New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

21 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Had 24 hours in New Orleans last week. Goat curry at Compere Lapin was a game changer. Great bar scene as well. They know how to mix a mean cocktail. 

I think Nina Compton has really come into her own in the past two years as the next great New Orleanian chef. I think CL and BAB are more exciting than when they opened and hit one of them each trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I would think that’s almost a daily occurrence at Mr. B’s.  I’ve been plenty of times where the bar area is very rowdy and they are waiting for tables.  Many drunks stumbling around tables,  I always figured they are pretty lax.  

It's not daily, but it happens.

My point was that the whole "he was dressed in a tank top and shorts" (or whatever it was) thing is pretty much a non-event in NOLA.

If anyone is visiting soon, I’m really curious about Mr. Mao’s, which just opened in the old Dick & Jenny’s place (where I had an awful meal several days before it closed after Mardi Gras 2020). It’s gotten tons of press so far and all the cool kids in the NOLA food scene seem to be raving about it. Heading back for a week during Jazz Fest and this, Miss River and Seafood Sally are at the top of my list. 

9 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We are going to stop on the way back from Gulf Shores. Is there anything suggested for kids while I drink copious amounts of booze and down oysters?
Pretty sure I can’t drag them to the Erin Rose or Little Bar on Gravier

Sidecar, Peche, Casamento’s (best in town but prob closed for August), Station 6, Clesi’s. All the spots by the lake (R&O, etc) and Mid-City (Mandina’s, Liuzza’s) etc are pretty family friendly. 

• Like 1

So I went to New Orleans over the weekend for my last single friend's bachelor party. These were my experiences/takeaways:

First, I'll say that NOLA has always been one of my favorites places, and loved it when I was 22, 25, 26, and 29. Each of those times I either stayed on Canal or Bourbon, but now, it's painfully obvious to me that I have outgrown setting up base camp on Bourbon. I know I'm getting older, but it also seems a little trashier than it was 10-15 years ago. The shooting early Sunday morning only cemented my opinions. So, I look forward to returning, but staying elsewhere.

As far as restaurants/bars/entertainment went, I didn't have much say in the matter for this trip, but of the places I went:

Johnny's Po-Boys - been a favorite of mine for years. I thought this visit was only okay, but I also went near closing time so that might have affected the quality of the bread.
Antoine's - good, but not great. The pompano was solid, as were their chargrilled oysters, but oysters rockefeller, which they claimed to have invented, were very mediocre-to-bad.
Erin Rose - frozen Irish coffees were fucking excellent. Really hit the spot on the hot and humid mornings.
Parkway Bakery & Tavern - in the Mid-City area. Excellent. One of the best po-boys I've ever had. Outside the Quarter, but would absolutely have again.
Jacque Imo's - in Uptown. Solid, although, like Johnny's, don't feel like I got their best. They told me they were having to shut down for a couple weeks soon, so maybe they were low on stuff/effort. My panned rabbit wasn't particularly noteworthy this time around.
Felix's - very good chargrilled oysters, probably better than Antoine's and certainly more affordable.
Harrah's - fucked me hard. $25 minimums, but I actually had better luck at the $50 tables with fewer riff-raff.

Looking forward to my next trip when I can hit up GW Fins, Commander's Palace, and more of the places y'all have recommended... but hopefully staying in the Garden District from now on.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Yes. The mayor made the announcement Friday evening, and by Saturday, everyone was requiring one to be worn indoors, sometimes even while I had a drink in my hand. 

Tipitina’s, d.b.a. and Maple Leaf announced they’d be required vaccination proof and I’m seeing quite a few other places follow suit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Tipitina’s, d.b.a. and Maple Leaf announced they’d be required vaccination proof and I’m seeing quite a few other places follow suit. 

Good. Planning to go to Jazzfest in Oct, was wondering what the response was there. 

13 minutes ago, hornian said:

Good. Planning to go to Jazzfest in Oct, was wondering what the response was there. 

I’ll be there for the full week - no update from the organizers yet on delta implications, but would definitely like a vax requirement. I’m not too worried about Jazz Fest just yet, but the city may need to delay the beginning of the second line season, which begins Labor Day. Just really want to see Galactic at Tip’s almost 18 months after they were supposed to play last. 

Fucking hell. Anyone else ride in Mardi Gras? Getting a sinking feeling that will be cancelled as well. 

wonder how many years jazz fest can miss before the promoters can’t afford go out it on again. Hopefully they got the pandemic coverage on their insurance this time. 

2 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Fucking hell. Anyone else ride in Mardi Gras? Getting a sinking feeling that will be cancelled as well. 

wonder how many years jazz fest can miss before the promoters can’t afford go out it on again. Hopefully they got the pandemic coverage on their insurance this time. 

Yep, riding in Tucks and have a house for the entire Carnival season. At this rate that’s not looking great either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Effective Monday August 16, 2021 the City of New Orleans will require proof of vaccination or a current negative Covid test for ALL bars, restaurants and breweries.

Someone I know from high school on Facebook that goes to NO a lot  posted the news and tagged couple friends saying “I’m glad we didn’t get the Saints season tickets😡”.   I’m commented “Awesome!  Less crowded bars and restaurants when I go next month!”  I don’t think they were entertained by me.  Lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Someone I know from high school on Facebook that goes to NO a lot  posted the news and tagged couple friends saying “I’m glad we didn’t get the Saints season tickets😡”.   I’m commented “Awesome!  Less crowded bars and restaurants when I go next month!”  I don’t think they were entertained by me.  Lol. 

fuck em?

• Hook 'Em 2

I looked out of curiosity during Texas open date in October (10/22-24) and Monteleone was booked solid.  WTF is going on then?  I'm guessing with these restrictions there will be lots of cancellations so keeping it on my radar.  Sure, a pain in the ass to show your vax card everywhere but might be nice without the crowds and in particular without the anti-vax crowd.

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I looked out of curiosity during Texas open date in October (10/22-24) and Monteleone was booked solid.  WTF is going on then?  I'm guessing with these restrictions there will be lots of cancellations so keeping it on my radar.  Sure, a pain in the ass to show your vax card everywhere but might be nice without the crowds and in particular without the anti-vax crowd.

That could be Krewe of Boo weekend.  It's usually right before Halloween.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Driving to NOLA with wife, brother, and brother's GF from Wed, 9/1 thru Sun, 9/4. Wife is a picky eater (no seafood) and brother's GF is new to NOLA, so including some toury stuff:

WED
Stop at Darrell's in Lake Charles on the way
Staying at Harrah's, two nights free, no resort fees, yay
Dinner at Butcher, Felix, or Acme
Booze

THU
Breakfast at Ruby Slipper
9a sightseeing bus tour - tours all of the neighborhoods, which I've never done
Lunch either Johnny's PoBoys or chargrilled at Drago's, maybe some iced Irish coffee and poboys at Erin Rose
Museum of Death (we all love the morbid and macabre)
Dinner res at GW Fin's, they have a $45 3 course special for COOLinary. Wife will have limited options, but they exist, and she's very excite for the salty malty caramel pie
Killers and Thrillers tour
Booze

FRI
Breakfast at Stanley
11 am tour of Sazerac House - this is free and comes with booze samples
Saints and Sinners tour
Drunken History of NOLA tour
Dinner at Butcher, Acme, or Felix whichever we haven't hit yet
Booze

SAT
Breakfast at Willa Jean
Head to Tulane and watch OU-Tulane
Sat afternoon/evening open plans that will be involving lots of food, booze, and watching more college football, open to recommendations on great places to do that. Full plans depend on if we hang on the Tulane side of town or head right back to hotel and how much energy we have after 4 hours of football in 277% humidity with a mask on. Considering Bulldog, also considering grabbing Camellia Grill right after the game. Considering Frenchmen this night (or possibly Friday) and Bamboula's or Dat Dog. If we do that Friday, would need to hit Butcher, Acme, or Felix likely this night.

SUN
Cafe du Monde in the morning - I know it's touristy but wife and I always sit out and soak in a bit more of NOLA on our last day there
Hitting Billy's and/or Best Stop on the drive home

On 8/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, NOMAAA said:

I don't want to write it out, but there's a huge event in Houston every year in March that I'd like to see take place. 

FYI, got this from the Windsor Court yesterday.  I imagine they don't want to have to worry about checking for this again and again in the bar, restaurant, meetings etc.  If you're a guest, you're already cleared.  If you're not cleared, you're not a guest.

Dear Valued Guest, 

Effective Monday, August 16th, the City of New Orleans will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative PCR test to participate in activities with a higher risk of transmission such as indoor dining and bars, indoor entertainment and meetings, and large outdoor events. 

As such, Windsor Court Hotel will require all guests and patrons to provide a proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test within 72-hours prior to arriving to the hotel, effective Monday, August 23rd.

Please know we are at your service and will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you to Windsor Court for an authentic New Orleans experience! 

Sincerely, 
Ralph Mahana
General Manager

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Just booked a trip for the wife and I for December. Cheap flights and lodging to be had. We haven’t been back since the Sugar Bowl so we’re pumped. 

Nice. My trip this July was my first since the Sugar Bowl as well. It was in that period of the summer in the post-vax world when everyone had stripped off their masks (except in Uber rides), so the trip was that much more joyous. A couple weeks after we left the numbers started getting shitty and the city’s hotels and restaurants started tightening restrictions. Be sure to take your vax card just in case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Went there for a long weekend. Stopped in Scott for the required boudin balls:
f50b0a31f5e39fa782c52a7520d1e26a.jpg

Lunch at Shaya, but somehow I only ended up with a picture of a cocktail:
5191bafac7b055d8809c83fc67f971f8.jpg

Dinner at Casamento’s:
39e6b38085244ba62f3d5a01db88c0bc.jpg
181ac536ad863e8c621d8e8fb6698b7f.jpg

Brunch at Mr. B’s. I’m glad to report it was back to the Mr. B’s of old:
7a8f383600048fe51ce5abdfb8df5bd6.jpg
f23fbe27810e63d6877a30dc3c8ccb7a.jpg
ed41fa2e4053ccf8bccc7dadc8c250c6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

6e575aaa66ea6e6348d6c67a99bbf96e.jpg

Sucre apparently reopened at some point:
98cf5e85a70d4515f463f12960edb7a4.jpg

Shrimp and grits from Luke:
9b09857d6301d9e4b8c9575089835177.jpg

Breakfast on the way out of town at Molly’s:
fe55af5457f045941d142a14cf352300.jpg
83b200686d60de870e7d7f455cf79ed0.jpg
0b830e24dc10d3f022cc9ffdfdab99f3.jpg

Molly’s was a first for us, but was recommended by some friends. Was a great breakfast on the way out of town.

Snack from Best Stop:
7e4109f06803c2e016f2d9932c51c266.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1