HBO's Watchmen series

mdmost

On 11/5/2019 at 5:45 PM, MillerEP said:

If I recall movie cannon correctly, Viedt used Dr. Manhatten's abilities to nuke new york by spending billions to block his ability to see into the future and tricking him into building a bomb saying it was an energy source, and so the entire world thought Dr Manhatten was responsible, which is why he self exiled to Mars. Nobody would know the truth it was actually Viedt, which might be why the Senator told Agent Blake if he was President he could "pardon" anybody.

In movie canon, Rorshach mailed his journal to the press. The world knows that Veidt orchestrated the explosions.  

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

True or false:  Jeremy irons sounds like Christopher Lloyd in this. 

Ozymadias:  Tell me, boy.  Who's President of the United States in 2019?  

Mr. Phillips: Robert Redford.

Ozymandias: Ha!  The actor?!?   I mean, after 30 years he's still there?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

was there a lot of whisper talking last night or was that just me? 

I have a hard time hearing HBO shows for some reason.  I watched Catherine the Great, Watchmen and Mrs. Fletcher yesterday and either had to turn the volume up to something my 93 year old grandma would find acceptable or turn on CC. 

Ozy isn't building catapults or space suits in one day, so I don't think it's a Groundhog Day situation. I think he's been there 4 years now, as the candles keep increasing in the cake. He's getting frustrated that he can't find a method to escape. Hence why he killed everyone in frustration or anger.

I bet that the thing that crashed into the Clark farm, now owned by Lady Trieu, will end up be Ozy or something related to him. It seems apparent that he's going to catapult himself into the sky, so where does he come down? I guess that the sky is the bridge between different dimensions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ozy isn't building catapults or space suits in one day, so I don't think it's a Groundhog Day situation. I think he's been there 4 years now, as the candles keep increasing in the cake. He's getting frustrated that he can't find a method to escape. Hence why he killed everyone in frustration or anger.

I bet that the thing that crashed into the Clark farm, now owned by Lady Trieu, will end up be Ozy or something related to him. It seems apparent that he's going to catapult himself into the sky, so where does he come down? I guess that the sky is the bridge between different dimensions.

So all the scenes with him are effectively flashbacks?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm buying your theory - noticed last night on reviewing previous episodes the number of candles increasing on each rendition of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

Also, spacesuit + catapult = eventual escape.

I think he's been there 4 years now, as the candles keep increasing in the cake.

Safe bet, given that he plainly said he'd been there "4 years" during the catapult scene.

Edit:  Or Trebuchet scene, I don't know the differencw

Edited by Augustus

42 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm buying your theory - noticed last night on reviewing previous episodes the number of candles increasing on each rendition of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

Also, spacesuit + catapult = eventual escape.

The previous Mr. Phillips that came back frozen had a rope tied around him. The bodies launched last night did not. Not sure why he's launching them other than to figure out the proper launch angle and force needed.  

The Peteypedia is really interesting because it gives a lot of the backstory on Laurie, Nite Owl, that Veidt "disappeared" and got back most of his fortune through selling cloning technology. A supposed graphic novel callback was the stuffed animal that Angela's kid had which was Bubastis, Veidt genetically engineered cat. He cloned Bubastis after the events of the graphic novel and sold the technology to gain his fortune back.

watchmen10.jpg

And interesting spoiler because it might be brought up later 

In the Laurie file on Peteypedia, it's revealed that she was captured in 1995 with Nite Owl after they thwarted Timothy McVeigh from blowing up the federal building in Oklahoma City. They killed McVeigh in the process. The backstory written on this series is pretty great. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I saw that farm scene from the beginning as having been in the past.  They said she was "building" the tower, but now the tower seems already built.  

Catching up on thread -- yeah, they are playing with timelines a bit.  As long as it doesn't pull any cheap Westworld tricks, I'll allow it.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Not sure the farm scene was much in the past since the daughter seemed about the same age. Or did I get that wrong. But who knows, maybe the daughter is one of those Ozy clone creatures too.

of course lady trieu knew that object was crashing in 3 minutes hence the deadline. She must have some time travel or advance knowledge of the future.  Which also comes in handy when earning your trillions.  See Biff in back to the future.

Not sure the farm scene was much in the past since the daughter seemed about the same age. Or did I get that wrong. But who knows, maybe the daughter is one of those Ozy clone creatures too.

of course lady trieu knew that object was crashing in 3 minutes hence the deadline. She must have some time travel or advance knowledge of the future.  Which also comes in handy when earning your trillions.  See Biff in back to the future.

I thought it was obvious Trieu’s daughter is a clone of her. She had her mom’s memories of the Vietnam death marches 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This show is fucking weird. And I really like the movie and the book.

It’s a little odd that they cast Regina King and YAM as a couple since she’s fifteen years older than he is. But I’m only on ep 3, maybe they address it.

There are few hints the husband is someone else.

Petey is the character I need on shows to give me the background info I am missing or missed. 

The HBO website has a section called “PeteyPedia” - it’s a compilation of his notes and research and journals. It’s not necessary to read them to watch the show but they are awesome to give some stuff context and background.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia