Humbly requesting your LA expertise

threesheets

2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

We take all visitors here, never fails

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/

* fat guy in the lounge chair best bit of advertising I've seen in awhile

At breakfast there the morning after we lost to Alabama before wife and I headed up to Santa Ynez wine country.  Very pretty view.  Food was good.  Was told it is the only restaurant in Malibu where you can get a table in the sand.

Lots of good recommendations already, including sage advice on beaches and beach towns. Traffic and parking are horrific, and so you really need to scale down your days - don't think you'll start for a walk on the beach in Venice, and then have an afternoon in Pasadena. Pick an area of town for the day to soak in and explore. You'll loose more time than you can imagine in transit. 

Also agree on the Getty - the museum is free, and even if you just pop in for the impressionist section, walk through the pretty spectacular gardens, check out the view and have lunch, it's time well spent. On a weekend, the line to get in and park there is epic. Start early, plan ahead. 

Personally, I like the Santa Monica pier at night. First, it's lit up really nice. Second, with the ages of your kids, you're probably not going to make a day of it there as the rides are for the most part a bit dinky. Have dinner in the area, and enjoy after. 

And remember that even in summer, the evenings can be brisk by the water. 

It's a bit south but if you find yourself in Orange county my kids loved crystal cove state park at that age. Tide pools are awesome. Then you are right there by Newport for lunch, dinner, whatever. 

19 minutes ago, wood said:

Where do the best whale watching tours leave from? Also, is there much to do on Catalina? Wife (no pics) wants to go out there, but it just looks a little boring to me...

Just the fucking wine mixer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Where do the best whale watching tours leave from? Also, is there much to do on Catalina? Wife (no pics) wants to go out there, but it just looks a little boring to me...

The whales migrate along the entire coast, so just find a boat convenient to you.  I'm guessing Marina Del Rey or King Harbor would be best. 

• Like 1

I think you are really missing out if you don't do the bike ride from Venice to the Santa Monica pier.  I don't really get the Venice hate at all.  Yes, there are freaks but there are also fun performers and boardwalk vendors and shops.  I think that one stretch of the boardwalk right there by and around WIndward Avenue, the skate park and Muscle Beach is, to me, a quintessential California spot (and one of my absolute faves).  Was just in the area in January celebrating our anniversary at a beach house in Malibu and we liked the Venice boardwalk part so much we actually went back the last day of our trip to have lunch there (at Larry's) and soak it up again before we flew out of LAX later that afternoon.

c3abce635f0ddeabd4c42c400873b6f1.jpg

f2913311c67e0f5c7c52d8558600b8de.jpg

ccdc5cf82feb8269d2290f8c3431478d.jpg

We also hit up Father's Office for the burger and Pliny, which was great as advertised.

I will also say that taking a trip down south of the area is great too and easily done in a date.  Part of the joy of any coastal California trip for me is driving that coast. Huntington and Newport Beach are not that far away and we enjoyed the drive around Rancho Palos Verdes on our way there.  One day of our January trip we actually made our way all the way down to Laguna Beach (Heisler Park is another favorite spot for me)

86f98763cc4fb1917238d628f27298a9.jpg

and then down to San Clemente (the pier there being another fave)

35a765cca54552398c2077ec4061c3ca.jpg

before having lunch at Pizza Port (which is the northernmost Pizza Port and has tasty beer for you and pizza/games for the kids) before driving back up to Malibu for the evening.

Also, food-wise, I always try to get some Rosco's Chicken n Waffles when there.

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

I think you are really missing out if you don't do the bike ride from Venice to the Santa Monica pier.  I don't really get the Venice hate at all.  Yes, there are freaks but there are also fun performers and boardwalk vendors and shops.  I think that one stretch of the boardwalk right there by and around WIndward Avenue, the skate park and Muscle Beach is, to me, a quintessential California spot (and one of my absolute faves).  Was just in the area in January celebrating our anniversary at a beach house in Malibu and we liked the Venice boardwalk part so much we actually went back the last day of our trip to have lunch there (at Larry's) and soak it up again before we flew out of LAX later that afternoon.

c3abce635f0ddeabd4c42c400873b6f1.jpg

f2913311c67e0f5c7c52d8558600b8de.jpg

ccdc5cf82feb8269d2290f8c3431478d.jpg

We also hit up Father's Office for the burger and Pliny, which was great as advertised.

I will also say that taking a trip down south of the area is great too and easily done in a date.  Part of the joy of any coastal California trip for me is driving that coast. Huntington and Newport Beach are not that far away and we enjoyed the drive around Rancho Palos Verdes on our way there.  One day of our January trip we actually made our way all the way down to Laguna Beach (Heisler Park is another favorite spot for me)

86f98763cc4fb1917238d628f27298a9.jpg

and then down to San Clemente (the pier there being another fave)

35a765cca54552398c2077ec4061c3ca.jpg

before having lunch at Pizza Port (which is the northernmost Pizza Port and has tasty beer for you and pizza/games for the kids) before driving back up to Malibu for the evening.

Also, food-wise, I always try to get some Rosco's Chicken n Waffles when there.

Venice as a biking destination on the strand for part of a day is fine.  Using it as a base of ops or wanting to spend more time there than part of a day wouldn't be my recommendation.    

Yes, the Father's Office in SM is the original.  It's definitely worth a stop if you are a beer aficionado.  Bear in mind that they don't do substitutions or additions on the burger -- you get it the way they make it.  And if you ask for ketchup, they may kick your ass out.  It's very Soup Nazi-ish.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...