Chernobyl HBO

TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Can’t believe only 31 people died!

The large estimates are based on the number that "could" potentially die of radiation exposure.  The UN and WHO acknowledge around only 40-60 deaths as being directly attributed to radiation from the disaster.

Along with the "2-4 megaton" steam explosion, the show apparently either made up or took at face value a rumor that everyone on the "bridge of death" died.  No one in Pripyat actually died from the fallout resulting from the explosion.

• Fuck You 1

Wow those pics. The rooftop cleanup pic is spot on.

Regarding the longer term negative effects: I’m intrigued by that topic. Not because I’m some nuclear crusader (although I’m a proponent) but because I’m genuinely curious what the real dangers are. There’s no question that up-close exposure to large amounts of radiation is catastrophic, but the more widespread effects appear to be in some dispute. Wouldn’t it be nice if it isn’t as bad as we thought.

I am interested in learning how truthfully they portrayed the actions of Dyatlov.  He might as well have been insane and/or an acid when he was issuing those commands.  Just batshit crazy.  Unbelievable someone with his experience could treat something as complex, dangerous, and unpredictable as a nuclear reactor the way that he did.  

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I am interested in learning how truthfully they portrayed the actions of Dyatlov.  He might as well have been insane and/or an acid when he was issuing those commands.  Just batshit crazy.  Unbelievable someone with his experience could treat something as complex, dangerous, and unpredictable as a nuclear reactor the way that he did.   

i have a hard time believing he would be so reckless in reality...the show was clearly depicting his ambition and desire to feed/please the communist party power structure which undoubtedly fed into the portrayal since it was the central theme of the entire series.

that said, if he truly believed he had a fail-safe no matter what in the AZ-5 with no regards (or knowledge as the show would lead us) to how the graphite tips on the boron control rods would react with the growing fission energy as they re-entered the core to cool reactivity, he may have been willing to continue pressing with no regard up to that point in order to complete the test and ensure promotion.  the portrayal had him showing pure panic for the first time when the MW output shot up out of control after the AZ-5 was initiated.  but too late.  shouldn't stick pencils into a nucelar reactor that's fissioning out of control, no water to run through, and all the xenon having been burned off.

regardless, a willingness to initiate the test in such a low power level environment anyway demonstrated that dyatlov was essentially...

MV5BZTMxNGIzMmQtMzZjZC00NjA4LWFlNDctY2Uz

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

That's one of the most believable aspects of the series..  Who knew greed and personal advancement would lead to risky behavior?   Also experience <> knowledge...  Did you see the look on his face when the bit about the graphite tips came out in court?   That's the lie that cost them so dearly.

15 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn that was great. I looked forward to Mondays for this show, only kept hbo after GOT was for this. Any reason for it now?

There's always more great programming around the corner on HBO.

I'm intrigued by the upcoming WATCHMEN series... Big Little Lies is also coming back.... there's also the upcoming documentary (using restored film footage) about the 8th Air Force called "The Cold Blue." It's premiering on June 6.

• Like 3

Why did Dyatlov lie about being on the shitter during one of the decisions?  It didn't seem to me that he would have been off the hook even if that were true, given all of the other shit he didn't contest.  Was the implication that Legasov's account and the flashback was subject to human error and wasn't completely accurate? 

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Why did Dyatlov lie about being on the shitter during one of the decisions?  It didn't seem to me that he would have been off the hook even if that were true, given all of the other shit he didn't contest.  Was the implication that Legasov's account and the flashback was subject to human error and wasn't completely accurate? 

Yeah, they had him dead to rights.

merry christmas film GIF

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

He lied about everything. Nothing was his fault and it was the incompetent workers doing things without his knowlege. Well, that was his cya story anyway. He should have received life or a bullet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

He lied about everything. Nothing was his fault and it was the incompetent workers doing things without his knowlege. Well, that was his cya story anyway. He should have received life or a bullet.

I imagine ten years of hard labor and dying from radiation sickness was a pretty fair punishment.

17 hours ago, Fozzz said:

You've obviously never worked in any sort of process operations with older folks who think they know everything. The unfounded confidence that comes with years of experience doing risky things where the dice always seems to roll in your favor can be a dangerous thing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You've obviously never worked in any sort of process operations with older folks who think they know everything. The unfounded confidence that comes with years of experience doing risky things where the dice always seems to roll in your favor can be a dangerous thing.

This. The big boss intimidation factor in the Soviet Union to a new hire fresh out of school. The one guy with experience stood up to him and was slapped down hard. It's a lot like the old Korean cockpit chain of command where nobody questioned the Captain. That worked out well, too. 

Dyatlov had one thing and one thing only on his mind, a promotion. Get this test checked off and GTFO. 

Nah, even without all that there are always set in their ways old school guys who think they know the best way to do things and their way is perfectly safe because they've always had a favorable roll. You don't even need to add in that stuff to get the result they got, but it just about guarantees it if you do and the dice give you one unfavorable roll.

His actions also make a lot more sense in the general context of the Soviet Union. Bryukhanov was a competent, young up and comer early in his career, but then he was tasked with building the reactors and most of Pripyat. The plans from Moscow called for materials not even manufactured anywhere in the Soviet Union and he was constantly given defective materials. So rather than report any of this and get it corrected, he was forced to always make it work somehow and ended up being awarded for it by the USSR.  

So then when you’ve cut corners your whole career and gotten rewarded for just ignoring potential issues,  you become someone like Dyatlov by that point in your career and believe the same thing will continue to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The plans from Moscow called for materials not even manufactured anywhere in the Soviet Union and he was constantly given defective materials. So rather than report any of this and get it corrected, he was forced to always make it work somehow...  

This type of stuff is rampant in industry still today.

If portrayed accurately, Dyatlov was a piece of shit and his irresponsibility led to the meltdown.  But if he really thought he had the AE5 button as a fail safe, that's pretty fucked up too.  I imagine he shit his pants when they pushed it and nothing happened.

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

There's always more great programming around the corner on HBO.

I'm intrigued by the upcoming WATCHMEN series... Big Little Lies is also coming back.... there's also the upcoming documentary (using restored film footage) about the 8th Air Force called "The Cold Blue." It's premiering on June 6.

Shit I just realized I didn't even mention BARRY, which is probably the best show on TV right now.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think his behavior goes far beyond arrogance.  Given his experience, he had to have known that ramping power output back up after stalling the reactor would most likely result in an emergency shutdown, which obviously would be professionally embarrassing for Dyatlov.  Moreover, it is difficult to believe that someone with his experience would have been so cavalier about placing the reactor in a condition where an explosion or meltdown is imminent but for an emergency shutdown of the reactor.  What if there's an electrical glitch or something  breaks?  You're totally fucked.  I would hope someone with 25 years of experience would know that those things do occasionally happen.  I'm sure in real life Dyatlov did act unethically and the Soviets were right to imprison him, but the show took his behavior to such an extreme that it became almost comical.  

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Comrade Fozz does not approve of HBO portraying Mother Russia in a negative light.

No.  If anything centering Dyatlov's arrogance and questionable behavior attenuates the role the Soviet government played in the disaster.  

14 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

No.  If anything centering Dyatlov's arrogance and questionable behavior attenuates the role the Soviet government played in the disaster.  

The Soviet government doesn’t know the ins and outs of their nuclear power plants though. Dyatlov was supposed to and if he didn’t, in this series at least, his crew told him the correct course of action in full shutdown to purge the xenon. 

If you mean the role that Soviet society played in informing all of the decision making from everyone from Gorbachev down to the operators, then I agree. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Soviet government doesn’t know the ins and outs of their nuclear power plants though. Dyatlov was supposed to and if he didn’t, in this series at least, his crew told him the correct course of action in full shutdown to purge the xenon. 

If you mean the role that Soviet society played in informing all of the decision making from everyone from Gorbachev down to the operators, then I agree. 

The Soviet government was unaware of the flaws of the RBMK reactor design?  No one knew about the reactor's positive void coefficient?  lol.

Edited by Fozzz

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

what he's talking about is the fact that the Soviet government/decisionmakers knew about the design flaw that would lead to the over-reactivity in shoving the graphite tipped control rods back into a reactor that was spooling out of control and went out of their way to keep that information from operators like dyatlov.  this was a huge element of the entire series.

• Like 1

For being basically "North Korea," it's interesting the Soviets were willing to publicly admit this in 1986.  

Human error was the overriding cause of the Chernobyl nuclear accident, but the reactor's design made it a difficult one to manage, according to nuclear safety experts who have read the Soviet Union's government report on the disaster.

These analysts say that Soviet authorities appear to recognize that operator errors at the Chernobyl plant on the night of April 25-26 were not the sole cause of the accident, and that technical flaws in the reactor's design contributed to the worst accident in the 44-year history of nuclear energy.

In particular, they said, a distinctive feature of the Chernobyl design, which sets it apart from conventional nuclear power plants in most of the world, is its tendency to generate a sudden and uncontrollable burst of power if large steam bubbles, or "voids," are allowed to form in the reactor core, as they did before the accident.

This peculiarity of the Chernobyl type of graphite reactor, called a positive void effect, is now seen as a decisive factor in the accident, one that transformed successive blunders on the part of Soviet operators over a period of hours into a catastrophe.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-08-23-mn-15781-story.html

For those of you questioning the accuracy of Dyatlov’s words and actions in the control room and the trial, according to the official podcast, he said and did all those things.

They said that the word used to describe him by coworkers and subordinate over and over again was “bully”.

• Like 1

Russian writer's comments on Ep 5. Pictures show up in the link. Quote below is text only.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1135689238597574656.html

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud
2 days ago, 39 tweets, 12 min read  Read on Twitter

To revive my old hashtag, #TodaysRussianProverb, "Once you've grabbed the tug rope, don't say you ain't strong enough"... This is to say that I will indeed review tonight's Episode 5 of #ChernobylHBO with another dose of Soviet-era trivia and whatever else gets drudged up.

Let's start by saying that over the last week the state media and "patriotic" commentariat have finally gotten into gear with critical takes, calling it everything from a vicious Western attack on the memories of Soviet heroism to a mindless collection of fables and stereotypes..

The finale will probably only intensify this rhetoric, since here the Soviet bureaucracy and systemic failures really come into focus. I am not an expert on nuclear power, but I can offer my view on the "mindless stereotypes" angle. Once again, my area is authenticity of details.

The opening scene, shot on location in an ex-Soviet town with local extras, is a perfect little excursion into the 1980s USSR. A typical Soviet pool (with a ubiquitous cleaning lady), typical Soviet families, the antique stroller, the mandatory track suit tops on the males...

Enter the Patronymic! Hey, finally the traditional Russian deferential form of address makes an appearance. First name and patronymic (middle name based on the father's given name) is how you address someone formally or respectfully. Of course, it's an earful for Westerners...

But those who think that Soviets didn't just go around calling each other "Comrade this and comrade that...", well, yes, we totally did. In a formal setting, "comrade" was used quite often and, when said in Russian, it doesn't quite grate as its English equivalent.

To put it simply, in 7th grade, I absolutely wouldn't have called Yekaterina Alexeyevna "comrade chemistry teacher" (perfect as it was for that Bolshevik fossil) but, when I was first brought into a local police station (long story), "comrade militiaman" is what I definitely said

This typical Soviet "big boss" office is lovingly created by someone who's been in one. The flip calendar, the pen holder with an actual Soviet fountain pen, the blotter and, most importantly, the multiple phones (one for calls from party elites). The cubist mural is a nice touch

That will be very a very difficult task, Comrade Legasov, since there're no juries in Soviet trials. There are 3 judges. The decisions are announced by the chairman of the panel. Guess you could call it a "jury", but it's very different from the mental image English speakers get

I wish my uncle, who was a Soviet prosecutor, was alive to comment on the uniform, but as far as I can tell, the lapel insignia is for the Judiciary Counsel 2nd Grade, which was indeed the rank of the prosecutor in the Chernobyl trial. His nauseating speech is verbatim.

A note on the resemblance of the actors to the real defendants. Yeah, pretty high marks here.

Holy crap, this has escalated into a Soviet dissident kitchen conversation! All they need is a .75-liter bottle and some not-too-fresh tank tops!.. I sincerely doubt Legasov and Shcherbina would've ever voiced such anti-Soviet heresy to each other. But the point needed to be made

Shcherbina lasted another three years and was instrumental in alleviating the consequences of the horrendous Armenian earthquake of 1989. He is largely forgotten now, or mostly remembered for his uncomplimentary quotes about Yeltsin. He got no honors for Chernobyl.

Sunflower seeds, the Soviet popcorn. Our most common snack and often an addiction. Some folks ate them to suppress the need to smoke. The only food sold at most stadiums. This is just a delicious little detail. Oh, those shells everywhere you go...

This scene turns into an American courtroom drama, very effectively made. But did it actually happen? Journalists were allowed in the room only for the verdict, but I doubt that Legasov actually went there. His most damning "testimony" was in those suicide-note tapes...

Who are you? Why are you here? You do not look like Cheburashka, the lovable big-eared creature of Soviet cartoons. What land do you come from? What tales have you brought? Are you an American spy?

And what a parting shot! In this footage Legasov is filmed talking to the liquidators and telling them lies about the effects of radiation. Absolutely perfect!

The Ukrainian church hymn gives the episode its title, Vichnaya Pamyat (Eternal memory), which is also a phrase used in the Soviet Union/Russia ("vEchnaya pamyat" in Russian) to commemorate victims of disasters and heroes of wars.

The finale will surely give Russian critics more ammo in their attacks on the series, since Legasov's climactic speech is clearly artistic license, as is his meeting with the fictional Charkov in that creepy tiled room. But the scene obviously serves a clearly defined purpose...

The entire theme of the series is shouted loud and clear in every episode: it's the cost of lies. Like radiation in the human body, they accumulate and never go away until there is simply too much, and the result is fatal. This serves as a great teachable moment to any society...

But in the Soviet Union I knew, this was especially true. To me, a teenager who grew up listening to a set of unshakeable truths and then, suddenly, just as I reached physical and mental maturity, to discover that ALL of them were lies... Well, that was... exactly like this:

It's hard to agree with Gorbachev here (BTW, the infamous fool Ryzhkov referred to in the series is to the right of him in this shot). The USSR didn't collapse because of Chernobyl. It was a doomed country that was slowly dying of its own accord. But Chernobyl is a great metaphor

The very beginning of the episode exposes the vicious chain reaction of lies in Soviet life. Industrial bosses in Kiev want to report increased productivity at the end of the month. Bosses at the power plant want to report a successful test. All of them are after material rewards...not for the "happiness of all mankind", not for advancement of Leninism. By the 1980s even the true believers weren't this blind. The Soviet system had degenerated to the point where lies build up so that a few people could enjoy precious few benefits, a purely capitalist goal

Life in the Soviet Union was an exceedingly dull affair. The most mundane, trivial tasks, like buying a new refrigerator, would turn into exhausting long-term projects that consumed your very soul. But all of it was supported by the shaky foundation of beautiful lies...

Once the truth was introduced into the society (at this very time, as it happened), it was impossible to control. Once I, an unremarkable provincial high schooler (the proof is attached), learned that SOME things said in school weren't true, I soon learned to doubt everything...

So, yeah, if any modern society comes to mind where lies seem to have taken over and exert the power over your life, it's probably good to take heed. This type of stuff rarely ends well... 

But enough with editorializing. This has been an amazing, gut-wrenching ride. Finally...

I want to recap some of my favorite moments in the series...

First, the "milk scene" in Ep 2. Yes, Soviet citizens were incredibly devoted to quack remedies, and that even included doctors. You have no idea how much hatred I still feel when I remember the fucking mustard plaster!

If you don't know what it is, it's a remedy based on the belief that delivering a severe first-degree burn to an area of skin would cure common cold. It's exactly as nuts as it sounds, yet it was actually prescribed by glorious medical practitioners of the Motherland

Suction cups was another favorite. Rubbing the chest with alcohol and/or honey. Breathing over a pot of boiled potatoes (my doctor was a serious believer in this scientific breakthrough).
Also, to fight anemia, we ate candy bars made out of processed cow blood. I shit you not

I also loved the decision by the creators to not translate the poem at the beginning of Ep 2 or the song in Ep 4. The poem in particular is crucial to the theme of the episode but explaining it would've been too in your face. This approach holds through most of the series...

With only a few exceptions ("The Hero of the Soviet Union... our highest honor"), realities of the Soviet life are never specifically explained. There are no clunky dialogues designed to let the viewer know the background. We are left to immerse ourselves into this world...

We are not force-fed the details and the authenticity. It's simply there, in the background, giving the art a certain feel. You may not know what the Russian poem says, but it's unmistakably Russian, vaguely haunting, with bitter, harsh intonations. You know it's not happy stuff.

These subtleties are everything here. You might now know that the Swedish-Lebanese actor portraying Bacho is (by design or accidentally) being a pitch-perfect Georgian macho, but you know on a subconscious level he's a different kind of Soviet from, say, the Slavic innocent Pavel

And finally, and most importantly, I am in awe at how perfectly the series captured the Soviet (and, actually, Russian as well) mentality that leads to so many disasters. Quite opposite of what you may think of us ("mindless automatons following the will of the Party"), we were..
... always skeptical of rules, regulations and even orders. It's past midnight, so here is a new #TodaysRussianProverb. "The strictness of our laws is greatly compensated by the lack of necessity to follow them."

Sometimes, this is a blessing (don't we need more Tula miners?)...

... more often, it's a curse. Keep this in mind the next time you are laughing at a "Meanwhile in Russia" meme.

Thankfully, "Chernobyl" isn't a meme or a stereotype. I am deeply grateful to its creators for this piece of art.

It made the transformative event of my adolescence (I am talking of the slow collapse of the Soviet Union) somehow more real. It was immensely powerful and deeply touching. It made me process things that lay dormant for 30 yrs. I don't know of other films that had such an effect.

Oh... And that knockoff Mickey Mouse? Yes, it's actually real. And goddamn terrifying.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

For those of you questioning the accuracy of Dyatlov’s words and actions in the control room and the trial, according to the official podcast, he said and did all those things.

They said that the word used to describe him by coworkers and subordinate over and over again was “bully”.

Sorry but you can't just rely on podcasts as evidence without at least identifying the source cited in the podcast.  This goes for both unofficial and official podcasts.

38 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The Soviet government was unaware of the flaws of the RBMK reactor design?  No one knew about the reactor's positive void coefficient?  lol.

37 minutes ago, sidis said:

what he's talking about is the fact that the Soviet government/decisionmakers knew about the design flaw that would lead to the over-reactivity in shoving the graphite tipped control rods back into a reactor that was spooling out of control and went out of their way to keep that information from operators like dyatlov.  this was a huge element of the entire series.

Ok that makes sense. They knew and redacted in the publication. Why worry about something that will never happen, right?  Why would almost all the rods ever be pulled completely out?

but we don’t know where in the chain that information got snipped, do we?  Legarov didn’t know. The investigation had to rediscover it. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok that makes sense. They knew and redacted in the publication. Why worry about something that will never happen, right?  Why would almost all the rods ever be pulled completely out?

but we don’t know where in the chain that information got snipped, do we?  Legarov didn’t know. The investigation had to rediscover it.  

we don't know specifically but we know it was a coordinated effort by the politburo with the help of the kgb because of:

1) the missing pages from the studies;

2) their unwillingness to make studies available to emily watson when she asked for 10 of them;

3) the machinations and bullying of legasov into how to present the conclusions;

3) stonewalling investigative efforts to the extent of throwing watson into lubyanka for a night for threatening to go public that any of this had even happened.

that was essentially the entire point of emily watson's character in the series.  what's interesting to me about that is in the epilogue during the credits, they said they made her character up to represent all the scientists involved in the investigation and aiding legasov in getting to the truth...it sure seems crazy to me that they were all completely unaware of the studies and science that was already investigated determining that such a flaw existed but never underestimate the power of silo mentality.

Sorry but you can't just rely on podcasts as evidence without at least identifying the source cited in the podcast.  This goes for both unofficial and official podcasts.

He cited the interviews with everyone from the control room and the trial transcripts.

But I’m sure those are “fake news” too, right?

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

He cited the interviews with everyone from the control room and the trial transcripts.

But I’m sure those are “fake news” too, right?

Hahaha just put Fozz on ignore. I wouldn’t recommend anybody putting themselves through this torture but if you were to look at his posting history, you’d see that his takes on just about everything range from flat out wrong to utterly moronic, but rest assured he’ll continue to post ad nauseam regardless of how many times he’s shown to be incorrect.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So are those types of reactors still in service today in modern Russia or former SSR?  

Yes and no. They retrofitted them after Legasov died to fix that safety issue, but there are still RBMK reactors operating in Russia. However, I don’t believe they build any of the new ones with that same design.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

So are those types of reactors still in service today in modern Russia or former SSR?  

there are 10 rbmk reactors still operating...all in russia.  3 in smolensk.  4 in kursk, 3 in sosnovy bor.

they have all been retrofitted though to avoid what happen at chernobyl thanks to our show's white knight.