command (ACC); in 2010 all B-52 Stratofortresses were transferred from the ACC to the newly created Air Force Global Strike Command (AFGSC). Superior performance at high subsonic speeds and relatively low operating costs have kept the B-52 in service despite the advent of later, more advanced aircraft, including the canceled Mach 3 B-70 Valkyrie, the variable-geometry B-1 Lancer, and the stealth B-2 Spirit. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-52_Stratofortress

17 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

also, how is it possible we are still using stratofortresses?  that must be the best designed aircraft of all time.

Cheap, basically indestructible, can fly around the world without touching down, carry nukes (Hi Barksdale, where these came from).
I think we've gotten our money's worth on them.

50 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That's nifty. Basically like the lead up to the Gulf War, except we had them based at Diego Garcia. And some of the first bombs dropped in Iraq came from B-52s from Barksdale that flew over to Iraq, dropped shit, and flew back and landed at Barksdale - 34 hour flight, 14k miles, never touched down except at their home base, pretty freaking amazing for a plane older than most of us.

2 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

That's nifty. Basically like the lead up to the Gulf War, except we had them based at Diego Garcia. And some of the first bombs dropped in Iraq came from B-52s from Barksdale that flew over to Iraq, dropped shit, and flew back and landed at Barksdale - 34 hour flight, 14k miles, never touched down except at their home base, pretty freaking amazing for a plane older than most of us.

BOEING-B-52-STRATOFORTRESS-TRUST-OVER-30

• Like 3

61AXR-9q25L._SX425_.jpg

I used to have one of these on my car. I grew up in the flight path for Barksdale. After about a month, you get used to your windows rattling everytime one of those things goes over at about 1k feet. Never got old watching them do touch and goes on the weekends when the reservists were flying.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, NowThis said:

this chit is getting serious.  Fucking Bolton might have brainwashed butthead into pulling the trigger. 

Trump needs a distraction in the worst way.  He’s also pissed at republicans over Jr. getting called back to Congress. 

Hopefully cooler heads prevail.  

But some country is going to get pounded before he leaves office, and it won’t be us.  

7 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

61AXR-9q25L._SX425_.jpg

I used to have one of these on my car. I grew up in the flight path for Barksdale. After about a month, you get used to your windows rattling everytime one of those things goes over at about 1k feet. Never got old watching them do touch and goes on the weekends when the reservists were flying.

I used to see them doing the same thing at Carswell.  Before it became the JRB and the B-52s went away.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump needs a distraction in the worst way.  He’s also pissed at republicans over Jr. getting called back to Congress. 

Hopefully cooler heads prevail.  

But some country is going to get pounded before he leaves office, and it won’t be us.  

If Bolton has his way, this will happen.

Trump has shown he's all about the bluster:  N. Korea, Venezuela, Syria, now Iran.

He's like any other coward.  All talk. 

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"I actually temper John, which is pretty amazing."

JFC.

We live in a country where Donald Trump is the voice of reason.

Let that sink in.  Then, drink yourself to death -- it's really the only sane option.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

We live in a country where Donald Trump is the voice of reason.

Let that sink in.  Then, drink yourself to death -- it's really the only sane option.

To be fair, this was known if not stated out loud the day Trump brought Bolton into the administration.  Bolton has not changed.  He's the same as he's always been.

50 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You know what would be awesome to go with John Bolton as NSA?  A Defense Secretary with the background of “Defense Contractor Executive”.  And not one of those pussy defense contractors like L3.  Nah, give me the Lockheed or Boeing guy. 

The closest we’ve gotten in any department was probably having the DOJ after the financial crisis lead by a lawyer whose firm routinely represented mega banks.

So anonymous White House sources are planting stories for a pretext for war. Right on the heels of NYT reporting DOD has presented the White House with plans to bring 120,000 troops to the region. 

Trump is trying like hell to start a war, and we should very seriously not let that happen. 

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Perhaps but I’m counting on Trump’s daddy. 

Both Pompeo and Bolton are definite hawks on Iran (for the latter it's almost to the level of a fetish), which leaves me befuddled about supposedly dovish Trump's motivations for selecting them for their posts. Before them, the Trump Doctrine on foreign policy was all about nationalism/isolationism and cozying up to other nationalist dictators. In other words, burning down the post-war international world order and all its institutions. To that, he's added a couple of scapegoats - Venezuela, and Iran - to keep the warmongerers happy. (North Korea and Syria, y'all cool now.)

He's the commander in chief so I guess he has the final say, but this quote doesn't build confidence.

"He has strong views on things but that's okay. I actually temper John, which is pretty amazing," Trump said Thursday during an Oval Office press conference. "I'm the one that tempers him. That's okay. I have different sides. I have John Bolton and other people that are a little more dovish than him. I like John."

On Wednesday, The Washington Post reported Trump felt Bolton was trying to get him "into a war," with Venezuela following Juan Guaidó's failed coup attempt — a comment Trump later insisted was made in jest.

It should go without saying, he's a moron and doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Given his past, if Bolton and Pompeo are the last two in the room, we might well try to start bombing Iran. Hopefully, they're not deluded enough to start a ground war though but again, this article should give everyone pause.

In setting out the Trump administration’s Middle East policy, one of the first things Mike Pompeo made clear to his audience in Cairo is that he had come to the region as “as an evangelical Christian”.

In his speech at the American University in Cairo, Pompeo said that in his state department office: “I keep a Bible open on my desk to remind me of God and his word, and the truth.”

The secretary of state’s primary message in Cairo was that the US was ready once more to embrace conservative Middle Eastern regimes, no matter how repressive, if they made common cause against Iran.

His second message was religious. In his visit to Egypt, he came across as much as a preacher as a diplomat. He talked about “America’s innate goodness” and marveled at a newly built cathedral as “a stunning testament to the Lord’s hand”.

Just as he did in Cairo, Pompeo called on the congregation of a Kansan megachurch three years ago to join a fight of good against evil.

“We will continue to fight these battles,” the then congressman said at the Summit church in Wichita. “It is a never-ending struggle … until the rapture. Be part of it. Be in the fight.”

As Donald Trump finds himself ever more dependent on them for his political survival, the influence of Pence, Pompeo and the ultra-conservative white Evangelicals who stand behind them is likely to grow.

“Many of them relish the second coming because for them it means eternal life in heaven,” Andrew Chesnut, professor of religious studies at Virginia Commonwealth University said. “There is a palpable danger that people in high position who subscribe to these beliefs will be readier to take us into a conflict that brings on Armageddon.”

“The Christian nationalist movement is characterized by feelings of persecution and, to some degree, paranoia – a clear example is the idea that there is somehow a ‘war on Christmas’,” Stewart said. “People in those positions will often go for authoritarian leaders who will do whatever is necessary to fight for their cause.”

Some theologians also see an increasingly evangelical tinge to the administration’s broader Middle East policies, in particular its fierce embrace of Binyamin Netanyahu’s government, the lack of balancing sympathy for the Palestinians – and the insistent demonisation of the Iranian government.

Evangelicals, Chesnut said, “now see the United States locked into a holy war against the forces of evil who they see as embodied by Iran”.

In a speech at the end of a regional tour on Thursday, Pompeo reprised the theme, describing Iran as a “cancerous influence”.

This zeal for a defining struggle has thus far found common cause with more secular hawks such as the national security adviser, John Bolton, and Trump’s own drive to eliminate the legacy of Barack Obama, whose signature foreign policy achievement was the 2015 nuclear deal with Tehran, which Trump abrogated last May.

Nevermind, we're fucked.

Edited by bolverk
forgot guardian link
  • Like 1

Just as he did in Cairo, Pompeo called on the congregation of a Kansan megachurch three years ago to join a fight of good against evil.

“We will continue to fight these battles,” the then congressman said at the Summit church in Wichita. “It is a never-ending struggle … until the rapture. Be part of it. Be in the fight.”

Real fucking tired of these jihadist teabangelicals 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You get it.  We're being served a cocktail of failed neocon ideas and evangelical eschatological insanity.  It smells faintly of cyanide.  Drink up!

Who gains with a war in Iran?  Besides the defense contractors and oil futures?  No way it’s that simple. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Who gains with a war in Iran?  Besides the defense contractors and oil futures?  No way it’s that simple. 

1) Trump.  He thinks "Everyone loves a wartime president!"  And we're stupid enough that he's probably right.

2) Russia.  In like a dozen different ways.  Seriously, a US-Iran war would be a huge boon to their interests (start with soaring oil prices, on which their entire economy is based, and keep going).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1) Trump.  He thinks "Everyone loves a wartime president!"  And we're stupid enough that he's probably right.

2) Russia.  In like a dozen different ways.  Seriously, a US-Iran war would be a huge boon to their interests (start with soaring oil prices, on which their entire economy is based, and keep going).

Also Israel and Saudi Arabia who are currently dictating most of our Mideast policy. 

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Russia.  In like a dozen different ways.  Seriously, a US-Iran war would be a huge boon to their interests (start with soaring oil prices, on which their entire economy is based, and keep going).

Putin wants oil prices high but he wants the US out of the Middle East.  Seems like the US pretending its about to go to war in the Middle East is his best possible scenario for oil prices and weapons sales reasons. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You get it.  We're being served a cocktail of failed neocon ideas and evangelical eschatological insanity.  It smells faintly of cyanide.  Drink up!

When I think of what the Evangelicals have done to this country over the last 50-60 years it saddens me, but reminds me of what Goldwater warned about. I am a Christian, but I cannot relate to anything these clowns are saying. Using God's name to further a goal which will include the killing of tens of thousands of people is several bridges too far for me. 

I will never trust anyone in office with an R next to their name who talks about Christianity. They are complete and utter frauds and deserve the worst that hell has to offer them. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Currently??

Yes. As of Jan 20, 2017. Ever since we handed over Mideast policy to the experienced and totally qualified son-in-law of the president who simply does the bidding of uncle Bibi and his new best buddy MBS. From Iran-Contra to the Iran Nuclear Deal, can you name any other administration whose Mideast policy was more completely aligned with their interests? GWB would be the only one that comes close, he foreshadowed the current administration. Trump just turned it up to 11. 

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Saudi Arabia is driving this bus and has been since forever.  We would have reached this point roughly a decade ago if Romney had won instead of Obama. 

• Like 1