For all the young'ns here who didn't get to see Roy during his time at Texas

Goo Punch

That was somehow before the SEC was “good.” Wasn’t auburn undefeated the year we played USC? Could you imagine an undefeated SEC champion not making the national championship. Oh the outrage

No. Auburn was u defeated in 2004. We got to beat Michigan that year. Braylon Edwards went off In that game but for VY.

I watched some of the 2002 season & maybe a little bit of the 2001 season, but the 2003 season was my first full season watching UT football & college football in general. VY became the fulltime starting QB over Chance Mock after the RRS game basically because VY was a freak talent UT wanted to take advantage of, NOT because he was a better QB than Chance Mock. VY wasn't a good enough passer back in '03, like Chance Mock was or like VY eventually became in '05, to take advantage of our star WRs. 

So I only remember seeing Roy Williams beasting in that 2003 Cotton Bowl against Nick Saban-coached LSU tigers, the first half of the 2003 season, & the 2003 TTU game at home when Chance Mock came in the game to bail out VY in the 2nd half.

That 2003 UT team is probably Greg Davis' Magnum Opus to show how bad an OC he was, NOT the 2010 team. It makes my blood boil to think about how dominant OU was on offense that year, but UT had more talent than OU did on offense & underachieved.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I watched some of the 2002 season & maybe a little bit of the 2001 season, but the 2003 season was my first full season watching UT football & college football in general. VY became the fulltime starting QB over Chance Mock after the RRS game basically because VY was a freak talent UT wanted to take advantage of, NOT because he was a better QB than Chance Mock. VY wasn't a good enough passer back in '03, like Chance Mock was or like VY eventually became in '05, to take advantage of our star WRs. 

So I only remember seeing Roy Williams beasting in that 2003 Cotton Bowl against Nick Saban-coached LSU tigers, the first half of the 2003 season, & the 2003 TTU game at home when Chance Mock came in the game to bail out VY in the 2nd half.

That 2003 UT team is probably Greg Davis' Magnum Opus to show how bad an OC he was, NOT the 2010 team. It makes my blood boil to think about how dominant OU was on offense that year, but UT had more talent than OU did on offense & underachieved.

Chance Mock put up some numbers against some tomato cans but folded when he had to play decent competition like Arkansas and later Wazzu in the Holiday Bowl. But he did pull out that last drive against Tech ("if you give me a chance, I won't Mock the position") game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Feel bad for the guy - 4 years in a GD offense when we refused to throw deep or use the middle of the field. Instead we had him running 3 yard outs and bubble screens.

Although, he was one of the few that could take quick hitches/bubbles/outs, break a tackle, and house it. It's what made it so easy to call 3 yard outs for him.

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:
7 hours ago, Machinator said:
That 2000 WR haul sets the standard for modern Texas recruiting.

I'm not getting this. Sarcasm? Meter may be broken.

I'm saying the 2000 wide receiver recruiting class was the best in Texas history.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm saying the 2000 wide receiver recruiting class was the best in Texas history.

I honestly don't know how can y'all still say that when the 2000 recruiting class was pre-internet recruiting. The 2002 recruiting class was the 1st recruiting class covered on the net, so as far as back as I'm willing to go.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Video for those who don't remember or like these now outlawed type of hits

I used to show my kids this clip and told them Vasher hit him so hard they switched uniforms. 

And I was never really impressed by Chance Mock. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That was somehow before the SEC was “good.” Wasn’t auburn undefeated the year we played USC? Could you imagine an undefeated SEC champion not making the national championship. Oh the outrage

I still remember that Auburn team getting up on the platform with the College Game day crew after they beat VT in the Sugar Bowl. They were all chanting sec...sec...sec and waving the SEC sign. I felt embarrassed for them.

I went to a HS playoff game during Roy's senior season at Permian. It was a man among boys. He'd just run to the middle of the field and jump higher than everyone else to get the ball and then run away to the endzone. He did that a few times at Texas, too, but could have done it a lot more had he wanted to. 

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Who in the world has said ship is better than Roy? Please point these uninformed dumbasses out!

Obviously Roy is the better physical talent, but Ship is the most complete receiver in UT history. When it comes to coming through in the clutch and producing on the field when his team needs it, Roy doesn't touch Ship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Feel bad for the guy - 4 years in a GD offense when we refused to throw deep or use the middle of the field. Instead we had him running 3 yard outs and bubble screens.

Watching four defensive players bounce off of RW's knees for three-yard-gains 7 times in a single game made me want to punch a donkey anus in Greg Davis' chest.  

Roy was unstoppable when he wanted to be. It's tough to think "what could've been" for a guy who was so dominant, but it was too easy for him most of his career so he never learned to work hard at his craft (and his coaches didn't hold him accountable).

Somewhere in my mind I recall after he housed his first TD as a freshman he ended up in the endzone near Bevo. He said something like he thought for a second about hopping on Bevo's back to celebrate, but he saw how big his horns were & changed his mind. Good decision, RW.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Obviously Roy is the better physical talent, but Ship is the most complete receiver in UT history. When it comes to coming through in the clutch and producing on the field when his team needs it, Roy doesn't touch Ship. 

Shipley had the benefit of playing with one of the greatest passing QBs in college football history.

Simms was above average, but not nearly as accurate as Colt.  I mean not in the same ballpark.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Shipley had the benefit of playing with one of the greatest passing QBs in college football history.

Simms was above average, but not nearly as accurate as Colt.  I mean not in the same ballpark.

Exactly. I kind of agree w/Catdaddy that Shipley was better if we mean more productive, but it's so apples-to-oranges comparing how we used him versus how Roy was used. There is no question Williams was the most talented receiver we've ever had. Some-- maybe all-- of that is just subjective perception. Roy put up huge numbers against A&M, Nebraska, and LSU, but fair to him or not, the fact that he never scored a TD against OU (and thus never played on a team that beat them) was emblematic of this slightly disappointing feel his career had-- like so much of Mack Brown Texas Football!!!! in the early 2000s, it was simultaneously really really good and yet somehow not all there.

Shipley, I felt like we got everything we could from him. Probably because he was on campus for nine years.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

32 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

simms was plenty accurate.  i think he gives colt a run for the money with accuracy.  chris's problem was he always threw the ball at blaster cannon setting and he wasn't the most cerebral quarterback. 

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Disagree.  Go watch the 2008 OU game.  Colt was throwing darts into tight windows.  Simms was quite good, but nowhere near that level of accuracy.

maybe my memory's off, but simms's interceptions weren't off target from his receivers as much he didn't see the defender was in position to make a play on the ball.  i think colt was more accurate, but simms was pretty close to colt in accuracy.  just colt made much better decisions. 

Colt's accuracy inside 20 yards was all-time great.  Simms had a much stronger arm, but he wasn't in Colt's league in terms of accuracy.  That's not a slight against Simms' accuracy.

Edited by kevwun

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

maybe my memory's off, but simms's interceptions weren't off target from his receivers as much he didn't see the defender was in position to make a play on the ball.

that part is true, which is why he threw as many pick-sixes as he did (I believe it was six for his career)

17 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

maybe my memory's off, but simms's interceptions weren't off target from his receivers as much he didn't see the defender was in position to make a play on the ball.  i think colt was more accurate, but simms was pretty close to colt in accuracy.  just colt made much better decisions. 

It's a fair point, but even taking away the interceptions, looks at Simms' career completion percentage (58.7) compared to Colt's (70.3).  Twelve percentage points is not "pretty close."  Not to bash on Simms -- he was good. 

Also, consider Roy's other QB, Major Applewhite.  In 2000, Roy's freshman year, Major's completion percentage was 54.5%.

So to address the original point of this discussion, Shipley played with a significantly more accurate QB than Roy.  I don't know how much of a statistical difference statistically that makes, but I think it's a big factor (in addition to Roy's general level of dedication).

Colt had a better completion percentage, but the offense that year was a lot of short dink and dunk passes because we had no real running game that year (please correct me if I’m wrong, that’s how I remember it). I love Colt, and he was obviously a better college QB than Simms, but i think some of y’all are underestimating Simms accuracy. I thought his accuracy on intermediate and deep throws was as good if not better than Colts. Where Colt was better than Simms by a landslide was improvising, and just all around decision making in general. Completion percentage doesn’t tell the whole story when talking about accuracy (obviously).

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I've got some great old footage of Cedric vs Roy from Lee vs Permian in the late 90s. A couple of the Lee football banquet highlight videos with that game on it. Roy played both ways so there were plenty of Roy/Ced encounters. They are VHS and I always wanted to make a Cedric HS highlight video from those tapes, but never was able to get them converted to digital. It was from the stretch where Ced led us to 3 state titles and a USA Today #1 ranking in 99. Most people don't realize how ridiculous Cedric was in HS. The tapes include playoff games against BJ Johnson at South Grand Prairie, Derrick Johnson at Waco and Houston Street at Westlake. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

#csb

If anyone wants to give it a shot, let me know and I can send you the tapes (If I can find them).

I have Quan over Jordan Shipley. Maybe the stats don't show that but his hands and elusive footwork after the catch were the best I've seen for a Horn WR.  There's a reason Quan was a punt returner for Denver; excellent footwork, very smart baller.  

• Like 1

I've got some great old footage of Cedric vs Roy from Lee vs Permian in the late 90s. A couple of the Lee football banquet highlight videos with that game on it. Roy played both ways so there were plenty of Roy/Ced encounters. They are VHS and I always wanted to make a Cedric HS highlight video from those tapes, but never was able to get them converted to digital. It was from the stretch where Ced led us to 3 state titles and a USA Today #1 ranking in 99. Most people don't realize how ridiculous Cedric was in HS. The tapes include playoff games against BJ Johnson at South Grand Prairie, Derrick Johnson at Waco and Houston Street at Westlake. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

#csb

If anyone wants to give it a shot, let me know and I can send you the tapes (If I can find them).

Take them to a local camera shop. The one near me did some for a fair price, they can even convert older reel to reel video.

Also here: https://legacybox.com/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

Who in the world has said ship is better than Roy? Please point these uninformed dumbasses out!

I've been watching since before Herkie Walls showed up, and as much as I loved me some Roy Williams.........Jordan Shipley was a better receiver, regardless of how you quantify it.

Roy was a lot more athletic and capable of amazing things.  If Texas needed a crucial 3rd down conversion, I'd rather the ball be thrown to Shipley though.  He was consistently a better college receiver.

Edited by kevwun

Since Ship basically only played two full seasons as the #1 target:

Roy (Junior) :  64 rec, 1142 yds, 12 TD

Roy (Senior) :  70 rec, 1079 yds, 9 TD

Ship (Junior) : 89 rec, 1060 yds, 11 TD

Ship (Senior) : 116 rec, 1485 yds, 13 TD

Ship had more catches, more yards, and more receiving touchdowns (plus 4 on PR and KR).

You could argue that Roy lost targets to other receivers while Ship was basically THE guy.  But there's no question that Ship was more productive at Texas across those final two years.

None of this is to knock Roy.  He was a man among boys in college and I loved watching him play.  But Shipley didn't have a lot of Roy's physical gifts and put up bigger numbers because he worked his ass off in spite of a lot of early injuries.  Shipley has some Major to him.  If Ship had Roy's body, he'd he in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Sure. He was notoriously lazy here, and was not known as a team player. He had all the tools and could have been much better as a player and teammate.

We were on campus at the same time. I minored in kinesiology and had a bunch of classes in Bellmont. I would cross paths with Roy going to and from class just about every day. Most of the time he would be talking about the chicks he fucked, the chicks he wanted to fuck, and arguing that he had fucked more white girls than anyone else on the team. I love pussy as much as the next guy, but Roy was dizzy with it.

But he was a beast with a football in his hands. I loved watching him just straight-up punk defenders. We haven't had any other WR come close to his set of skills ever since.

The Cotton Bowl vs LSU was a great display of Roy Williams as a beast, but never forget Nebraska 2002. 13 catches for  161 yds,  2 TDs, and  the longest catch was only  27 yds. After being dumb the 1st 3 series, Greg Davis finally decided  to let Roy beast against the Huskers. Most of his catches were short hitches because they played off the line so far and he broke tackles. (I thought he had 80 catches or so, but looked it up and found it was just 13) Check it out at the 26:13 mark. He could've set an all-time record if that was the goal. Definitely one of the greats in NCAA, possibly the best Longhorn WR.

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Since Ship basically only played two full seasons as the #1 target:

Roy (Junior) :  64 rec, 1142 yds, 12 TD

Roy (Senior) :  70 rec, 1079 yds, 9 TD

Ship (Junior) : 89 rec, 1060 yds, 11 TD

Ship (Senior) : 116 rec, 1485 yds, 13 TD

Ship had more catches, more yards, and more receiving touchdowns (plus 4 on PR and KR).

You could argue that Roy lost targets to other receivers while Ship was basically THE guy.  But there's no question that Ship was more productive at Texas across those final two years.

None of this is to knock Roy.  He was a man among boys in college and I loved watching him play.  But Shipley didn't have a lot of Roy's physical gifts and put up bigger numbers because he worked his ass off in spite of a lot of early injuries.  Shipley has some Major to him.  If Ship had Roy's body, he'd he in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Roy doesn't get any credit for having more career receiving yards and receiving touchdowns? I could argue that Roy was more productive than Shipley across his entire career vs two cherrypicked seasons. 

And don't forget that Roy didn't play in as pass happy of an offense as Shipley did, in addition to losing targets to other great receivers. 

• Like 1

What you want is a guy with the attitude, leadership, and hustle of Ship in Roy's body. 

Roy legitimately could have been one of the greatest WRs in NFL history.  Like Jerry Rice levels of greatness.  He was that naturally gifted.  He just never got the whole humble, work ethic, lead by example part down to go with it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PsychMike said:

The Cotton Bowl vs LSU was a great display of Roy Williams as a beast, but never forget Nebraska 2002. 13 catches for  161 yds,  2 TDs, and  the longest catch was only  27 yds. After being dumb the 1st 3 series, Greg Davis finally decided  to let Roy beast against the Huskers. Most of his catches were short hitches because they played off the line so far and he broke tackles. (I thought he had 80 catches or so, but looked it up and found it was just 13) Check it out at the 26:13 mark. He could've set an all-time record if that was the goal. Definitely one of the greats in NCAA, possibly the best Longhorn WR.

IIRC, that was also the game Ivan Williams punked Nebraska too.

Edited by Fondren & Main

9 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Roy dominated lesser teams and BJ Johnson literally had 1 meaningful touchdown in his career.  Shipley and Quan were better

Yeah, talking about Roy losing targets to other receivers and ignoring Quan’s 92 catches in 2008 - more than Shipley, and almost as many as any 2 combined seasons of Johnson/Thomas - is curious.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Shipley played in big bowls and actually showed up against OU. You're right I'd take Shipley in the clutch over any other WR in school history, Roy wouldn't even make #2 that would fall upon Mr. Quan Cosby.