New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

On 2/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

For a first trip, I'd probably recommend staying in the Central Business District, which is generally between I10 and the river, between Canal and US 90.  It's walking distance to the Quarter, but away from the insanity, and home to a lot of good bars/restaurants.  Old 77 and Eliza Jane are nice, interesting hotels that have been renovated from old warehouses.  The Roosevelt is another great place to stay.  All have really good bars.  Easy in/out with Uber and nearby access to streetcar stops.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the city's history, Free Tours by Foot has some really informative tours of the Quarter, the Garden District, cemeteries.  The Presbytere, next to St Louis Cathedral, has some interesting exhibits about Katrina and the history of Mardi Gras.  WWII museum was mentioned.  Incredible.  You can spend a day there and not see everything.  Sazerac House is a new experience/museum that gives some insight into the city's love of spirits and the Sazerac cocktail.

While you'll probably want to try to hit some of the tourist hot spots - Bourbon St bars and shops, Pat O's, Jackson Square, Carousel Bar, Acme, Commander's - don't get bogged down in that the whole trip.  City Park, Audubon Park, Louis Armstrong Park all offer something unique.  Hit up some Frenchmen St jazz clubs.  Try one of the breweries along Tchoupitoulas.  Find out if there are any festivals going on while you are there or better yet, try to plan your trip around one.  French Quarter Fest is a fantastic experience for local food, drink, and music.  

Food.  So many choices.  Old school institutions (Arnaud's, Commander's, Galatoire's, Brennan's), new institutions (Revolution, GW Fins, Peche), butchers (Piece of Meat, Cochon Butcher, Toups), po boys (Parkway, Killer, Domilise's), neighborhood upscale (Clancy's, Brigtsen's, Upperline), classic Southern cuisine (Dooky Chase, Neyow's, High Hat).  Read this thread to get some ideas, check out the menus online, and make a plan.  Get reservations if possible.  We don't completely fill the dance card every day and try not to over eat.  It's nice to have room for a small bite somewhere you happen to be passing by: souffle potatoes at Arnaud's French 75, gumbo at Herbsaint, bar snacks at Cure, happy hour flatbread at Meril or Domenica.

Drink.  Swing a dead cat, find a great bar.  I'd put Cure and Jewel of the South at the top of my list. But wherever you go, don't get stuck at one spot, here are too many great places to enjoy.  The view at Hot Tin.  A Gin Fizz at the Sazerac Bar.  A daiquiri at Manolito.  A Pimm's Cup from Marvin Allen at the Carousel.  A mint julep (and much cocktail banter) from Chris McMillian at Revel.  The huge beer and bourbon selection at Avenue Pub.  A frozen Irish Coffee at Erin Rose.  Surprisingly good Mayhaw bar at Auction House Market.  Just scratching the surface, oh boy....

Wherever you end up, don't worry about "missing" anything on your trip, because those places start the list for your next trip.  Part of the greatness of the city is discovering the places that speak to you, whether it's the most well known establishment, a locals recommendation, or somewhere you randomly stopped in.  Enjoy!

Right on.  Thank you, great post.

🤝

On 1/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

What are the names of the places to stop at on the way? I mean the places worth stopping off of I-10 in Cajun country?

Old Tyme Grocery in Lafayette does a really solid po' boy. I find I'm usually ready for a beer and a sandwich by the time I get to Lafayette so we usually stop there.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

For a first trip, I'd probably recommend staying in the Central Business District, which is generally between I10 and the river, between Canal and US 90.  It's walking distance to the Quarter, but away from the insanity, and home to a lot of good bars/restaurants.  Old 77 and Eliza Jane are nice, interesting hotels that have been renovated from old warehouses.  The Roosevelt is another great place to stay.  All have really good bars.  Easy in/out with Uber and nearby access to streetcar stops.

If you want to familiarize yourself with the city's history, Free Tours by Foot has some really informative tours of the Quarter, the Garden District, cemeteries.  The Presbytere, next to St Louis Cathedral, has some interesting exhibits about Katrina and the history of Mardi Gras.  WWII museum was mentioned.  Incredible.  You can spend a day there and not see everything.  Sazerac House is a new experience/museum that gives some insight into the city's love of spirits and the Sazerac cocktail.

While you'll probably want to try to hit some of the tourist hot spots - Bourbon St bars and shops, Pat O's, Jackson Square, Carousel Bar, Acme, Commander's - don't get bogged down in that the whole trip.  City Park, Audubon Park, Louis Armstrong Park all offer something unique.  Hit up some Frenchmen St jazz clubs.  Try one of the breweries along Tchoupitoulas.  Find out if there are any festivals going on while you are there or better yet, try to plan your trip around one.  French Quarter Fest is a fantastic experience for local food, drink, and music.  

Food.  So many choices.  Old school institutions (Arnaud's, Commander's, Galatoire's, Brennan's), new institutions (Revolution, GW Fins, Peche), butchers (Piece of Meat, Cochon Butcher, Toups), po boys (Parkway, Killer, Domilise's), neighborhood upscale (Clancy's, Brigtsen's, Upperline), classic Southern cuisine (Dooky Chase, Neyow's, High Hat).  Read this thread to get some ideas, check out the menus online, and make a plan.  Get reservations if possible.  We don't completely fill the dance card every day and try not to over eat.  It's nice to have room for a small bite somewhere you happen to be passing by: souffle potatoes at Arnaud's French 75, gumbo at Herbsaint, bar snacks at Cure, happy hour flatbread at Meril or Domenica.

Drink.  Swing a dead cat, find a great bar.  I'd put Cure and Jewel of the South at the top of my list. But wherever you go, don't get stuck at one spot, here are too many great places to enjoy.  The view at Hot Tin.  A Gin Fizz at the Sazerac Bar.  A daiquiri at Manolito.  A Pimm's Cup from Marvin Allen at the Carousel.  A mint julep (and much cocktail banter) from Chris McMillian at Revel.  The huge beer and bourbon selection at Avenue Pub.  A frozen Irish Coffee at Erin Rose.  Surprisingly good Mayhaw bar at Auction House Market.  Just scratching the surface, oh boy....

Wherever you end up, don't worry about "missing" anything on your trip, because those places start the list for your next trip.  Part of the greatness of the city is discovering the places that speak to you, whether it's the most well known establishment, a locals recommendation, or somewhere you randomly stopped in.  Enjoy!

Just quoting because it bears repeating. Well said.

• 2 weeks later...

Might meet a family later this year in New Orleans.  It'd be the first time in the city for all of us.  They're not Americans and are traveling through.  There will be 3 kids, so I'm trying to narrow down some good spots to eat that aren't expensive, and would appeal to kids.  I saw Redneck's post and made note of Parkway, Killer, Domilise's and High Hat after seeing their menus.  Are there any others that offer simple po-boys, fried baskets, jambalaya, and gumbo?

The family is interested in doing one of those ghost tours, so I'm guessing the food should be somewhat nearby.

Going to be checking in a lot more on this thread since my daughter and her husband just bought a house in New Orleans.  PSA - Spirit now routinely had non-stops for $67 (but Spirit...). The wife and I are gonna take a week off after a wedding in Houston and spend 10 days or so in the area.  Will do some tourist shit like see the WWII Museum, and give me a suggestion? Plan on seeing a couple nights of JazzFest the first weekend, and catching some local music in smaller joints.  The good news is with the kids new home base I can leave some shit behind like casual clothes and fishing gear, making those cheap no luggage Spirit flights doable.  Or come to New Orleans then hop over to Pensacola for a day or two.  I always have sort of viewed New Orleans like I view South By on South Congress, Spring break for old people!   I gotta find stuff to do beyond just eating and drinking for a week.  So this thread is great as it helps me to hopefully make the best possible choices and skip any of the "wish I would have gone to" choices. Keep the reviews coming and thanks!!!

Heading to Commander’s for dinner, Le Petit Grocery for brunch, then Clancy’s for the next dinner next weekend. All based on recs from this thread. Thanks for new stuff (I recognize those recs aren’t new restaurants).

Looking for a non-Cafe du Monde place for coffee and beignets as a request from the wife of the other couple going. Actually, she wanted beignets and I said I’ll never be going to that tourist shithole again. I have a fear of cockroaches and saw plenty there (it’s New Orleans, I know) and rats, which don’t bother me but who wants to eat with them? the last time we went to du Monde with someone. 

Also, I sent my wife, the planner, the link to this thread and told her to think about recs. She enjoyed the thread but was concerned about the rest of the site and my well-being. She’s ... familiar with my behaviors on the Internet over the years and aware of Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly. I heard two thoughts from her besides her thinking this thread was helpful: 

1) “you really know how to piss people off”

and

2) “there are some true fucking idiots on that site. what are you doing with your days on places like that?”

So, thanks?

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Heading to Commander’s for dinner, Le Petit Grocery for brunch, then Clancy’s for the next dinner next weekend. All based on recs from this thread. Thanks for new stuff (I recognize those recs aren’t new restaurants).

Looking for a non-Cafe du Monde place for coffee and beignets as a request from the wife of the other couple going. Actually, she wanted beignets and I said I’ll never be going to that tourist shithole again. I have a fear of cockroaches and saw plenty there (it’s New Orleans, I know) and rats, which don’t bother me but who wants to eat with them? the last time we went to du Monde with someone. 

Also, I sent my wife, the planner, the link to this thread and told her to think about recs. She enjoyed the thread but was concerned about the rest of the site and my well-being. She’s ... familiar with my behaviors on the Internet over the years and aware of Hornfans/Shaggy/Surly. I heard two thoughts from her besides her thinking this thread was helpful: 

1) “you really know how to piss people off”

and

2) “there are some true fucking idiots on that site. what are you doing with your days on places like that?”

So, thanks?

Go to Cafe Beignet on Royal St right next to the police station.  The beignets are just as good and you don't have to wait forever.  There are lots of shops in the area so you will score additional brownie points.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to brave multiple attacks from the coronavirus and made my way to and from New Orleans this weekend. 

We went to Parkway for Poboys after checking into the hotel. I'd never been. That place is the balls. I had the James Brown special, which was brisket and fried shrimp, with pepper jack cheese, fully dressed, and a spicy a remoulade. It sounds weird, but it was delicious. The fried pickles were also about as good as I've ever had them.

Went to Commander's Palace on Friday night. While it was outstanding, its cuisine and style wasn't markedly different than Brennan's of Houston. You're probably thinking "no shit", but I'd seen people rave about it on here and Shaggy over the years, so figured we'd give it a go. I'm thinking a lot of the people who love it don't live in Houston and have access to the Brennan's here. Don't get me wrong, every part of the meal was outstanding and we had no regrets. I had the fried oysters, the soup 1-1-1 and then the duck and all was outstanding. I'm sure dessert was delicious too, but it had been a long day of drinking. 

Le Petit Grocerie for lunch the next day. Blue crab beignets are always excellent. Had the wagyu sirloin. I know sirloin isn't a favorite cut for many folks, but I've loved sirloins since serving them for years at Outback in the Arboretum and buying extras at the end of night for $5 and cooking them with my roommates and gorging in the middle of the night. Wagyu dials the flavor way up and LPG did it amazingly. They had butterscotch budino on the menu, which you almost never see. So, it's grim, but we did the ol'three courser at lunch.

Lit a lot of money on fire and argued with multiple LSU people at Harrah's for some of the afternoon. 

We went to Clancy's on Saturday night. You guys that recommend this place hit it dead nuts on. This was the highlight meal of the trip. Everything was outstanding, but I had the veal scallopine with crab, asparagus and bernaise sauce over the top and it was one of the best dishes I've had in a long ass while. Also, they also had butterscotch budino on the menu, so, uh, yeah did that twice in the same day. 

You guys that make the recs on this thread are appreciated. I'm never let down in NOLA. Can't wait to go again some time later this year. Thinking about driving it for some reason. 

Also also, the people watching in the afternoon at Lafitte's on Friday is way more entertaining than it should be. Multiple people were having trouble keeping their balance in and around the place. The highlight was watching a herd of elephants disguised as a bachelorette party really starting to get air underneath them as they headed into the evening. I'm assuming at some point the resident troop of Vic Mackeys showed up and proceeded to pick off a few of them as easy pickings later in the night.

Finally, sorry for no pics, but I'm not a 26 year old Asian female or HenryJames, and I don't photograph my food.

• Like 1

Funny you mention that about Commanders and Brennan’s Houston - they are owned by the same wing of the family.

I was down the weekend before MG and also hit up Clancy’s and LPG, both outstanding (and surprisingly not crowded). I saw that Dick and Jenny’s closed this week and was unsurprised - ate there Saturday and it was awful.

Finally checked out Lil Dizzies. If you want fried chicken without the Willie Maes’ line, I recommend it.

I understand what you mean about Commander's.  It's damn good and I enjoy the atmosphere, but I have to walk back my "last place before dead in a ditch" call above.  I was there a few weeks ago and, while CP was very good (as always), everyone in our group thought our meal at Upperline the day before was markedly better.  I've been to Upperline several times, but it had been a while and I forgot how strong it is.  Everything was excellent so, if you haven't been, put it on your list.

Also, instead of the usual Domelise's/Parkway/Casamento's for lunch, we tried Turkey and the Wolf.  Different, but would definitely go back.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, kevwun said:

Go to Cafe Beignet on Royal St right next to the police station.  The beignets are just as good and you don't have to wait forever.  There are lots of shops in the area so you will score additional brownie points.

Third-ed!  And they have other great options as well if someone wants an alternative.

Stop in at James H Cohen while she's shopping on Royal.

Edited by Reagan1k

2 hours ago, hobbs said:

I understand what you mean about Commander's.  It's damn good and I enjoy the atmosphere, but I have to walk back my "last place before dead in a ditch" call above.  I was there a few weeks ago and, while CP was very good (as always), everyone in our group thought our meal at Upperline the day before was markedly better.  I've been to Upperline several times, but it had been a while and I forgot how strong it is.  Everything was excellent so, if you haven't been, put it on your list.

Also, instead of the usual Domelise's/Parkway/Casamento's for lunch, we tried Turkey and the Wolf.  Different, but would definitely go back.

Upperline is definitely a go to

On 2/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, msbesq said:

Morning Call in Metarie has the best beignets in town. A very easy drive from the tourist trap of the Quarter.

That location closed about two years ago.  And then they lost the lease on the location in City Park, so I don't think Morning Call has any brick-and-mortar locations around NO anymore unless something opened up fairly recently. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, closetojumping said:

I was able to brave multiple attacks from the coronavirus and made my way to and from New Orleans this weekend. 

We went to Parkway for Poboys after checking into the hotel. I'd never been. That place is the balls. I had the James Brown special, which was brisket and fried shrimp, with pepper jack cheese, fully dressed, and a spicy a remoulade. It sounds weird, but it was delicious. The fried pickles were also about as good as I've ever had them.

Went to Commander's Palace on Friday night. While it was outstanding, its cuisine and style wasn't markedly different than Brennan's of Houston. You're probably thinking "no shit", but I'd seen people rave about it on here and Shaggy over the years, so figured we'd give it a go. I'm thinking a lot of the people who love it don't live in Houston and have access to the Brennan's here. Don't get me wrong, every part of the meal was outstanding and we had no regrets. I had the fried oysters, the soup 1-1-1 and then the duck and all was outstanding. I'm sure dessert was delicious too, but it had been a long day of drinking. 

Le Petit Grocerie for lunch the next day. Blue crab beignets are always excellent. Had the wagyu sirloin. I know sirloin isn't a favorite cut for many folks, but I've loved sirloins since serving them for years at Outback in the Arboretum and buying extras at the end of night for $5 and cooking them with my roommates and gorging in the middle of the night. Wagyu dials the flavor way up and LPG did it amazingly. They had butterscotch budino on the menu, which you almost never see. So, it's grim, but we did the ol'three courser at lunch.

Lit a lot of money on fire and argued with multiple LSU people at Harrah's for some of the afternoon. 

We went to Clancy's on Saturday night. You guys that recommend this place hit it dead nuts on. This was the highlight meal of the trip. Everything was outstanding, but I had the veal scallopine with crab, asparagus and bernaise sauce over the top and it was one of the best dishes I've had in a long ass while. Also, they also had butterscotch budino on the menu, so, uh, yeah did that twice in the same day. 

You guys that make the recs on this thread are appreciated. I'm never let down in NOLA. Can't wait to go again some time later this year. Thinking about driving it for some reason. 

Also also, the people watching in the afternoon at Lafitte's on Friday is way more entertaining than it should be. Multiple people were having trouble keeping their balance in and around the place. The highlight was watching a herd of elephants disguised as a bachelorette party really starting to get air underneath them as they headed into the evening. I'm assuming at some point the resident troop of Vic Mackeys showed up and proceeded to pick off a few of them as easy pickings later in the night.

Finally, sorry for no pics, but I'm not a 26 year old Asian female or HenryJames, and I don't photograph my food.

TIL HenryJames isn’t a 26 year old Asian female

Leaving Sunday with the 13 and 10 on a road trip.  Will only go to the far side of Houston metro on Sun to break it up and stay in another hotel because thats what I did growing up.  That will put us in around 3pm on Monday.   That drive should coincide well with lunch stop in Lafayette.   So far I have the following planned:

WWII Museum, Ghost, Vodoo, Vampire Walking tour, Mardi Gras behind the scenes tour.    Perhaps the aquarium but my kids have been to plenty and are kind of over it.   Other than those and just walking around and explaining to my kids about strip clubs and meth anything else?  I assume in Jackson square there will be things going.  Would be great to find a kid friendly jazz restaurant/bar.    Walk around the french market.   Will do a free walking tour.   

Food wise:

I plan to hit up the beignet place on Royal and I have a dinner rez at Cellar Door for Wednesday.    Thinking ACME for a lunch one day.    Monday when we get in I was going to do Dienes.   Or do you think Peche is a better choice.    Also need a rec for a good greasy burger for a lunch.   Any other fun good breakfast spots.   Friends and I ate at Willie Jean and it was OK.  Not sure my kids would get much out of it.   Need a dinner rec for Tuesday as well. 

46 minutes ago, midtown said:

Leaving Sunday with the 13 and 10 on a road trip.  Will only go to the far side of Houston metro on Sun to break it up and stay in another hotel because thats what I did growing up.  That will put us in around 3pm on Monday.   That drive should coincide well with lunch stop in Lafayette.   So far I have the following planned:

WWII Museum, Ghost, Vodoo, Vampire Walking tour, Mardi Gras behind the scenes tour.    Perhaps the aquarium but my kids have been to plenty and are kind of over it.   Other than those and just walking around and explaining to my kids about strip clubs and meth anything else?  I assume in Jackson square there will be things going.  Would be great to find a kid friendly jazz restaurant/bar.    Walk around the french market.   Will do a free walking tour.   

Food wise:

I plan to hit up the beignet place on Royal and I have a dinner rez at Cellar Door for Wednesday.    Thinking ACME for a lunch one day.    Monday when we get in I was going to do Dienes.   Or do you think Peche is a better choice.    Also need a rec for a good greasy burger for a lunch.   Any other fun good breakfast spots.   Friends and I ate at Willie Jean and it was OK.  Not sure my kids would get much out of it.   Need a dinner rec for Tuesday as well. 

Hit Clover Grill for that greasy burger fix. They've been rolling 24/7 since 1939. The kids will get a kick out of it too. It's a time capsule spot. Betsy's Pancake House is a good, old school breakfast diner. We hated Peche. Never heard of Dienes.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Food wise:

With kids in mind, but all really good regardless of age:

Jazz - Preservation Hall

Good burger - Company Burger

Breakfast - District Donuts

Dinner - Jacques Imo's, Pizza Delicious, High Hat - Peche would be fine/fun with kids as well, as long as they're semi-adventurous eaters

2 hours ago, Jim Thompson said:

Hit Clover Grill for that greasy burger fix. They've been rolling 24/7 since 1939. The kids will get a kick out of it too. It's a time capsule spot. Betsy's Pancake House is a good, old school breakfast diner. We hated Peche. Never heard of Dienes.

Clover Grill is fun!  "We love to fry, and it shows."

Peche is one of the best restaurants in New Orleans and is consistently excellent like few other restaurants I’ve ever been to. As for things to do, get out of the FQ. Garden District mansions, Audubon Park, City Park, Bayou St. John - it’s a great city to walk and enjoy. 

• Like 1

Southwest has a sale going on for flights from Austin to New Orleans.  It's the best prices they've had in years.  March through June, we are looking at May 7 or 8 through the 10th.  You can fly for $150 or $175 a person direct depending on if we leave Thursday or Friday.

spacer.png

FC and mustard greens at Dunbar's

spacer.png

fried lobster tails with crawfish gravy and egg on biscuit at Bearkat Cafe

spacer.png

red grits with tomato braised mushrooms and fried shallots at Elysian Bar

spacer.png

toffee apple cake with hazelnuts and cider cream at Elysian Bar

spacer.png

crispy goat with lentils and saffron rice at Herbsaint

spacer.png

banana brown butter tart at Herbsaint

spacer.png

fried gata at Cochon

spacer.png

gumbo at Cochon

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

fried gata at Cochon

spacer.png

gumbo at Cochon

Did Dunbar's not give you any gravy to go over that rice?

12 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I completely forgot that Dunbar’s reopened. How was it? It’s great see places like that finally come back. Gabrielle and Barrow’s too. 

Dunbar's doesn't have the same charm as the old place on Freret, now being in a strip center and in a spot that feels like way too much space - but every time i have been in, the chicken has been just as good and made to order, straight out of the fryer.  

*no gravy on the rice, didn't come with it, didn't ask for it and didn't think to - but i am a fan of white rice, and i mixed it with the greens and eaten with the supper crumbly hot cornbread and side of yams (not pictured), i was very happy 

18 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

fried gata at Cochon

spacer.png

gumbo at Cochon

Holy shit. 

You still upright?

IMG-FCD0054.jpg
IMG-LTB0068.jpg
IMG-RGWEAM0056.jpg
IMG-TAC0058.jpg
IMG-CG0062.jpg
IMG-BBBT0063.jpg
IMG-FA0074.jpg
fried gata at Cochon
IMG-SOG0073.jpg
gumbo at Cochon

Holy shit that looks good, esp the first 3 pics.
That gumbo..... In the past there were times when I thought I pushed the limits with my roux. I wasn’t even close.