Europe: off-the beaten-path with kids

Your Mom

Awesome thread.

I have a chunk of about 3 weeks off next July, and I'm trying to get started on planning a family trip with our boys (will be 15 and 12).  I'm really tempted by the Germany/Alps stuff above (been there and loved it), but I think I'm going to save that for when they're a little older and can appreciate the finer points of Bavarian/Czech brewing.  The other idea I'm throwing around is the British Isles.  This would be our first overseas trip as a family, and neither my wife nor I have been there.

I'm sure I'll pester the board in detail when I get to serious planning, but at this point I'm just trying to get a general framework.  I have a Griswoldian tendency to overdo/overplan, but at the same time, I'd like to get the most out of the trip since it's an investment getting over there, and we don't have a lot of summers left with them under our roof.

Here are the nebulous ideas I have floating around in my head, without a lot of specific research (beyond what I've read on Shaggy/Surly) yet:

Ireland:
-- Probably fly into Dublin and spend a couple days to adjust, but planning to spend more time out of the city.
-- A few days in Galway (sounds like our speed)
-- Doolin/Cliffs of Insanity Moher
-- Ring of Kerry/Gap of Dunloe area

Scotland:
--Edinburgh
-- Glasgow
-- Isle of Skye (hiking and Talisker)
-- Islay vs. Inverness/Highlands/Spey?

London:
-- 3 or so days to hit some high points, eat good food, let my wife see royal shit, fly back

Is this too ambitious to try to cover in one trip?  
I would say thats doable if your using the most of your 3 weeks off...lets say 19 days total with day 20/21 as rest days when you return....that leaves you with 2 full weeks for ireland/scotland with you only doing 3 days in london. Which leaves you with 2 "travel days" as wiggle room. If you fly in between then you could possibly squeeze in another location or rent car and ferry across for slower/more scenery trip

On 7/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Bone3421 said:

Interlaken is an amazing place... Glad ya'll enjoyed it

I would assume you took the funicular up to the restaurant once for a meal

If not i dont know why i didnt mention it sooner lol...just popped in my head

Interlaken was included in my very first self-planned trip using a Rick Steves guide and a book with train times. Need to go back there some day.

Your Mom has great pics.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:47 PM, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Hallstatt is incredible. Get there around 7:30 for 90 minutes of peace and quiet before the Chinese tourists arrive by the busload.

I enjoyed renting a boat and getting out on the lake. Worth the $25 or whatever for an hour. 

incredible.  looks like a real life cuckoo clock.

Interlaken was included in my very first self-planned trip using a Rick Steves guide and a book with train times. Need to go back there some day.
Your Mom has great pics.
Should of known with a name like spankytoes you would enjoy going through the backdoor...

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:
Your Mom has great pics.

Should of known with a name like spankytoes you would enjoy going through the backdoor...

Your mom has some kinks. The dude abides.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
On 8/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, Damor said:
Awesome thread.

I have a chunk of about 3 weeks off next July, and I'm trying to get started on planning a family trip with our boys (will be 15 and 12).  I'm really tempted by the Germany/Alps stuff above (been there and loved it), but I think I'm going to save that for when they're a little older and can appreciate the finer points of Bavarian/Czech brewing.  The other idea I'm throwing around is the British Isles.  This would be our first overseas trip as a family, and neither my wife nor I have been there.

I'm sure I'll pester the board in detail when I get to serious planning, but at this point I'm just trying to get a general framework.  I have a Griswoldian tendency to overdo/overplan, but at the same time, I'd like to get the most out of the trip since it's an investment getting over there, and we don't have a lot of summers left with them under our roof.

Here are the nebulous ideas I have floating around in my head, without a lot of specific research (beyond what I've read on Shaggy/Surly) yet:

Ireland:
-- Probably fly into Dublin and spend a couple days to adjust, but planning to spend more time out of the city.
-- A few days in Galway (sounds like our speed)
-- Doolin/Cliffs of Insanity Moher
-- Ring of Kerry/Gap of Dunloe area

Scotland:
--Edinburgh
-- Glasgow
-- Isle of Skye (hiking and Talisker)
-- Islay vs. Inverness/Highlands/Spey?

London:
-- 3 or so days to hit some high points, eat good food, let my wife see royal shit, fly back

Is this too ambitious to try to cover in one trip?  

Read more  

I would say thats doable if your using the most of your 3 weeks off...lets say 19 days total with day 20/21 as rest days when you return....that leaves you with 2 full weeks for ireland/scotland with you only doing 3 days in london. Which leaves you with 2 "travel days" as wiggle room. If you fly in between then you could possibly squeeze in another location or rent car and ferry across for slower/more scenery trip

Thanks.  As far as getting from Ireland to Scotland, I'm guessing flying is the better bet rather than going out of the way to do a train to Belfast, then the ferry?

I've always heard the nightmare stories about Ryanair, is it really that awful?  On the one hand, it's only an hour flight, but on the other hand, it sounds like the flight is the least painful part of the process.  But for 1/3 the cost...

Thanks.  As far as getting from Ireland to Scotland, I'm guessing flying is the better bet rather than going out of the way to do a train to Belfast, then the ferry?

I've always heard the nightmare stories about Ryanair, is it really that awful?  On the one hand, it's only an hour flight, but on the other hand, it sounds like the flight is the least painful part of the process.  But for 1/3 the cost...
Yes flying is quickest and easier...i would agree with getting cheapest flight you can,like you said its about an hour flight

The train/car/ferry just lets you see more scenery. Depends on your pace/travel style.
Dublin to Glasgow is 6.5 hours by car on google....

• 1 year later...