Comedy

jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw Jay Leno for $1 ~ 1982.  He was clean and hilarious.  The quality of his comedy turned out to be inversely proportional to his net worth, because eventually he was the un-funniest guy on the planet.  OK, maybe the 2nd un-funniest guy on the planet.

Other comics say he was one of the best but I have never in my life seen him be even a little bit amusing.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw Jay Leno for $1 ~ 1982.  He was clean and hilarious.  The quality of his comedy turned out to be inversely proportional to his net worth, because eventually he was the un-funniest guy on the planet.  OK, maybe the 2nd un-funniest guy on the planet.

6 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Other comics say he was one of the best but I have never in my life seen him be even a little bit amusing.

I've heard several say this, and added that they all pretty much hated him as a person, so it must be fairly accurate.  I too, never found him that funny.  Much like a baseball game though, its much better to watch it live in person, than on tv.

http://youtu.be/buH4WenTmUA

I've recently discovered Brad Williams (Sorry/not sorry if video link isn't right) and find him to be quite funny. Dave Chapelle is on a whole another level to me as well.  If you watch interviews with him he is always just off the cuff funny and doesn't insert jokes from his act into interviews like I see other comedians do.  

On a related note, I've been reading "Sick in the Head" by Judd Apatow. It's a collection of interviews that dates back to the mid 80's with comedians he's met and worked with.  He started doing these interviews as a teenager working for his high school radio station. Some of these interviews of note include Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno back when they were first getting to be known.  I found it interesting that Jay Leno has never done an HBO/Comedy Central type "special", and Seinfeld has only done one during his career.  Both said they do that so they don't have to change their act up too much, where as those that doe frequent "specials" have to constantly update their acts so audiences aren't always hearing the same jokes.  

I've personally always loved Eddie Murphy's stand up, and find his stuff re-watchable.  Chris rock mentioned in the book that Eddie hosts fight nights at his house pretty often and you'll see a who's who of comedians there and Eddie is always the funniest guy in the room no matter what.  Chris said he's asked Eddie about returning to the stage and he say's he'll never do it, the only thing that would bring him back out is financial ruin. 

Edited by DallasHorn26
youtube stupid

On 5/24/2019 at 3:30 AM, PilotsError said:

I enjoyed this tremendously. I can't stand Neal Brennan and enjoyed him getting called out.

Ha.  That's awesome.  I actually think Brennan is pretty funny.  But you can't get so arrogant that you think you can take your snarky bitch bullshit to a titan like Gaffigan and not get swatted like a bug.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...