SA Constables Run Protection Racket at Local Park

Viper

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Constable-squeezed-cash-from-Easter-reveler-at-13808681.php

Constable squeezed cash from Easter reveler at county park

Brian Chasnoff April 30, 2019 Updated: May 1, 2019 6:29 a.m.

For more than a decade, Jesus Reyes has rented the same pavilion in Rodriguez Park on the West Side for his family to enjoy on Easter Sunday, always making sure to reserve it a year in advance.

This year was no different; Reyes reserved the space April 27, 2018, county officials said.

But when he and his relatives arrived on Easter morning to set up for the day’s festivities, Bexar County Constable Michelle Barrientes Vela appeared in uniform and told them they were mistaken.

The pavilion, Vela told him, was reserved for her family.

Reyes refused to move.

A park manager confirmed Reyes had reserved the pavilion and had not “canceled,” as Vela was insisting. The constable then required Reyes to pay her and her chief deputy $50 an hour for security as her own family regrouped at a nearby BBQ pit.

When Reyes balked, the constable “advised him that there were new rules, and that the last person in charge was crooked,” a Sheriff’s Office report on the incident states.

For the rest of the day, the 48-year-old truck driver shelled out cash to the constable and her chief deputy, Anthony Castillo, until he paid $300 and ran out of money. Vela and Castillo each pocketed half of the payments.

Reyes said that, at around 7 p.m., one of Vela’s deputies told him that he and his family had to leave the park.

“My wife just said, ‘Just pay her the money before we get ran off,’” Reyes said. “Some of these law enforcement agents, you’re not going to beat them. And when I find out she’s the boss, who am I going to go complain to? It’s like, I’m going to complain to the boss who just extorted the money out of you? I’m not going to win.”

Vela insisted the arrangement was appropriate because some of Reyes’ family members were drinking alcohol.

“If they have alcohol present, we have to have security out there because of TABC requirements,” she said.

But county officials said Vela overstepped her authority.

On ExpressNews.com: Vela has feuded with other county officials

“That is not the way this is supposed to work,” Bexar Heritage and Parks Department Director Betty Bueché said. “We did have security at virtually every other county park. At Rodriguez Park, Constable Vela decided to be there herself, and that was not part of the plan that we had.”

The county, Bueché said, already had arranged to pay peace officers to provide security at all county parks on Easter Sunday — at a rate of $38 an hour. Mark Olivares, a Harlandale Independent School District police officer, coordinated security for the county.

Vela had bridled against that arrangement.

“When she contacted me, she was very hostile to me over the phone,” Olivares said. “She said, ‘Who do you think you are? This is my park.’”

Olivares relented, allowing Vela to provide security at Rodriguez Park. But the officers at the other county parks did not charge Easter revelers for security, Olivares said.

“Since officers already were on-site, we didn’t charge people at the pavilions,” he said. “That’s the county working with the clients, especially on Easter Sunday. There’s no need to be charging if you already have officers out there to begin with.”

Bexar County Commissioner Justin Rodriguez, who shares Precinct 2 with Vela, said the constable was out of line.

“Certainly if she was demanding a dollar amount that was above and beyond that $38, then certainly I would say that was beyond the scope that she had discussed with the county staff office,” Rodriguez said.

Notice she's only out of line because she charged too much.

Guest Lobo

Extorting working class Hispanics, in San Antonio, on the West Side, on Easter.  That's fucking cold-blooded.  
Wait until they hear what happened at the Quinceinera.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Was any disciplinary action taken? Does it say so in the article and I’m missing it? All it says was that she was “out of line”. I tend to give cops the benefit of the doubt but this is total bullshit

Yes.  She'll be promoted.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Was any disciplinary action taken? Does it say so in the article and I’m missing it? All it says was that she was “out of line”. I tend to give cops the benefit of the doubt but this is total bullshit

Paid vacations all around! Then once it blows over, they'll get her back in the line of duty

She's an elected county official, so she only answers to the citizens.  She can be voted out or a citizen of Bexar County can file a petition to remove her from office for official misconduct.  I hope that someone does.

She can also be removed following a conviction for official misconduct.  The County Attorney could and should file charges.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 2

A google search is fun.  On her facebook, she proclaims to be a "guardian of the children," despite the fact that Constables have less to do with protecting children than your average LEO.

She's also been accused of sexually harassing deputies.  https://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/lawsuit-accuses-precinct-2-constable-of-trying-to-caress-deputy-in-hot-tub-during-work-trip

She arrested and charged one of the accusing deputies with aggravated perjury, and the Bexar DA declined to prosecute. https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/Affidavit-Deputy-lied-about-complaints-filed-13810606.php

• Like 2

First off, just wow. Wow on so many levels. 

Second, no way in hell would I have paid money in that situation. I would've taken back my site that I (probably) paid for which would've undoubtedly put me in hand cuffs, all while being recorded.

Fuck the police. This isn't like the old days where you can get away with shake downs and intimidation with ease. Take me to jail on this one and I'm sure some really nice attorney would be begging me to let him handle the case.

Why are people such pussies?

• Like 1

For reference.  https://www.county.org/About-Texas-Counties/About-Texas-County-Officials/Texas-County-Constable

Constables correspond to JP precincts and help the JP carry out its functions.  Accordingly, they provide bailiffs for the JP courts and serve process from the JP courts, including lawsuit citations, subpoenas, warrants, and probably most significantly, writs of possession (the actual eviction) in forcible entry and detainer (eviction) cases.

They are licensed peace officers, and can write tickets and make arrests, but most don't do much of that.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They are licensed peace officers, and can write tickets and make arrests, but most don't do much of that.

Bullshit, at least in the places I've lived and travelled. Every last one of them has expanded their duties.  I follow a few on facebook, such as Comal Precint 4 who's big thing appears to be 18 wheeler interdiction. The also do a fuckton of traffic patrols.

One way to rein them in is for the Sheriff's departments to keep pushing back on the Commisioner's Courts to reduce funding for constables, like they did in this bitch's precinct in Bexar. Tell the fuckers to do the job they are constitutionally required to do and leave the other policing to arguably better trained organizations.    

This rant brought to you by: The constable that pulled me over on 130 on the way to COTA a couple of visits ago.  

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For reference.  https://www.county.org/About-Texas-Counties/About-Texas-County-Officials/Texas-County-Constable

Constables correspond to JP precincts and help the JP carry out its functions.  Accordingly, they provide bailiffs for the JP courts and serve process from the JP courts, including lawsuit citations, subpoenas, warrants, and probably most significantly, writs of possession (the actual eviction) in forcible entry and detainer (eviction) cases.

Hays County definitely does.  They seem to be more active than the sheriff's department.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hays County definitely does.  They seem to be more active than the sheriff's department.

Probably a function of population.  In Dallas, Tarrant, and Travis counties, they don't do much.  I've seen people blow by constables in Dallas and FW at fairly shocking rates of speed (80-85-90), and not with traffic) with nary a peep from the Constable man, who must have a fistful of things to serve.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Bell County constables all have newer, nicer cars then the sheriff's dept. With extremely dark windows and windshields, and faint ghost letters of constable on the side. Who are they trying to sneak up on? Cowards. 

Edited by Fuck Tim Beck

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I've always been confused about the duties of constables and sheriffs for counties like Harris where a city almost fills the whole damn county. The city has its own PD. Why do you need these other rednecks?

"Together, the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, the Harris County Constable Offices, the Houston Police Department (HPD), the 29 small city police forces, and the more than 20 other law enforcement agencies operating in Harris County spend at least $1.6 billion per year on law enforcement. Together, these more than 60 law enforcement agencies in the county employ approximately 12,000 sworn officers."

https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/handle/1911/105228/KI_2018_LawEnforcement.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

I have no sympathy or respect for that guy. He had it coming. What kind of pussy reserves his park pavilion for Easter a year in advance? You must go puro San Antonio, get your happy ass down to Brackenridge Park a solid week in advance to mark off your turf and then have various members of your family camp out overnight taking shifts until Easter Sunday. That's how it's done here. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Good article. Page 25, 2-1, "Consolidate or rearrange duties between Sheriff and Constables." covers the overlap and provides some options of getting constables back to what they were originally envisioned as doing.

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I've always been confused about the duties of constables and sheriffs for counties like Harris where a city almost fills the whole damn county. The city has its own PD. Why do you need these other rednecks?

?

The City of Houston doesn't come close to filling all of Harris County.

image.png

In Dallas County our constables were in a protection racket towing cars and then getting kickbacks from the tow yard owners. Many were convicted of felonies as a result. To safeguard the Dallas citizens from future constables, the entire office was striken of many powers and now cannot even use red/blue lights on their vehicles. Many of their law enforcement powers are gone as well.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

In Dallas County our constables were in a protection racket towing cars and then getting kickbacks from the tow yard owners. Many were convicted of felonies as a result. To safeguard the Dallas citizens from future constables, the entire office was striken of many powers and now cannot even use red/blue lights on their vehicles nor do they many law enforcement powers.

Did they throw rocks from the overpasses as well?? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is one constable I encounter every day on the way to my kids' school that his sole function in life is apparently to pull over people who don't come to a complete stop for at least a second at the stop sign.  He sits and pulls people over every morning between Richmond and San Felipe on Drexel.  Been doing it at least 7 years since my son began school.  In uniform.  Not off duty.  Cannot stand him.

9 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

In Dallas County our constables were in a protection racket towing cars and then getting kickbacks from the tow yard owners. Many were convicted of felonies as a result. To safeguard the Dallas citizens from future constables, the entire office was striken of many powers and now cannot even use red/blue lights on their vehicles. Many of their law enforcement powers are gone as well.

I remembered that, but didn't remember any broad solution.  Probably explains why they don't seem to do much routine law enforcement or ticket-writing.  Seems to apply to Tarrant County, too, but you see far fewer of them.  I probably see one a week on Central or the Toll Road or various other big streets/highways in Dallas.  I don't drive as much in Tarrant County, but see far fewer on 30 and 35.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Did they throw rocks from the overpasses as well?? 

No. The tow company ducked the charges when the DA's paperwork for the case went missing. Charges dropped. Chris Nasrallah runs the tow yards and primarily targets(still to this day) illegal aliens who could not prove ownership of the vehicles towed. As a result he often kept the cars and dismantled them for sale. He also launders money by purchasing large amounts of diamonds with cash out of a Highland Park Village jewelry store and then takes them to Kuwait, Jordan and eventually Syria and Iran. His son Chris Nasrallah Jr is currently facing charges of beating his wife. He is out on bail and the court has a hard time finding him as he is often in Syria, Jordan and Iran per the courts notes.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

41 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I thought they just served warrants or some shit like that. 

I've got an older friend who's been a Constable for probably 40 years. He don't do shit, lol. Organizes an annual charity event that gets special needs folks a chance to spend a day fishing. As far as I know he's never carried a gun, issued a ticket or arrested anyone and is one of the most laid back folks I know.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Second, no way in hell would I have paid money in that situation. I would've taken back my site that I (probably) paid for which would've undoubtedly put me in hand cuffs, all while being recorded.

Fuck the police. This isn't like the old days where you can get away with shake downs and intimidation with ease. Take me to jail on this one and I'm sure some really nice attorney would be begging me to let him handle the case.

You must be white. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Easy to take that position (I would have thought the same thing 10 years ago), but are you a father organizing an Easter event for your extended family on Easter Sunday?  Worth completely ruining that over this?  I get that's what this lady was counting on but he exposed it on the back end without completely ruining his family holiday.  Not a bad approach to take IMO.  I would have told her up front I was going to expose her, recorded it, and if she was dumb enough to persist, paid her a few hundred bucks and went on with my day.  And even if she did back down based on the threat, I still would have exposed her for the attempt.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

She's an elected county official, so she only answers to the citizens.  She can be voted out or a citizen of Bexar County can file a petition to remove her from office for official misconduct.  I hope that someone does.

She can also be removed following a conviction for official misconduct.  The County Attorney could and should file charges.

She should shoot a black guy in the line of duty, it would probably give her a bump in favorability rating these days.

• Haha 1