It: Chapter 2

mdmost

As a full supporter of the "this book never will be made into a feature length movie, but would be better as a 10 part series, I have to say that that is one of my favorite "adult" scenes in the book.  And while the creepy Hansel and Gretle vibe is lost, much like Chapter 1, I think this will kill . . . kill, kill.

Despite my overall opinion of impossibility of scope, I liked Chapter 1 a lot.

My 8 year old's Halloween costume that year.

A8x4-KIZPHck-Ym-Ca053zu-Unb-Qf-Vo-YWp-Ij

J5-Fobz-LL2j-ZZLPs-VNdb3-IMRm-S489uwx-ET

f-DT-7-U3-X-lt-B-U0v3-AQDh-XQ5-B5-Ow-R4q

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobody in my group liked the movie overall. There's some decent parts when each character has their own encounter with It but even that got old and tired. Way too long, should have been 45 minutes shorter, at least.

The ending is fucking dumb on top of that

I suggest waiting for Redbox or digital

On 9/6/2019 at 7:17 AM, Saint Tacky said:

Is it kid friendly? 

Some good life lessons for kids, like women are nuts and not to be trusted.

Beverly sleeps with Bill, despite both of them being married, then *realizes* that it was Ben who wrote her the love letter instead and that she wants to be with him, after he got into shape and had a bunch of money.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 4

Bummer of an evening with the game. I saw IT 2 this morning. I regret not watching the first one last week. I highly recommend you rewatch (or watch) the first movie before seeing.

If you know the first film well, dive in.  The hidden content has spoilers. See the movie first. The hidden content is boring,  . . . seriously boring and droll. 

Spoiler

The second film in the IT franchise explored how the kids' trauma morphed over time as they ran away from their fears. The story arcs . . . are put together as part of the Director's "great ending." 

To be a successful "great ending/late reveal movie, the audience must be invested in the kids' struggles. I think watching the first movie again before seeing Chapter 2 solves that little problem. What I took away from the first IT film was frankly the image of Pennywise. The kids were important, but I just wanted them to survive. IT Second Chapter explored how their childhood anxieties manifested and festered when buried. This is psychological drama + horror, where the first film was horror and a little drama. There is a distinct change in tone with the older versions of the characters. And . . . with that . . . the number of characters doubles in the second film. The time shifts compound the problem. 

I like James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain - they are solid actors. The younger Bev reminded me of Kirsten Dunst, and I wonder if she was asked to take the role. Jessica Chastain played the role with sincerity and skill - that is not an easy role to pull off. 

Bill Haider came off as a little too much like Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day; I am not sure that was a good fit for the character. The angry clown comic act from Haider was a reach - well intentioned I assume, but a little too much. The filmed ran a little long and could have been streamlined with less of his character. I think it would have worked with a smaller presence, since his character overwhelmed scenes. The supporting cast is excellent. Great production and craft.  

Steven King does not need to be in the films of the Universe that bears his name. It breaks the tempo.

IT is worth a watch for anyone who likes films. IT is part of the Steven King Cenimatic Universe . . . because apparently every movie has to be part of a . . . Universe.  But that is another issue altogether and the "SKCU" (All Rights Reserved)  is a minor player in the . . . Movie Universe. The gaps are annoying . . . by design. It is okay to have a stand alone film. IT part chapter 2 II ii two requires a good understanding of the characters in the original movie to enjoy the plot. The visual element of the clown in the film is tired, but the characters are fresh.

The ability to view both movies back-to-back at a theater (in a recliner with some popcorn) would give the film(s) more credibility, if that was the goal of the Director, and the Cast and the Crew. IF the goal was to simply make money, IT works. 

The film's ending was satisfying and the arcs are complete. Please no . . . Chapter 3 . . .. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Bummer of an evening with the game. I saw IT 2 this morning. I regret not watching the first one last week. I highly recommend you rewatch (or watch) the first movie before seeing.

If you know the first film well, dive in.  The hidden content has spoilers. See the movie first. The hidden content is boring,  . . . seriously boring and droll. 

Hide contents

The second film in the IT franchise explored how the kids' trauma morphed over time as they ran away from their fears. The story arcs . . . are put together as part of the Director's "great ending." 

To be a successful "great ending/late reveal movie, the audience must be invested in the kids' struggles. I think watching the first movie again before seeing Chapter 2 solves that little problem. What I took away from the first IT film was frankly the image of Pennywise. The kids were important, but I just wanted them to survive. IT Second Chapter explored how their childhood anxieties manifested and festered when buried. This is psychological drama + horror, where the first film was horror and a little drama. There is a distinct change in tone with the older versions of the characters. And . . . with that . . . the number of characters doubles in the second film. The time shifts compound the problem. 

I like James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain - they are solid actors. The younger Bev reminded me of Kirsten Dunst, and I wonder if she was asked to take the role. Jessica Chastain played the role with sincerity and skill - that is not an easy role to pull off. 

Bill Haider came off as a little too much like Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day; I am not sure that was a good fit for the character. The angry clown comic act from Haider was a reach - well intentioned I assume, but a little too much. The filmed ran a little long and could have been streamlined with less of his character. I think it would have worked with a smaller presence, since his character overwhelmed scenes. The supporting cast is excellent. Great production and craft.  

Steven King does not need to be in the films of the Universe that bears his name. It breaks the tempo.

IT is worth a watch for anyone who likes films. IT is part of the Steven King Cenimatic Universe . . . because apparently every movie has to be part of a . . . Universe.  But that is another issue altogether and the "SKCU" (All Rights Reserved)  is a minor player in the . . . Movie Universe. The gaps are annoying . . . by design. It is okay to have a stand alone film. IT part chapter 2 II ii two requires a good understanding of the characters in the original movie to enjoy the plot. The visual element of the clown in the film is tired, but the characters are fresh.

The ability to view both movies back-to-back at a theater (in a recliner with some popcorn) would give the film(s) more credibility, if that was the goal of the Director, and the Cast and the Crew. IF the goal was to simply make money, IT works. 

The film's ending was satisfying and the arcs are complete. Please no . . . Chapter 3 . . .. 

Hide contents

Stephen King was in the movie for about 50 seconds.  I didn't find it distracting since it wasn't really a scene that mattered.  

My biggest complaint was that the CGI seemed like a huge downgrade from the first movie. 

Spoiler

When "It" ate the gay guy in the river at the beginning and the little girl under the bleachers, it looked fake and cartoonish.

Edited by Tom

Took my mom to see it on Thursday night while she was visiting for her 70th birthday. We watched Part 1 a week before with my girlfriend. I had seen it with friends opening night two years ago, but they had not. She loved it and my girlfriend did as well. We saw it over at the Lincoln Square AMC in the IMAX theatre and it was fun. Enjoyed the Stephen King cameo. Everyone clapped for him.

Loved both parts of the movie, but was more terrified as a kid watching Tim Curry. I will go watch this again. Bill Hader played his role perfectly. He and Finn Wolfhard were interchangeable in their roles as kid and adult. Jessica Chastain did a great job as well. 

Edited by UpperWestside

On 9/9/2019 at 8:10 PM, UpperWestside said:

Took my mom to see it on Thursday night while she was visiting for her 70th birthday. We watched Part 1 a week before with my girlfriend. I had seen it with friends opening night two years ago, but they had not. She loved it and my girlfriend did as well. We saw it over at the Lincoln Square AMC in the IMAX theatre and it was fun. Enjoyed the Stephen King cameo. Everyone clapped for him.

Loved both parts of the movie, but was more terrified as a kid watching Tim Curry. I will go watch this again. Bill Hader played his role perfectly. He and Finn Wolfhard were interchangeable in their roles as kid and adult. Jessica Chastain did a great job as well. 

I mean, me too, but that was in large part due to being a kid.  Rewatch the original mini-series as an adult and there's no comparison.  The 90's version is cheesy and corny compared to this remake.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, 4th&Five said:

The adult parts of the book were scarier to me. This’ll be better than part 1. 

That scene with the bird at the abandoned mill (or whatever it was, Mike was a kid), threw me for an insane loop the first time I read it...hair standing up on my neck, shivers, the works.  It was so unexpected...my imagination ran wild at the thought of being on the receiving end of that unique inquisitive mindlessness most birds seem to have...it was the perfect smack in the face on just how evil It is.  

Edited by Homercles

Saw it today, pretty good IMO.  

I really liked when they all went their separate ways and had their own crazy experiences with Pennywise.  Also weren't afraid to knock off a couple of kids in some brutal ways.  Hader and the dude who played Eddie were awesome.  The time jumps back and forth were done very well.

Knocks - too long, could have shaved 20-30 minutes easy.  The whole alien/Indian ritual thing took a little away from the batshit creepy clown killing kids part of the first movie. Understand that was part of the book, but I didn't read it, so as a movie goer it kicked it down a notch from the first.

Daughter said the kids were CGI'd since they've hit puberty and changed a lot since the first movie.  You could tell here and there, but they did a pretty good job of keeping them looking the same age.