New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Flights are dumb for the month of May.  I haven't found anything  under $700 for two people nonstop.  I have resorted to contemplating breaking my Spirit cherry.

Flights looked cheap for three trips I’ve booked in last couple days. But I’m just Houston to New Orleans. Not sure where you’re flying out of.

7 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Any Houma recs? I have a bunch of depositions there in the next couple months.

Christiano's is great. Italian-ish menu, but lots of focus on seafood and lighter sauces. Their chargrilled oysters are not what you're used too, but they're fantastic. They've got a little bruschetta topping that's really good. They change the menu pretty often and locally source just about everything. It's in the old part of town near Terrebonne General Hospital and the court house.

For your basic South Louisiana fare, I like Cajun Critters and The Spot about equally. I think The Spot does a better boil, but I think the fried seafood at Cajun Critters is better. Gumbo is a push, didn't care for the Etouffee at Cajun Critters. Billileo's (probably spelled wrong) is in the same general area near the hospital and court house as Christiano's, and it's pretty good cajun/creole as well.  Big Al's gets a lot of run because it's in Swamp People quite a bit (The father-son from Houma sell their gators there) but it's pretty average, IMO.

There's a pretty decent soul food place called Big Mama's.

That's about all I got. I usually just eat lunch there unless I'm staying over to fish. It's an hour drive from the French Quarter to TGMC and Cardiac Institute, so if I'm going to see customers I stay in NOLA and drive in to Houma for the day.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:02 AM, kevwun said:

Not a fan of Felix.  Drago's has the best chargrilled oysters in my opinion.  Acme also has good ones if you are in the quarter and don't feel like walking to Drago's though it is always jam packed.

Dragos just never gets old

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Went to Bayona again last year. Meh, there are better places in the city now. Its good for the old school places, but I wouldnt even put it in the top 10 places in the quarter

Disagree - think Bayona is one of the best old-ish line choices in the quarter. We go often and last did a special event dinner a few months ago, thought Spicer was still going strong. 

• Like 1

Went to Bayona again last year. Meh, there are better places in the city now. Its good for the old school places, but I wouldnt even put it in the top 10 places in the quarter

10 places in the French quarter better than Bayona? This should be good.

You don’t always have to take the most extreme position possible. You know that right? Every single post is a place is either the best ever or worst ever with you.

lol sorry if I think that there are 10 better places in the quarter than Bayona

The last time we were there, we had a bad experience with service and the food was so-so. The time before that (was maybe 5-7 years ago?) the experience was good but not mind blowing. I think there are better places to spend ones money. If someone wants to disagree, fine.

And please tell me what restaurants ive posted about that were the “best evar” “worst evar.” Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers here, lawd

Anyone have recs for a Saturday Jazz Brunch in May?  1PM flight Sunday so probably cutting it to close to try to do then.   Currently have a reservation for Atchafalaya but open to other ideas.     Also, thoughts on R'evolution for Friday night dinner?  That is current reservation.  Saturday night dinner have Peche which I've been to before and a big fan of.

I just read French Quarter Fest cancelled the entire schedule for today due to weather.... if any Surlsters went, you’re going to have a lot of time for day drinking. 

It’s true. We saw Soul Project at 30/90 last night and about ten minutes into their set they announced it. Checked the website and sho nuff it was a fact.

Watching the band of storms come in now. Trying to decide where to go to ride it out.

It’s true. We saw Soul Project at 30/90 last night and about ten minutes into their set they announced it. Checked the website and sho nuff it was a fact.

Watching the band of storms come in now. Trying to decide where to go to ride it out.

I suggest a dark smoky bar with cheap booze. Maybe you can find one of those in NOLA
  • Like 1

These are all under consideration. We’re staying in uptown, so if you have any recommendations in that good, they will also be taken under advisement.

Also, we went to Felix’s for oysters last night because it was close to the stage we were watching. They still do the chargrilled pretty damn well.

• Like 1

Hitting a few hipster bars in CBD to start the day, we'll see where the weather and our drinking takes us.  Food at the fest was great yesterday, and butcher late last night hit the spot (negged for not posting pics) . 

If you're uptown, cure is really good and I've heard good stuff about cooter browns.  We like the columns hotel atmosphere as well. 

Did Antoines (never been, meh) and Cane and Table on Thurs night

Went to Ruby Slipper, FQF, Bourbon O, Dragos, Arnauds, back to Bourbon O, and then to Cure last night

Today, had brunch at Atchafalaya, then got dumped on as we went to Sucre then District Donuts on magazine. Ubered from donuts to Avenue for a beer, now at Harrahs gambling

Got reservations for Compere Lapin at 6, then gonna attempt to order 5-6 Ramos Gin Fizzes at Sazerac Bar.

Cafe Du Monde early tomorrow before our flight leaves

pray.for.mojo.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Bayou Bar at Ponchartrain Hotel.  One of the best bourbon selections around. 

All pappys, staff, orphan barrels, old forester birthday,  4 roses 50, etc. 

"Staff"? Maybe you meant "Stagg", you drunk ass.  They also had WLW, Handy, ER17.  

On 4/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, Skipper said:

Anyone have recs for a Saturday Jazz Brunch in May?  1PM flight Sunday so probably cutting it to close to try to do then.   Currently have a reservation for Atchafalaya but open to other ideas.     Also, thoughts on R'evolution for Friday night dinner?  That is current reservation.  Saturday night dinner have Peche which I've been to before and a big fan of.

Actually looking for the same. Right now I have a reservation at The Court of Two Sisters. A bit touristy, but it is quintessentially NOLA. 

Actually looking for the same. Right now I have a reservation at The Court of Two Sisters. A bit touristy, but it is quintessentially NOLA. 

Court of 2 Sisters is terrible...skip it. It used to be good from what I remember a long time ago. We went around Christmas time and there really wasn’t anything good. It was very disappointing. So many other incredible places to eat.

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Just go to G.W. Fins. It won’t disappoint. 

Looking for Brunch, which GW Fins doesn't seem to have.

Thursday night - Cochon

Friday - Jazz Fest and something casual after

Saturday Lunch/Brunch - ???

Saturday night - Shaya

Uptown area, I really liked Bar Frances and Ancora Pizzeria (Freret st).  

last year in Midcity we went to Revel on N. Carrollton.  I mentioned it on the Shaggy NO thread.  If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to drink and get some good grub, this place is on point.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Thoughts on Atchafalaya?

Solid. Good cocktails, very good food, and the prices were on point. For brunch, they had a 2 piece jazz band that started at 11am

Jalapeno cornbread was good, but came as tiny muffins, not block cornbread

wife got the shrimp and grits, large portion, great taste, but not much different than other places in town

i did the duck hash, which was tits.

got a mezcal cocktail and the wife did the build-ur-own-bloody-mary-bar

Would go back, especially due to the good food/pricing, and the casual nature of the place. Def. make a reservation though

Will be in on M-W for a conference. Staying in the FQ at Hyatt Regency I think.
We’ll hit Ruby Slipper for breakfast Monday but open to recs for the next two.
Also, I see a lot of the recs for dinner upthread but will most need reservations? It’s a M&A conference so I know most attendees will try to ball out and be seen at the good spots.

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Will be in on M-W for a conference. Staying in the FQ at Hyatt Regency I think.
We’ll hit Ruby Slipper for breakfast Monday but open to recs for the next two.
Also, I see a lot of the recs for dinner upthread but will most need reservations? It’s a M&A conference so I know most attendees will try to ball out and be seen at the good spots.

If you're with a group it's a good idea. By yourself or with one other person, you can usually get seats in the bar area. Except Peche...if you're not a single, the bar is usually fucked.

ETA: Opentable is your friend.

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

I am in Nola for work often.  A couple of places that are not near the quarter that I have really enjoyed:

Crabby Jacks - 428 Jefferson Hwy, New Orleans, LA 70118

The fried chicken was flavorful all the way to the bone.  Did not have the spice that Willie Mae's has (I like the spice), but it has tons of flavor and juiciness.  We ran into the lead singer/ drummer of Cowboy Mouth last time I was there. 

Sam's Poboy's  - 260 Brooklyn Ave, Jefferson, LA 70121

This is a total dive place, in a neighborhood,  run by the sweetest lady you can imagine and let me tell you, she knows how to cook!   She is open for breakfast and lunch until 2pm. 

On Fridays, she will do a Fried Shrimp Poboy that is my favorite.   Perfectly seasoned shrimp.  Massive poboy.

Both of these are kinda in-between the Quarter and airport (sorta).  Might be something to hit on your way in our out of town.   

Best seafood boil:  Seafood Pot - 14386 River Rd, New Sarpy, LA 70078

The crabs are fantastic and they do the crawfish up right.