New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Thanks for all the suggestions.   I think we will have plenty to do.   Hopefully the weather is nice and we can just sit in Jackson Sq or some place near and listen to some street/bar jazz.  Is leaving your kids in the hotel room and going to Harrahs for an hour or so frowned upon?  Asking for a friend?  

Thanks for all the suggestions.   I think we will have plenty to do.   Hopefully the weather is nice and we can just sit in Jackson Sq or some place near and listen to some street/bar jazz.  Is leaving your kids in the hotel room and going to Harrahs for an hour or so frowned upon?  Asking for a friend?  

It’s New Orleans....the list of things that are “frowned upon” is rather short.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s New Orleans....the list of things that are “frowned upon” is rather short.

Police: sir you left a 13 and 10 year old in a hotel room while you gambled?

Me: Yes.

Police: Well we didnt find a hooker or any crack in the room.  Have a good night. 

Heading to NOLA in about a month and working with the wife to square away the dining. Curious to see if there's anything new and exciting that the board is into, as we haven't been in about a year. We typically do things like Peche, Brennan's, R'evolution for dinner. Almost always do Mother's at lunch on the first weekday for the greasy spoon. We'll eat whatever and I try to keep up with this thread, but do so poorly, so here's one question:

If you could only eat at one place in NOLA before you died in a ditch, what restaurant would you choose?

Beyond that, we normally people-watch and wander around as we try to drink at locations where they're famous for a drink - during the middle of one of the days we're there. Roosevelt for the Ramos Gin Fizz. Napoleon House for the Bourbon Milk Punch. Carousel for the Vieux Carre'. Lafitte's for the Hurricane (I think, during an afternoon, this is some of the funnest people watching on the planet. We don't dare go near it at night, as it becomes a complete Bourbon Street shithole, but watching the bachelor/ette parties stop by as they're just beginning to ramp up while sitting in a dark corner is fucking greatness). There's like 5 places for the Sazerac worth stopping into with a claim to originating it. 

Anyway, are we whiffing on an inimitable bar experience somewhere that can claim some history with a drink in NOLA? 

Thanks for any thoughts in advance. Also, been to R'evolution like 3 times in the past 3-4 years. It's still a steakhouse. Delicious ... and a steakhouse. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Heading to NOLA in about a month and working with the wife to square away the dining. Curious to see if there's anything new and exciting that the board is into, as we haven't been in about a year. We typically do things like Peche, Brennan's, R'evolution for dinner. Almost always do Mother's at lunch on the first weekday for the greasy spoon. We'll eat whatever and I try to keep up with this thread, but do so poorly, so here's one question:

If you could only eat at one place in NOLA before you died in a ditch, what restaurant would you choose?

Beyond that, we normally people-watch and wander around as we try to drink at locations where they're famous for a drink - during the middle of one of the days we're there. Roosevelt for the Ramos Gin Fizz. Napoleon House for the Bourbon Milk Punch. Carousel for the Vieux Carre'. Lafitte's for the Hurricane (I think, during an afternoon, this is some of the funnest people watching on the planet. We don't dare go near it at night, as it becomes a complete Bourbon Street shithole, but watching the bachelor/ette parties stop by as they're just beginning to ramp up while sitting in a dark corner is fucking greatness). There's like 5 places for the Sazerac worth stopping into with a claim to originating it. 

Anyway, are we whiffing on an inimitable bar experience somewhere that can claim some history with a drink in NOLA? 

Thanks for any thoughts in advance. Also, been to R'evolution like 3 times in the past 3-4 years. It's still a steakhouse. Delicious ... and a steakhouse. 

Add Atchafalaya for Brunch if you've never been.   My favorite meal each of the last 2 trips (other than Sugar Bowl which didn't work out timing wise).  It's phenomenal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You have the drink/bar question covered and I can't really add to your list.  Lots of other bars I like, but can't think of another with a strong drink association.  I'm thirsty now.

As for the last NOLA meal, that's a tough one, for obvious reasons.  But, pre-ditch, I guess I'd have to go with Commander's or Upperline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbs said:

You have the drink/bar question covered and I can't really add to your list.  Lots of other bars I like, but can't think of another with a strong drink association.  I'm thirsty now.

As for the last NOLA meal, that's a tough one, for obvious reasons.  But, pre-ditch, I guess I'd have to go with Commander's or Upperline.

I've never been to Commander's Palace for whatever reason. I've told her to lock that one in. I'll check out Upperline as well. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've never been to Commander's Palace for whatever reason. I've told her to lock that one in. I'll check out Upperline as well. Thanks.

you could do Commanders for lunch and take advantage of their $0.25 Martinis.  Limit three per person.  It could make for the beginning to a rather memorable day...or a day you can't remember

• Like 1

Commander's is the 'ditch' answer for me as well. Though we've ever only done brunch. I really do need to hit it up for lunch or dinner. 

For cocktails - my wife went on a cocktail walking tour once when I wasn't with her and she raved about it. They mixed up various cocktails, told stories and walked the quarter early in the evening I believe. Could be something to add to your list. 

Also, Arnaud's for the French 75 wasn't on your aforementioned list. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dangit said:

Commander's is the 'ditch' answer for me as well. Though we've ever only done brunch. I really do need to hit it up for lunch or dinner. 

For cocktails - my wife went on a cocktail walking tour once when I wasn't with her and she raved about it. They mixed up various cocktails, told stories and walked the quarter early in the evening I believe. Could be something to add to your list. 

Also, Arnaud's for the French 75 wasn't on your aforementioned list. 

Man, I dig a French 75.  Solid choice.

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Those guys put out some damn good daiquiris and other miscellaneous rum drinks over at Manolito.  Big fan of Hannah.

If you're looking for something really different (Colombian), Mais Arepas is a nice change up. 

Oh yeah, second the recommendation of Manolito. Ran into Hannah at a second line over the holidays, he is a cool dude. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, midtown said:

Police: sir you left a 13 and 10 year old in a hotel room while you gambled?

Me: Yes.

Police: Would you like to buy some crack and/or heroin from the trunk of our cruiser?

There, now it's accurate for NOLA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

If you like oysters, grab a seat at the bar at Felix's where they shuck the oysters at 8:30. Sit there, order food, drink, shoot the shit with the staff doing the shucking. They'll toss you a complimentary oyster or 3 while you're there.

My family has been going to Felix's for probably 70+ years.  Sit at the bar.  Introduce yourself to the shucker.  Hand him a $20, tell him you appreciate him taking care of you tonight.  Eat a buncha oysters, drink a buncha beer.  Get plenty of free ones of each during the evening.  Tip him again at the end of the evening.  Thank God that you live on a planet with oysters and beer.  Amen.

• Like 2

My family has been going to Felix's for probably 70+ years.  Sit at the bar.  Introduce yourself to the shucker.  Hand him a $20, tell him you appreciate him taking care of you tonight.  Eat a buncha oysters, drink a buncha beer.  Get plenty of free ones of each during the evening.  Tip him again at the end of the evening.  Thank God that you live on a planet with oysters and beer.  Amen.

This. Felix’s is the best.

1 minute ago, We’reTexas said:

Yes, it’s very good, in the space where Mariza used to be. But it’s not a statement “New Orleans” restaurant, if that’s what you’re looking for. It’s more new American, similar to Coquette and Sylvain.

Cool thanks. Have a rez next week. Mainly curious if it worth venturing to a new part of NO. Ive had my share of the statement restaurants and for me there is only so much creole I can take in a visit, so like to mix it up. 

52 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Cool thanks. Have a rez next week. Mainly curious if it worth venturing to a new part of NO. Ive had my share of the statement restaurants and for me there is only so much creole I can take in a visit, so like to mix it up. 

Fun to try, but Compere Lapin is better. We did Bywater with Bacchanal Wine and Cocktails because its in the same general area. 

Fun to try, but Compere Lapin is better. We did Bywater with Bacchanal Wine and Cocktails because its in the same general area. 

Oh yeah, Bacchanal is an essential NOLA spot. It’s our Sunday afternoon go to.

Next Saturday is Krew de Vieux, so I highly recommend checking out the Carnival festivities if you are in the Bywater.

If you've never been and are looking for a good (different good) spot Uptown, this place will fit the bill.  Buddy of mine who grew up in NOLA hipped me to it.  Their Mexican Omelette is some good shit.

What takes the place to eleven is the staff.  They really set the resaurant apart.  There are some serious characters working that joint, and for a town like New Orleans, that's saying something...

1:25 mark...

• Like 2

Oh no, I didn't think it was a new deal, just a place I don't see discussed much.  That's why I disclaimered it with "If you've never been".  That's like, "With all due respect", right?

I mean, in a town where you can't swing a dead cat over your head without hitting greatness food-wise, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

I just thought I'd give the place a little run in this thread.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Oh no, I didn't think it was a new deal, just a place I don't see discussed much.  That's why I disclaimered it with "If you've never been".  That's like, "With all due respect", right?

I mean, in a town where you can't swing a dead cat over your head without hitting greatness food-wise, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

I just thought I'd give the place a little run in this thread.

Warranted.  Not discussed nearly enough herein.  

Never disappoints.   Unsure what kind of grease those fries are in, but oh boy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

What are the names of the places to stop at on the way? I mean the places worth stopping off of I-10 in Cajun country?

This would be a place to stop on the way back and mind you, it's a little jaunt off of I-10 down to Maurice (south of Lafeyette about 20 or 30 minutes iirc), but there's a place called Hebert's Specialty Meats.  Everything they've got will knock your dick in the dirt but what I always went for were the boneless, stuffed chickens.  I know, I know, nothing new and lots of places are doing them now (Hell, I think there's even an Hebert's in Houston or Galveston), but this particular one is the mothership and they're are worth every bit of effort in trying to procure.  Definitely fits under the "take an ice chest" category.  

iIrISzptuWfAzUhfFe8MyobH5wMsmqafEWx7AXfd

deboned-stuffed-chicken-heberts-specialt

Also, if you like Char-Grilled Oysters then stop in Baton Rouge at Mansurs on the Boulevard.  Best I've ever had and I love all the other mainstays you've heard of like Drago's in Metairie (The one in the CBD sucks ass btw), but Mansurs takes honors in my book...

5720 Corporate Blvd A, Baton Rouge, LA 70808

1003724.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ERhine said:

A few options:
Darrell’s in Lake Charles (Po boys - I would argue the best in Louisiana)
Sonnier Sausage and Boudin in Lake Charles (their smoked boudin is great)
Sausage Link in Sulphur
Best Stop in Scott (bring a cooler)

Best Stop smoked Boudin doesn’t suck either.

Ok, so...... My grandmother was born in the New Iberia area, and grew up in Milton, Louisiana.  My mother was also born in that area, but They moved to Texas City, because of her father having to relocate for work.

I learned how to cook, standing in the kitchen next to my grandmother and mother, even though I was mostly in the way.  But I learned more than you’ll ever know on those nights.

I’ve been all over Louisiana for work or just passing through, whatever.  But in 47 and 1/2 years, I’ve never been to New Orleans. (I know. I have no idea why either.) But, it is something I must do.  

But is there a way to do it right?  Or just wing it and try everything possible?  Best place to stay, to get the most out of the trip?

That being said, Commander’s is a must.

Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Ok, so...... My grandmother was born in the New Iberia area, and grew up in Milton, Louisiana.  My mother was also born in that area, but They moved to Texas City, because of her father having to relocate for work.

I learned how to cook, standing in the kitchen next to my grandmother and mother, even though I was mostly in the way.  But I learned more than you’ll ever know on those nights.

I’ve been all over Louisiana for work or just passing through, whatever.  But in 47 and 1/2 years, I’ve never been to New Orleans. (I know. I have no idea why either.) But, it is something I must do.  

But is there a way to do it right?  Or just wing it and try everything possible?  Best place to stay, to get the most out of the trip?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you want. Is it just food; or culture, or jus to be a tourist?

The Quarter is the Quarter, it’s an entity unto itself. Once you see it, you get it. At your age, you don’t need to stay there. But visiting it is a must if you’ve never been. Carousel Bar, Jean Lafittes, even the back bar (the wood paneled one with all the photos) at Pat O’Brians are worth a visit. Food wise, down there I always try to hit Stella and grab a po boy either from the back of Erin Rose or Verti Marte. Hard to go wrong with either. 

Do yourself a favor and go the Sazerac Bar as well - it’s in the Roosevelt Hotel. Ironically; I prefer the sazerac at the Carosuel Bar, and I always order a Ramos Gin Fiz here. 

If you are near Downtown, go to the WWII museum at some point. 

In my last few trips there I’ve been trying to see more of the city. The garden district is a great streetcar ride, and there are plenty of places you can hop off and grab a bite or a drink, then hop back on. I also really enjoy the area around Tulane, and City Park - but I have young kids so YMMV. 

Midtown is more “lived in” than other parts of the city, but some of the best food I’ve had has been here. You can tell it’s not geared towards tourists; which is nice. Standouts on my last trip up here were Piece Of Meat and, of course, poboys at Parkside. 

You already mentioned Commanders, another place I try to go to as often as I’m there is Dooky Chase. I haven’t been since Leah Chase died, but everything I’ve ever had there was great - especially the fried chicken. 

I’ve had a lot of great meals at places like Luke, La Petite Grocery, the Rib Room, Brennan’s, Kingfisher, Cochon, etc, and they are all worth a visit, but don’t spread yourself too thin trying to hit everywhere at once. You’ll probably find yourself going back once you’ve been there once, so pick out one or two and save the rest for return trip or three. 

• Like 3

^^This man knows of what he speaks.

Do not brush off his Midtown advice.  I used to live right off of Broad St over there and the choices are as good as they are authentic.  If you dig fried yardbird there's Willie Mae's over there (no secret, but it's damned good) and then there's this place which is equally good and is off the tourist radar screen.  It's take-out, no sit down, but definitely some bangin' shit...

a5da1db48e67202e9e70cfc3b9347724.jpg?fit

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe5U95d_dq3WtLADlAgwi

Edited by Cajun
Crescent City Steakhouse is also worth a visit in Midtown.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:27 PM, Rip76 said:

Thanks in advance.

For a first trip, I'd probably recommend staying in the Central Business District, which is generally between I10 and the river, between Canal and US 90.  It's walking distance to the Quarter, but away from the insanity, and home to a lot of good bars/restaurants.  Old 77 and Eliza Jane are nice, interesting hotels that have been renovated from old warehouses.  The Roosevelt is another great place to stay.  All have really good bars.  Easy in/out with Uber and nearby access to streetcar stops.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the city's history, Free Tours by Foot has some really informative tours of the Quarter, the Garden District, cemeteries.  The Presbytere, next to St Louis Cathedral, has some interesting exhibits about Katrina and the history of Mardi Gras.  WWII museum was mentioned.  Incredible.  You can spend a day there and not see everything.  Sazerac House is a new experience/museum that gives some insight into the city's love of spirits and the Sazerac cocktail.

While you'll probably want to try to hit some of the tourist hot spots - Bourbon St bars and shops, Pat O's, Jackson Square, Carousel Bar, Acme, Commander's - don't get bogged down in that the whole trip.  City Park, Audubon Park, Louis Armstrong Park all offer something unique.  Hit up some Frenchmen St jazz clubs.  Try one of the breweries along Tchoupitoulas.  Find out if there are any festivals going on while you are there or better yet, try to plan your trip around one.  French Quarter Fest is a fantastic experience for local food, drink, and music.  

Food.  So many choices.  Old school institutions (Arnaud's, Commander's, Galatoire's, Brennan's), new institutions (Revolution, GW Fins, Peche), butchers (Piece of Meat, Cochon Butcher, Toups), po boys (Parkway, Killer, Domilise's), neighborhood upscale (Clancy's, Brigtsen's, Upperline), classic Southern cuisine (Dooky Chase, Neyow's, High Hat).  Read this thread to get some ideas, check out the menus online, and make a plan.  Get reservations if possible.  We don't completely fill the dance card every day and try not to over eat.  It's nice to have room for a small bite somewhere you happen to be passing by: souffle potatoes at Arnaud's French 75, gumbo at Herbsaint, bar snacks at Cure, happy hour flatbread at Meril or Domenica.

Drink.  Swing a dead cat, find a great bar.  I'd put Cure and Jewel of the South at the top of my list. But wherever you go, don't get stuck at one spot, here are too many great places to enjoy.  The view at Hot Tin.  A Gin Fizz at the Sazerac Bar.  A daiquiri at Manolito.  A Pimm's Cup from Marvin Allen at the Carousel.  A mint julep (and much cocktail banter) from Chris McMillian at Revel.  The huge beer and bourbon selection at Avenue Pub.  A frozen Irish Coffee at Erin Rose.  Surprisingly good Mayhaw bar at Auction House Market.  Just scratching the surface, oh boy....

Wherever you end up, don't worry about "missing" anything on your trip, because those places start the list for your next trip.  Part of the greatness of the city is discovering the places that speak to you, whether it's the most well known establishment, a locals recommendation, or somewhere you randomly stopped in.  Enjoy!

• Like 9