New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

On 6/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, Big Jake said:

We're going soon as well........don't know about "most" but we've got reservations at Peche', Cochon, Toup's, Gris Gris and Bywater. 

Youre Goddamn Right GIFs | Tenor

And we still gotta figure out Sunday lunch, Parkway or Piece of Meat?  Or we could hit a brunch, but we'd have to pack some khakis and that's asking a bit much from us.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, gmr548 said:

Old Tyme in Lafayette on the way in, Peche for dinner last night. Really enjoyed Peche.

66ca318d8d4d9fd5c9456852f7ae4c15.jpg

IMG_1254.jpgIMG_1256.jpg

Last few times we've driven, it hasn't worked out for us to hit Olde Tyme, and I gotta change that because it's fucking good.  Peche is on my "must" list damn near each New Orleans trip, might be my favorite place to eat right now

My Fourth of July weekend reservations are set as follows:

Friday dinner: Compere Lapin

Saturday brunch: Atchafalaya

Saturday dinner: La Petite Grocery

Sunday dinner: Gris Gris

So I’m looking to fill Friday lunch and Sunday lunch with casual walk ins. Any recommendations? I’m staying in the Warehouse District on Carondelet, but don’t mind venturing out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

My Fourth of July weekend reservations are set as follows:

Friday dinner: Compere Lapin

Saturday brunch: Atchafalaya

Saturday dinner: La Petite Grocery

Sunday dinner: Gris Gris

So I’m looking to fill Friday lunch and Sunday lunch with casual walk ins. Any recommendations? I’m staying in the Warehouse District on Carondelet, but don’t mind venturing out.

Domilise’s reopened indoors so would be a good lunch spot. Turkey and the Wolf as well. 

Sundays are great at Bacchanal. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

A few highlights from our trip last week.

Atchafalaya. Shrimp and grits, eggs Louisianne, crispy oysters, chorizo and black bean soup, crab ravioli.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Gris gris. Shrimp and grits, flambeaux shrimp, gumbo.

Hitting up both of these spots for Fourth of July weekend.  I've been to Atchafalaya, but Gris Gris will be a first.  I like the story of the Gris Gris chef -- New Orleans native, former United States Marine.  Looking forward to that one.

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hitting up both of these spots for Fourth of July weekend.  I've been to Atchafalaya, but Gris Gris will be a first.  I like the story of the Gris Gris chef -- New Orleans native, former United States Marine.  Looking forward to that one.

You'll enjoy Gris-Gris.  We've been 3 times, tried at least half of the menu, all really good.  They make one of my favorite gumbos ever.

More on the chef and the restaurant:

Eric Cooks of Gris Gris

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How’s the rabbit fricassee? That looks enticing.

Have not had the rabbit, but I'd bet it's really good. 

From the dinner menu, we've tried the duck, pork chop, chicken and dumplings, and shrimp and grits.  Loved the sweetness and the cook of the duck.  The pork chop was thick, juicy, and tender <insert mom joke>.  I'm not a big chicken and dumplings guy, but I'm a fan of that one.  My wife is a shrimp and grits connoisseur and that one ranks very high on her list, the roux makes it.

Great drinks, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night’s dinner at Compere Lapin. Seared pompano and roasted chicken with Caribbean rice and beans. Forgot to take a picture of the tuna tartare, which was phenomenal.

And I recommend the Copper Hopper, a mix of vodka, tequila, pineapple, jalapeño, and champagne.

4BFF0B98-D071-4D47-95E6-5FFDBFE140E9.jpeg

6C26B1C4-8779-4937-940A-9B4AF07694DA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not a poboy connoisseur, and have never been a the-bread-makes-the-sandwich kind of a guy, but that was some of the best damn sandwich bread I’ve ever had.

Leidenheimer bakery bread makes it. It really does, and I didn’t realize how important it was till I got older.

God do I love oyster po boys.
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m not a poboy connoisseur, and have never been a the-bread-makes-the-sandwich kind of a guy, but that was some of the best damn sandwich bread I’ve ever had.

Poboys and cheesesteaks. You try to get one outside of their respective homeland, and the biggest problem is usually that the bread is wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

For po’boys, everything else is secondary to the bread. You can have great ingredients inside but it just ain’t right if the bread is wrong. My Lafayette-born wife is especially picky about this, even in Houston we rarely find a place they does a poboy right. 

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your lady is the one who keeps ordering the chicken, isn’t she?

I mean, it’s all looked good…:

She’s not gluten free, but has enough of a gluten sensitivity where I need to strategically order for the both of us to increase my chances of getting laid each night.

You thought I came to New Orleans just for the food?

She’s not gluten free, but has enough of a gluten sensitivity where I need to strategically order for the both of us to increase my chances of getting laid each night.
You thought I came to New Orleans just for the food?

Absolutely not. I fully expected you to multi-task. Don’t let us down. Letting her down is bad enough.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sunday night dinner at Gris Gris. Salet and gumbo, creole redfish court bouillon.
55128972-D3AF-45CB-91C0-439658CC3D62.thumb.jpeg.30c3d486ae7942d00218c48f5ae32e4e.jpeg
98BC5574-8F1D-44EC-A339-12D10B6A9E77.thumb.jpeg.643a0827571c1afeb8739413133c91a8.jpeg
7E363359-928E-4F65-A619-5D4A9040938F.thumb.jpeg.2180d250c183d692f715d9e1f2e61a05.jpeg

That gumbo roux is the correct color.

The older cajun lady (“mémère”) who taught my New England mom how to cook in 1950s New Orleans said about roux, “First you make it brown, brown brown…”

• 3 weeks later...

Driving to Destin in a couple of weeks and stopping off in NO on the way back. We’ll be there for a lunch, dinner and then breakfast/brunch before heading back. Any suggestions without having to dress up? We’re spending a week on the beach and don’t want to take dress up clothes with us. 

21 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Willie maes scotch house for fried chicken lunch

This man knows of what he speaks.

First time I went there I was the only cracka in the place.  The server who took my order kept peering at me from behind the kitchen doorway.  Next thing I know there's the server and a brotha who appears to be the/a cook peering again around the same spot.

She brings me my bill and I politely asked her, "Did I do something wrong?"

She laughs and says, "Oh baby, I'm sorry.  I had to go and get my brother because we've never seen a white boy tear up yarbird like that."

I left that establishment a very proud "white boy".

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Cajun said:

This man knows of what he speaks.

First time I went there I was the only cracka in the place.  The server who took my order kept peering at me from behind the kitchen doorway.  Next thing I know there's the server and a brotha who appears to be the/a cook peering again around the same spot.

She brings me my bill and I politely asked her, "Did I do something wrong?"

She laughs and says, "Oh baby, I'm sorry.  I had to go and get my brother because we've never seen a white boy tear up yarbird like that."

I left that establishment a very proud "white boy".

Cracker ass cracker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I've seen girls with dildo "tiaras" eating at tables in Mr. B's.

True story.

I would think that’s almost a daily occurrence at Mr. B’s.  I’ve been plenty of times where the bar area is very rowdy and they are waiting for tables.  Many drunks stumbling around tables,  I always figured they are pretty lax.  

Edited by Hook1997