Alley damage and construction companies

We live in Dallas on a corner lot that is pie shaped. Garbage trucks, utility trucks, etc used to cut the corner when making the bend and had eroded a significant amount of the back yard between the back fence and the concrete alley. The trucks left huge wheel ruts that would collect water and cause mosquito problems. We filled the eroded section in with gravel to make a French drain of sorts. We also started putting our trash cans on our back yard between the fence and the alley at the bend, more or less forcing trucks to stay on the paved alley rather than cutting the corner which has worked for a while.

Now, neighbors down the street are putting in a pool. Dump truck comes through the alley way this morning and moves our trash cans down the alley and cuts the corner putting a huge wheel rut in the area we filled in with gravel.

My wife goes over to the house where they’re putting the pool in to talk to the foreman. She explains the issues we’ve had and that is why we put the trash cans (which are on our yard, between fence and paved alley) so we’d appreciate if they left our trash cans alone, they are there for a reason, and stop cutting the corner/driving over our yard. The foreman is an asshole- basically tells her that the alley is city property, not ours. They’re going to be bringing trucks through there for the next few weeks, there’s nothing we can do about it. If we’ve got a problem- take it up with city.

the plan is to put in big landscaping boulders to block the area in question but can’t get them in for a few days.

is the foreman correct? Is there any recourse to prevent them from driving through the back section of our yard even though it’s not fenced in?

Do you have a copy of your lot survey? If so it should show exactly what’s yours and any right of ways. If you don’t have one you should be able to get a neighborhood plat at the county tax assessor office. If they’re driving on your property and there is no right of way tell the job foreman, and the other home owner, that you will be suing for damages.

31 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

the plan is to put in big landscaping boulders to block the area in question but can’t get them in for a few days.

Get the boulders delivered asap. Having them installed mid-project will be a nice "fuck you" to both the foreman and your neighbor. 

Hell, write "fuck you, [construction company]" on them with chalk when they're first put in so that the message is unmistakable. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 3

It is almost certainly your property subj to a gas/power row, but who cares who owns it-are you going to shoot or take trespassers to small claims court?

Sorry to say, but it will get worse before it gets better. I'd wait until landscappers/fence/etc. are done and deal with pool Co or owners then. Strong chance anything you repair or fortify now will be disturbed again just because of the nature of construction.

Same just happened to me. Mud from ruts and sand/gravel from concrete and landscaping ran down alley and past my house down street curb for months, but at completion of pool SOMEONE repaired the ruts and cleaned up the dirt and debris (workers food wrappers, etc. too). I was eventually going to ask my neighbor to fix, but didn't even have the chance.

You could use the city of Dallas app to report the shit out of every little violation of the 7am7pm noise rule, alley blocking, construction fence problems, etc. if you want to I guess tho.

30 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Get the boulders delivered asap. Having them installed mid-project will be a nice "fuck you" to both the foreman and your neighbor. 

Hell, write "fuck you, [construction company]" on them with chalk when they're first put in so that the message is unmistakable. 

Please forgive Prepuce.  He's getting soft in his old age.  He meant to type "spray paint" instead of "chalk".