HBO's Watchmen series

mdmost

Yes, I think this will be more sourced from the events in the graphic novel and not from the movie. I think Veidt is the only returning character from the graphic novel. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yes, I think this will be more sourced from the events in the graphic novel and not from the movie. I think Veidt is the only returning character from the graphic novel. 

Except the Movie was pretty close to the comic books except for the way it ended(and the spirit was the same, just the execution was a little different).  This is definitely taking place after the movie/comic books events. Ozy is old in this.

• 2 months later...

The movie was probably my favorite super hero film after Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy.  I know I'm in the minority of people who loved the movie.

The Leftovers was also one of my all-time favorite television series.  There's no way I'm not watching this.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:30 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I’m not familiar with the movie or the source material, but the two reviews I’ve seen have been extremely positive, so I may give it a shot. You apparently don’t need to be clued into the story beforehand to enjoy it. 

The movie is awesome.   You should watch it anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Pretty solid beginning, though hopefully I get answers to some of the questions like who is the Jeremy Irons character and what's up with those squids falling from the sky.

I thought the way Jeremy Irons played the character made it somewhat obvious.  I won't spoil it on here, but IMDB confirms who he is if you're curious.

I need more.  This show is going to be both weird as shit and amazing.

Are we going to have to have a bookfag thread? 

The true identity of the Lord Of a Country Estate character is painfully obvious if you read the comic. 

Liked that they were using an owl flyer.

The Tulsa scene at the beginning was brutal. Read up on that - it’s a real event and they didn’t over dramatize it. 

The overall feel of this show is on point. The world building was done by the comic, but the backstory of the last 30 years is going to be fun to unravel. 

This may be much closer to the comics, don't know, only seen the movie. I don't recall the racist stuff from the movie. Mostly I just recall it being a dystonian future and them setting up a character as a foil to bring thw world closer together. Not getting into specifics, for those who might want to watch the movie but have not done so yet.

• Like 1

Seems to be a very common thread now to intentionally confuse the audience and plan to fill you in on the blanks later. Or tell the story out of sequence. While I can go along with that type of story telling, it can also be a gimmick to make up for a weak story. It can also make it difficult for casual viewers to stay engaged.

im a big fan of the movie so I’m in for the long haul.

Watchmen showrunner to GoT: it took you how many episodes to kill off a well known star?  Hold my beer.

I don't have any background in this and found the first episode extremely confusing.   I'll probably keep watching a bit because the other HBO shows I watch have ended, but I hope they explain some shit fast.  I hate it when shit is weird for the sake of being weird. 

8 hours ago, bamachine said:

This may be much closer to the comics, don't know, only seen the movie. I don't recall the racist stuff from the movie. Mostly I just recall it being a dystonian future and them setting up a character as a foil to bring thw world closer together. Not getting into specifics, for those who might want to watch the movie but have not done so yet.

This isn't a remake. It's a sequel with different characters set in a different part of the country.  The comic book/movie takes place in 1980's NYC and the Kalvary/white supremacy thing wasn't a part of it.  This is present day Tulsa.  So far Ozymandias is the only character from the original who has appeared on screen. 

This series looks like it's following the comic over the movie from the scene where they're driving home in the rain.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

This isn't a remake. It's a sequel with different characters set in a different part of the country.  The comic book/movie takes place in 1980's NYC and the Kalvary/white supremacy thing wasn't a part of it.  This is present day Tulsa.  So far Ozymandias is the only character from the original who has appeared on screen. 

This series looks like it's following the comic over the movie from the scene where they're driving home in the rain.  

Yeah, I did not think it was a remake. I knew it was more of a sequel. I was just not sure if the Kavalry thing was part of the comics or something made up for the show. I do know the opening Tulsa thing is based on a real event.

I'm supposed to watch it because it's set in Tulsa and everyone is talking about it. I have literally never heard the word "Watchmen" before this. Apparently there's a movie from 2009? Should I watch it to get a general gist of what this universe is about?

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm supposed to watch it because it's set in Tulsa and everyone is talking about it. I have literally never heard the word "Watchmen" before this. Apparently there's a movie from 2009? Should I watch it to get a general gist of what this universe is about?

Watchmen was a famous graphic novel in the 80’s that got made into a movie in 2009. The events of the book/movie are set in an alternate universe New York in the 80’s, while this show is a sequel set in present-day Oklahoma. It’s probably not a requirement, but it seems like a good idea to watch the movie or read the book first so you aren’t as confused by a number of things that the characters in the show accept as normal. 

41 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I would just so you can get a read on the Watchmen universe. As mentioned, this is a completely different story, but it's happening in that world.

3 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Nobody knows yet how that relates to the story. Some have said it was a pretty accurate description of the scene though.

Ok, thanks.    Yeah, I've read about that for yrs and was very frustrated that it wasn't more widely known.    I'm glad that it is being shown to a more mainstream audience but hope that it doesn't get dismissed due to the alt-history bent of the material.