RIP Lew Holder (1923-2018)

hpslugga

In the boxing photo he looks like he wants to punch the guy he is shaking hands with. Also the photo with Tom Landry is really cool. Thanks for sharing, he sounds like he was an incredible person. Sorry for you and your family's loss.

That’s as fine a tribute as I’ve seen on any message board.

It’s all great stuff, but when you got to the part about how he married your grandmother with three kids in the mix, well, it takes a very special man.

Blessings to you and yours.

Your Grandfather was blessed to compete in athletics at the premier University of Texas, he has accomplished more in life than many who root from afar...

May God bless you & your family in this time of mourning, as it's obvious he was more than a Longhorn Legend, but also an honorable man of great moral compass...

Those guys back then were pretty much tough as nails.  Raised during the Depression.  Played football both ways with minimal pads and no facemasks.

I assume that he served in WWII before commencing his college career.  Most from the classes in the late forties would have been class of 44 or 45.

My Dad played his high school ball against Clyde Smackover Scott.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those guys back then were pretty much tough as nails.  Raised during the Depression.  Played football both ways with minimal pads and no facemasks.

I assume that he served in WWII before commencing his college career.  Most from the classes in the late forties would have been class of 44 or 45.

My Dad played his high school ball against Clyde Smackover Scott.

He did serve in the Pacific theater for the Army Air Corps, yes.