New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

3 hours ago, tigol said:

This place is getting high marks from friends.  That Nola Schnitzel Sandwich looks interesting....

https://bratzyall.com/new-orleans-bywater-bratz-y-all-bistro-food-menu

Not sure if we will eat a meal there, but we are gonna try to go there for beer and some pretzels this weekend.  They have a good German beer selection including one of my favorites, Resdidorf kolsch.

Edited by kevwun

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Went to Pêche for the first time last night.  Overall, I think GW Fins is better based on what our party thought of the meal.  I had baked drum with a mushroom broth that was one of the best fish dishes I’ve had though.

Pêche has always been solid for me. Your post reminded me to book GW Fins for my March trip, so I just made reservations. Have never been there, so very much looking forward to it. Compere Lapin and La Petit Grocery are also on the itinerary, so just need to fill out lunch/brunch spots.

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's actually an interesting question for this thread.  Favorite NOLA drinking spots outside.  At the risk of you assholes overrunning my favorite joints, I'll put up Bar Vin just off Bourbon.

Yeah patio bars were not much of a thing in NOLA until recently. Downtown, Bacchanal remains the king, though Parleaux, Bratz and Junction have become great additions. Uptown used to really just be the Bulldog and Delachaise, but now there are a ton of breweries spanning from Courtyard to Port Orleans. Not a whole lot in Mid-City, but Bayou Wine and Beer Garden is our personal favorite spot in town, particularly during crawfish season. 

Edit: Forgot to mention Val’s, from the Cure guys, which is a newish patio bar and restaurant on Freret. Cure itself actually has a nice patio. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's actually an interesting question for this thread.  Favorite NOLA drinking spots outside.  At the risk of you assholes overrunning my favorite joints, I'll put up Bar Vin just off Bourbon.

Thanks for the rec. Will check this out this week. I promise not to fuck the place up for ya!

Miss River is pretty, pretty good.  It’s amazing the job they did redoing the entire building.  It’s in the trade building that has been abandoned as long as I’ve been going to New Orleans.  There’s a Four Seasons in it now.  I’ll post pics later.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We had a cold seafood app that had shrimp, oysters and crab.  Forgot to take a pic.  The whole buttermilk fried chicken was great.  The red beans and rice were probably the best I’ve had.  Also got a side of greens and ham hock.
C096914B-6871-4B6B-A8F6-0E96ACF145A0.thumb.jpeg.6deca687001f1ae43f05e94dbba4f9ca.jpeg
36B58E78-C5F7-4053-A775-20884BB2BD46.thumb.jpeg.d5a77158db0ad1eb8d8d913cd7ed74a8.jpeg

Damn. That looks amazing. Although….I gotta tel ya, the whole fried chicken is kinda a gimmick. Fry it as prices so you get better batter distribution. Doesn’t look as cool, but 10 million southern grandmas with cast iron skillets ain’t wrong.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn. That looks amazing. Although….I gotta tel ya, the whole fried chicken is kinda a gimmick. Fry it as prices so you get better batter distribution. Doesn’t look as cool, but 10 million southern grandmas with cast iron skillets ain’t wrong.

It’s definitely a presentation deal, but they brine it so it’s super moist and flavorful and works out fine.  They also do a salt encrusted whole snapper that I want to go back to try.

Edited by kevwun

On 1/29/2022 at 8:11 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Hangin’ with Zoey and enjoying some pre-dinner cocktails. Excellent place, my friend. Thanks for the rec. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright fellas.  I know I’ve been talking about it for a while but me and the lady may be going to New Orleans for the first weekend of JazzFest.  It’s so strange that my mother’s side of the family are all from Louisiana, and I’ve pretty much been to every part of Louisiana except New Orleans.  Yep, never been.

Need some recommendations on what to do, what not to do, eats, where to stay (proximity to JazzFest and French Quarter)

I was thinking about staying here:

https://www.guestreservations.com/holiday-inn-french-quarter-chateau-lemoyne/booking?checkIn=04%2F28%2F2022&checkOut=05%2F01%2F2022&rooms=1&adults[1]=2&children[1]=0&currency=USD

Or would renting a house be the better option?  4 of us are going.

Always wanted to hit up Commander’s Palace if it’s still worth it. (Post Covid)

TIA

We stay there all the time.  The location is great.  It's within walking distance of everything in the quarter and just far enough off of Bourbon St to be much quieter.  The rooms are fine, but nothing special.  We're rarely in them, so it works well.  It's also right next to GW Fins which I would recommend to be on your list of places to eat at.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

We stay there all the time.  The location is great.  It's within walking distance of everything in the quarter and just far enough off of Bourbon St to be much quieter.  The rooms are fine, but nothing special.  We're rarely in them, so it works well.  It's also right next to GW Fins which I would recommend to be on your list of places to eat at.

Yep.  I have a timeshare right around the corner and it's super close to everything, but not in the thick of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from a wedding there, first time not being a drunken 20 year old (I’m now in my drunken 30s). Finally got to walk around and do shit other than gamble/French quarter. Didn’t realize cannabis is legal in NO.

Really liked Frenchmen St, Mother’s is still a great meal, and had a good stay at Hotel Vinache.  Latrobe’s on Royal was a great spot for the venue as they had a live band playing in the front but was reduced to a whisper if you walked two open rooms away to get food/drinks/mingle with people. Street march after the wedding was a blast, loved how everyone stops to see wtf is going on and joined in on singing.

Need to spend some more time there outside of the downtown area

Edited by StassneyHorn

23 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Alright fellas.  I know I’ve been talking about it for a while but me and the lady may be going to New Orleans for the first weekend of JazzFest.  It’s so strange that my mother’s side of the family are all from Louisiana, and I’ve pretty much been to every part of Louisiana except New Orleans.  Yep, never been.

Need some recommendations on what to do, what not to do, eats, where to stay (proximity to JazzFest and French Quarter)

I was thinking about staying here:

https://www.guestreservations.com/holiday-inn-french-quarter-chateau-lemoyne/booking?checkIn=04%2F28%2F2022&checkOut=05%2F01%2F2022&rooms=1&adults[1]=2&children[1]=0&currency=USD

Or would renting a house be the better option?  4 of us are going.

Always wanted to hit up Commander’s Palace if it’s still worth it. (Post Covid)

TIA

I’m a little over staying in the Quarter, personally, but I’m also no longer 21 trying to see how many hurricanes I can drink before getting carried back to the hotel.  If you must be there I’d pay extra for the Roosevelt or Monteleone just to have the people watching from the bar.  Also a great way to meet strangers if you’re social.  

14 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I’m a little over staying in the Quarter, personally, but I’m also no longer 21 trying to see how many hurricanes I can drink before getting carried back to the hotel.  If you must be there I’d pay extra for the Roosevelt or Monteleone just to have the people watching from the bar.  Also a great way to meet strangers if you’re social.  

Eh, it’s Jazz Fest. I typically avoid the FQ too but it’s great for that week. Straight shot to the fairgrounds and then quick walk to Frenchmen for the evening shows. 

9 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Canal?  I’ve got points burning a hole in my pocket.

Any Marriott points?  

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/msyqc-qandc-hotelbar-new-orleans-autograph-collection-/overview/?gclid=CjwKCAiAo4OQBhBBEiwA5KWu_8cZmnvSCSnejPt5QAEjY3ICdxSTE-qMWvj12MA_hnFerVn4vcGunxoCjIoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 2/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Rip76 said:

I too, am making my first visit to the N.O. this March. Don't know shit about it and hope to survive this portion of my trip. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Q&C is pretty nice. All the rooms I've stayed in have been good size for a boutique hotel.

Like the shuffleboard table when you walk into lounge area.
  • Hook 'Em 1