4 Days in Denver

ETHorn

• 2 months later...

Looks like I’ll be driving down to Denver for a few days at the end of the month. Wife has a work thing in Arvada, my only appointment will be to take my kids to Coors Field. 

Looking for hotel recs near the ballpark (I see the rec a few posts up) and food and museums/other shit in that area that are kid friendly. 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Looks like I’ll be driving down to Denver for a few days at the end of the month. Wife has a work thing in Arvada, my only appointment will be to take my kids to Coors Field. 

Looking for hotel recs near the ballpark (I see the rec a few posts up) and food and museums/other shit in that area that are kid friendly. 

Ritz Carlton is walking distance to the park.  Stueben's is a great place for breakfast.  

I think most MLB teams stay at the Ritz when they play in Denver but also within walking distance to the park are The Maven, Grand Hyatt, Hotel Indigo, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and the Kimpton. If you all are going to stay in 1 room and if you carry certain amex cards, the room upgrade that comes from booking on the amex site using the Fine Hotels and Resorts Benefit can be great.

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

Take in a Rockies game.  If time permits, drive out to Independence Pass for the day and do a small hike across the continental divide?  

The views from Independence Pass are impressive but the drive up to the Divide is the most white knuckle thing I have ever done.  And it's quite a haul from Denver.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The views from Independence Pass are impressive but the drive up to the Divide is the most white knuckle thing I have ever done.  And it's quite a haul from Denver.  

Yeah, that's not a very fun day trip from Denver.  You'll spend all day in the car.  Aspen is pretty, though.  

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I ctually think the drive back down is worse.  When you're on that last stretch of road, and you're on the outside (not next to the mountain, but inches away from a 1k foot plummet with no guard rail) is about as rough a drive as imaginable.  Luckily when I was making the drive back down it was so early no other cars were around so I drove in the lane next to the rock wall.  that is no doubt a white knuckle drive, but damn if it isn't the most scenic.  

30 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I ctually think the drive back down is worse.  When you're on that last stretch of road, and you're on the outside (not next to the mountain, but inches away from a 1k foot plummet with no guard rail) is about as rough a drive as imaginable.  Luckily when I was making the drive back down it was so early no other cars were around so I drove in the lane next to the rock wall.  that is no doubt a white knuckle drive, but damn if it isn't the most scenic.  

I’ve found that I prefer the uphill driving when doing mountain pass drives. Better to feather the accelerator than to stand on the brakes, less likely to head into a turn carrying too much speed.

looks like we’ll end doing the Atlanta game. 1 pm game on a Monday because it’s a makeup game, should be lots of empty seats for the kids to chase foul or hr balls

I did the Independence Pass drive into Aspen last Sunday.  It was 45 degrees out and raining and I was driving in a cloud at dusk.

Also I was hungover from my brother's wedding the night before.

It was not the most pleasant experience I have ever had.  

22 minutes ago, huge said:

I did the Independence Pass drive into Aspen last Sunday.  It was 45 degrees out and raining and I was driving in a cloud at dusk.

Your brother get married in Leadville or something?

46 minutes ago, huge said:

I did that drive exactly the same day.  I went through there around 1:30, stopped at the divide, and hiked around a bit.  By the time we left it was 49 and starting to drizzle.  It's stunning for sure, but yeah, that drive is no effing joke especially in a little shit box SUV with shit handling like I had.  

• Like 1

Denver to Manitou Springs is not a horrible distance.  You could let them blow off steam at Garden of the Gods and then take the tram railway to the top of Pike's Peak.  Pretty cool things to do for 10-year olds I think.  There are also cliff dwellings that are good for kids to stretch their legs and seem interesting.

I've never visited this place or heard much about it, but might be worth looking into:  https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/the-refuge

33 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Denver to Manitou Springs is not a horrible distance.  You could let them blow off steam at Garden of the Gods and then take the tram railway to the top of Pike's Peak.  Pretty cool things to do for 10-year olds I think.  There are also cliff dwellings that are good for kids to stretch their legs and seem interesting.

I've never visited this place or heard much about it, but might be worth looking into:  https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/the-refuge

Cog train on Pikes Peak is closed indefinitely.  Shit's borked and they can't find parts.  Sounds like it will be at least a couple years until it's running again.

47 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I live 50 miles from Yellowstone park so we don’t need to head to the Rockies to do that stuff.  It’s the museums and shit that I’m interested in taking them. 

On 8/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, Chewbacca said:

Cog train on Pikes Peak is closed indefinitely.  Shit's borked and they can't find parts.  Sounds like it will be at least a couple years until it's running again.

Maybe it's drawings they can't find.  If they find the drawings they can get the parts made this week.  Maybe there's more to it. 

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Maybe it's drawings they can't find.  If they find the drawings they can get the parts made this week.  Maybe there's more to it. 

The whole thing needs to be rebuilt/refurbished from what I understand and that the private company running the thing would need public help for it to financially pencil out.   I had to drive to the top last August, but it was awesome.  Paved road to top but construction at summit limited parking.  I got there early enough to avoid being forced on to a (free) shuttle bus from one of the mid elevation parking areas.

15 hours ago, Sundodger said:

The whole thing needs to be rebuilt/refurbished from what I understand and that the private company running the thing would need public help for it to financially pencil out.   I had to drive to the top last August, but it was awesome.  Paved road to top but construction at summit limited parking.  I got there early enough to avoid being forced on to a (free) shuttle bus from one of the mid elevation parking areas.

The Broadmoor hotel owns it (and Phil Anschutz owns the Broadmoor), so it will get fixed, just will take some time.

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

I noticed SWA having a fare deal on a flight from SA to Denver this fall.  Sounds like there is pretty much nothing to do other than drinking, eating and getting high.   Sounds like a great little wknd to me.

Yep. Going the last weekend of September for FC Dallas vs Colorado. Those 3 things are my only plans

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
20 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Shit is old and nobody makes pats anymore. Sounds like they must be having custom parts made up.

From 2018 article..

What started as routine maintenance has become an entire replacement of the rail system. New trains and new track are being made.

Trains cost several million dollars each and take about two years to make. Those trains use a different kind of cog so the track must be replaced as well. Cog trains are only made by two companies in the world, the Visit Pikes Peak website said.

“Keep in mind that track winds through otherwise undisturbed forestry land, with no road access.  That means that all the materials used for the track will have to be taken up by train … trains that already need to be replaced,” the website said.  “Couple that with the issues and hoops finding contractors willing and able to work at that elevation who have never had cog rail experience and you can imagine that they have quite a puzzle to solve.”

The railway’s parent company, Oklahoma Publishing, told the Colorado Springs Gazette that the construction will cost nearly $100 million and is expected to begin next spring.

• Like 1

Frontier has great prices. Booked my GF's 3 kids on flight this week from SAT to COS for $270 total, paying for one bag for all 3 to use. We drove 5+ hours from SW Colorado to pick them up and the flight gets cancelled a couple hours before departure. That was the only Frontier flight. They offered $400 a ticket towards rebooking on another airline, but there was nothing else suitable. Ended up taking $500 in travel vouchers per ticket. Which sounds great, but you have to use in one booking and under that person's name. Hopefully they send two $250 vouchers per ticket so we at least get 2 free round trips per person out of it. Even after wasting 10 hours driving around Colorado, I would still use Frontier just cuz they are so cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from there. Whole top of the mountain is under construction for a new visitor center. No driving to the top. You have to take a shuttle from mile 7 or 16.82c76b2ad6a5bfcce5e8eb584e93f2d8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, po elvis said:

Frontier has great prices. Booked my GF's 3 kids on flight this week from SAT to COS for $270 total, paying for one bag for all 3 to use. We drove 5+ hours from SW Colorado to pick them up and the flight gets cancelled a couple hours before departure. That was the only Frontier flight. They offered $400 a ticket towards rebooking on another airline, but there was nothing else suitable. Ended up taking $500 in travel vouchers per ticket. Which sounds great, but you have to use in one booking and under that person's name. Hopefully they send two $250 vouchers per ticket so we at least get 2 free round trips per person out of it. Even after wasting 10 hours driving around Colorado, I would still use Frontier just cuz they are so cheap.

Oh, great.  Flying Frontier TYR to DEN in 3 weeks.  Not exactly a lot of nonstop flights to Denver out of TYR (hint, this is it), which is why I don't fly out of here in the first place for most destinations (return flight from DFW to TYR often (almost always) gets cancelled).  Wish me luck.  Because this purports to be a super cheap and easy trip to CO (anywhere) for me for the first time in 18 years of living here.

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

Oh, great.  Flying Frontier TYR to DEN in 3 weeks.  Not exactly a lot of nonstop flights to Denver out of TYR (hint, this is it), which is why I don't fly out of here in the first place for most destinations (return flight from DFW to TYR often (almost always) gets cancelled).  Wish me luck.  Because this purports to be a super cheap and easy trip to CO (anywhere) for me for the first time in 18 years of living here.

Why does TYR have a direct route with Denver?

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why does TYR have a direct route with Denver?

Because some one up there likes me?

We got it earlier this year.  I read that Frontier is doing Denver routes in a lot of smaller towns, the idea being that 90% of the population in the lower 48 states will be within 90 minutes of a Frontier non-stop destination from Denver.

Whatever the reason, I'm looking forward to a 15 minute drive to the airport and free parking.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be there 11/14-17.  Going with my son to visit School of Mines on Friday, staying in Golden on Thursday night.  Staying at the Crawford in Union Station Friday and Saturday night.  Anywhere close by to eat, drink and watch college football all day Saturday that will let in a 17-year old (he doesn't get to do the drinking part)?  Looks like the Denver Texas Exes have their gamewatching at Choppers, so that's a possibility, but I wanted to see if anyplace near our hotel would be a better option.

17 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Last home series.  Should be great weather.  I'd take a sweatshirt or jeans, gets fairly chilly at night now.  We were pleasantly surprised with the food at Blake Street Tavern when we ate there before a game- just a short walk to the park.  You're not too far away from Snooze for breakfast.

14 hours ago, thestud said:

Viewhouse is a decent spot. Wynkoop Brewing has badass beers. Oskar Blues was solid when I was there. That’s all I’ve got unless you want to go to Yardhouse and spend your whole paycheck chasing boujee bitches.

Thanks for the recs. Land around 1215 so have some time to explore before the game.