HBO's Watchmen series

mdmost

The little boy from the Tulsa opening has a note from his mother that said “WATCH OVER THIS BOY”.

I’m fairly certain the Lou Gosset character (old black man in a wheelchair who killed Judd) was holding that same note when Angela found them.

(He also said some stuff in the preview for next week but I don’t know if y’all consider previews spoilers)

Interesting that some of y'all are saying you liked the movie. The movie was slammed hard by critics and fans alike.

I read the graphic novel the movie was based on when it first came out. One of the best works of fiction I had ever read at the time, and still one of my all time faves. I also liked the movie.

As for this series, I'll wait and binge later. Because that's how I watch television now.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The little boy from the Tulsa opening has a note from his mother that said “WATCH OVER THIS BOY”.

I’m fairly certain the Lou Gosset character (old black man in a wheelchair who killed Judd) was holding that same note when Angela found them.

(He also said some stuff in the preview for next week but I don’t know if y’all consider previews spoilers)

I thought he said he did not kill him, just hung him up at the tree.

As for Drifter's query, the movie was not critically acclaimed nor did it do well at the box office but it became kind of a cult hit.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:30 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I’m not familiar with the movie or the source material, but the two reviews I’ve seen have been extremely positive, so I may give it a shot. You apparently don’t need to be clued into the story beforehand to enjoy it. 

Yeah, I’m in the minority on the bolded part. Sure, I get the premise of all the agitation. But without context it reminds me of a number of short films I saw while in college in Germany. Film students of that era loved this kind of shit. 

9 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Couple of things I noticed on second watch. 1) anatomy of a squid poster in the classroom. 2) in the classroom there was a poster of the presidents. Sure looks like Robert Redford is president. Hence redfordations. 

Yes, after 20 years of hard right nixon and 1 term of Ford, the country has swung super liberal with 6(?) terms of Robert Redford. I need to watch it again, but the radio caller lists some political changes like a one month waiting period for gun purchases, I can't remember the others. 

I was blown away by the first episode.

I never read the graphic novel, but have watched the movie several times and really liked it... and yeah critics and hard-core fans of the graphic novel didn't like it, but I sure did.

It's super weird to see a show like this set in my home town and also start with the 1921 massacre in the Greenwood District, so a couple of stray observations on that point...

• They did their homework on the Greenwood district. The opening shots of Greenwood Ave. look spot on. It's also good to see some light shined on this terrible event. For nearly all of the 20th century, this event was shamefully ignored in Oklahoma. In recent years, the city has been doing a lot to educate the public about the event and also worked to redevelop/build up the Greenwood district (it's on the NE corner of downtown).
  • They didn't shoot anything in or around Tulsa (with the "Made in Georgia" logo in the credits, I'm assuming it was shot in and around Atlanta), but one thing I noticed in a few of the Tulsa skyline shots was that they did incorporate CGI shots of several real buildings in downtown Tulsa (including the one I work in), with some augmentations to represent the "alternate" reality of Watchmen. I thought that was a cool small detail that most people won't notice but I did.
  • The neighborhood that they were showing where Regina King lives is pretty spot on from a lot of the neighborhoods close to downtown Tulsa that were built in the 1930s-1950s. 
  • Cool that Tim Blake Nelson is one of the main characters, as he actually is from Tulsa.
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, 'stache said:

Apparently there's a movie from 2009? Should I watch it to get a general gist of what this universe is about?

You should watch it because it was released in the middle of the Marvel/XmenWeekoftheYearPast/Spiderman7/IronmanD  deluge of shitty copy paste comic book movies, and it was totally different - dark and weighty and satisfying.

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You should watch it because it was released in the middle of the Marvel/XmenWeekoftheYearPast/Spiderman7/IronmanD  deluge of shitty copy paste comic book movies, and it was totally different - dark and weighty and satisfying.

Agreed.

I honestly don't get why people don't like it. It's entertaining AF. 

I liked it the first time I saw it and have watched a bunch since. It was on HBO for a while there and it was one of those movies I could never turn down if I saw it was on.

13 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Just watched the first episode.

WTF was that?

I’m so lost.

I’m assuming you didn’t see the movie or read the graphic novel.

Here’s my best at a non-spoiler primer:

Watchmen exists in an alternative universe where “masked heroes” existed for most of the 20th Century. There was one actual “superhero” called “Dr. Manhattan” who used his superpowers to help the U.S. quickly win Vietnam. As result, the Constitution was changed and Nixon was President for 6 terms.

The original graphic novel/movie takes place in the mid 1980s at the peak of the Cold War. Nixon is still President and masked heroes have been outlawed. 

The outcome of the movie/graphic novel would be a pretty big spoiler if you want to watch it so I’ll leave that alone, but the HBO series is a “sequel” series set in the present day of that alternate universe.

I HIGHLY recommend watching the movie if you’re going to watch this show. There are a few differences between the movie and the novel, but you can look those up after you see the movie.

• Like 1

Saw the movie and it was just confused nonsense - a good idea but poorly executed.  But I really liked the Leftovers, so I gave this a shot. 

It's not really bad, but right now it has that "too many stories"/"too much information" feel.  Like one throwaway line in episode 2 will come back and be super important midway in season 3 if it gets that far.  HBO even put a bunch of "background reading" materials on their website, and it's 20+ pages of stuff.  I didn't sign up for a seminar.

It's kinda like Lost (which I hated) that way, now that I think about it.  

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Just watched the first episode.

WTF was that?

I’m so lost.

At this point, where they're world-building with all of the shows quirks, the audience is not *expected* to know much besides what is apparent:

* Alternate history

* Bad historical race relations

* Police are disguised due to high risk

* Extremist terrorist/hate group remerges

* Some "masked" non-superhero operating, including main female character

* Mysterious wealthy gentleman who may or may not be orchestrating all that villainy

There are some small cameos and such like a small scene in outer space with glowy blue guy; what the inkblot sock mask represents; how is there a bulbous flying vessel...none of that is required background knowledge. 

Just watch and let the story unfold.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

At this point, where they're world-building with all of the shows quirks, the audience is not *expected* to know much besides what is apparent:

* Alternate history

* Bad historical race relations

* Police are disguised due to high risk

* Extremist terrorist/hate group remerges

* Some "masked" non-superhero operating, including main female character

* Mysterious wealthy gentleman who may or may not be orchestrating all that villainy

There are some small cameos and such like a small scene in outer space with glowy blue guy; what the inkblot sock mask represents; how is there a bulbous flying vessel...none of that is required background knowledge. 

Just watch and let the story unfold.

That's pretty much what I took from what I saw (although I don't remember the outer space glowy blue guy).  Also there was some comment about interdimensional phenomena, which I assume is why there were dissolving squid falling from the sky.  I did see the movie but have virtually no recollection of it beyond Kelly Leake and Malin Ackerman's tits.

Edited by DDD Dad

25 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

That's pretty much what I took from what I saw (although I don't remember the outer space glowy blue guy).  Also there was some comment about interdimensional phenomena, which I assume is why there were dissolving squid falling from the sky.  I did see the movie but have virtually no recollection of it beyond Kelly Leake and Malin Ackerman's tits.

People who haven't read the Graphic Novel aren't going to understand the squid shit. It was glossed out of the movie in favor of something a little bit easier to digest. 

In the graphic novel, the grand conspiracy is that the Veidt created a Fake Alien to attack NY City to unite the planet and stave off nuclear annihilation that was ticking towards certainty. Humans stopped quibbling with each other and started getting along. That alien was like a giant squid amalgamation of sorts. 

There's a line in the show, I think it was in the interrogation in the Pod, where it asks if the guy believes hoaxes are a part of US government behavior. I'm guessing, but to me it seems pretty likely the raining squid are ongoing efforts by the US government (or all the world governments) to perpetuate the fear/idea that there are alien threats out there and to keep the peace on planet earth.

Someone else can correct me if I've missed or mistaken some details of the graphic novel, it's been a very long time since I read it. 

45 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a29475418/read-watchmen-comic-before-hbo-tv-show/

Esquire has a series of short articles around that that provides a sufficient background for those interested.  It's enrichment, but not requisite, IMO.

Supposedly we might see an appearance of tit woman.  Unfortunately not the actual tit woman or her tit, but her character

On 10/20/2019 at 11:59 PM, bamachine said:

This may be much closer to the comics, don't know, only seen the movie. I don't recall the racist stuff from the movie. Mostly I just recall it being a dystonian future and them setting up a character as a foil to bring thw world closer together. Not getting into specifics, for those who might want to watch the movie but have not done so yet.

Lindeloff has said that racism is the key issue of division here instead of the cold war in the comic/movie.

I've seen the movie, but not read the graphic novel.  The movie is paced deliberately, and I was warned about that going in, so I liked it.  But if you went in expecting The Boys (which steals from Watchmen a bit), that's not what the movie is.  

I might read the novel now.  My understanding is that part of the reason the folks that loved the novel didn't like the movie is that it slavishly followed the novel, but then chickened out at the end.  At least that's my recollection.

21 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Lindeloff has said that racism is the key issue of division here instead of the cold war in the comic/movie.

I've seen the movie, but not read the graphic novel.  The movie is paced deliberately, and I was warned about that going in, so I liked it.  But if you went in expecting The Boys (which steals from Watchmen a bit), that's not what the movie is.  

I might read the novel now.  My understanding is that part of the reason the folks that loved the novel didn't like the movie is that it slavishly followed the novel, but then chickened out at the end.  At least that's my recollection.

IIRC, the only major difference was that in the novel, it was a bio-engineered giant psychic squid that destroyed NY. In the movie, it was some sort of super weapon like an atomic bomb or something (can't remember the exact details). Both were supposedly an alien attack. I don't really remember any other major differences. I really don't get the hate the comic nerds have for the movie. I liked both, immensely. 

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

IIRC, the only major difference was that in the novel, it was a bio-engineered giant psychic squid that destroyed NY. In the movie, it was some sort of super weapon like an atomic bomb or something (can't remember the exact details). Both were supposedly an alien attack. I don't really remember any other major differences. I really don't get the hate the comic nerds have for the movie. I liked both, immensely. 

There's a reason why comic nerds are called nerds.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah in the movie he engineered some kind of nuclear-type blast that mimicked Dr. Manhattan's powers, so everyone blamed him. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

IT was not him chickening out at the end, as much as making something people would fucking understand.  They would have had more backlash by people who didn't read the comic book about how ridiculous the whole squid thing was.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

IT was not him chickening out at the end, as much as making something people would fucking understand.  They would have had more backlash by people who didn't read the comic book about how ridiculous the whole squid thing was.

Yeah I don't get how the movie ending is "chickening out."  It's the same concept as what was in the graphic novel, just different execution.

And yeah - the nuclear blast or whatever he concocted would make MUCH more sense to an audience who hadn't read the novel vs. the giant squid thing.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah in the movie he engineered some kind of nuclear-type blast that mimicked Dr. Manhattan's powers, so everyone blamed him. 

That's right. He framed Dr. Manhattan, not aliens like in the comic.

Edit: As mentioned, honestly, an improvement.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

Know nothing about this franchise.  I did watch some of the movie, wasn't my thing.  I did watch this first episode though and it was enough to keep me interested.  Quite honestly I'm fascinated by the return of Don Johnson.  He's been a few roles lately, mostly bad guys it seems, and he fits that role pretty well.  

I will continue to watch

Does movie Hollywood watch this stuff and say "damn, we suck."?

Rewatched e1 again and still intrigued but confused.  Are Jeremy irons’ servants robots or just very awkward people?  The woman was hand washing Irons like that is normal and the man handed Irons a horseshoe to cut a cake.

it also made little sense that don johnson went out alone when he previously was driving around in 3 car motorcades.  And this was after the violence was escalated. 

I think the reason to show the Tulsa massacre was to show that the area has always been home to radical, racist elements. The Klan is now traded out for the Seventh Cavalry. Most of the cops appear to be black. Blacks seem to live in the nicer neighborhoods where the poor white trash are sequestered in Nixonville (a trailer park). What the movie didn't show was how far right (no CR) Rorschach was. The idea being if this follows the graphic novel, the Seventh Cavalry is full of racists who took Rorschach's journal as a manifesto. In the novel, Rorschach drops his journal off in the mail to a right wing conspiracy theory newspaper where he tells of Oz's plans and who murdered the Comedian. 

• Like 1

Good take.  Also the Kavalry is spelled with a K further emphasizing a link to the Klan.

They also reference “Refordations” which according to show interviews is a pejorative name for a permanent tax exempt status for victims and their direct descendants of racial violence. When the suspect is interrogated and he agrees that all American should pay taxes, that is considered an anti-govt or racist statement.

whether people can accept it or not, I think watchmen is going to be a very political story with loose tie-ins to current political issues. I imagine some will turn off the show because they see it as an attack on the Right.

• Like 1