Chernobyl HBO

TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

For some reason I’m able to completely separate tv from reality when it comes to those animal scenes. Maybe because I grew up on a farm where animal death was a daily occurrence, I don’t know. But those scenes don’t faze me at all 

Is your name Dwight Schrute?

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, troph said:

I’m talking more about the hues of the entire show not the buildings and decor or fashion and it’s a common way western film depicts Eastern Europe and Russian in the Soviet era, I could be wrong but life isn’t as drab as the film makes it seem. I could be imagining it though I’m going to pay closer attention.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, RPM said:

I haven't been there, but my image of what late 80's Soviet life was like is pretty much what they are showing. Drab colors, party first, trickle tidbits to the submissive. I haven't seen anything to change that. I'm sure they had festivals and whatnot where things perked up. So does Rock City, Wyoming and it's drab as hell there, too.

So it is College Station and the aggy campus?

Great, great show. Maybe an all-timer in my opinion. Although for some reason the last episode felt like the weakest of the bunch to me (still very good though).

It is completely insane that the dude's only other credits are super shitty movies. How the fuck does someone write multiple movies with

• Like 1

I'm actually thrilled that this was only 5 episodes.

And agreed with the opinions above that this was some of the finest television I've seen in some time.

I really liked the detailed forensic discussion of the accident timeline and the simplified physics behind it... Easy to follow, even without a degree in nuclear physics.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s bone chilling to think that these people had thousands of nuclear missiles pointed at us for 30+ years.

A former KGB officer with the same mindset is the boss over there now and they still have more than enough missiles to nuke us to Bolivia.

Edited by bolverk
It was an incredibly well done miniseries.

Well I sure as shit got my explanation. 

They choked it with zenon, then put a brick on the accelerator to get it going again, then accidentally kicked off the choke and when it over revved they tried to shut it off by adding nitrous. 

The readings coming off the firefighter clothes all the years later was nutzo. 

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Damn, that was a great miniseries. Harris and Skarsgard knocked it out of the park.

Harris was great, but I think Skarsgard was even better. It was a reverse heel turn. You saw him slowly come to grips with what happened and what was going to happen. 

Both those guys were heroes. Loved the scene in the kiddie playground during the court recess.

I'm actually thrilled that this was only 5 episodes.

And agreed with the opinions above that this was some of the finest television I've seen in some time.

I really liked the detailed forensic discussion of the accident timeline and the simplified physics behind it... Easy to follow, even without a degree in nuclear physics.

You’ve written about NASA in the wake of the Challenger explosion. There could probably be an interesting.... Erik Larson meets Michener’s Eagle and the Raven type book or historical work comparing the two disasters, if one doesn’t yet exist.

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

That was an incredible series.  It's unbelievable they didn't get a permanent protective enclosure completed over the site until 2 years ago.  

not permanent..  100yrs.   I beleive all of Europe had to kick in some cash to get it done.

The amazing thing to me was they didn't shut down reactors 1,2, & 3 until much later.  But by all accounts it's a huge ass complex.

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

not permanent..  100yrs.   I beleive all of Europe had to kick in some cash to get it done.

The amazing thing to me was they didn't shut down reactors 1,2, & 3 until much later.  But by all accounts it's a huge ass complex.

Yep.  Also, did they really have the trial back in Chernobyl?  Seems....unwise.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes. Chernobyl City is not the same as Pripyat or the actual power plant. It’s southeast of the plant. Pripyat was the city that was most directly affected and ultimately abandoned.

It's about 10 miles from the reactor. I'm sure everyone was safe. 

It's about 10 miles from the reactor. I'm sure everyone was safe. 

Well, it was the Soviet Union and we all know how that goes. However, it seems like most of the fallout was north of the reactor. They were concerned with the ground and river water to the south, but not sure if they were truly contaminated. As horrific as it all was, there are many communities in the immediate area that were not affected, or at least not discernibly so. But I am no Valery Legasov.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/04/26/u-s-still-paying-to-clean-up-chernobyl/

Uncle Sam kicked in a few million over the last three decades too.   Which in itself is telling because they wanted no part of  US help and expertise while the event was unfolding or in the years following until they had to fully let the cat out of the bag about the whole mess.  

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep.  Also, did they really have the trial back in Chernobyl?  Seems....unwise.

I'm surprised they waited that long to have a trial of any sort.    It wasn't uncommon to get rid of the evidence and the perps (or who the state declared the perps) soon after the event occurred.    Think modern day North Korea and what they do with their dissenters or people who have embarrassed Dear Leader.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

There are dozens of albums of explorer’s photos out there these days. Some are truly amazing and as someone who loves the same hobby, I am very jealous. However, if you haven’t already gone to google maps and done the street view of Pripyat, I suggest doing so. Fascinating imagery. I especially love the Cold War era soviet murals.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Harris was great, but I think Skarsgard was even better. It was a reverse heel turn. You saw him slowly come to grips with what happened and what was going to happen. 

Both those guys were heroes. Loved the scene in the kiddie playground during the court recess.

Yep the heel turn was awesome. Great acting

9 hours ago, RPM said:

His off camera mobile home phone home rant was one of my favorite moments of the series. (Right after WALLE shit the bed)

• Like 1