4 Days in Denver

ETHorn

Headed to Denver with the girlfriend early Friday morning and returning Tuesday.  1 or 2 days of hiking will definitely be on the agenda, but looking for any other "must do/see" recommendations.  Staying in Golden with a rental car.  Any advice appreciated.  

https://www.redrocksonline.com/events/category/Concerts

I've never heard of the two shows at Red Rocks in your time frame, but if you have, I would definitely recommend a show there.  Looks like the Padres are in town this weekend if you're into baseball.  Blake Street Tavern is near the stadium and will be packed before the game, but even with a crowd we've always had decent service and the food is pretty good.  

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Sure, if you want to spend two of the four days in a car for 7-8 hours.

Or you can just take the short flight from Denver to Montrose...

I was only half=kidding about going there.  I recognize the distance, having taken a dozen trips there, as well as most of the resort towns in Co.

We just did this 2 months ago. All the good food is in Denver. Food was better than expected in general though  

Boulder is super close if you want to visit. 

All the trails are awesome but take water and snacks as the altitude takes time to adjust. 

Touristy sites would skip as the value is the natural beauty is the best part of Colorado  

Didn’t they just legalize mushrooms 

Casa Bonita... j/k, 

Stranahan's Distillery is pretty cool if you're hitting  the downtown area/ seeing a Rockies game.  I liked it better than some of the brewery tours I've done through the years.

Edited by slorch

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Skip Golden and go spend the 4 days in Breckenridge.

11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Skip both and go spend 4 days in Telluride

Skip all of them and go spend 4 days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

I literally just got back from this same trip on Tuesday.

• Walk around Denver - specifically 18th Street - and hit up all the little breweries and food markets
  • Indian Hot Springs at Idaho Springs
  • Garden of the Gods in Manitoba Springs (east of Colorado Springs) and Royal Gorge if the weather is conducive (was too windy for the cable car over the gorge)
  • Like 1

To touch on Js' post, he means Manitou Springs, but Garden of the Gods is pretty cool, and relatively easy hiking.  Distance from Golden isn't too bad, but traffic on I-25 can be a bitch.  If you head down there, we've done the cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak a couple of times and thought it was worth the money.  You'll see more fat little marmots in four hours than you will for the rest of your life.  

Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs is pretty good, too.

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

To touch on Js' post, he means Manitou Springs, but Garden of the Gods is pretty cool, and relatively easy hiking.  Distance from Golden isn't too bad, but traffic on I-25 can be a bitch.  If you head down there, we've done the cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak a couple of times and thought it was worth the money.  You'll see more fat little marmots in four hours than you will for the rest of your life.  

Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs is pretty good, too.

Careful not to poach the marmots and eat their raw innards, though...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/08/couple-ate-raw-marmot-believed-have-health-benefits-then-they-died-plague/?utm_term=.89916e5831fe

Weather can still be sketchy this time of year, beautiful one day and wintery the next day.

Only thing I can add is maybe a day trip to Estes Park for hiking in RMNP or Fort Collins for rafting on Cache la Poudre River.

Driving on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs has become a headache, especially if there is an accident.

Someone mentioned Beau Jo's Pizza which left me jonesing for a mountain pie...we used to always stop in Idaho Springs after skiing but they now have locations in Ft Collins & Denver.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, ETHorn said:

Headed to Denver with the girlfriend.  looking for any other "must do/see" recommendations.  Any advice appreciated.  

If you're going to Colorado and really need something to do with your time the correct answer is always ...

37301752-1024x731.jpg

5b3c90ca9307a-image.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, Kennythetiger said:

https://www.redrocksonline.com/events/category/Concerts

I've never heard of the two shows at Red Rocks in your time frame, but if you have, I would definitely recommend a show there.  Looks like the Padres are in town this weekend if you're into baseball.  Blake Street Tavern is near the stadium and will be packed before the game, but even with a crowd we've always had decent service and the food is pretty good.  

I prefer Falling Rock Taphouse pregame.  Over 100 beers on tap.  They usually have Pliny but it isn't on the list.  You have to ask.

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

What dt or nearby area restaurants and breweries would you recommend? Fun neighborhoods to explore? 

Food sucks in Golden.  Hop on light rail (or drive) and go downtown - it's only 15 min away.  Lots of options there.  Work & Class, Cart Driver, Stoic & Genuine, Mercantile Dining & Provision are some of my favorites, but Denver has a ton of great restaurants these days.  Rino has a ton of breweries if that's your thing.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, ETHorn said:

Headed to Denver with the girlfriend early Friday morning and returning Tuesday.  1 or 2 days of hiking will definitely be on the agenda, but looking for any other "must do/see" recommendations.  Staying in Golden with a rental car.  Any advice appreciated.  

The only must-eat food in Golden is Bonfire Burritos.  Get a breakfast burrito (Little Giant Classic with Chorizo).  You're welcome.

Just moved here from Bay Area about a year ago. Food scene is definitely better than I was expecting. Some go to's are: Sushi Den, Citizen Rail, Tocabe, Acorn, El Noa Noa, El Taco De MX. City O' City or Snooze Inn for breakfast. Denver has a beautiful backdrop but it's essentially flat like Kansas -- take a day trip to Boulder, Red Rocks, Estes Park or Garden of the Gods. 

15 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I’ll be staying in dt Denver. Thanks for the recs. Breweries are my thing. Especially ones that are not too ipa focused (tough find these days).

I visited there last August for a Rockies game.   There are a lot of breweries near Coors Field.   I’m not big into IPAs either and found plenty of good beer.  The River North (Rino) neighborhood directly to the NE of Coors Field is being rapidly redeveloped and is loaded with places to eat and drink.  

• Like 1

I did this trip last month. Check out The Ramble if you haven’t booked your hotel yet. Really cool vibe and walking distance to plenty of bars/restaurants/Coors Field. The bar downstairs makes some really fantastic cocktails.