HBO's Watchmen series

mdmost

Damn man. What a good Episode of TV. This show is bringing it. 

So Veidt is on Europa? I assume Dr Manhattan put him there, but the answer to the why is intriguing (more than the how - he’s Dr Manhattan, basically a God, so no matter what the how is unimportant). Although I do wonder how he (Veidt) new a probe would be visiting Europa right then. I guess the flight time is measured in years, so if he knew where he was and he knew how long he was there he could have known it was going to be there then. 

Too bad Mirror Guy is going to get it. He was a great character. Loved the way they filled in newbs to the squid story this episode through his backstory (also liked the way Speildberg used the same trope from Schindler’s List in this universe’s Pale Horse movie). A little disappointed that the nudity warning was for young Wade though. 

Next week’s episode looks great from the previews. The whole concept of this series has been amazingly well executed so far. Hope they can keep it up.  

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

That opening sequence was incredible. Not sure why the movie couldn't have done that. Put me down for Looking Glass not being dead. He had to know Keene wasn't going to let him live. He had to have read he was lying about not killing him. 

Something like that is easier to pull off in a TV series.  When this happened in the TV show, we are 4 hours deep in "world building" to where something like that can "make sense" especially when they aren't really concerned about something "making sense" to a general "movie audience."

In a movie, if something like that is happening at the 2-hour mark when there is tons of heavy lifting with the plot, it's tougher to pull off.  I get why they did the "nuclear blast" instead... it's much easier to explain/make sense of for a general audience in a movie setting.

And yeah - last night's episode was great.  REALLY hoping you're right about Looking Glass. He's a great character and hope we haven't seen the last of him.

P.S. Interesting that music played such a central role in this episode, as opposed to Trent Reznor's score... great use of "Careless Whisper", "Things Can Only Get Better" and Sturgill Simpson's "Turtles All the Way Down."

Edited by oSuJeff97
moar shit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hornian said:

Damn man. What a good Episode of TV. This show is bringing it. 

So Veidt is on Europa? I assume Dr Manhattan put him there, but the answer to the why is intriguing (more than the how - he’s Dr Manhattan, basically a God, so no matter what the how is unimportant). Although I do wonder how he (Veidt) new a probe would be visiting Europa right then.

According to Wiki yes it was Europa and the probe was Juno, which orbits Jupiter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mdmost said:

That opening sequence was incredible. Not sure why the movie couldn't have done that. Put me down for Looking Glass not being dead. He had to know Keene wasn't going to let him live. He had to have read he was lying about not killing him. 

I struggled to understand his gulliablity not figuring out the mystery women when he has demonstrated a number of times that simply looking at ones eyes tells him if a person is straight up or not? If he can tell whether a focus group likes something or not, the chick should have been easy to spot hiding such a secret as the 7th Kalvory. That is disappointing if he could be had so easily.

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I struggled to understand his gulliablity not figuring out the mystery women when he has demonstrated a number of times that simply looking at ones eyes tells him if a person is straight up or not? If he can tell whether a focus group likes something or not, the chick should have been easy to spot hiding such a secret as the 7th Kalvory. That is disappointing if he could be had so easily.

I'm spitballing here, because nothing has explicitly stated this - but I think the psychic shock from the squid may have cause this ability to tell if someone is lying. The comic is more explicit about this - the squid was engineered to contain a powerful psychic's brain, and when it teleported into NYC and exploded, in addition to the physical damage, there was also a psychic blast that caused most of the 4 million deaths. He wasn't killed, but he was obviously affected. The psychic blast could have made him more able to tell when someone is lying - but only after the squid attack, not before. 

EDIT - I though you were talking about the chick in 1985 who stole his clothes. To respond to your point - I think he only can tell if someone is lying to direct questions, like in a focus group, in the pod, or when she was lying about what she did. If he would have asked her straight up "are in involved in 7th Kalvary," he probably would have known if she was lying. 

I also think LG let his guard down with the 7K woman because he met her as a fellow damaged person.

He obviously hides his fear about the squid thing - or something like it - happening again from everyone in his real life. So when he met her and thought she was the same, he let his guard down.

Also, he mentioned to his ex-wife that he always picks women that end up fucking him over or “kicking him in the balls” (or however he put it), so there’s that too.

He has a blind spot with women and for people he thinks share his worldview. His ability to detect deception isn’t a superpower and he could tell she was lying about her job when he was focused and intentional about it.

Sister Night has been lying to him about the Chief’s murder and the Chief was living a lie and he didn’t pick up on that because he trusted them and had no reason to focus in on them.

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I also think LG let his guard down with the 7K woman because he met her as a fellow damaged person.

He obviously hides his fear about the squid thing - or something like it - happening again from everyone in his real life. So when he met her and thought she was the same, he let his guard down.

Also, he mentioned to his ex-wife that he always picks women that end up fucking him over or “kicking him in the balls” (or however he put it), so there’s that too.

He has a blind spot with women and for people he thinks share his worldview. His ability to detect deception isn’t a superpower and he could tell she was lying about her job when he was focused and intentional about it.

Sister Night has been lying to him about the Chief’s murder and the Chief was living a lie and he didn’t pick up on that because he trusted them and had no reason to focus in on them.

Sorry I should’ve been more specific about which women. But I  have only seen the movie, and know very little about the graphic novel. 

Good point about not being able to pick up Judd’s or Sister Nights secret. In retrospect and to your point it is hard to believe neither Judd or Sister Night never gave themselves away. That is a hell of a secret to keep hidden away. Though your explanation of a blind spot for women and like minded individuals sure does fit.

But I did think about whether or not it had to be a direct question. And I looked at the multiple scenes about the focus group where he was not directly part of the group, only an observer. And yet he still could determine that they were not being truthful. Maybe that was just a red herring, but it explains an otherwise meaningless scene.

4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Sorry I should’ve been more specific about which women. But I  have only seen the movie, and know very little about the graphic novel. 

Good point about not being able to pick up Judd’s or Sister Nights secret. In retrospect and to your point it is hard to believe neither Judd or Sister Night never gave themselves away. That is a hell of a secret to keep hidden away. Though your explanation of a blind spot for women and like minded individuals sure does fit.

But I did think about whether or not it had to be a direct question. And I looked at the multiple scenes about the focus group where he was not directly part of the group, only an observer. And yet he still could determine that they were not being truthful. Maybe that was just a red herring, but it explains an otherwise meaningless scene.

Yeah it seems that his ability to "detect truth" is mostly about whether or not someone directly says something that isn't true... not just being deceptive or holding back information.

But there's also this - do we know that LG was actually correct about the focus group?  HE was saying that they didn't like the ad because they are still scared to go to NY because of the squid attack - but HE is the one who is still scared.  Was he just projecting his fears on to them?

Also - re: the woman - did she tell him anything that was a flat lie?  He figured out she was lying about her profession - and she later told him, "I really am a radiologist."  But I don't recall the whole conversation and I'm thinking she likely laced the whole conversation with actual truth as to not be too deceptive around him. 

Also remember what Costanza said - "It's not a lie if you believe it..."  :)

I don’t know if it’s LG asking direct questions himself so much as he has to be actively tuned into a person and scanning for deception. And being a little drunk probably didn’t help.

He wasn’t doing that with the 7K lady except when he asked about her profession.

Even the most talented and skilled athlete can fuck up if they aren’t focused and dialed in mentally. LG’s ability to detect deception is a skill that has to be actively applied, it’s not a superpower or automatic screening tool that works without his participation.

• Like 1

What is the 7K looking to do with the teleportation device? Seems like they were trying to calibrate it with the basketballs. Are they going to repeat Ozy’s hoax about teleporting some creature into the world from another dimension?

If you pull off some stunt like that, it isn’t easy for the govt to out you as perpetrating a hoax when they hid the previous one.

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m out. This show came along when I have a lot more interesting stuff to watch and not a lot of spare time. I hope it makes sense and gets good at some point so I can come back to it.

I had the reverse reaction. I was getting less excited by the week, but this episode sucked me in.

Really good one but holy shit those fight scenes were brutal.

I'm guessing that Grandpa Will and Angela are descendants of Bass Reeves from that old silent movie - kind of obvious with he and Will Reeves sharing the same family name and with all of them being crime fighters. I wonder if they'll explicitly present that information at some point rather leaving it implied.

Also, apparently, Bass Reeves was real Marshall back in the day. There's an interesting Wikipedia entry on him.