For all the young'ns here who didn't get to see Roy during his time at Texas

Goo Punch

I remember getting in a argument with this loudmouth Pitt fan chick in a Houston bar not long before the draft about who was gonna have a better NFL career, Roy, or some scrub they had named Fitzpatrick...Fitzwilliam...maybe Fitzgerald. Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald, I think it was. I wonder what ever happened to that chump. (To this day, I insist that Roy could have been better if he'd wanted to.)

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

To this day, I insist that Roy could have been better if he'd wanted to.

Absolutely.  I'm not sure he took conditioning or the craft of route running as seriously as he could have, instead relying on his size and freakish athletic ability.  Really thought he might turn in on in the pros, and while he didn't suck, I think he could have done much better.

I was lucky to see almost every game of Roy's career at DKR.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

(To this day, I insist that Roy could have been better if he'd wanted to.)

Sure. He was notoriously lazy here, and was not known as a team player. He had all the tools and could have been much better as a player and teammate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Last I heard, he went home to Odessa and started an oil filed trucking company.   Dude was a beast.  True Longhorn legend.  Hoping Collin Johnson will be that guy this season. 

The problem there is that RW's speed was next level compared to CJ. 

Roy Williams is the single greatest WR I've seen at Texas, and that's taking nothing away from any other greats. He was fucking electric and terrified defenses. Saban's LSU beats us in the Cotton Bowl if RW doesn't come totally unhinged in the 2nd half. That's how I remember it, at least.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The problem there is that RW's speed was next level compared to CJ. 

Roy Williams is the single greatest WR I've seen at Texas, and that's taking nothing away from any other greats. He was fucking electric and terrified defenses. Saban's LSU beats us in the Cotton Bowl if RW doesn't come totally unhinged in the 2nd half. That's how I remember it, at least.

It's to bad LHN never replays that damn game. Or the Miss St. Cotton bowl where Ricky had the DB's using ice packs on their necks. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Absolutely.  I'm not sure he took conditioning or the craft of route running as seriously as he could have, instead relying on his size and freakish athletic ability.  Really thought he might turn in on in the pros, and while he didn't suck, I think he could have done much better.

I was lucky to see almost every game of Roy's career at DKR.

I remember all the hammy issues he had toward the end of his career in Austin - and the diagnosis that he start to actually stretch before games.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I remember all the hammy issues he had toward the end of his career in Austin - and the diagnosis that he start to actually stretch before games.  

I recall he pulled up lame with a sore hamstring after an early catch against OU in 2001 or 2002, and never saw the field the rest of the game.  Not sure, though, I was drunk for most of those games.

Roy, BJ, and Sloan is the earliest I can recall. Same era as my favorite DB of DBU Jammer. I  think it's more of the legend (pun intended) growing with time because I swear we haven't had as vicious of a corner since then. Maybe Vaccaro comes close. Maybe. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

I’m still in awe of him dragging the entire Ok State secondary, and I still remember watching that play live on tv as a kid. 4 guys trying to rip the ball out, and none of them could do it. More amazing is that Roy didn’t even have it wrapped up with two arms. 

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Roy, BJ, and Sloan is the earliest I can recall. Same era as my favorite DB of DBU Jammer. I  think it's more of the legend (pun intended) growing with time because I swear we haven't had as vicious of a corner since then. Maybe Vaccaro comes close. Maybe. 

I miss Nathan Vasher

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

He good. He very good. 

Wasn't a head hunter like Jammer tho imo.

Such a big hit that set the tone in the game. Had the glorious experience of seeing in real time from my vantage point in the upper bowl of the end zone right down the sideline. Fuck....hard to believe that was 13+ years ago! 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I miss Nathan Vasher

I can't remember him being a head hunter tho. Just like with Griffin, excellent corner. Even better NFL career. But those guys are more athletic. Maybe an attitude or demeanor on the field thing, I don't know. 

He good. He very good. 

Wasn't a head hunter like Jammer tho imo.

perhaps not as prolific (only so many plays to go around in that 2005 secondary, one of the best secondaries in CFB history), but still, he laid the wood. Having him, A Ross, and Michael Griffin all in one secondary meant pain for opposing pass catchers. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2003 saw 2 of the greatest physical specimens ever to wear UT football gear with Roy's last year VY's first. There was some tension as to who the leader of team was  - but I challenge anyone to name a more athletic QB-WR pairing in college football history. 

20 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Mack had some insane talent that he wasted on those early ‘00’s teams.  Good thing Vince was more of a freak than Roy.

We probably would’ve gotten stomped, but it would’ve been interesting to see what would’ve happened if we beat Colorado in the big 12 championship and go to the national championship against Miami. They were stacked, but Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Benson, Simms/Applewhite, Derrick Johnson, Cory Redding, Rod Babers and Nathan Vasher at corner. We were fucking stacked. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

25 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Neither can Carlos Francis.

I lol'd. Oh Tech... Some good games with them in the early 00's.

Agree on your other point too. That fucking backend was loaded so it was really a kinda pick your poison type of situation. 

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
Ive seen many of our younger posters say things about LJH and his physicality/dominance/greatness at Texas that let's me know that they were unfortunately not born early enough see The Legend during his time at Texas. A lot of people rank Shipley as the greatest/best WR at Texas, and that's fine- but we've never had another Roy Williams, and I doubt we ever will. He was so physically dominant in college I thought he was going to be like an Anquan Bolden with open field moves in the NFL. While it never did materialize for him at that level, man- he was something special in college. 

some more, including him dragging the entire Okie State defense halfway down the field with him:

Legitimately, this was the first game I remember watching as a kid (I don't remember all of the details, but I remember that I watched this game).  My mom's family were all aggy... But I was a Longhorn fan after watching that game and the rest is history

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

No way Texas beats SEC schools. Those LSU boys just didn’t show up.

That was somehow before the SEC was “good.” Wasn’t auburn undefeated the year we played USC? Could you imagine an undefeated SEC champion not making the national championship. Oh the outrage

Roy was the best I've ever seen at Texas.  He also made the most amazing catch I've ever seen but it didn't count because he was out of bounds.  It was against UNC at Chappel Hill and he reached back with both hands and caught it behind his head.

His senior year he also medaled in the long jump, triple jump, and 100m in the 5A state track meet including an all-classes long jump record that stood until broken by some guy named Marquise Goodwin.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Roy long jumped 25 feet, 6 inches to win the gold at the state track meet his senior year at Odessa Permian. At 6’3”, 200 pounds and I’m guessing not a whole lot of training. Freak doesn’t even begin to describe his athletic ability.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That was somehow before the SEC was “good.” Wasn’t auburn undefeated the year we played USC? Could you imagine an undefeated SEC champion not making the national championship. Oh the outrage

Yeah that was before the Saban dynasty which ended up elevating the rest of the conference simply by association. 

43 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I believe that was the 2004 season when OU, USC and Auburn were undefeated.