New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Would definitely take them to Parkway.  Their bar also has a good selection of beer if there's a line, which their probably will be.  They have other sandwiches besides poboys if you have picky eaters in the group also.

Edited by kevwun

The wife and I are going this weekend instead of doing Thanksgiving with the family.

We have reservations at Revolution and CP. Gonna play the other meals as we go.

The question I have for y’all is about the bars on Frenchmen. We found a couple of bands that are playing at Vaso and The Maison that look like a good time. Does anyone know what the scene is like in these places? Younger or older crowd?

Thanks guys, put together a list of ~20 places based on this thread and some other recs to share with my group so we'll see where we end up.  What do you guys think? Any of these places gonna be a no go without a reservation?

Cochon Butcher - $

Parkway Bakery & Tavern - $

Mahony’s Po-Boys & Seafood - $

Jimmy J’s Café - $

Willie Mae’s Scotch House - $$

Drago’s (Metairie?) - $$

Felix’s Restaurant & Oyster Bar - $$

Acme Oyster House - $$

Remoulade - $$

Port of Call - $$

Cane & Table

Red Fish Grill - $$

Jacques-Imo’s - $$

Brigtsen’s Restaurant - $$$

Commander’s Palace - $$$

Peche

Restaurant R’evolution - $$$$

Bars/Happy Hour

d.b.a.

Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar & Restaurant

Domenica

NOLA

Cure

Hot Tin - $$$

Edited by Bobby Light
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, put together a list of ~20 places based on this thread and some other recs to share with my group so we'll see where we end up.  What do you guys think? Any of these places gonna be a no go without a reservation?

Cochon Butcher - $
Jimmy J’s Café - $
Drago’s (Metairie?) - $$
Acme Oyster House - $$
Remoulade - $$
Port of Call - $$
Cane & Table
Red Fish Grill - $$
Jacques-Imo’s - $$
Commander’s Palace - $$$
Peche
Bars/Happy Hour
d.b.a.
Domenica
NOLA
Cure
Hot Tin - $$$

I’d go to all of em. It’s the only way to be sure.

1 hour ago, Bobby Light said:

Cochon Butcher - $

Jimmy J’s Café - $

Drago’s (Metairie?) - $$

Acme Oyster House - $$

Remoulade - $$

Port of Call - $$

Cane & Table

Red Fish Grill - $$

Jacques-Imo’s - $$

Commander’s Palace - $$$

Peche

Bars/Happy Hour

d.b.a.

Domenica

NOLA

Cure

Hot Tin - $$$

lafittes_exterior_martin-pilat-flickr.jp

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobby Light said:

Cochon Butcher - $

Jimmy J’s Café - $

Drago’s (Metairie?) - $$

Acme Oyster House - $$

Remoulade - $$

Port of Call - $$

Cane & Table

Red Fish Grill - $$

Jacques-Imo’s - $$

Commander’s Palace - $$$

Peche

Bars/Happy Hour

d.b.a.

Domenica

NOLA

Cure

Hot Tin - $$$

Reservation for sure needed at: Jacques-Imo's, Brigstens, CP, Peche, R'evolution, Domenica, Nola

Going to be lines - potentially long ones at - Willie Mae's, Felix, Acme, Hot Tin Roof

• Like 1

At the airport now leaving.

We did dinner at Revolution and Jacques Imos

We tried to eat Acme but the lines were just too long did lunch at Mr Bs bar and Atchafalaya.

Revolution was incredibly good. The crab beignets were on point. The scallop dish with foie gras was really good as was the short rib dish.

Jacques Imos was damn good as well the Crawfish Cheesecake might be the best thing we had. Also got some Etoufee and some seafood eggplant dish.

Mr Bs bar menu is good not great but we enjoyed the Bbq shrimp, yaya gumbo and crab cake.

Atchafalaya was my favorite meal. Started with the fried green tomatoes with crab and then got Eggs Louisiana and shrimp and grits. 

At the airport now leaving.
We did dinner at Revolution and Jacques Imos
We tried to eat Acme but the lines were just too long did lunch at Mr Bs bar and Atchafalaya.

Revolution was incredibly good. The crab beignets were on point. The scallop dish with foie gras was really good as was the short rib dish.
Jacques Imos was damn good as well the Crawfish Cheesecake might be the best thing we had. Also got some Etoufee and some seafood eggplant dish.
Mr Bs bar menu is good not great but we enjoyed the Bbq shrimp, yaya gumbo and crab cake.
Atchafalaya was my favorite meal. Started with the fried green tomatoes with crab and then got Eggs Louisiana and shrimp and grits. 

Atchafalaya is my favorite too. Seems a little under the radar due to location and size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We ended up going to:

Coop's Place -  had the sampler with seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, cajun fried chicken, red beans & rice with sausage, and rabbit & sausage jambalaya

Mother's - Ferdi Po Boy with cheese (called the Ralph), holy shit was it big. Also tried their chicken & Sausage gumbo and turtle soup

The Original French Market Restaurant and Bar - They had a boiling pot right next to the street that just smelled awesome and was the only reason we went there. Had some boiled shrimp and some chargrilled oysters

Dat Dog - This was right by the pace we were staying on Frenchmen and good late night spot. Had the crawfish etoufee hotdog

Favela Chic - Another Frenchmen spot, they have a good cuban sandwich tortilla wrap for quick late night grub 

Acme - Hit it at the right time, hardly any line on a late Sunday afternoon. Had 2 dozen chargriiled, so good

Cafe Du Monde - also no line after Acme so grabbed a quick bag of beignets

Ruby Slipper - Had pecan pie stuffed fench toast and the benedict trio with pork debris, fried chicken and shrimp tasso, excellent

Also hit a number of various bars for drinks but nothing special. Was actually the first trip I've made to NOLA where I didnt hit up Bourbon street but didnt even care. With the bayou classic in town that weekend, it was probably packed anyway and not worth the effort

We are going in January with a big group for the birthday of one of my wife's friends.  Will be around Magazine St a lot.  I know about Sucre, Shaya, Domenica, District Donuts and La Petite in that area.  Any other good places to eat?  What bars or other things to do in the area?  Probably won't go anywhere super nice on this trip because of the group.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

We are going in January with a big group for the birthday of one of my wife's friends.  Will be around Magazine St a lot.  I know about Sucre, Shaya, Domenica, District Donuts and La Petite in that area.  Any other good places to eat?  What bars or other things to do in the area?  Probably won't go anywhere super nice on this trip because of the group.

Seems obvious, but hit the Sazerac bar before Domenica, since they're in the same hotel (Roosevelt). I love the chargrilled oysters at Drago's, may wanna give 'em a try.

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

May or may not work if you are having to stick with a group but every time I know I'll be around Magazine and have time to kill, I call ahead to Aidan Gill and make an appointment for at least a shave  and usually a haircut too. 

Old school barbers take pride in their work....its a throwback and not in a phony way.  They're playing old vinyl jazz and blues on a vintage turntable.  Classic playboys and old hunting/fishing journals to read in the waiting area.   Shave lasts damn near an hour with alternating hot and cold towels and attention to detail.  They even offer you a whiskey or Guinness when you're done.

I wouldn't mind trying that in the future, but I will pretty much just be along for the ride on this one as far as stuff like that.  It's a surprise 40th birthday party weekend with a herd of women, so I will just be content to drink and eat well.  I haven't spent a lot of time in the Magazine St. area, so I don't have a list of places I can recommend like normal.

Edited by kevwun

Not fancy, but damn good:

Casamento's
Company Burger

Bouligny Tavern - great bar on Magazine

Pizza Domenica on Magazine is the pizza offshoot of the original Domenica in the Roosevelt.

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Haven't looked at NYE yet, but just booked for Dec. 30 at Compere Lapin.  Had no trouble getting a table at a decent hour.

Yeah, I can't fly in until the morning of the 1st.  Currently have Mr. B's for lunch and Willa Jean for Brunch on the 2nd.

also flying in on the 1st for the sugar.  Will be with a couple of kids, any hotel recs with easy access to the dome?  Not sure we want to stay in the quarter with kids and drunk dawg fans.  I've stayed in a few places off/away from Bourbon but If i recall there's mostly just airbnbs in the garden district, etc...but it's been a while.

4 minutes ago, ballrific said:

also flying in on the 1st for the sugar.  Will be with a couple of kids, any hotel recs with easy access to the dome?  Not sure we want to stay in the quarter with kids and drunk dawg fans.  I've stayed in a few places off/away from Bourbon but If i recall there's mostly just airbnbs in the garden district, etc...but it's been a while.

Pickins are slim for New Years. We’re staying at The Cambia, and friends are staying at the Ace. Both around Lafayette Square, away from The Quater. About a 20 minute walk from the Superdome.

Lots of cheap and great options.

Parkway or Mahoneys for Po boys.

Felix’s or Acme for oysters (including really good chargrilled) and gumbo.

And here’s a surprise - Remoulade. The casual creole offspring of Arnauds. And it’s not where you’d expect something good like this - right on Bourbon st. Classic dishes, low price, nice place.

Casamento's for oysters >>>>> Acme and Felix. 

sorry for the signature. New phone. I'll turn it off. Sigh.

• Like 1