New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

While I'm posting...

A nice RGF from Sazerac Bar

Meet Kathy. She can brown my sausage any day

A nice veal grillade on cheddar grits w a sweet potato tasso ham soup (fucking amazing) finished w a chocolate pecan pie which I couldn't get a picture of before eating it all. bf42cdc95260d678a1efe6d5c5cb4895.jpgb4e869c91f1f2e9988aa1581991d5fcc.jpg746d865888fbb41112485241af19ffc0.jpg

• Like 6

GW Fins

Sizzling oysters and #1 tuna tartare.

#1 Tuna steak w sticky rice and veggies

Seabass w fried oysters...this was really, really good

Forgot what it was called but it's a caramel ice cream pie. We were really drunk by the end of the meal but it was goodce4f1f4413a0f87a0dd6e26a8214efab.jpg7f22db93f4acc9519aa9fd43150a4465.jpg7a7adf7d769eef5d72ce7024691332e2.jpgef7fe748169c5e76be1700423a89c6c9.jpg

• Like 1

This place is awesome. Unseen in the top of the second picture was the seafood hushpuppies. As you can see, they were awesome. The dish was duck hash. Very good

Chicken and biscuits. Holy hell I want so bad

I probably gained 40# on this trip. Need a salad cleanse for the rest of the month. 9f21a732ad94f27621bc8d11e0b8dfea.jpg6e8aff529f07a9fb55e29ef6fff73f0f.jpg1076ecdc55a6bb00872e0a2c2f01e8d8.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Spur08 said:

This place is awesome. Unseen in the top of the second picture was the seafood hushpuppies. As you can see, they were awesome. The dish was duck hash. Very good

Chicken and biscuits. Holy hell I want so bad

I probably gained 40# on this trip. Need a salad cleanse for the rest of the month. 9f21a732ad94f27621bc8d11e0b8dfea.jpg6e8aff529f07a9fb55e29ef6fff73f0f.jpg1076ecdc55a6bb00872e0a2c2f01e8d8.jpg

It really is good.  If I recall correctly, when we had brunch there, they made a damn good bloody too.

So flew in last week for a meeting. My coworker that lives there and I get in passionate debates about food all the time. His go to fried chicken place is a place called Chaps chicken over in Lakeview. So I decide to check it out.

Outstanding chicken, fried to order, and they even let you pick out the pieces that you want them to fry. Chicken was juicy and the crust was a perfect light crust full of flavor. If I could get them to throw in a little pepper into the marinade and crust like they do at Willie Mae’s, we might have the perfect piece of fried chicken.

7 hours ago, hobbs said:

It really is good.  If I recall correctly, when we had brunch there, they made a damn good bloody too.

Went there for brunch on New Year’s Eve for our Sugar Bowl trip. They had a build-your-own Bloody bar, so we never had they’re house Bloody.  The duck hash was outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

We arrive this Thursday. So far we’ve got Arnaud’s for dinner on Thurs night (I lobbied for Clancy’s but got vetoed), Patois for lunch Friday and R’evolution for dinner Friday. Not sure about Sat breakfast/brunch but suggestions are welcome.

Outside at Cafe Amelie

14 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

We arrive this Thursday. So far we’ve got Arnaud’s for dinner on Thurs night (I lobbied for Clancy’s but got vetoed), Patois for lunch Friday and R’evolution for dinner Friday. Not sure about Sat breakfast/brunch but suggestions are welcome.

Atchafalaya. Photos above on this page and I think a few pages back as well. We did their brunch on our Sugar Bowl trip and it was fantastic. I don't know if it is a regular occurrence or if it was because of the holiday weekend, but they had a build your own bloody mary bar. 

Edited by gmr548
Spelling.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Atchafalaya. Photos above on this page and I think a few pages back as well. We did their brunch on our Sugar Bowl trip and it was fantastic. I don't know if it is a regular occurrence or if it was because of the holiday weekend, but they had a build your own bloody mary bar. 

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Haven't been there in about 4 or 5 years, and the bloody mary bar was part of the Sunday brunch back then.  Sounds like it's a regular thing.

11 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

First timer here landing Thursday also.  Irene's is our only reservation so far so keep the recommendations coming.

Restaurant Rebirth. Check the reviews.  I am normally skeptical of Yelp for a variety of reasons, but this place is amazing:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/restaurant-rebirth-new-orleans?sort_by=date_desc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

What did you have there?

Gumbo (shared with wife as appetizer)

She had the bone in pork chop (couldn't finish it -- it was massive)

I had a steak special (it was very good)

the cornbread that comes with the dinner is amazing. Sides were very good as well.  The food is a cajun/southern mix.  Wine list is not extensive, but has some good choices.  We had dessert, but now I can't remember what it was.

Here is the website (the space is small so you need a reservation):  http://www.restaurantrebirth.com/index.html

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

First timer here landing Thursday also.  Irene's is our only reservation so far so keep the recommendations coming.

I'd Peche and Brennan's for a first visit.  The duck at Peche, as a first, is a must.  You can't go wrong with Comper, Cochon or Delmonico.  My casual go to sports bar is Mannings.  Yeah a Mother's for breakfast or a sandwich on your way out is good option.     

We are going to Jazzfest in May and I have made reservations at Cafe Degas and Carrollton Market. These are two places we've never been to before and I'm looking forward to both. We've been to almost all of the well regarded places and our favorites are Brigtsen's and Shaya.  Chef Brigtsen was really cool and gave us a tour of his kitchen and let us ask questions of his chefs about some of the dishes. Herbsaint was pretty disappointing the last time we went but Dookie Chase's was better than ever. We love going out to the lake and eating at Deanie's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Compere Lapin is outstanding.  Sort of Caribbean meets Creole.  The James Beard-winning head chef, Nina Compton, is from St. Lucia.  We ate there for the first time last summer with a friend who actually grew up with her in St. Lucia, and she came out and chatted with our table for a few minutes.  Ate there again during our Sugar Bowl trip.  Both meals were excellent. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Compere Lapin is outstanding.  Sort of Caribbean meets Creole.  The James Beard-winning head chef, Nina Compton, is from St. Lucia.  We ate there for the first time last summer with a friend who actually grew up with her in St. Lucia, and she came out and chatted with our table for a few minutes.  Ate there again during our Sugar Bowl trip.  Both meals were excellent. 

Agreed, great service, food, and drink.  Anybody made it to her new place in Bywater?  Might need to add that to the list for next trip. 

5 hours ago, msbesq said:

We are going to Jazzfest in May and I have made reservations at Cafe Degas and Carrollton Market. These are two places we've never been to before and I'm looking forward to both. We've been to almost all of the well regarded places and our favorites are Brigtsen's and Shaya.  Chef Brigtsen was really cool and gave us a tour of his kitchen and let us ask questions of his chefs about some of the dishes. Herbsaint was pretty disappointing the last time we went but Dookie Chase's was better than ever. We love going out to the lake and eating at Deanie's.

Have heard good things about Carrollton Market, but have not been yet.  Report back please.

Also, Brigtsen's and Shaya are favorites of ours as well...always solid.

Restaurant R’evolution for dinner tonight.

Amuse bouche

ae181848af863eeb921f1ccc32ef71a4.jpg

Oysters (the two on the right basically tasted like a Bloody Mary).

8e0727e25eed0b17c0157460fccb055d.jpg

Death by Gumbo

88f9c8470a3696656699857d1a7e581d.jpg

adb6c521020dfe7a37e424330f95e24d.jpg

Raw Veg salad

9acf72c30f0affd6878ea062c3fd9767.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with lobster

efa58ca463ee789ca307428eae7f3f40.jpg

Lamb ragu with pappardelle

7c96a866ceca391d857337b12eda47b5.jpg

Red fish with smushed potato. Might be the best fish dish I have ever eaten.

c88458f24b84d6e2e187b701133ffb15.jpg

Rib eye (boring), it was perfectly cooked though

e5dcb193344d27cc835548c14ba8599c.jpg

• Like 1