New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Way back when I took my wife to the Jazz festival. She's super into food, and decided once we arrived in Louisiana that she had to eat at C.P.'s. Tried to get a table the first Saturday, and George (r.i.p.) told me it was his second busiest night of the year, but he took my number anyway. Got a call..."you're in luck".  Taking us to our table, they led us through the kitchen, where my wife was blown away at the cleanliness and al the prep going on . By the time we were seated she had already decided she wanted  to return.

Had a cocktail, then crept back to George's dias to plead my case for next Saturday..."Ha! That is my busiest day of the year! Don't hold your breath!"

Next Saturday we got the call at 4 in the afternoon..."be here @ six, we've had a last minute cancellation ".  We weren't close to our room, much less the Palace. Crazy rental car abuse got us there at 6. They led us upstairs, and sat us at the turret table. For some reason, which I don't understand, we were comped 2 rounds of drinks and had free rein on the desert cart later. My first ever bread pudding.  It was a spectacular dinner and a very memorable night.

On arriving home, the new issue of Gourmet  was waiting. On the cover was a picture of the turret table we ate at two nights before. Pretty cool.

Edited by otisdog
  • Like 3

Cochon was on point, especially for lunch and for drinking $14 Weller CYPB pours.  Restaurant August was strong to quite strong for the French/Cajun/New American  vibe and the best service we had anywhere in New Orleans.  La Boca was also a great choice (Argentinian steakhouse) for something more low key and less crowded but still excellent steaks.  Bourbon street sucked, I don’t get it.  

On 9/21/2018 at 9:09 PM, USCATX said:

Cochon was on point, especially for lunch and for drinking $14 Weller CYPB pours.  Restaurant August was strong to quite strong for the French/Cajun/New American  vibe and the best service we had anywhere in New Orleans.  La Boca was also a great choice (Argentinian steakhouse) for something more low key and less crowded but still excellent steaks.  Bourbon street sucked, I don’t get it.  

Cochon is very good. La Boca is low key? Every time I go there it’s absolutely packed. Very good place though. 

Hitting up The Rib Room on Tuesday for some delicious prime rib. Best I’ve ever had. The place is a gem and is never crowded.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, otisdog said:

Way back when I took my wife to the Jazz festival. She's super into food, and decided once we arrived in Louisiana that she had to eat at C.P.'s. Tried to get a table the first Saturday, and George (r.i.p.) told me it was his second busiest night of the year, but he took my number anyway. Got a call..."you're in luck".  Taking us to our table, they led us through the kitchen, where my wife was blown away at the cleanliness and al the prep going on . By the time we were seated she had already decided she wanted  to return.

Had a cocktail, then crept back to George's dias to plead my case for next Saturday..."Ha! That is my busiest day of the year! Don't hold your breath!"

Next Saturday we got the call at 4 in the afternoon..."be here @ six, we've had a last minute cancellation ".  We weren't close to our room, much less the Palace. Crazy rental car abuse got us there at 6. They led us upstairs, and sat us at the turret table. For some reason, which I don't understand, we were comped 2 rounds of drinks and had free rein on the desert cart later. My first ever bread pudding.  It was a spectacular dinner and a very memorable night.

On arriving home, the new issue of Gourmet  was waiting. On the cover was a picture of the turret table we ate at two nights before. Pretty cool.

You're living right.

My favorite Cafe Du Monde memory... I went with two friends to the 1995 Sugar Bowl v VaTech. 

On Xmas eve my car bit the dust. This was a real problem, as I was the only one with a car to drive to N.O. that week. 

We had an extra ticket, so I made an offer to my dad. You drive us to N.O. you get a free ticket. 

My dad grew up in N.O. attending Sugar Bowls so he jumped at it. He stayed with family in town, we tore it up in the Quarter. 

The morning after the game we got back to our room at 630am. Dad was picking us up at 800am. 

We drag ass out to the car and collapse in the back seat. To our surprise, waiting for us back there were three coffees and three bags of Cafe Du Monde beignets. 

The way we inhaled those, the car probably looked like a Scarface blow bender. 

Before he fell asleep for the entire drive, my buddy mumbled "your dad is cool as shit, man".

If you're not out of your gourd, you're eating beignets at the wrong time. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Good call.  Our last trip to Mr B's was disappointing.  

I'm glad you said what I was thinking.......Met some clients there last month on my way back through town.

Everything seemed a bit off and stale (figuratively).  I wondered if it was just me.  They of course didn't say anything, but I left underwhelmed relative to past meals there.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting excited for our trip next weekend. Arrive Thursday about 7pm and leave Sunday afternoon. The plan for food is:

Thursday - Peche (walk in and hope to sit at bar)

Friday - Breakfast Red Slipper Cafe,  Lunch Drago's or Acme (I like them both), Dinner at Restaurant R'evolution

Saturday - Lunch from Central Grocery, Dinner at Commanders Palace 

Sunday - Brunch at Arnaud's

I only go about once a year and wish I had more time. That is just about all the food I can fit in a weekend. Will need to diet for a month afterwards. 

• Like 1

Damn, the edit function doesn't last long here...

Acme story - Wife and I are walking past the restaurant, and I mention that we'd be eating there later in the week. A guy in the restaurant starts choking on a 'ster, another guy runs up behind him and performs the heimlich, and the oyster splats the window right in front  of us...

Wife - "Uhhhh, we're not eating here!"

Got back yesterday from 4 nights. I didn’t take many pictures and the ones I did suck.

Breakfast:

Horns - can’t remember what I ate but I don’t think it was on the menu online. The Bloody Mary was great, so maybe that’s why

New Orleans Cake Cafe - Boudin and eggs was awesome. I’d definitely go back for that.

Ruby Slipper - had the Benedict trio. The cochon was the best with the etouffee one a close second. Way too much food, but seemed like a good way to start the day.

Lunch:

Ate at the Blues & BBQ festival one day. All local vendors and shared a few things with friends. Nothing was really great, but it was a fun atmosphere

Dat Dog - shared a hot dog with the wife that was pretty great. Just fancy, overpriced hot dogs

Dinner:

Dragos - oysters were good but everything else was by far the worst my group had on the trip. It was a neat experience, but we had better oysters elsewhere

Luke - after watching the Texas game at a brewery, I’m sure the food may not have been as great as I remember now. Had shrimp and grits and some great cocktails

Saba - easily the best restaurant we went to on the trip. With cocktails and shared plates, it ended up being around $80 / pp, but I’ll definitely go back. The highlights were the blue crab hummus / pita, lutenista, octopus and falafel. The roasted chicken we shared was really good, but not worth the price at all. I’d probably try one of the other options next time. 

Cochon Butcher - had boudin and shared the Monday night special (fried pork chops and red beans and rice) + gyro with the wife. All 3 were great and it was an easy, quick dinner (counter service).

Shrimp & Tasso Henican is a perfect dish. A classic dish that will never evolve, nor should it.
I went for the first time this past weekend for lunch. On the Steel Shank to ERine Dining Scale I am firmly on the Steel Shank end, but I can't get over what an amazing experience that meal was. The henican was unexplainable, my entree was a pork porterhouse that couldn't have been better if it was finished tableside with Salma Hayek's tit sweat straight off the nip, and the turtle soup was actually better than it was hyped up to be.

But the fucking gumbo was probably the best thing I've ever tasted. I'm now going to spend the rest of my life trying to make that roux until my heart or my ass explodes.

TL;DR I really liked Commander's Palace.196d6d90a30e89b71925be10a4a9dfc1.jpg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So this is an extension of my post in the Surly Dad thread. Short story: wife and i were having our first December 8. We lost her on November 2. So, to get out of the house and help ease her mind around the due date, I’m surprising her by taking her to New Orleans December 6-10. Got free rooms through Caesar’s at the Hilton Riverside. Get in around 5 on Thursday the 6th. No real budget. Give me what and where you’d do. We’ve both never been other than 21 during Mardi Gras, so i remember basically nothing. So we are open to anything.

• Like 1

Of you're traveling on interstate 10 between Texas and NOLA, double the typical travel time, especially on Sunday headed west. Last year it took me 1 hour to get over the bridge at baton rouge. 4 hr trip from NOLA to Beaumont took almost 8. Then I had to haul ass to IAH to fly to work the next week.

5 hours ago, riloh05 said:

Yep, last year was our first year to go and it was a blast.   We're back in town this year for it.  

Hit Compere Lapin last night when we got in, Willa Jean this morning, Gris Gris for lunch.  I think Toups and Peche are on the list as well. 

And then the usual suspects for drinks.  Carousel, Sazerac, Hot Tin, Avenue Pub, maybe over to Cure or Cane and Table. 

13 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yep, last year was our first year to go and it was a blast.   We're back in town this year for it.  

Hit Compere Lapin last night when we got in, Willa Jean this morning, Gris Gris for lunch.  I think Toups and Peche are on the list as well. 

And then the usual suspects for drinks.  Carousel, Sazerac, Hot Tin, Avenue Pub, maybe over to Cure or Cane and Table. 

Switch Carousel with Latitude 29 and thats pretty much the perfect bar list

22 hours ago, ocugolf said:

So this is an extension of my post in the Surly Dad thread. Short story: wife and i were having our first December 8. We lost her on November 2. So, to get out of the house and help ease her mind around the due date, I’m surprising her by taking her to New Orleans December 6-10. Got free rooms through Caesar’s at the Hilton Riverside. Get in around 5 on Thursday the 6th. No real budget. Give me what and where you’d do. We’ve both never been other than 21 during Mardi Gras, so i remember basically nothing. So we are open to anything.

Take her to some really nice meals. I'd recommend: Doris Metropolitan, GW Fins, Upperline, Irene's, Restaurant R'evolution, Shaya, Restaurant August

Walk the length of Royal Street during the day. Let her look around and shop, while you walk with her and drink beer on the street. I prefer a tasty Yuengling.

Sorry for your loss.

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Take her to some really nice meals. I'd recommend: Doris Metropolitan, GW Fins, Upperline, Irene's, Restaurant R'evolution, Shaya, Restaurant August

Walk the length of Royal Street during the day. Let her look around and shop, while you walk with her and drink beer on the street. I prefer a tasty Yuengling.

Sorry for your loss.

Restaurant Rebirth, in the Warehouse district.  

The NO Art Museum and sculpture garden is actually really nice

And sorry for your loss as well

Edited by AustinMT

On 11/7/2018 at 5:50 PM, ocugolf said:

My bank account always tells me there are plenty of shops on Magazine St. that chicks dig.  Since you'll have plenty of time, that would be a good 1/2 day.

Make an appointment and get a shave and a whiskey at Aidan Gill while she's shopping, then go have lunch at La Petite Grocery.

Damn ocug. Sorry, man. I also just booked 4 nights, 1/2-1/6, with the wife. She's never been and thanks to fish bowls and hand grenades in college, I might as well have never been either. This thread is amazing, but I'm pretty sure I need to start the pre-NO diet and liver detox program now. I cant wait to fully look into all the dining options, but I'm thinking Drago's, CP, Peche and Sazerac are in my near future.

MIL was ill so we went to N.O. for a week.  Ate at older spots.  Felix's Oyster Bar (West End)-had fried soft shell crab and charbroiled oysters. Don's Seafood in Metairie for a gumbo that was great.  Drago's in Bucktown for... I don't remember.  Muffaletta at the Central Grocery and blackened drum at K-Paul's.  Shrimp at Mulate's and a whole broiled redfish at Commander's Palace.  Assorted Sazeracs, Sidecars, Old Fashioned's, and wine.  MIL is doing much better-played bingo at the hospital on Wednesday-and won a penguin doll.

Other than the Bloody Mary at Mulate's nothing was very spicy.  I've had blackened redfish at Prudhomme's and the seasoning on the drum was disappointing in comparison.  Missed Antoine's and Galatoire's.  Both the turtle soup and redfish at CP were less than stellar; although the waiter was surprised and pleased that I had eaten both cheeks from the fish.  Plain turtle soup in Germany was much better and you could tell it was turtle.  Way too much bread pudding- the least of the three was a bread pudding souffle at CP.

On the next trip, I'll try some of the places mentioned on this thread.  The trip has inspired me to whip up a Poorman's Jambalaya from Prudhomme's first cookbook for tonight's game watch from Tceh.

• Like 1

Is St. Patrick's Day a huge thing in New Orleans?  We are going that weekend for a wedding and the prices for flights are real dumb and have been that way since it was possible to book for that weekend.  Southwest is already sold out on their cheaper rates on the optimum return times and right now it would be $1,000 to fly out of Austin if you don't want to leave at the ass crack of dawn for either flight.  The cheapest I have found is United out of IAH for $716.  Normally we leave on Friday morning and land around noon and fly out at 8:00 or 9:00 on Sunday morning.  Leaving a day early on Thursday or flying back on Monday doesn't seem to matter.  I wouldn't really worry because Southwest usually comes through with a sale, but the number of sold out flights this far out makes me nervous.  I am wondering if I should jump on the United flight.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:44 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I'm sure it's in here somewhere or maybe on the old site, but has anyone done Toups' Meatery?

A few times, including last Friday.  I had the Hot Fried Quail.  Buddy of mine loves the burger there, but they were out of the wagyu that day, so he settled for the chicken sandwich.  Wives split the Shrimp PoBoy.  All really good.

Cracklin, boudin balls, pork chop, roasted shrimp, charcuterie...  You really can't go wrong.  Even the cocktails, some of which can have some strange combinations of flavors, always come through.

While you're in the area, hit up Revel.  Chris McMillian and his wife Laura can sling some damn fine drinks and he's a walking encyclopedia of cocktails and stories about their place in history.  

On 11/8/2018 at 4:30 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Sorry for your loss.

Spot on until.....Yuengling?  Wtf?

Abita would be the correct answer. 

Long day trip today - flew out of Austin at 8 arrive at 10 in no lunch at mr bs grilled shrimp and gumbo (good not great more familiar old school and comfort food like) hearing at 2 then meet friends for drinks then supper at the bar at Revolution before 10 pm flight home. Had a half order of lobster gnocchi and new flounder oyster polenta dish they have. Both were very very good (our remaining hobby after kids is eating well and both of these dishes were memorably good). Uber back to airport now thinking about that flounder.

There's tons of inexpensive meals that can expose him/the group to New Orleans -

Cochon Butcher - Sandwiches

Central Grocery - Muffaletta

Domilise's - Po Boys

Willa Mae's - Fried Chicken

Drago's - Chargrilled Oysters

Bowl of gumbo at a number of nicer restaurants

Flying in on Black Friday for a guys weekend trip. One guy has never been. Unfortunately with this group I may be forced to stick with the $ - $$ range for meals but will definitely try to splurge at least once.

Any recs for popping someone's NOLA cherry?

Lots of cheap and great options.

Parkway or Mahoneys for Po boys.
Felix’s or Acme for oysters (including really good chargrilled) and gumbo.

And here’s a surprise - Remoulade. The casual creole offspring of Arnauds. And it’s not where you’d expect something good like this - right on Bourbon st. Classic dishes, low price, nice place.