New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Where should I eat Monday night? Staying at the ponchartrain. I've eaten at most of the usual suspects. Monday+covid makes it a bit of a thing. 

Check out the liquor store next door. A bunch of way overpriced stuff, but was stocked with Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace single barrel picks when I stayed there twice in the fall.

COCHON!  HaHa!  I've only been there once, and yes... I "corrected" my spelling to that of the spelling in the recipe title.  

I will say that I cannot recommend doing you own oysters at the house.  Assuming you are willing to manage the shucking!  The box I bought for Saturday from Quality Seafood contained right at 100 oysters.  They were harvested on march 2nd, at Quality on the 4th, and in bellies on the 6th.

They were absolutely delicious!  I think the only real changes I would make is starting the party a lot earlier than 4:30, as after sunset when I was managing the fire pit roasted oysters it was hard to see in the dark.  I could have fixed this pretty easy with my headlamp, but would just be easier and probably have a more consistent quality control with better vision.  As with any seafood it is best when BARELY fully cooked. Past that you are taking moisture out of whatever seafood and the quality was best when I could see better.  I also next time will buy a second box, for another $80.   The folks that like oysters, like the raw as much or more than the roasted.  My next effort will be a lot more organized, but damn,  WHY did it take me five years of talking about this to pull the trigger?  Damn that was a mistake.

The best recipe and most visually exciting was the Acme Recipe, just because it was easy to put together a big pot of butter. I did wisely buy a one ounce long handled ladle and some fire proof gloves that made managing the oysters pretty easy.  I am going to put up a longer and more in depth how to on the Crawfish tread, or might even start my own all encompassing oyster thread, to consolidate the contributions of others.

It was hailed by all as one of the more fun things they had done.  Probably the most important part of having fun, is not being the ONLY guy who can shuck!  I am already designing a portable oyster shucking table that I can take with me.  I see some oysters on the beach in my not too distant future!!!  Only real fuck up, was I was so busy shucking, prepping and the consumption was so quick that not a picture was taken by myself or wife!!!

Acme Chargrilled Oyster Recipe the video is just for the 

• 24 oysters, freshly shucked (on the half shell)
  • 4 sticks salted butter
  • 2 bunches green onions, chopped fine
  • 20 cloves fresh garlic, pureed
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper. - we omitted as there was enough heat in the Creole seasoning 
  • 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped fine
  • 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped fine
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
  • 2 oz white wine
  • 8 oz Romano cheese, grated
  • 1 loaf French bread

Edited by horn4life

11 hours ago, castolon said:

Where should I eat Monday night? Staying at the ponchartrain. I've eaten at most of the usual suspects. Monday+covid makes it a bit of a thing. 

Most places here are closed Sun-Wed right now. Depends on what your are looking for, but LPG is open. 

We like the Chateau Lemoyne.  It's nice enough and is close to everything, but also quiet.  It's not on the same level as the Hotel Monteleone or Roosevelt, but we aren't in our room that much anyway when we are there and it's location is tough to beat.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, After irth said:

The Saint is a fun place to be a lush. 

Oh dear god, the saint. I spent a night there trading red wine in a plastic cup for hits of ditch weed from a local. (Obviously referring to the bar and not the hotel here)

Edited by castolon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went with the wife and kids this past weekend just to get outta town. We hit up Justine, Saba, Cho Thai, Gianna, Parkway, District Donuts and took the kids to Cafe Du Monde. Justine may have been the best meal, just by a hair. 

Also, Sazerac Bar does Ramos Gin Fizzes to go in plastic cups now (almost pre made) but are $21 a pop. I remember when they were $9 each a while back

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Went with the wife and kids this past weekend just to get outta town. We hit up Justine, Saba, Cho Thai, Gianna, Parkway, District Donuts and took the kids to Cafe Du Monde. Justine may have been the best meal, just by a hair. 

Also, Sazerac Bar does Ramos Gin Fizzes to go in plastic cups now (almost pre made) but are $21 a pop. I remember when they were $9 each a while back

How was Cho Thai? One of the last new places on my list to try out. 

Also second Justine, grabbed a bite there before Jewel of the South a few weeks ago and it was outstanding - especially the blue crab remoulade blanc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

How was Cho Thai? One of the last new places on my list to try out. 

Also second Justine, grabbed a bite there before Jewel of the South a few weeks ago and it was outstanding - especially the blue crab remoulade blanc. 

Cho Thai was good. Not incredible, but another solid place courtest of BRG’s restaurant group. 

You cant really go wrong with BRG’s or Donald Links spots

On 3/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, kevwun said:

We like the Chateau Lemoyne.  It's nice enough and is close to everything, but also quiet.  It's not on the same level as the Hotel Monteleone or Roosevelt, but we aren't in our room that much anyway when we are there and it's location is tough to beat.

Just checking out the prices.  That seems pretty solid.

Looks like New Orleans just announced moving to a 'modified' Phase 3 on Friday which means additional capacity at restaurants and bars.    I didn't see anything about closing times changing and not sure exactly what that means for live music.  Anyone on the ground there keep us apprised as I'm heading that way on the 19th.

They also opened up their vaccine eligibility categories yesterday. 

Bars can have 25% of indoor capacity
Restaurants are upped to 75%
Live music is allowed indoors now, but everyone must be seated

Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced that New Orleans would ease COVID-19 restrictions on Friday, as vaccination numbers rise in New Orleans while new cases fall. 

The mayor made the announcement at a Wednesday press conference, where she will speak alongside Health Department Director Dr. Jennifer Avegno. 

The restriction rollback pushes the city into a "modified phase 3," similar to the rest of the state.

Restaurants and businesses will be allowed up to 75% occupancy under the new guidelines. Religious services will also be opened up to 75% capacity, as long as mask mandates are followed.

Gatherings of up to 75 people indoors and 150 people outside will also be allowed. 

Live entertainment will be allowed in the city again in businesses following State Fire Marshal requirements. 

Avegno cautioned that the guidelines for live music were nuanced and detailed, and encouraged business owners to read up on them before attempting to book musicians. 

"The numbers are what they are because people have been doing the right thing. we have been putting in the work," Cantrell said. 

For the upcoming St. Patrick's Day weekend, there will be no parades and block parties are prohibited, she added. 

New Orleans saw 27 new cases reported Tuesday, with an infection rate of 0.75. The city uses 50 cases per day as a watermark for whether the virus is being contained, and an infection rate under 1.0 is considered good because it indicates the virus is dying off and not spreading through the population. 

Gov. John Bel Edwards moved Louisiana back into Phase 3 of reopening last week.

Among the changes put in place outside of Orleans Parish, people are now able to sit at a bar to drink without ordering food. Standing at or gathering around a bar will still be banned for now.

Live music is also allowed indoors, but if anyone is singing or playing a wind instrument, capacity will be reduced from 75 percent to 50 percent. Everyone must be seated.

Conferences and conventions can begin again, but only with permission.

Small outdoor events, such as school fairs, are allowed to resume with crowd limitations. Larger festivals or events will need permission from the state.

Local areas can have more restrictions than the state, but they can't have less. The city of New Orleans has often had tighter restrictions than the rest of the state.

WWL-TV will carry Mayor Cantrell's press conference live on WWLTV.com and our social media channels on March 10 at 11 a.m.

Edited by kevwun

Looks like New Orleans just announced moving to a 'modified' Phase 3 on Friday which means additional capacity at restaurants and bars.    I didn't see anything about closing times changing and not sure exactly what that means for live music.  Anyone on the ground there keep us apprised as I'm heading that way on the 19th.

Practically speaking, I don’t think it will make much of a difference. I’ve been here for two months now and tourism is just dead. There’s plenty of trash packing Bourbon, but it’s otherwise easy to get a reservation anywhere. The curfew is the biggest thing, since many bars begin winding down around 10.

As for music, you just have to follow people on Instagram/Twitter since OZ Livewire, etc are still down. The biggest thing in the city is dba hosting bands on the street Fri 4-8 and Sat/Sun 2-8. The Maple Leaf is going to have concerts at Zony Mash Beer Project this Saturday. Keep a lookout to see if Tip’s does another outdoor concert. The Sonesta has been hosting Big Sam on Wednesdays, and I imagine they’ll now have more acts on weekends.

Finally, since Bourbon is getting out of control, note that many of the locals’ bars in the FQ like Erin Rose, Lafitte’s Blacksmith and Absinthe Bar are closing to avoid the crowds.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is that temporary?  Gonna be there next weekend and we always hit up Lafitte's and Erin Rose.

Bars closing? Well, yes - these are just ad hoc decisions made to protect their employees and guests depending on conditions. Off the top of my head, Molly’s is only doing go-drinks, the Carousel Bar is lounge-only, Chart Room is very limited indoors. Bourbon is just a total disaster right now (also, two people managed to get shot on Saturday despite the curfew) so would recommend avoiding the FQ.

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

Bars closing? Well, yes - these are just ad hoc decisions made to protect their employees and guests depending on conditions. Off the top of my head, Molly’s is only doing go-drinks, the Carousel Bar is lounge-only, Chart Room is very limited indoors. Bourbon is just a total disaster right now (also, two people managed to get shot on Saturday despite the curfew) so would recommend avoiding the FQ.

What has changed since November?  I was there and Bourbon seemed like its normal shit show self.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Can't really avoid it.  We are staying there and half the places we have reservations to eat at are in the quarter.

Haha.  Same here.  Although for such a short trip I don't think I'm even mad about the 11PM curfew.  My ass is getting too old and I would inevitably stay up too late Friday night and feel like shit Saturday.

16 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

If Chart Room, Erin Rose and Chuck’s/Little Bar in Gravier are closed I might get back on the plane.

Little Bar still going strong, not exactly in a crowded area. Hopefully the surge was just caused by spring breakers and Bourbon becomes less shit-showy next weekend. 

The Pic had a good article today on live music. Looks like the big venues will reopen in the next month or so. Bullet’s is opening next Tuesday with Kermit, and I definitely recommend that as a spot for music. 

Finally, for day drinking and oysters, check out Side Car. It’s a new spot in the Rusty Nail patio that has been getting a lot of buzz. Checked it out last night and it lives up to the hype. 55D1349F-B251-4389-905B-76CD5D240317.thumb.jpeg.34fd2f5e71dce5e9c01bfdb1ac593918.jpeg09C3218D-F4E4-4C0A-838E-0751436BB6B8.thumb.jpeg.894215f2458b15e928753550abaca8c0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

last minute trip booked for the weekend, Sat to Tues. Staying at Monteleone. 

only for sure spots : lafitte's bar. central grocery and cafe du monde. 

conchon on sunday night ? luke looks good. Domenica reservation for Sat night. need a monday night spot 

also looking for oyster recs. killer seafood recs

I haven't been to new orleans in 12 years i bet. thinking about a museum on Monday, recs ?

Cochon Butcher on the way out of town looks great, how's parking ?

thanks 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Brennan's has great brunch if it's open.  It's probably my favorite breakfast spot in New Orleans.  I couldn't find out for sure if they are open a few weeks ago when I was making reservations.  Settled for Atchafalya instead.  Ruby Slipper is also very solid and they have a few different locations.  It's not fancy, just has good breakfast.

Edited by kevwun

conchon on sunday night ? luke looks good. Domenica reservation for Sat night. need a monday night spot 
I haven't been to new orleans in 12 years i bet. thinking about a museum on Monday, recs ?

thanks 

You trying to follow me?

We have Cochon Saturday night and Fins Sunday night. The rest I’ll play by ear between gambling, boozing and trying to mount Mrs T’Boo more times than she cares for.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

thanks 

Had some amazing oyster at Mr. Ed’s on Iberville last time. No waiting. Fine service. Just a damn good time. 

saturday -  lunch at schooner in port arthur on the way. Domenica dinner

sunday - Basin brunch, then urban south brewery. maybe cochon for dinner ?

monday - central grocery and cafe de mond. maybe dday museum,  maybe superior for HH. no idea about dinner, what sounds good ?

tuesay - mother's biscuits and maybe dinner in beaumont or rancho grande in port arthur 

Edited by tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

saturday -  lunch at schooner in port arthur on the way. Domenica dinner

sunday - Basin brunch, then urban south brewery. maybe cochon for dinner ?

monday - central grocery and cafe de mond. maybe dday museum,  maybe superior for HH. no idea about dinner, what sounds good ?

tuesay - mother's biscuits and maybe dinner in beaumont or rancho grande in port arthur 

If you want to go uptown for brunch, would recommend Atchafalaya or Cavan. But good call on Urban South - it’s my favorite of the Tchoup breweries. They’ll have crawfish in the afternoon too. Can also bounce around the Irish Channel bars like Parasol’s (roast beef po-boy now best in town under new ownership IMO) and Tracy’s. 

Mondays are tough. Link places are open so you could do Peche if you want to stay around the FQ.  If you want casual, Mandina’s and Liuza’s by the track (Mid-City/BSJ) and Franky and Johnny’s (uptown) are very classic NOLA places that are open. 

Finally, Mother’s sucks. If I hadn’t been in NOLA in a decade and wanted one sandwich before leaving town, I’d stop at Parkway for a roast beef or Liuzas by the Track for a fried garlic oyster (my dinner last night, actually). 
7F78F26A-63D8-49F5-AB60-38C733126C48.thumb.jpeg.723b6d1ca23a8fd90742d1f85518a9eb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

If you want to go uptown for brunch, would recommend Atchafalaya or Cavan. But good call on Urban South - it’s my favorite of the Tchoup breweries. They’ll have crawfish in the afternoon too. Can also bounce around the Irish Channel bars like Parasol’s (roast beef po-boy now best in town under new ownership IMO) and Tracy’s. 

Mondays are tough. Link places are open so you could do Peche if you want to stay around the FQ.  If you want casual, Mandina’s and Liuza’s by the track (Mid-City/BSJ) and Franky and Johnny’s (uptown) are very classic NOLA places that are open. 

Finally, Mother’s sucks. If I hadn’t been in NOLA in a decade and wanted one sandwich before leaving town, I’d stop at Parkway for a roast beef or Liuzas by the Track for a fried garlic oyster (my dinner last night, actually). 
7F78F26A-63D8-49F5-AB60-38C733126C48.thumb.jpeg.723b6d1ca23a8fd90742d1f85518a9eb.jpeg

Thank you for mentioning Parkway. My buddy took us there a few years ago and I’ve been trying to remember the name of it ever since. Surf and turf poboy is going to be my lunch next Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1