New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

About to head back in a few hours from N.O. and should have taken more pics for sure, but basically the town is back in action.  Flight was full from our connection in Houston, I am sure the non-stop will be packed on the way home as well.  Ate a couple meals at Superior Seafood, piggy backing on the oyster happy hour.  Enjoyed my our meal at the Palace Cafe as well, with most of us opting for either flights of margarita or rum. With 6 of us we ordered most of the dinner menu and all the meals were great.  I need to remember they have an early happy hour next go round, and I liked the look of their bar. Cochon Butcher for Lunch yesterday and massive PoBoys from Cajun Seafood at the house last night.  Apparently Cajun Seafood thinks 24 inches is 18 inches, so massive is the best description.  About the only visual evidence I have is this video of the table side bananas foster at Palace cafe that was fun, visual and delicious. .  And a special shout out to Maggie at Superior and Nigel at Palace cafe as our favorite waitress and waiter of the long weekend. 

And always remember when some urchin want to bet you $20 that he can tell you where you got your shoes at... "On your feet in New Orleans!" is always the answer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, horn4life said:

And always remember when some urchin want to bet you $20 that he can tell you where you got your shoes at... "On your feet in New Orleans!" is always the answer.  

Ya got 'em on ya' feet, and ya got 'em on Bourbon Street! (I freely admit to being taken by this one when I was young, and paying the man his $10).

Booked weekend of May 14-16. First city trip post COVID. Girlfriend’s graduation for her master’s degree was supposed to be 5/16/20, so a bit of sentimental value/symbolism. Haven’t really put on COVID weight but I’m damn sure going to try to make up for that.

NOLW trip

last Sunday was chargrilled oysters at Acme Felix‘s and Royal Street. Pictured above

Sunday night drove to Biloxi and eat at the half shell oyster house, more oysters. Then go on a boat and fished the Chandeleur  islands for two days

Back in New Orleans on Wednesday afternoon for more Acme and then GW fins for dinner with the boys.

Wives flew in to join. Atchafalaya for brunch was great

Seaworthy for dinner  raw oysters and lobster roll. Outstanding  

Brennans for brunch. Great food, great service. GW Fins for dinner again. Royal red shrimp off menu, fin wings, seared rare wahoo, scalibut got the wife.

F0737625-2A40-41FC-B4FC-4F3BD82D5FF1.jpeg

70F40C5D-5D0A-46BD-8D2F-A4D24979A825.jpeg

5BB0DD7A-FDAE-40F9-B997-F8D2D46E9BF0.jpeg

74E16D05-CDA6-4E76-98A9-F9DC8E929B50.jpeg

962F24CC-67D6-4058-A073-8D31754EB941.jpeg

315D31DB-3AE8-4D57-823A-0AF05FA81F62.jpeg

D2FB4A44-99B8-4B9C-A6B9-23D5B0B595F1.jpeg

002F6D1B-74B0-4959-8C3D-8CFADC11B35D.jpeg

6FE5C7D0-6019-41A0-AFE6-D5E5A9EBADC2.jpeg

96DA818A-F494-4DF3-8384-D7811FC2333C.jpeg

4C74B778-3035-4CC5-AC44-DE75B5E9CA3F.jpeg

F6D6F417-1A5B-4F77-BD58-27C5A7AD15C0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Any lodging recommendations for outside of the Quarter?  St. Charles, Magazine, etc.

Looking at heading over there for a long weekend in a couple weeks.  Our first trip since Katrina, so its been a while.  

We've had great success with AirBnB in that area. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Any lodging recommendations for outside of the Quarter?  St. Charles, Magazine, etc.

Looking at heading over there for a long weekend in a couple weeks.  Our first trip since Katrina, so its been a while.  

Pontchartrain, Columns, the Chloe on St.  Charles. Not really up to speed on BnB’s off Mag, but my in laws stayed at Maison Perrier recently and really liked it. 

On 4/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Callo said:

The hotels I've stayed at outside the quarter and would recommend for consideration are Loews and Hotel Indigo. Loews is usually great bang for the buck. If you're shelling out, consider the Ritz Carlton. If you have an amex card with offers for Fine Hotels & Resorts, don't forget to see what's on offer.

Ended up booking an apartment in the Quarter during the first week in May.  Hoping to find some live music here and there, wandering wandering around Magazine Street, and chilling out.  Here are the plans for eating:

Breakfast:  Atchafalaya, possibly Willa Jean, and some beinets.

Lunch:  Cochon and Central Grocery (might skip Cochon for some dive food - fried chicken, po'boys, etc*)

Dinner:  GW Fins and Commander's Palace

Will grab some oysters the day we arrive and stop for boudin balls and sausages on the way home. 

* for me, one of the beauties of NO is the ability to get fantastic food at all levels from really high end to very basic.  I can be just as satisfied with a bowl of gumbo or red beans and rice as I can with fine dining.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This. We went last time we were there for the sugar bowl, first reservation we made this time around. Love that place.

Same.  Had brunch there on New Year's Eve the day before we beat Georgia.  Going back there this Fourth of July weekend.

We've done Atchafalya brunch 4 times now I think.   Everything we've tried has been awesome except the Steak and Eggs our last trip.  Piece of meat was just too tough.  So I would avoid that one.  But otherwise have never been disappointed.

Grabbed some soul food from Lil' Dizzy's in Tremé. White beans and rice with sausage, fried chicken, greens, and bread pudding. This was the dive food I was hoping for. May grab a po'boy from Quarter Grocery later. Off to wander around the Garden District.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Willa Jean was good, but don't recall it being so good that I want to go back my next trip like to do for Atchafalaya.  I do remember quite the milf collection there for New Year's Day brunch, which is nice.

I was there with the wife (maybe you already have pics...maybe I have pics of yours) that day!  

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Grabbed some soul food from Lil' Dizzy's in Tremé. White beans and rice with sausage, fried chicken, greens, and bread pudding. This was the dive food I was hoping for. May grab a po'boy from Quarter Grocery later. Off to wander around the Garden District.

Some of my favorite fried chicken in town. I’m so happy this Treme institution reopened (but don’t let appearances fool you - there’s the former head chef of Upperline in the kitchen). 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Willa Jean was good, but don't recall it being so good that I want to go back my next trip like to do for Atchafalaya.  I do remember quite the milf collection there for New Year's Day brunch, which is nice.

We had the same opinion of it.  It's just not that great and I remember being disappointed in their biscuits.

back from our New Orleans trip.  Thanks to everyone here for great food recommendations!  Here's a quick breakdown:

Arrived in NO on Sunday afternoon and went to grab some oysters after checking into our apartment.  Started at Felix's.  Staffing was clearly an issue with the oyster shucker complaining about bussing tables and piles of dirty dishes stacked up behind the swinging door.  No oyster Rockefeller.  Had oyster Bienville and chargrilled.  Oysters were fine, but the overall experience was not.  Next onto Acme.  Wait was about 20 minutes and they were not serving chargrilled.  Half shell oysters, hushpuppies and a fried peace maker po-boy (oysters and shrimp) were really good.  Acme over Felix's.

Brunch at Atchafalya was outstanding.

Dinner at GW Fins was outstanding.

Breakfast at Willa Jean was underwhelming.  I really wanted to like the biscuits, but didn't.  Way too many good places to eat in NO to recommend this place.

Li'l Dizzy was great.  We stopped and grabbed fried chicken, dirty rice, and gumbo on the way home. Only place we ate twice.  

Commander's Palace is a must - at least once.  Everything was done very well and it's such a cool place.  We have several other places to try in NO before going back to CP.  

After grabbing food from Li'l Dizzy's, we grabbed a catfish po-boy and boudin balls from Zimmer's Seafood.  Its way out of the, but we were in the car heading home.  Highly recommended by folks from Li'l Dizzy's.  Menu included all manner of po-boys, fish, creole food, boiled crawfish, etc.   ETA:  takeout only, not a sit down eating establishment.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My culinary schedule for the Fourth of July weekend is slowly taking shape.

Friday dinner at Compere Lapin.

Saturday brunch at Atchafalaya.

Saturday dinner at La Petite Grocery.

Considering GW Fins for Sunday dinner and finding a greasy spoon for Sunday breakfast/lunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

back from our New Orleans trip.  Thanks to everyone here for great food recommendations!  Here's a quick breakdown:
Arrived in NO on Sunday afternoon and went to grab some oysters after checking into our apartment.  Started at Felix's.  Staffing was clearly an issue with the oyster shucker complaining about bussing tables and piles of dirty dishes stacked up behind the swinging door.  No oyster Rockefeller.  Had oyster Bienville and chargrilled.  Oysters were fine, but the overall experience was not.  Next onto Acme.  Wait was about 20 minutes and they were not serving chargrilled.  Half shell oysters, hushpuppies and a fried peace maker po-boy (oysters and shrimp) were really good.  Acme over Felix's.
Brunch at Atchafalya was outstanding.
Dinner at GW Fins was outstanding.
Breakfast at Willa Jean was underwhelming.  I really wanted to like the biscuits, but didn't.  Way too many good places to eat in NO to recommend this place.
Li'l Dizzy was great.  We stopped and grabbed fried chicken, dirty rice, and gumbo on the way home. Only place we ate twice.  
Commander's Palace is a must - at least once.  Everything was done very well and it's such a cool place.  We have several other places to try in NO before going back to CP.  
After grabbing food from Li'l Dizzy's, we grabbed a catfish po-boy and boudin balls from Zimmer's Seafood.  Its way out of the, but we were in the car heading home.  Highly recommended by folks from Li'l Dizzy's.  Menu included all manner of po-boys, fish, creole food, boiled crawfish, etc.   ETA:  takeout only, not a sit down eating establishment.

Y’all know the issue about staffing, right? Waiters and many people are make more on unemployment now. And maybe no end in sight.

14 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Y’all know the issue about staffing, right? Waiters and many people are make more on unemployment now. And maybe no end in sight.

This is not true and most industry workers are employed. I know many people in the industry and they are tired of being paid shit wages. Most workers have found other work or better paying jobs at a different bar/restaurant. 

This is not true and most industry workers are employed. I know many people in the industry and they are tired of being paid shit wages. Most workers have found other work or better paying jobs at a different bar/restaurant. 

That’s not what my restaurant owner friends are saying. Get ready for very high prices at restaurants.

I don’t believe what the restaurant owners say, but yes prices are about to go up. Unemployment is fairly low in Texas. Anyway, I'm not here to discuss how a lot of restaurant workers screw over their employees. 

I just spent a long weekend in Boston and enjoyed the east coast oysters. I will be in NOLA the first weekend of June. Is that too late to eat raw gulf oysters, or should I stick with the char grilled oysters?

32 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

We'll be there in 5 weeks.  Making up for not being able to go recently by staying 7 nights, T&Ps to my liver and my lipid panel.

Reservations so far: Toups, Peche, Gris Gris, Muriel's, Atchafalaya, Cochon.  Seaworthy, Piece of Meat, Brigtsen's likely.  

Hit up Gris Gris recently - was great. Should definitely fit Brigsten’s in (or Gabriel). 

Heading to New Orleans tonight and have a reservation at Rib Room. Have a hankering for some prime rib. I’m curious if it’s gotten any better than it was 2 years ago (last time I went there). It wasn’t bad two years ago, but wasn’t as good as I usually have.  Five years ago, it was the best prime rib in the city.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Heading to New Orleans tonight and have a reservation at Rib Room. Have a hankering for some prime rib. I’m curious if it’s gotten any better than it was 2 years ago (last time I went there). It wasn’t bad two years ago, but wasn’t as good as I usually have.  Five years ago, it was the best prime rib in the city.

Update: disappointed. Won’t be back. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, texashorne said:

Bump.. I will be there next week.. Do most restaurants require a reservation? 

We're going soon as well........don't know about "most" but we've got reservations at Peche', Cochon, Toup's, Gris Gris and Bywater. 

Edited by Big Jake

Gallier's  (little hole in the wall) off Canal for lunch last Sunday.  Acme was a forever wait (post-Covid holiday weekend, go figure), so we just walked until we found something.  That's usually a recipe for disaster, but it was really good.  Food/drinks/service all of it.  Forgot pics of the oysters (chargrilled 3 ways + raw, all good), sorry.

20210530-153953.jpg

Edited by threesheets