Texas State @ Texas

petscii

2 minutes ago, petscii said:

7:45-8 PM first pitch maybe

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well at least this means I might be in bed before the bullpen starts giving up homers.

So Valmy77 -- You're headed to bed between 7:50-8pm then?? 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

Actually, this might be good for 'em.  I don't give a flying fuck who says what, if you've played baseball enough you know that the first thing you want to do when you're sucking this badly is to get the fuck away from the field for awhile.  

They should just go do finals and watch Family Guy and just show up next weekend without doing shit, and play loose.  Anything else just seems to be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Actually, this might be good for 'em.  I don't give a flying fuck who says what, if you've played baseball enough you know that the first thing you want to do when you're sucking this badly is to get the fuck away from the field for awhile.  

They should just go do finals and watch Family Guy and just show up next weekend without doing shit, and play loose.  Anything else just seems to be worse.

"I can get us a rainout."

b1abb501-e7f0-4a5e-a0dd-cb03f3f65ee8_scr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Reading this reminds me of when I was a kid hunting with my grandfather.

Shot a spike through the heart and he took off running.

I said, "I missed him Grandad!"

He said, "Naw, he's dead.  Just don't know it yet."

Semper Fi Grandad.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, phdhorn said:

This is exactly right.  I hope they got shitfaced as a team multiple days and they come out and sweep OU. Nothing like a 3-day bender and collectively banging a bunch of rando whores to break a slump. Maybe some opioids or edibles too.   

• 1 month later...

I'm relieved.  Until this season, the program was in a downward spiral, and there was no way he was getting fired because 1) his health and 2) we have the world's biggest pussy as athletic director and Ty is the leader of the coaches across sports.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm relieved.  Until this season, the program was in a downward spiral, and there was no way he was getting fired because 1) his health and 2) we have the world's biggest pussy as athletic director and Ty is the leader of the coaches across sports.

Yup, hear you. The question is, do you trust Teis to make a good hire?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yup, hear you. The question is, do you trust Teis to make a good hire?

I wouldn't trust Teis to hire a guy to mow the practice field.  And what makes is worse is that Trauth and Joanne Smith are going to be on that hiring committee.

Edited by Beau Vine

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Just confirmed with a member of the coaching staff.  They're already interviewing for his replacement.

Yeah, I did not want to reveal my source, but he was in the room when Ty made the announcement to the baseball staff.

Best to Ty (Lifetime Longhorn) and his family.

Just completed his 20th year at Texas St,  even number to retire.   Hope it is not health related.   Maybe he can replace Galindo and broadcast the games with Keith and Greg. 

After 20 years as @TxStateBaseball head coach, Ty Harrington steps away from the sport he loves. He'll now put his trademark passion into his family life and a new "dream" business venture w/a friend. Really enjoyed covering Harrington the past two decades. He'll keep winning.

https://twitter.com/txstatebaseball?lang=en

And he coached baseball.

That would become Harrington’s passion, starting with a discussion of his prospects with the legendary Cliff Gustafson before his senior season at Texas. He’d known he wasn’t about to dislodge Todd Haney or Bill Bates from an infield spot, so he confided in Coach Gus that he wanted to be his student coach the next year.

He did exactly that, and he then coached at Blinn and Northeast Texas Community College — where he won a national junior college championship — and then spent 20 highly productive seasons in San Marcos. Now he’s setting down his bucket for good.

“He’s special,” former Longhorns teammate Doug Hodo said of a player so respected, he was a captain on a College World Series team even though he wasn’t a starter.

“Best teammate ever,” said another, Rusty Richards. “When you scored a run, he’d be the first one in the dugout to greet you.”

Greg Swindell, an All-America pitcher at Texas, said Harrington “was always destined to be a coach.”

Hodo said Harrington had confided in several former teammates that he was contemplating leaving the game. “Losing is painful,” Hodo said. “It can be brutal.”

Even if Harrington was accustomed to loss and suffering.

His parents, Lee and Elaine, were tragically killed when their Chevy Trailblazer was hit by a dump truck in 2006. But there he was, delivering a heartfelt eulogy at First Baptist Church in Waco. That’s a strong spirit.

He’d gone through a divorce. But he rediscovered love.

He was diagnosed with Stage 3 rectal cancer in 2015 when a tumor the size of a quarter was found to be malignant, and he fought through surgery and debilitating chemotherapy and radiation. He lost 35 pounds but never his will and came back to spend 13 games that season in uniform. He’s clean now but says, “I don’t ever dare cancer.”

The allure of more time with wife Leila and daughters Melaine, Emma and Alle, and a new challenge working with a private equity fund based in San Antonio were too tempting.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190620/bohls-after-32-years-texas-states-ty-harrington-turns-page

Edited by torre

His parents were awesome.  You could talk to his dad for 2 minutes and know he was a former coach.  His mom would sit in a lawn chain waaaay down the line past the bullpen, near the outfield fence, and would scream at the umpires.  One time, I asked her why she always sat down there.  She said something like, "Have you heard what some of those idiots in the stands yell at my son?  It's better for the general peace if I stay away from them."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

His parents were awesome.  You could talk to his dad for 2 minutes and know he was a former coach.  His mom would sit in a lawn chain waaaay down the line past the bullpen, near the outfield fence, and would scream at the umpires.  One time, I asked her why she always sat down there.  She said something like, "Have you heard what some of those idiots in the stands yell at my son?  It's better for the general peace if I stay away from them."

giphy.gif