New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

• 2 weeks later...

We went over the weekend and had a fucking great time.

Friday Jazz Fest and meals at:
Cochon
Shaya
Stanley’s
Commander’s Palace
Doris
Cavan

All of them were great meals and we did our best to mix up the cuisines some. But passed on these:
4fde1f02d6564c71868cd99c7e2c0033.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

We went over the weekend and had a fucking great time.

Friday Jazz Fest and meals at:
Cochon
Shaya
Stanley’s
Commander’s Palace
Doris
Cavan

All of them were great meals and we did our best to mix up the cuisines some. But passed on these:
4fde1f02d6564c71868cd99c7e2c0033.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How am I just now finding out about Rap Snacks ????????????

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Anyone been to Elizabeth's Restaurant?  Thinking about going there for breakfast on Saturday.

We went a year (or two?) ago.  Really good, would recommend. 

Only reason we haven't been back is it's a bit out of the way.  But it seems like a lot more good spots opening up in the Bywater, so may have to spend an afternoon over there during our July trip.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't recall a bad Bloody in NO but gimme your go-to favorite. 

There are probably better ones, but grabbing a plastic go cup bloody out the window at the New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Co. on Decatur is a tried-and-true hangover cure in my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FWD said:

Nina Compton's NOLA restaurant Compere Lapin just won the James beard award, FWIW.

Interesting.  I enjoyed my one meal there (brunch), but it didn't wow me.  really snobby service which I found kinda funny for some reason.

She has new spot in Bywater in the old Mariza location.  It looks good, too.

Interesting.  I enjoyed my one meal there (brunch), but it didn't wow me.  really snobby service which I found kinda funny for some reason.
She has new spot in Bywater in the old Mariza location.  It looks good, too.

I didn’t have an issue with the service the one time I was at a real table. Otherwise bar service has been typical for bar at a nice place. Every bite of food I’ve had there has been great.

I watched UT win the 2002 College World Series at Johnny Whites Hole In The Wall Bar while drinking Bloody’s and they were TASTY.

I’ve had drinks there at 4:00 pm.

And 4:00 am.

And many points in between.

One time, in spring, they were boiling crawfish in the middle of the afternoon. It was like $7 for all you can eat, you just needed to buy a $2 beer with each big plate. Not a problem.

R’evolution. Holy shit that place. Last day here so we went pretty hard. Crab beignets, death by gumbo, truffle torchon of foi gras, roasted bone marrow, lobster gnocchi, red fish Orleans. All damn good.

Only pic I got, really good but I could probably do without the vanilla 

13_AEF5_BF_5335_4_AB8_A64_E_4_B627_EC0_C

• Like 1

Here for a conference with some newbs.

GW Finns Tuesday night. Lobster dumplings along with the Red Snapper.

Ruby Slipper for breakfast yesterday and Brennan’s today.

Commander’s Palace for dinner last night. Crawfish gnocchi was really good. Soft shell crab then bread pudding. Pudding was ridiculous.

Ok - I have a couple suggestions I already saved from the old thread. We are driving on I10 next week to Biloxi to go fishing. 12 of us. Will have a bunch of fishing gear etc in the back of the truck, so stopping for a full blown meal isn’t going to happen. (Although I am tempted to call in a to go order from Prejeans as we pass through)

What are the Must Have places to stop for boudin balls and some cracklins etc ?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Don's is bigger and has a little bit wider variety of meat products.  They also have a grill where you can get a pretty good po boy and other stuff.  Best Stop's boudin is better though.

Edited by kevwun

16 hours ago, ERhine said:

I didn’t have an issue with the service the one time I was at a real table. Otherwise bar service has been typical for bar at a nice place. Every bite of food I’ve had there has been great.

I only had brunch, so not really fair of me to comment on full menu.   I absolutely loved one of the items we ordered and my wife's drink was really unusual and well done.   It was just kinda weird and a unique NO service experience. I had a reservation, place wasn't busy at the time and they acted like they were doing me some favor by seating me.  I didn't say anything at the time but when we left my wife said "they were kinda snobby".   

20 hours ago, SmartAsset said:

There are probably better ones, but grabbing a plastic go cup bloody out the window at the New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Co. on Decatur is a tried-and-true hangover cure in my experience.

A to-go bloody from Le Bon Temps Roule in the Touro while waiting for a table at Surrey's sure doesn't suck, I can say that.

58 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

I only had brunch, so not really fair of me to comment on full menu.   I absolutely loved one of the items we ordered and my wife's drink was really unusual and well done.   It was just kinda weird and a unique NO service experience. I had a reservation, place wasn't busy at the time and they acted like they were doing me some favor by seating me.  I didn't say anything at the time but when we left my wife said "they were kinda snobby".   

I’ve actually had pretty austere service there too, and multiple times both at the bar and while tabled. 

Luke had the best Bloody Mary I've ever had.  Very thick and flavorful (TWSS), must have been a fresh tomato puree or some shit.  

Our last trip to Best Stop a couple weeks ago I think was the 1st time I didn't get a boudin ball there.  I regretted it about 5 minutes down the road.  Dumbass.

Anyone hit up the new location of Irene's?

If you don’t want to wait in line for beignets at Cafe Du Monde, on the way back home stop at a little place off I-10 headed west between New Orleans and Baton Rouge called the Coffee Shop in Sorrento. It’s got a tourist trap “Cajun Village” surrounding it, but the beignets are legit. Lunch menu doesn’t disappoint either (recommend the shrimp bouree - damn tasty).

I've now got 2 rooms booked for next weekend and need to figure out which one to cancel.  Basically the same price so that isn't a factor.  King Bed with a balcony at the Intercontinental or "standard" King at Hotel Monteleone.   Initially was fine staying at Intercontinental slightly out of the quarter because last time at the Sonesta, the room was right off Bourban and pretty damn loud and this is first trip without a kid so I know wife will want to get some sleep.   Looking at Hotel Monteleone reviews though, I don't see many noise complaints.  Thoughts?

Intercontinental is also a good one. They have a decent hotel bar and Luke is right across the street. I would probably go with Monteleone though. You may actually get a seat at the carousel bar since you’re there all the time. It’s a better location also.

We went to GW Fins last night. It was excellent. I had the scalibut. Would definitely recommend it if it’s on the menu. It’s on a bed of lobster risotto that is outstanding.
7987bb0c6e0f498c69cf62ee23ae289c.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone done Brunch at Tableau?  I tentatively have a 10AM reservation for quick brunch on way out of town (need to leave the quarter by 11:15 or so).    Alternatively, any idea how long the wait typically is at Willa Jean on Sunday around 9:30?  Doesn't look like they take reservations anymore.  

Was there in December, stayed at the Ritz (which I highly recommend).

WIthout listing everywhere we ate, let me say that Restaurant Rebirth in the Warehouse DIstrict is amazing.  Not just the best meal we had there, it is way up on my list of best meals anywhere.