Texas schedules home-and-homes with Florida (2030-31) and Arizona State (2032-33)

Machinator

When did Florida finally grow balls? This is great. Arizona State could be a conference game by then (this is bait for the realignment people)

Wait? No trip to Tampa now? Was kinda looking forward to that. 

Not a fan of rotating UTSA and UTEP every year but the LHN needs its cupcake game. 

Also, there are holes in our 2022 and 2023 schedules that still have to be filled. A little strange to not keep the away game in 2022 to Tampa. Maybe a quicky home and home is still in the works.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This....

I can't speak for UTEP because I've never been to a game out there, but UTSA for being a new program has pretty good fan support compared to other relatively new programs.

Are we even going to El Paso as part of this agreement? It wouldn't shock me if we just bought a bunch of home games with them. I know we went out there a decade ago. 

Likewise UTSA.

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

Are we even going to El Paso as part of this agreement? It wouldn't shock me if we just bought a bunch of home games with them. I know we went out there a decade ago.

We should go back and give some other kid a chance a nationally televised handjob.  We're Texas - we'll make ya famous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Likewise UTSA.

Right. This isn't some novel arrangement, we're just scheduling UT system schools for the annual Longhorn Network OOC game instead of some other mid-to-low tier G5.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Likewise UTSA.

Just a comment about general fan support.   No, all of the games with UTEP and UTSA will be home games.   

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

When did Florida finally grow balls?

We'll see if they stick with it. The Gators haven't played an OOC game against a P5 team outside of the state of Florida in over 30 years, if you don't count the neutral site game with Michigan a few years back.

1 minute ago, TBGFL said:

We'll see if they stick with it. The Gators haven't played an OOC game against a P5 team outside of the state of Florida in over 30 years, if you don't count the neutral site game with Michigan a few years back.

Their fans are getting more demanding about this. Fifteen years ago all but a tiny minority was fine saying "we have FSU every year so we can't schedule another top tier out of conference opponent". Now more and more Florida fans want to see compelling non-conference matchups in Gainesville, not just FSU and not just adding Miami, either.

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So our upcoming OOC has these home and homes on it: LSU, Alabama, Michigan, tOSU, Georgia, and Florida. Not bad. Not bad at all. Playing the best of the Big 10 and SEC without having to join either conference. 

Exactly.  This is a direct response to the vocal minority that think changing conferences would actually be a good idea.  Getting to play the best teams in the SEC and B1G, while not having to play Illinois and Indiana and Kentucky and Texas A&M, is a GOOD thing.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Their fans are getting more demanding about this. Fifteen years ago all but a tiny minority was fine saying "we have FSU every year so we can't schedule another top tier out of conference opponent". Now more and more Florida fans want to see compelling non-conference matchups in Gainesville, not just FSU and not just adding Miami, either.

They won't add Miami back to their OOC schedule full-time. Spurrier dropped them when he first came on board because they were getting whipped by the Canes every year. One of my partners is a Gator grad and I agree about their fans being demanding about it. Before Kirby came on the scene at UGA, the SEC East division was hot garbage. 

Edited by TBGFL

26 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

They  should be demanding their game with UGA be moved back to their campus. 

32 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Exactly.  This is a direct response to the vocal minority that think changing conferences would actually be a good idea.  Getting to play the best teams in the SEC and B1G, while not having to play Illinois and Indiana and Kentucky and Texas A&M is a GOOD thing.

fify

34 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m glad my descendants will be enjoying some quality longhorn football games. Maybe I should put a clause in my will requiring them to put a scoreboard at my grave site.

This would make you The First Lady of The Surl.  So you would have that going for you, which is nice.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'll be middle aged by then, but hooo boy excited for @ Tempe

Thousands of business trips will surreptitiously extend a day or days to conclude that Friday, along with massive unaccounted-for mysterious cancellations of all PHX flights to AUS, DAL, DFW, HOU, IAH, etc.

• Like 1

Regarding the fantasy of another marquee home and home in 2022 and 2023, here are teams that need opponents at glance for those 2 seasons:

-Notre Dame (I think we had them scheduled for this cycle but they backed out to play OSU. Either way, if we were on their schedule these two seasons, they would have one of the toughest schedules in history both years.)

-Washington (I have to believe they're looking for a marquee match-up on their end for both years)

-Stanford (they've got room. It would be a tough deal for them.)

-Florida State (They have UF and no one else in the non-con so far for both seasons)

I got bored after that. Probably some others, but I'm sure we'll wind up with something like NMSU and La Monroe in those years.

33 minutes ago, OrangEngr said:

I’m a little disappointed they didn’t set up the CSU as a 2 for 1. A trip to Fort Collins would be awesome

I’m more than a little disappointed. Can’t say for sure I’ll still be living in Wyoming in 5 years but that would have been great to drive down for.