New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Blue crab beignets:

78ca883d19aa1056d367bb5e78a6e163.jpg

They were indeed very good.

The rest of the meal was good. But didn’t blow us away.

Wife and son had the burger, which WAS very good, but inconsistent execution: the boy’s was slightly undercooked, and the wife’s wasn’t served very hot. Seems that they had a plating delay.

Girl and I had the turtle Bolognese. Which was good, but just didn’t blow us away.

Steak tartare came highly recommended. It was ok.

Desserts: daughter got a citrus torte that sounded great, but was pretty bland. Boy got a chocolate hazelnut chess pie. Good nutty chocolate flavor, couldn’t tell it was a chess pie. Wife got butterscotch pudding - THAT was great.

So, mediocre review for LPG.

Shaya for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 1

Will be in NOLA Saturday with wife, MIL, and three boys - 11, 9 ,7.  We want to do something nice. Boys are crazy dudes but can pull it together for a nice meal.   Any good recs where kids are acceptable?

Have a reservation at Brennan's just as a placeholder, but haven't been in years at it was brunch.  Is dinner good there?  They actually have a kids menu, which is a plus as only one is adventurous.  Read that Commander's will gladly fry some shrimp or something for kids.  

Doing Peche for lunch.  Its our favorite but was only available for lunch.

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Will be in NOLA Saturday with wife, MIL, and three boys - 11, 9 ,7.  We want to do something nice. Boys are crazy dudes but can pull it together for a nice meal.   Any good recs where kids are acceptable?

Have a reservation at Brennan's just as a placeholder, but haven't been in years at it was brunch.  Is dinner good there?  They actually have a kids menu, which is a plus as only one is adventurous.  Read that Commander's will gladly fry some shrimp or something for kids.  

Change Brennan's to breakfast, better yet hit Atchafalaya for breakfast.  Lunch at Peche.  Dinner at GW Fins.  Or Upperline.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ERhine said:

52b4684b9eee2a98885700109b95c845.jpg
ddf4b799ca842b51b71bc961ac1f0182.jpg
a408f67e4f4c4230080f0b80c356b425.jpg

There is a Cure outpost in Terminal A at the new airport. As far as airport cocktails go it is downright amazing.

Those guys seem to know what they're doing.  Our last few trips, we've made a point to pop over to Freret to enjoy some of their cocktails.  Great bourbon selection, too.

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Those guys seem to know what they're doing.  Our last few trips, we've made a point to pop over to Freret to enjoy some of their cocktails.  Great bourbon selection, too.

Uhhh yeah. They are the easily the best bar in the state and one of the best in the US

fucking awesome thAt they have an airport outpost

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

The gelato place in the airport is also really good.  I am going to check out their main shop at some point.

If it's Angelo Brocato (would surprise me if they were at the airport though, because it's old school), definitely go to the original near City Park. We love that friggin place.

Then had an orange tort. It was good, not great.

02fe1c6f86d965bb9ff33c92ff3bbf00.jpg

Daughter got a mix of antipasto. Salami was great, tuna stuffed peppers were very good, mushrooms were good, olives were just ok. I did get a tuna crudo for the table that was good.

We did 4 higher end places: Commanders, Atchafalaya, Shaya, Gianna, and Petit Grocery. And if rank them in that order. Honestly, our more pedestrian meals, like oysters at Felix’s and a muffuletta for lunch outside, were among our favorites. Hell, I loved my lunch as we left town...

21 hours ago, hornian said:

I always go for the Ramos Gin Fizz. Never disappointed. 

Same. It always shocks me the amount of people that have been to NO numerous times and never had a RGF.  But im biased... last time I went (sugar bowl last year) i had 7-8 ramos gin fizzes before i fell asleep at the bar. I always order 2 at a time because id hate to be waiting on one to be made while im sitting there with my dick in my hands

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, Underdog said:

How crazy is that state/city going over LSU/Saints for this season? 

Last time I went to Mardi Gras it was like a week after Brees and Saints just won Super Bowl and it felt like the Super Bowl partying bled into Mardi Gras for a complete bender. It was awesome.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, Don Johnson said:

Posted above but went to Brennan’s in early December for dinner and was not impressed. Keep in mind though my idea of a good meal used to be drinking 14 potions at Dungeon bar and then ordering a steamer of Krystal Burgers.

9 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Same. It always shocks me the amount of people that have been to NO numerous times and never had a RGF.  But im biased... last time I went (sugar bowl last year) i had 7-8 ramos gin fizzes before i fell asleep at the bar. I always order 2 at a time because id hate to be waiting on one to be made while im sitting there with my dick in my hands

Where else but NOLA can you pass out sitting up at a bar with your dick in your hands?

You’d be rude not to!

Yes, since pumping $30 million into renovations and hiring Slade Rushing, Brennan’s has regained its role as one of the best in the city. Rushing’s take in trout amandine is one of my favorite dishes in the city.

We finally got to Gabrielle last weekend. Greg and Mary Sonnier reopened it two years ago after it was shuttered by the storm. Highly recommended - it’s a throwback to an earlier generation of New Orleans cookings, like Brigsten’s but more casual.

Has anyone been to Saint Germain? Eater named it restaurant of the year. We were unable to get in, but had drinks there. I’ve gotten spoiled in CA but they had an impressive natural wine selection.

Also, we finally went to Couvant, and were fairly disappointed. I had been really looking forward to it as it was fairly popular among the cool kids in the restaurant circuit when it opened last year, but the service was atrocious. I suppose my steak frites was good, but I was so hungry after waiting for an hour I didn’t notice. Just didn’t have the feel of an instant classic like Turkey and the Wolf or Shaya did.

Bar Marilou, however, did. An absolute must for cocktails.

Pascal's Manale just changed hands. Doubtful the new owners changed the recipe though. The restaurant has a great standing oyster bar with one of the best shuckers in the city.

I talked to the new owner when I was there. He was the Chef there for many years on two different stints. Recipes should be fine. Sounds like he will have some fun with specials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked an Airbnb a block off of Canal for Thursday - Sunday of the LSU game weekend. Gonna be spending some time in this thread doing a little research. I've been to New Orleans a handful of times, and the food and drink choices are so good and numerous that is overwhelming. Fortunately, everything is so good that its hard to make a bad decision.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, Mac8111 said:

I didn't see the date of the post at first (2015) because I was a little confused about Bruning's Bar at Purloo?  Purloo hasn't been around in quite a while, Toups South took over that space a few years ago and now they will be closing at the end of this month.  No idea what will become of the bar.

Bar Marilou would be a pretty good addition to that list, IMO.

Road tripping my kids to NO for spring break.  3 nights and a night in BR to visit with a friend from UT and then tour the Tabasco farm on the way back.   Anything fun in between SA and NO?  13 boy and 10 girl.  Staying at the Eliza Jane Hyatt.  So far I have a rez at Cellar Door for one of the nights.   My kids are an 8 on the scale of food knowledge vs the average kid and they've traveled quite a bit.   Anything else I should consider that is family friendly and not just a burger?   

10 hours ago, Jim Thompson said:

Take 'em to Marjie's Grill if they're an 8. Killer food that won't break the budget and the chef knows his way around a wood burning grill. It's a mashup of Viet-Cambodian-Thai. Super intense flavors and the foh are super nice.

That looks fantastic.  Definitely hitting that

Headed to NO with the wife for a sales conference, so I'll get to stumble around during the day, while she is in meetings. One of our former tailgate members was from NO, and when we went with him, it was all old school. Pascal Manale's for oysters, bbq shrimp, and turtle soup, then off to Galatoire's. His brother was a waiter there, so we would sit in his section.

CHIEF

• Like 2

Headed to NO with the wife for a sales conference, so I'll get to stumble around during the day, while she is in meetings. One of our former tailgate members was from NO, and when we went with him, it was all old school. Pascal Manale's for oysters, bbq shrimp, and turtle soup, then off to Galatoire's. His brother was a waiter there, so we would sit in his section.

CHIEF

Man, was thinking about Eldon the other day. Really miss him. That loss sucks.

16 hours ago, midtown said:

Road tripping my kids to NO for spring break.  3 nights and a night in BR to visit with a friend from UT and then tour the Tabasco farm on the way back.   Anything fun in between SA and NO?  13 boy and 10 girl.  Staying at the Eliza Jane Hyatt.  So far I have a rez at Cellar Door for one of the nights.   My kids are an 8 on the scale of food knowledge vs the average kid and they've traveled quite a bit.   Anything else I should consider that is family friendly and not just a burger?   

We stayed at the Eliza Jane for the first time a couple months ago.  Pretty nice place, we'd stay there again.

We did that trip with the kids a couple of times.

The museum down at Vermillionville (Lafayette, just south of I-10) is a cool look at the history of Cajun people. Doesn’t take a long time, but a nice little slice of history.

We also stayed a night or two in a cabin in Breaux Bridge, north side of I-10, just past Poche’s market. It was on a little man made lake, had a canoe. We hung out on the porch, canoed, fished - they still talk about that place.

If you can, pack a couple of light fishing rods, bobbers, and some “crappie bites” (little white bait pellets you can get at Academy). There’s a million places to fish if you’re hanging out somewhere, and they can have fun with panfish.

We’ve also done a boat tour of the Atchafalaya - lots to see in the springtime.

Oh, and it’s crawfish season - be sure to find a dive that serves em by the tray and drag em in there. If it’s a bar with music and dancing, even better. There’s a coupla good places up in Arnaudville.