New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

When all of this is said and done we will have seen a lot of bizarre things, but I think one of the weirdest things we’ll remember is that Commander’s Palace was on uber eats and did a takeaway jazz brunch. 

https://wgno.com/news/commanders-palace-offering-takeout-for-the-first-time/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, AustinMT said:

Have a trip coming up end of March (and may have to go back end of April, CV permitting).  Have everything lined up, but debating one last slot:  Restaurant R’evolution or La Petite Grocery?

You dead?

On 3/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, We’reTexas said:

When all of this is said and done we will have seen a lot of bizarre things, but I think one of the weirdest things we’ll remember is that Commander’s Palace was on uber eats and did a takeaway jazz brunch. 

https://wgno.com/news/commanders-palace-offering-takeout-for-the-first-time/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

wonder if that included $.25 martinis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Best Italian place in town for the survivors, hopefully? Vincent's is too far. 

Yes, I already know about Irene's in the Quarter. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mosca’s. 

Creole-Italian is the foundation of the New Orleanian concept of the neighborhood restaurant. These are small businesses that I really worry about, not necessarily because they may struggle, but because they may decide it’s a good time for the family to throw in the towel.

Liuzza’s, for, example. On Bienville, mind you - I like by the Track, but Bienville is just a pure distillation of Irish-Italian ‘Yat New Orleans (“The Pope in Avignon!”, as John Goodman remarked in Treme). We were in town for Mardi Gras and had the bulk of Monday to kill before our flight, so we dropped by Liuzza’s shortly before they opened. We were sitting outside when the owner opened the door and asked, in his great Mid-City accent, “Ya hungry? Ya thirsty? Well, c’mon in!” Within minutes we we inundated with red beans, shrimp remoulade, garlic bread, and of course the big frosted mugs of Abita Amber. Professor Longhair, Dr. John and Allen Toussaint were on repeat, because this is the kind of place where they must be on repeat. 

I fear it will be some time before we return, and I fear that New Orleans will be very different. This August will be the 15th anniversary of the federal flood, btw. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, texashorne said:

Going in mid July.. We have been wanting to hit Commanders Palace for a while, but its closed.. any recs? Wife wants reservations as the 25% rule is in effect.

GW Fins has reopened and is taking reservations for dine in Wed-Sun.   That may change and expand if they hit Phase II by July.   I'm sure some of the other places have started to re-open for limited dine in as well, but that's the only one I'm sure of.  Best to hit the google and look around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

On 4/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, Mac8111 said:

Impastatos in Metairie is fantastic for Italian. No tourist. Serious old school place. Mr Joe has some very cool NFL memorabilia in the bar area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choice is Vincent's in Metairie on Chastant St.  Does anyone know if the Bon Ton Cafe is still open?  It's been like forever since we last dined there but it was awesome even though it's not Italian.

8 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

spacer.png

virtually no line at Parkway at noon on Saturday

spacer.png

monday special at dunbar's

spacer.png

eggplant napoleon with fried shrimp and crawfish cream sauce at joey k's

Looks fantastic.  For the people that were there, were they adhering to social distancing/mask measures at all?  All of those places are well outside the Quarter, but did you happen to get anywhere down there?  I'm curious about crowd sizes and social distancing/mask measures, as I'm headed there over July 4th weekend.  

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

For the people that were there, were they adhering to social distancing/mask measures at all?  All of those places are well outside the Quarter, but did you happen to get anywhere down there?  I'm curious about crowd sizes and social distancing/mask measures, as I'm headed there over July 4th weekend.  

re: social distancing: a mixed bag.  in stores (grocery, convenience, hardware), very little to nearly no masks and social distancing other than employees.  we had reservations at La Petite Grocery for Father's Day; they called me Saturday and cancelled and said they had someone test positive and they were closing down for several days - so I cooked at my dad's house that night instead.  now, the restaurants we went to (some pictured above, some not) all had tables spaced well, employees all masked, and enforcing masks to enter and walk through until at table, no standing at the bar to wait for take out (except for superior seafood, which had just opened back up for dinner and was pretty packed out, including bar seating - no pics of the two dozen oysters i had there).  i was looking around for a place not on the itinerary for one night and really, a lot of places (all uptown) were still closed down - and we went by a few other of our favorites over weekend to check them out and they were still closed (high hat, bar frances, upperline).  

did not go into the quarter at all.  unless we are going down to the quarter to go to a specific restaurant and then leave, my GF and I don't spend much time down there  - so I can't report on that.  we stayed on st. charles uptown and the streetcars were pretty empty the whole long weekend we were there - that tells me the tourists aren't really coming back en masse just yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see so many folks that got money that didn't need it, and so many mom and pop restaurants that were desperate for a lifeline that didn't get it.  Sadder still, even if they got a chunk of change ,many of the mom and pops simply will not be able to survive.  

We did get some take out when I went to N.O. 6 weeks ago from (the original) Cajun Cafe.  Think it might have been owned by Asians(?) which is a common seafood theme along the Texas coast, but it surprised my wife I think in New Orleans.  They certainly had some damn fine monster PoBoys for the money. 

My daughter is now officially addicted to frozen French 75's from Superior Seafood.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Greetings from Nawlins!  I apparently have a deathwish, and traveled to New Orleans during a global pandemic.

So, I'm in the Garden District looking to thoroughly enjoy myself from now until Thursday.

Any suggestions?

20200803_170739.jpg

ruby slipper on magazine for breakfast tomorrow.