New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

ERhine bringing the truth yet again. 

I've missed Sucre and District the last couple trips.  Gonna have to remedy that next trip. 

And that fried catfish poboy he posted from Butcher reminds me... A couple of trips ago when we were there, we got their Friday night special.  Fried catfish dinner.  Might be the best I've ever eaten. 

Went to Domenica last night for the first time. We had the clam pizza and our friends had the 4 meat one. It was some of the best pizza I’ve had. They also had quadrello di buffala which is my favorite cheese. That was a nice surprise. Will definitely be going back. Went to Brennan’s for breakfast this morning. I had turtle soup and eggs hussarde. The wife had eggs Benedict. Both were great and I would say better than Stanley was in its prime. We found a tiki bar called Tiki Tolteca which was a nice change of pace. Their drinks are good and damn strong. They make a good hurricane too.

It’s on the 2nd floor of a Mexican restaurant and you can order from their menu.

Next time y'all are in town hit Terranova Superette for the best muffaletta in the city. Twice the meat as Central Grocery. They only make 10 on Saturday morning and when they sell out it's a seven day wait for the next batch. It's a family of old-school Italian grocers running the joint.

Given they only make ten, this seems like worse odds than at Harrah’s.

it's down to vegas or NO for 4th of july but the hotel rates in NO appear to be outrageous right now.  i could fly to vegas, rent an apartment on the strip, and pay less total than i would for the driving to the hampton in NO.

i know, they just started taking bookings so rates are high and wait a few months.

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

it's down to vegas or NO for 4th of july but the hotel rates in NO appear to be outrageous right now.  i could fly to vegas, rent an apartment on the strip, and pay less total than i would for the driving to the hampton in NO.

i know, they just started taking bookings so rates are high and wait a few months.

hotels were ridiculous for NYE in New Orleans, but i did an airbnb near Tulane for 1/4 the price. ubering to the quarter was super easy and cheap.

9 hours ago, po elvis said:

hotels were ridiculous for NYE in New Orleans, but i did an airbnb near Tulane for 1/4 the price. ubering to the quarter was super easy and cheap.

i'll probably ab&b.  maybe i don't need to be walking distance to the quarter so much. 

what hoods do i need to keep away from?

edit: also, boys trip, no wags (so far)

Edited by elfenix

16 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I failed this thread by failing to mention the roast beef poboy at Parasol’s. I have it down as my #1 roast beef poboy

Nobody outside the neighborhood knows of the best one in New Orleans. It's a pot roast po boy served at Freret Beer Room near Cure on Freret Street. Local beef cooked for 12 hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:32 AM, po elvis said:

We did the exact same for new years/sugar bowl. $10 or so lyft ride to the quarter if you are so inclined. There's also the street car. Honestly we really enjoyed staying outside of the zoo that is the quarter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I land tomorrow at 8:30 AM.  Checking in to my wife's hotel (she's been there all week) and then I'm off to du Monde for some coffee and beignets.  I'm taking a cooking class starting at 10 AM for 3 hours and then the rest of the day to myself.  I'm thinking Drago's for dinner?  Wife is free starting Friday and we're going to Atchafalaya, GW Fins, Cochon, and Ruby Red Slipper.  What else should we get into -- food, drink, or otherwise?

3 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I land tomorrow at 8:30 AM.  Checking in to my wife's hotel (she's been there all week) and then I'm off to du Monde for some coffee and beignets.  I'm taking a cooking class starting at 10 AM for 3 hours and then the rest of the day to myself.  I'm thinking Drago's for dinner?  Wife is free starting Friday and we're going to Atchafalaya, GW Fins, Cochon, and Ruby Red Slipper.  What else should we get into -- food, drink, or otherwise?

At least one night, or all of them, you should have drinks at the Sazarac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel.  Gin Fizz and the Sazarac are my favorites.