New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Another checking in for the Sugar Bowl trip. Lover the intel y'all provide.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Sugar Bowl trip food itinerary:

Sunday:  dinner at Compère Lapin

Monday: brunch at Atchafalaya, dinner at Cochon

Tuesday: brunch at Willa Jean, will grab dinner grub at Superdome

We have the same Monday plans, lolz. Cochon may change, which would bum me out because I really want to try it.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:50 PM, ocugolf said:

So this is an extension of my post in the Surly Dad thread. Short story: wife and i were having our first December 8. We lost her on November 2. So, to get out of the house and help ease her mind around the due date, I’m surprising her by taking her to New Orleans December 6-10. Got free rooms through Caesar’s at the Hilton Riverside. Get in around 5 on Thursday the 6th. No real budget. Give me what and where you’d do. We’ve both never been other than 21 during Mardi Gras, so i remember basically nothing. So we are open to anything.

I am really sorry to hear that. Can't imagine what it is like to be in your shoes but I hope the trip is exactly what you guys need.

This is a late replay because I was reading back through the thread - a couple of years ago my girlfriend and I did one of the hands-on classes at the New Orleans School of cooking: https://neworleansschoolofcooking.com/. Full disclosure, it is definitely a bit touristy, but it was a blast. The hands-on classes are in a small group setting, have booze, and you get to eat your creations. Looks like they still have openings in that window if you are still looking for something. 

45 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Get into town Thursday at 5. Is there anything close to the harrah’s for dinner that i should check out? Need reservations for? 

Compere Lapin, reservations recommended.  Drago's if you want oysters.  Both are a couple blocks from Harrahs. 

Peche and Herbsaint are a few blocks.  You'll want reservations for both those as well. 

13 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Compere Lapin, reservations recommended.  Drago's if you want oysters.  Both are a couple blocks from Harrahs. 

Peche and Herbsaint are a few blocks.  You'll want reservations for both those as well. 

Thinking Peche on Thursday night. Is it coat and tie? Or will slacks/jeans and a button down work there?

I personally don't like the sazerac or a gin fizz, but it's worth trying them once at the Sazerac bar.  The other bigger bar that is in the Roosevelt across the hallway is also nice and isn't as crowded.  They make very stiff cocktails.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wife and I have never been to the bar at the Roosevelt Hotel, and were thinking of checking it out.  Is it worth a stop? We’d probably be going on the Sunday before New Year’s Eve.

Its home to the best cocktail money can buy, and is full of history and a must stop for me every time im in new orleans

• Like 2

So far we have:

Thursday night: Peche

Friday Lunch: NOLA Brewing Co./McClure's BBQ

Friday Dinner: Cochon

Saturday Lunch: Dominise's

Saturday Dinner:  Thinking Jacques-Imo's but they don't take reservations. Maybe do Acme or something instead.

I'm open for suggestions on Sunday.  

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Wife and I have never been to the bar at the Roosevelt Hotel, and were thinking of checking it out.  Is it worth a stop? We’d probably be going on the Sunday before New Year’s Eve.

You should go.  Two Sazaracs will set you free.  Gin Fizzes are good too.

• Like 1

I'm a man, 43, and have never been to New Orleans for some reason. Fixing that for the Sugar Bowl.  Just read the entire thread.  NYE reservations are drying up pretty fast for the hot spots mentioned.  That and it's hard to tell what menus will be for that night...I presume a lot of prix fixe menus that aren't published yet.  

Wait, is your group the type that enjoys the dinner, lightly gambles the goes night night around 12?

Or the group that hammers back whiskeys and works off markers only to Uber it to the airport just in time for take off?

Certainly not not the former. However, it depends on how the gambling goes whether we get some sleep or taxi straight to the airport.

I'll be there this weekend for the first time. Got invited to a wedding and couldn't pass up a free trip. I'm sure our only free night will be Friday night. Staying at the Marriott on Canal St so I'll be trying to sneak off to Harrah's when i can.

Plenty of info on this thread but i didn't read it all. My question is, what do i need to avoid while i'm down there? I like knowing the "don'ts" more than the "do's" 

1 hour ago, BERT said:

I'll be there this weekend for the first time. Got invited to a wedding and couldn't pass up a free trip. I'm sure our only free night will be Friday night. Staying at the Marriott on Canal St so I'll be trying to sneak off to Harrah's when i can.

Plenty of info on this thread but i didn't read it all. My question is, what do i need to avoid while i'm down there? I like knowing the "don'ts" more than the "do's" 

Don't fall asleep at Krystal around Bama fans.

• Like 1

Don't go to a titty bar with people you just met on a balcony and then pass out in the corner and get stuck with the bill. Especially don't do this if you're there for your anniversary.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

If anyone comes up to you and starts talking to you about your shoes, keep walking and ignore them.

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Or just answer correctly and laugh about it. 

4 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

I like to clarify the deal:

“So you are going to correctly tell me the store, city and state I purchased my shoes?”

Absolutely fell for this my first time.  God dammit.  

Premise: Bet you I can tell you where you got those shoes at.

Correct answer: GOT EM ON MY FEET

On 12/2/2018 at 5:47 PM, South Austin said:

Sugar Bowl trip food itinerary:

Sunday:  dinner at Compère Lapin

Monday: brunch at Atchafalaya, dinner at Cochon

Tuesday: brunch at Willa Jean, will grab dinner grub at Superdome

Do you know for sure if it is Brunch menu that day?  Normally just Sat and Sun.  It's right by our hotel so looking at this as well.

19 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Here through Monday. We have reservations at Maypop, Peche and Commander's Palace for brunch on Saturday. Looking to fill in the gaps with old standbys (Drago's, Mother's, Coop's, etc...). Just had two delicious sandwiches at Turkey and the Wolf (chicken salad torta and grilled cheese with collard greens).

Try Restaurant Rebirth in the Warehouse District.  Check the reviews...

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, BERT said:

I would avoid Harrah's.  Way too much to enjoy in the city to waste time gambling.

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Do you know for sure if it is Brunch menu that day?  Normally just Sat and Sun.  It's right by our hotel so looking at this as well.

Yea I have a reservation that day as well and had the same question. Doesn't make any special mention of it on the website

I never understand the people that go to NO and dont leave the quarter

Frenchman, Bywater, Commanders, Cure, Clancys, Le Petite Grocery, Shaya, Magazine, Zoo, Avenue Pub, Hansens, Upperline, Domilises, Cochon, Butcher, Howlin Wolf, Emerils places, Links places, Besh’s former places, Sazerac Bar, Victory, Compere Lapin, etc etc

• Like 1

Locked in this weekend with late Friday lunch at Commander's (been too long), Saturday evening Reveillon at Upperline, Sunday evening at Peche.  Winging the rest of it, but will certainly visit Sazerac Bar, Marvin at Carousel, Avenue Bar, Hot Tin for the view.  

Return Monday via Best Stop to restock the freezer.  Bon Temps.