New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

FYI, if it hasn't been mentioned, they stop selling all alcohol from 11pm-11am.  Weird vibe in NOLA right now.

I checked into my hotel Sunday night and asked what time the bar was opening only to find out that it was closed Sunday through Tuesday. Was supposed to be there all week so I wasn’t worried, of course I ended up leaving last night. Need to upload some photos when I get a chance.

4 hours ago, ERhine said:

I checked into my hotel Sunday night and asked what time the bar was opening only to find out that it was closed Sunday through Tuesday. Was supposed to be there all week so I wasn’t worried, of course I ended up leaving last night. Need to upload some photos when I get a chance.

What hotel?

• 3 weeks later...

My company has me on lockdown from flying (I used to be in Nola 6-7 times per year for “work”). Seriously debating on just road tripping it from San Antonio one week just to get my fix of Nola, pretend to work, and do a serious pit stop at Billy’s to bring shit back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

My wife and I will be fully vaccinated in the next couple of weeks and grandparents ready to keep kids again so booking a trip.  It's about damn time.  Given this thread hasn't been updated in months I'm assuming nobody else has been lately?  From what I'm reading online it appears New Orleans is slowly starting to open back up but still shutting things down at 11PM and there doesn't appear to be much, if any, live music.  Frenchman seems like it's totally dead at the moment.  Will be interesting to see how different the vibe is in late March but I'm ready to get back.   New Orleans in November of 2019 is the last trip we have taken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We're going on March 18th.  Have reservations at Le Petite Grocery, GW Fins, Atchafalaya, Doris Metropolitan and Le Petite Grocery.  I went a little crazy, but this is out first trip since the before times.  We've never been to Doris and Le Petite so I'm really looking forward to those 2.  The only place I couldn't get a reservation for that I wanted was Brennan's for brunch.  They appear to be open, but had no reservations available regardless of time or day, so not sure what is going on there.  We will also get a Po Boy from Parkway and a muffaltetta from Central Grocery at some point.  Not sure what the bar situation is going to be like, but I am guessing we can sit outside at La Fitte's and get to go drinks at other places.

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

My wife and I will be fully vaccinated in the next couple of weeks and grandparents ready to keep kids again so booking a trip.  It's about damn time.  Given this thread hasn't been updated in months I'm assuming nobody else has been lately?  From what I'm reading online it appears New Orleans is slowly starting to open back up but still shutting things down at 11PM and there doesn't appear to be much, if any, live music.  Frenchman seems like it's totally dead at the moment.  Will be interesting to see how different the vibe is in late March but I'm ready to get back.   New Orleans in November of 2019 is the last trip we have taken.

I’ve actually been here for two months (we are remote until the end of the year). The city is certainly subdued but somewhat open. There are actually bands playing all Saturday and Sunday outside Spotted Cat and dba is open to serve drinks, which has been great. Tip’s sometimes has bands outside as well. The 11 pm curfew certainly makes things wind down early but I’ve had a great time so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

We're going on March 18th.  Have reservations at Le Petite Grocery, GW Fins, Atchafalaya, Doris Metropolitan and Le Petite Grocery.  I went a little crazy, but this is out first trip since the before times.  We've never been to Doris and Le Petite so I'm really looking forward to those 2.  The only place I couldn't get a reservation for that I wanted was Brennan's for brunch.  They appear to be open, but had no reservations available regardless of time or day, so not sure what is going on there.  We will also get a Po Boy from Parkway and a muffaltetta from Central Grocery at some point.  Not sure what the bar situation is going to be like, but I am guessing we can sit outside at La Fitte's and get to go drinks at other places.

Bars are now open for limited indoor service, but many have set up outdoor situations (I had no idea that Snake and Jakes, Brothers III and Ms. Mae’s all had back patios). I generally stay away from the Quarter but it’s pretty open (in a bad way - Bourbon gets absolutely packed). 

We usually hang around the fringes of bourbon st and day drink at random hole in the walls around the quarter.  There is a pirate bar right off Jackson square in an alley behind the church that has always had outdoor seating.  It's a good spot to drink a couple of beers in relative quiet.

Edited by kevwun

One thing I forgot to add is always check if you need reservations for any place that basically isn’t a dive bar. It isn’t hard to get into restaurants, but many bars have conditional restaurant permits and those get busy. For example, it’s very hard to pop into Columns, the Chloe, Bacchanal or Barrel Proof for a drink. 

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

Wife and I should be fully vaccinated next week. Already laid the ground work with my sister and bro-in-law about leaving them with the kids so we can have an adult weekend in NOLA sans Kiddos. They seem on board. I think I'll be doing that sometime in April for a long weekend. 

Finally did the tasting menu at Saint Germain. As big natural wine people, we’ve been coming to the bar since they opened, but have never done the dinner.   People in the industry will tell you it’s the best restaurant in NOLA at the moment, and I have to agree - it was an outstanding experience. I never went to Square Root, so can’t compare. I think a few on this thread have asked about it, so I’d like to toss a recommendation out there. 

On a more casual note, Lil’ Dizzy’s reopened a few weeks ago. The owner had shut down due to COVID, but his son and his wife decided to take over. Had lunch today and was as good as I remember - besides Dooky Chase, it’s the anchor of Creole cooking in Treme. Please visit to support them if you are in town. 

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Anyone ever stayed at Nopsi?

Yep, only 4 years old and a great restoration of a historic place. Pre-COVID had a great bar and raw bar. We are staying here for a few months and may stay there for a few weeks - rates are cheap right now. 

• Like 1

I’m really bad at taking pictures, but I feel like I owed the thread something. Veal chop and sazerac at the Clancy’s bar tonight. 

061D12C1-B0D3-4E35-8AE8-7B05F077A209.thumb.jpeg.63ddd7e7fd49665e37cc4a96cc281e12.jpegClancy’s is my favorite restaurant. It’s not necessarily my favorite cooking in NO, but it’s incredible food in an incredible atmosphere. Clancy’s is an Uptown institution, and the front dining room is a great people-watching experience. It’s part of the fabric of New Orleans. I really can’t describe Clancy’s better than Brett Anderson did in his last meal before Katrina. Clancy’s went through an equally hard time during COVID. Clancy’s reopening in July was especially poignant. My wife and I were in town last September and managed a table in the front room, and it was first time we’d felt to normalcy in months. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ocugolf said:

The wood fired oysters with chili garlic oil at Cochon were absolutely unreal the other day. Well the whole meal was great, but I still think about those oysters.

Since I am going to pick up my box of oysters from Quality Seafood in a few hours to do my very first chargrilled oyster cookout today I thought I would give you guy's the Cachon Recipe.  We went to Cachon the last time I was in N.O., and it was pretty darn good.  Reminded me of some Austin creation, it was cool to see them roll in the side of hog in on a granite dolly.  Heading back next week, and hopping on a plane for the first time-

Here is the Recipe.  I had not planned on doing a Cachon version, but might.  Definitely doing, Acme, Drago's and some Rockefeller- I'll post pics later.

Cochon's Grilled Oysters with Garlic-Chile Butter 

Makes 16 oysters

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 anchovy fillets
  • zest of one lemon
  • juice of one lemon (about 2 tbsp)
  • 2 tbsp Vietnamese garlic chile paste
  • 2 tsp crushed red chile flakes
  • ¼ tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp salt