New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

I think We're Texas said a lot of places are closed on Sundays now.  We are going to Le Petite Grocery next Sunday, but that's on Magazine.  It's a bit of walk, but Drago's is always solid if you haven't had chargrilled oysters yet.  It's next to Harrah's if you want to get in some gambling.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Besides the old-line restaurants, Irene’s and Sylvain, we don’t go to the FQ to eat. See if you can get into Bacchanal for wine and live music. Bywater American Bistro is celebrating its 3rd birthday today so they are having a party. Cafe Degas and Liuzza’s Bienville are both great Sunday spots as well. 

7 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

On our way to Fins after spending the afternoon at Chart Room.

Could get dicey.
Wife is hammered.

I’m drinking a beer at the bar across the street. Only guy with a gruene hall koozie 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 3/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, closetojumping said:

Driving from Houston to NOLA today and staying at The Roosevelt with my wife and 4 kids. Got a suite and an adjacent room and the shit was on sale like there was a pandemic. I think it’s costing us the AMEX points equivalent of like $1200 for 3 nights. 

Looks like a bunch of us have similar-ish ideas and timing. My kids have never seen New Orleans and we like traveling with them, so figured a Spring Break roadie might be fun. 

Taking everyone to some place called Bourbon House that my wife picked out and said it looked kid friendly, for tonight. I’m not in love with that one so if anybody happens to have a better idea given context, I’m all ears. 

Going to Ralph’s in the Park for brunch tomorrow and then doing shit in the park with everyone. Going to Cafe Amelie tomorrow evening, which I’ve also never heard of so I don’t know what in the fuck is going on here. Then we’re taking them on a ghost tour at 8pm. Will show them as much interesting stuff as we can during the day, including the FQ. 

Still haven’t figured out breakfast and/or lunch on Monday but I’ll retrace this thread and think it through. Hitting the WW2 Museum that day as well. Got a sitter and taking the wife to Clancy’s on Monday. Lots of choices, but I love that place and it’s as NOLA as anything. 

Hitting Parkway on the way out of town on Tuesday and taking everybody to one of the swamp parks on the way home. 

I’m vaccinated and we’ve traveled during this thing, but fuck me if I haven’t had to drop or reschedule 4 trips during corona after never dropping a trip in my adult life. Pretty excited to see New Orleans again. We went there the last weekend of Feb last year and it was the last normal trip of our life. Going to Vegas in 3 weeks after having to reschedule because of the damned ice storm. Feels good to getting back to the getting in some form. 

We stayed at the The Saint for a long summer weekend a few years back. There was apparently a big swingers convention in town and many were staying at that hotel for it. Foam parties and other shit in the hotel. While the concept of a swingers convention might sound fun to some, let me warn you, this was 1000s of ugly, fat, drunk, high people without any inhibitions. It was mildly disturbing, but also some sadly great people watching. 

My sister in law just got back from Vegas and it’s sounds like it sucks.  No one is there, you have to wear your mask between bites at the restaurant. They went to the Promenade, no one there, not much open and still told to wear their masks outdoors.  She also said if they don’t like your mask they’ll make you wear one of theirs. 

Clancy’s is my favorite restaurant in New Orleans, but Gabrielle has done some of my favorite cooking for some time. I’ve meant to post about it, but I highly recommend it for any kind of visitor to town.

Over the past decade New Orleans has become a hotspot of talent, and the city has broken the “thousand restaurants, one menu” image with dozens of places like Shaya, Turkey & Wolf, Carrollton Market (RIP), Compere Lapin, kin, Saint Germain, etc. But no one has tried to take on the mantle of New Orleans cooking. This is a problem, because JoAnne Clevenger, Frank Brigsten and Susan Spicer will only be around for so long. Fortunately, three years ago Greg and Mary Sonnier reopened Gabrielle, which closed after it flooded during Katrina.

It’s a bit of a Rip van Winkle story of a chef from a different era of New Orleans cooking reawakening. This is a restaurant that always has a gumbo on the menu, because back then a chef was measured by their gumbo. While the Sonniers aren’t young, their enthusiasm in being back in the game brings a vitality to traditional New Orleans cuisine that makes it exciting. It’s traditional New Orleans creole, but done at a high level and with creativity you won’t find at Galatoires or Antoines. And it’s a fantastic story - Gabrielle is their daughter, now all grown up and you’ll find her working the floor. I was too young to experience the first iteration, but this has been a staple for every trip since they reopened.

I don’t have any pics because the food isn’t particularly ‘grammable, but in a good way. It precedes the era of tweezers and plating. Below is this crawfish bisque from a few weeks back, which was outstanding. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

My sister in law just got back from Vegas and it’s sounds like it sucks.  No one is there, you have to wear your mask between bites at the restaurant. They went to the Promenade, no one there, not much open and still told to wear their masks outdoors.  She also said if they don’t like your mask they’ll make you wear one of theirs. 

Between bites? Good lord. I’ve been in California for like a week, two different times during all of this, and I didn’t even see them going there. Fuck. 

We did Ralph’s on the Park yesterday for brunch and it’s always good, but it’s a Brennan’s entity so I expect it. They have an app there called the chili egg - which is an egg poached in their homemade chili. You crush the egg and sop it up with their biscuits. That was fucking terrific. Did a bunch of kids stuff and people watching at the city park.  Cafe du Monde had live music playing outside it, as someone predicted. 

The ghost tours all apparently end at LaLaurie Mansion. Hadn’t thought about that being the big highlight. My wife and I stayed there for a long mardi gras weekend a few years ago. A business partner owns it and he lent it to us. We saw no ghosts, but the place is extremely well done inside and a cool story to tell. Disturbing history for the place though. Apparently it was featured in some form during American Horror Story season 3. My kids stayed interested the whole way through the tour, so I guess I give it decent marks for that. I can’t say I was blown away but I’ll at least know who the ghost is if I run into one at midnight near Jackson Square. 

17 hours ago, Cajun said:

If you're out after 4am, don't forget to hit The Alibi on Iberville.

Good burger (Alibi Burger), but the service industry scenery?  

Whoa NELLIE!!!  (damned good JukeBox too)

They massively pared down their menu due to covid.  They are always my first stop (around the corner from where I stay) and their fried shrimp poboy is fantastic, but they don't have it right now.  Made me very sad when I came down in November.

9 hours ago, castolon said:

I think there might be much to criticize at bulldog maybe but that's my old reliable. I spent many moons wandering down magazine and bulldog never let me down. I love that place. 

Good beer selection.

For us, the old hangouts were Ms. Mae's, the Balcony Bar, Butler's, Snake and Jakes, and then the bars on Maple (I lived at Hampson and Fern, so the Maple bars were a nice short walk for me).  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Between bites? Good lord. I’ve been in California for like a week, two different times during all of this, and I didn’t even see them going there. Fuck. 

We did Ralph’s on the Park yesterday for brunch and it’s always good, but it’s a Brennan’s entity so I expect it. They have an app there called the chili egg - which is an egg poached in their homemade chili. You crush the egg and sop it up with their biscuits. That was fucking terrific. Did a bunch of kids stuff and people watching at the city park.  Cafe du Monde had live music playing outside it, as someone predicted. 

The ghost tours all apparently end at LaLaurie Mansion. Hadn’t thought about that being the big highlight. My wife and I stayed there for a long mardi gras weekend a few years ago. A business partner owns it and he lent it to us. We saw no ghosts, but the place is extremely well done inside and a cool story to tell. Disturbing history for the place though. Apparently it was featured in some form during American Horror Story season 3. My kids stayed interested the whole way through the tour, so I guess I give it decent marks for that. I can’t say I was blown away but I’ll at least know who the ghost is if I run into one at midnight near Jackson Square. 

Is that the one where they torture fucked their slaves or something? I was drunk by the end of our ghost tour but that seems familiar.  We’ve been on a couple of ghost tours through there.  Never saw a ghost either, but my daughter swears we saw or photographed something, I think it’s a false memory from some app they were using on their phones.  Seen plenty of piss-soaked, passed out drunks and cockroaches though. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:50 PM, We’reTexas said:

I forgot about thread for a long time and have a few years of pictures saved up. Wednesday was the anniversary of NOLA’s first COVID case, and we were lucky enough to have been in town for Mardi Gras and New Years. What a different world. 

Mardi Gras - parades, Tip’s and one last pre-COVID night in the front room of Clancy’s. 4EDA59FA-D858-470D-B3DC-2857EF679D88.thumb.jpeg.e4c39408bb8220d6ac5c598f5a461464.jpeg2283B849-2820-47D9-9625-5BB06D656AE4.thumb.jpeg.d7a20027787ec0c48eeaaaa6a11663e7.jpeg8D41C4C8-D8E7-4A77-B147-A6D11E0DDEF2.thumb.jpeg.473276983587d1af0c1d91e4eb4bf3e3.jpeg6815F88E-1433-4FEE-B465-5F0CE5C62944.thumb.jpeg.b7ba14befeee62ef0b375548e92d994d.jpegLady and Gentleman Rollers, right before New Years. 21E1EBCA-92F0-43EE-A75B-BF1505EDD580.thumb.jpeg.cb84bb8c6aa6f6e1c1c4ca4a8a1d4c86.jpeg9D4F8AB4-7C16-4174-81B3-FCF9521EF98A.thumb.jpeg.7ef6da07129711105ebddf7bb4c8fdb4.jpeg2145F7EC-EB5E-47EA-AC38-31361F54A7BB.thumb.jpeg.ce867b7b5ad54346318b2eb2042779b8.jpeg6956F3D3-0AFF-4FC4-8B03-04F5E786E1B4.thumb.jpeg.433cb6a5f66183d53c7b7b8ab2c559dd.jpegCD0AD652-D3FB-4A3D-8B52-60239F607D2E.thumb.jpeg.08bf142d8aed522fcc6e72b513ec3049.jpeg

E43D5FB9-5A18-4C9F-A4D3-02CEC2DC984F.jpeg

CE06A4B5-5184-455D-A9F1-26D1D5228C50.jpegPrince of Wales

0DD76D10-6AA6-4082-8903-4A3A401935F1.jpeg

90446D34-38C0-4BFA-989F-FE77EEBE7A5C.jpeg

62AEAAB5-28FA-4F62-9E76-7454CA9E249A.jpeg

A3276D06-9C5E-442B-A15F-A3D5705D532D.jpeg

7375EB1A-5C2F-4239-9EBB-5C83E3109DDC.jpeg

D2DC1BCF-6B44-4EE3-8A7D-1D571E26A0E4.jpeg

goddamn i love new orleans.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Good beer selection.

For us, the old hangouts were Ms. Mae's, the Balcony Bar, Butler's, Snake and Jakes, and then the bars on Maple (I lived at Hampson and Fern, so the Maple bars were a nice short walk for me).  

But, off duty strippers and blow brah.

First thing we did after checking in was go to Erin Rose.
8beac27be9ee9b28602b1195257d41c7.jpg

GW Fins
4f35cd52a165bcb9db59dd04a8bcb874.jpg
Tempura wings, my favorite app at fins

09f7a4f7385bbbfb2664f8a594a2e879.jpg
Halibut cheeks, hadn’t had this app before. Liked it a lot. The sauce was corn purée, okra and field peas.

afe3ca5b134321a3d1b49147b3145598.jpg
Scalibut, excellent like always.

Atchafalaya
5c837a7a772b3450cf0e8998aee07e87.jpg
Duck hash, it was good but was under seasoned

8b257ce6c205986379b107a8297a71f4.jpg
Crab cakes eggs Benedict

Doris Metropolitan
931c2dcfd2cff9682bb9537229c8353f.jpg
Gratuitous meat shot

b68e9418ef913cfbc412b4488d1503ac.jpg
Bone in rib-eye, it melted like butter. I ate the whole thing. No ragrets.

Le Petite Grocery
e700baf3c6e8f1fb68601e5280f900eb.jpg
Crab beignets, these were the best version I’ve had. They were perfect.

60a745f8bfb6503a82f7501d429f112a.jpg
Fried Brussels sprouts with pimento cheese. The secret ingredient was crack. Words don’t do them justice.

f05c5a2290eda99e1da33199c8d10c36.jpg
Turtle bolognese, it always amazes me how similar in taste turtle is to beef.

a6f97b7ebb24aaf59b2bfc6834da100b.jpg
LPG burger. Lives up to the hype. The fries are also great.

28a263162542fe89fe0c131f905b3d67.jpg
We shared chocolate cake with pomegranate and washed it down with an excellent port. Simple and excellent dessert. This was one of the best meals of my life. Every course was fantastic.

Not pictured are brunch at Stanley and a Parkway shrimp poboy. Both were delicious. Great trip overall and it was so nice to travel again.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

We did Cochon Butcher (Muffaleta); Sidecar for a drink and craw daddys (just ok, not enough spice IMO) then R'evolution on Friday followed by Rebirth Jazz at Howlin Wolf (opening night), Atchafalaya/Bulldog/Joey K's Breakfast/booze/lunch combo, Frenchman St. day drinking (Jazz band playing in street and 1 bar had a live band going, their first show in a year); Restaurant Rebirth Dinner (I need to go back more sober + ran out of pork chop which I really wanted to try) then Felix's Sunday right before trip home. 

All in a great damn time and good welcome back to post-Covid world.  From people we talked to it really did seem like it was the "Covid Reopening" weekend.  Definitely not peak crowds but it didn't seem dead by any stretch.  Heard from a couple of drivers that apparently Fri evening was a shitshow at the airport with not enough cabs/drivers to pick people up.  So the crowd definitely picked up quicker than many anticipated.  I had some long waits for drives and my driver to the airport said he wasn't planning on working much that weekend but kept it up because he made a killing due to unexpected demand.  Other than lots of masks, some places making you sign in for "contact tracing" (which seemed pointless) and closing down early (which was a good thing consider the day drinking) it seemed the same and I definitely didn't feel like we missed out.   Tipped heavily in appreciation for service workers/performers likely working prior to vax.  Everyone seemed to respect social distancing as much as possible.   Damn good time other than the Shaka disaster which I caught most of 2nd half (and after 12+ hours drinking at that point slept like a baby regardless)

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

All in a great damn time and good welcome back to post-Covid world.  From people we talked to it really did seem like it was the "Covid Reopening" weekend.  Definitely not peak crowds but it didn't seem dead by any stretch.  Heard from a couple of drivers that apparently Fri evening was a shitshow at the airport with not enough cabs/drivers to pick people up.  So the crowd definitely picked up quicker than many anticipated.  I had some long waits for drives and my driver to the airport said he wasn't planning on working much that weekend but kept it up because he made a killing due to unexpected demand.  

This is real, I had hell catching an uber/lyft from the cbd, but I mostly walked everywhere so it wasn't too big of a deal. 

Friday at the airport was definitely a clusterfuck.  It took us 30 minutes to get a lyft and it cost $60.  I scheduled another lyft the next morning that didn't show up, so I switched to Uber and didn't have an issue again the rest of the trip other than wait times that were 5 or 6 minutes longer than they were pre-covid.  We lucked out this morning in that someone had reserved a ride to the airport and got wasted and slept late.  The driver was tired of waiting around and asked if we wanted a ride to the airport.  I venmoed him $40 and we got to airport with no issues.

Edited by kevwun

Where's this?
6815F88E-1433-4FEE-B465-5F0CE5C62944.jpeg.400f76cae65382638ee9387c9a1eedba.jpeg

Front room of Clancy’s. Like downstairs at Galatoire’s, it’s a see-and-be-seen spot for the Uptown crowd that makes for great people watching. If we can’t snag a table, we’ll sit at the bar. Had to fly home last week, so did just that.

Veal with crabmeat and Béarnaise.
7dd72799d2327083f379467003bd51fe.jpg

Last meal in NO: Corned beef po boy at Liuzza’s by the Track.

1aef79b3899b7f4c912cc2a5e1443656.jpg

Last beer in NO: Canebrake at Liuzza’s.
0ae5b02ae06e30b5b147fecbd842f5cc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Front room of Clancy’s. Like downstairs at Galatoire’s, it’s a see-and-be-seen spot for the Uptown crowd that makes for great people watching. If we can’t snag a table, we’ll sit at the bar. Had to fly home last week, so did just that.

Veal with crabmeat and Béarnaise.
7dd72799d2327083f379467003bd51fe.jpg

Last meal in NO: Corned beef po boy at Liuzza’s by the Track.

1aef79b3899b7f4c912cc2a5e1443656.jpg

Last beer in NO: Canebrake at Liuzza’s.
0ae5b02ae06e30b5b147fecbd842f5cc.jpg

Liuzza’s is a great place to watch a game.