New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

So we ended up stopping at Rabideaux's on the way there.  Had a nice lunch.  Boudin balls were pretty tasty. I even grabbed a corn dog.   Cracklins were terrible though. 

On the way back, we stopped at Billys and loaded up.  Holy crap.  I grabbed a bunch of boudin, Crawfish boudin, green onion sausage as well as numerous Boudin balls for the road.  Their Cracklins were out of this world. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 7:07 PM, BearSchlong said:

Anybody eaten at Upper Line?

FML Irene's is closed July 1-8. I'll be there that week.

Upperline is great and we always circle back to it.  And yes, Shaya is damn good too...pita heaven.

Looking forward to trying Alon Shaya's new one, Saba.  Anyone been?

Edited by hobbs

heading over on Friday. which are better: 

Willie Mae's or Dooky's?

Muffuletta - Central Grocery, Frank's, Napoleon House, Verti Marte? (wasn't impressed with Cochon last year).

grilled oysters - Drago's or Acme?

best bloody mary in the Quarter. I've not really had a bad one. the one's at French Market are pretty good. 

If you had 3 meals in Nola with a 10 and 6 year old what would you pick? I’ll hang up and listen. 

I should add they’re not sophisticated eaters. Usually chicken tenders or burgers off the kids menu. 

Edited by 4th&Five

If you had 3 meals in Nola with a 10 and 6 year old what would you pick? I’ll hang up and listen. 
I should add they’re not sophisticated eaters. Usually chicken tenders or burgers off the kids menu. 

Back in the day, my kids liked Remoulade, the casual outlet of Arnauds. Good stuff for both adults and kids.

Can’t go wrong with Acme or Felix’s.

Parkway bakery for sammiches.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tejas60 said:

Willie Mae's or Dooky's?

Muffuletta - Central Grocery, Frank's, Napoleon House, Verti Marte? (wasn't impressed with Cochon last year).

best bloody mary in the Quarter. I've not really had a bad one. the one's at French Market are pretty good. 

Don’t know 

don’t know

dragos by a fucking country mile

dont know

5 hours ago, tejas60 said:

Willie Mae's or Dooky's?

I like Dooky because you get more than just chicken. 

I’ve never had a bad meal from verti marte so I’d go there, but then I’d skip the muffaletta and go with the “all that jazz” sandwich instead. 

Drago’s.

I’m a fan of Stanley’s Bloody Mary. 

11 hours ago, tejas60 said:

Willie Mae's or Dooky's?

Have not yet made Dooky's.  Try the butter beans if you end up at Willie Mae's

I like Butcher and Stein's for muffalettas. CG & Frank's are a toss up, was not impressed with Napoleon House, haven't had Verti Marte.

Drago's by a nose for oysters?  Acme and Felix are not far behind and a toss up, IMO.

Surprisingly, Pat O's makes a very good bloody.  

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Agree with brisket on Acme/Felix and Parkway.  Felix just recently expanded, which should make their line even shorter.  

Other options are Deanie's, Mahony's (just opened a location in the Quarter), and Dat Dog.  

• Like 1

Would definitely take them to Parkway, though you are going to have to wait during peak times.  May want to hit them up early or mid afternoon when the lunch rush is done.  Your kids will probably not appreciate spending an hour in a hot line.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking dinner at Butcher or Acme and dessert at DuMonde. Breakfast at Camellia because we’re staying close to it. Then a poboy on the way out of town. Either Gus’ or Mahoney’s. Parkway is closed on Tuesday or it would be my choice. 

Edited by 4th&Five

I hit Acme last night - great chargrilled oysters.  Hitting Ruby Slipper for breakfast followed by 18 at English Turn.  Lunch at Turkey and the Wolf  - meeting a friend who lives here and he says it is outstanding.  Anyone been there?  I have my 8yr old son with me, any dinner rec’s?  Ricks is sadly not an option.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:19 PM, tejas60 said:

Willie Mae's or Dooky's?

On Muffuletta.... I ate both Cochon and Central Grocery a couple of weeks ago and I like CG's better by a mile. I wasn't impressed with Cochon's either. Meat was piled too high and I didn't dig the bread. I always order the shrimp remoulade stuffed avocado at Napoleon House. 

Also, I ate at Irene's... first time at the new location and really wasn't blown away with it. 

4 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

I hit Acme last night - great chargrilled oysters.  Hitting Ruby Slipper for breakfast followed by 18 at English Turn.  Lunch at Turkey and the Wolf  - meeting a friend who lives here and he says it is outstanding.  Anyone been there?  I have my 8yr old son with me, any dinner rec’s?  Ricks is sadly not an option.

Turkey and Wolf is great - it’s almost replaced Stein’s as our new go-to sandwich place. 

My wife has to get a Central Grocery muffuletta every time we go to New Orleans.  If you bring them home and heat them up in the oven untill the cheese starts to melt, they are even more amazing.

Edited by kevwun

On 6/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, 4th&Five said:

Dat Dog on Frenchmen Street for one meal.

• Like 1

Heard really good stuff about English Turn, haven't played it yet.
Turkey and the Wolf is good.  Our group split several things and we were all impressed.  Solid drinks, too.

ET is a nice course and it was in good shape when I played it in March 2017.

English Turn was great.  Felt like we were the only ones on the course.  It was in excellent shape, greens rolling fast & true.  1-putted 5 of the first 6 holes which was nice.  The inevitable triple on 18 to shoot 86.  Turkey and the Wolf was solid too - ended up just getting a wedge salad, but definitely the best wedge I’ve had.  The fried bologna sandwich looked pretty tasty from a nearby table.

Still unsure on dinner plans, buddy recommended Sobou so might try that.  New Orleans with a young child in-tow is still fun, but not nearly as much without!

On 6/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, 4th&Five said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking dinner at Butcher or Acme and dessert at DuMonde. Breakfast at Camellia because we’re staying close to it. Then a poboy on the way out of town. Either Gus’ or Mahoney’s. Parkway is closed on Tuesday or it would be my choice. 

I like Gus' a lot bettter than Mahoney's, but with kids Mahoney's might be a safer call

Okay, I’m probably gonna get negged to bolivia, but Drago’s sucks. Went 2 years ago and was not impressed. Got grilled oysters last year at acme and deanie’s snd they were decent. After seeing all the greatness bestowed on Drago’s on this thread i figured i needed to give it another try. That’s some salty as fuck shitty tasting oysters. Give me raw oysters over that crap any day. 

tl;dr - dragos sucks. Neg me to bolivia. 

Okay, I’m probably gonna get negged to bolivia, but Drago’s sucks. Went 2 years ago and was not impressed. Got grilled oysters last year at acme and deanie’s snd they were decent. After seeing all the greatness bestowed on Drago’s on this thread i figured i needed to give it another try. That’s some salty as fuck shitty tasting oysters. Give me raw oysters over that crap any day. 
tl;dr - dragos sucks. Neg me to bolivia. 

They were ok but better since they were free. Oh, they were free since we saw a fucking roach on the wall and the waiter was so embarrassed, we got our 3 dozen grilled oysters comped. Not a CSB

Did Dragos this weekend while visiting family.  It was alright, but kind of felt like Red Lobster to me now.  Just meh.

Hit up the Crabby Shack on the north shore for a poboy which was very good.  They have location on the south shore as well.  Also did Parkway which was very good but it falls into the childhood memory with family thing.

Going to hit up best stop on the way home tomorrow.