Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

Funny this topic has resurfaced.  I was talking with my wife about 10 minutes ago.  There is a hotel resort just north of Tucson we like to go to.  We fly to ABQ and drive down.  Wife is now suggesting driving in November instead of flying, and we’d likely break it up with a one-night stop.   I’ve always read about the Gage and the restaurant there — how is it?

On 6/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, RollLeft said:

Also I hear Alpine has 22 confirmed cases of Covid and the Big Bend has or will shut back down.

Yikes. Old population and a long way to go for treatment if the little hospital in Alpine fills up. Probably brought in from tourists from the big metros. We thought about going out there for a little bit in the spring but decided against it for that reason.

• 2 months later...

I’ll go back and read through this thread but want to ask about swimming holes around the area.  lady and I are staying in alpine for a couple nights next week and I was looking forward to swimming in balmorhea but it looks like the pool is closed.  anyone know of any other good places to swim around that part of texas?

22 hours ago, futureman said:

I’ll go back and read through this thread but want to ask about swimming holes around the area.  lady and I are staying in alpine for a couple nights next week and I was looking forward to swimming in balmorhea but it looks like the pool is closed.  anyone know of any other good places to swim around that part of texas?

http://www.chinatihotsprings.net/index.php

CHIEF

On 9/5/2020 at 3:24 PM, futureman said:

south of the groovers gas station

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, our family has decided to take advantage of the pandemic and relocate to Big Bend for a couple weeks while we're working/learning remotely.  The plan is to spend about a week in Alpine and then another week in Terlingua around Halloween.  We already have places lined up to stay.

Looking for some advice on things to do with a 6 year old and a 9 year old.

• Balmorhea State Park is closed and the McDonald Observatory is all booked up, so those are off the list
  • We'll probably make trips to Ft. Davis, Monahans and Big Bend State Park
  • During the week the kids will have Zoom calls 8-10 AM and 1-3 PM; Trying to find stuff we can schedule around that or find stuff that's worth ditching a few calls for;  I'll probably try to plan something where we do Zoom in the morning, head into BBNP and have lunch, take a break at a visitor center for more Zoom and then chill the rest of the afternoon.
  • What else is worth checking out in the area besides the National Park?  Anyone ever been to the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute?
  • In the park it looks like the hot springs are closed, so that's off also.  We're planning to visit Boquillas and thinking about doing a rafting trip.  I need to figure out how well those are setup for young-ish kids.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Marfa was decent later in the week/weekend. Shops and restaurants. Everyone masked up. We stayed Sunday through Saturday last week with some friends. Took a lot of provisions and shared a courtyard. Everyone worked until 3:30p or 4p then we kicked back with gorgeous weather and shared meals until things started opening on Tuesday and each day was gradually more.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

The Visitors Centers are all closed as is the Lodge & Restaurant, according to the Big Bend NP website.  If you go into the park, assume you won't have internet or it will be spotty at best. Boquillas Crossing is also closed. 

Good call out, thanks.  I saw that the stores are open and assumed that meant the visitor centers.  I see that now. And I don't know how I missed the Boquillas crossing, dang.

On the tailend of our trip in March, they started closing up the Visitors Centers. The stores are located away from the Visitors Centers and you can get by with masks and social distancing. The crossing was already closed when we went back in March. I'm surprised the Lodge and restaurant are still closed. They were open back when we were there. That was the only sit down meal we had our entire trip and they had the tables spaced apart and only allowed 20 people in at a time. You'll still have an excellent time. Definitely take the river road from Presidio to Terlingua and stop along the way. Lots of great stuff like Closed Canyon Trail and the Hoodoos. If you're a coffee drinker, the little shack in Terlingua just in front of the Far Flung Adventure Tours place is pretty good. 

Edited by mdmost

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

On the tailend of our trip in March, they started closing up the Visitors Centers. The stores are located away from the Visitors Centers and you can get by with masks and social distancing. The crossing was already closed when we went back in March. I'm surprised the Lodge and restaurant are still closed. They were open back when we were there. That was the only sit down meal we had our entire trip and they had the tables spaced apart and only allowed 20 people in at a time. You'll still have an excellent time. Definitely take the river road from Presidio to Terlingua and stop along the way. Lots of great stuff like Closed Canyon Trail and the Hoodoos. If you're a coffee drinker, the little shack in Terlingua just in front of the Far Flung Adventure Tours place is pretty good. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  On the river road trip, is that drive equally scenic in both directions?  On the day we're travelling from Alpine to Terlingua, I'm thinking we could take the day and go Alpine->Marfa->Presidio->Terlingua.  

We only did the drive in the direction of Alpine>Marfa>Presidio>Terlingua. Most of the highlights will be on the passenger side as you hug the river but that's probably safer for you as the driver. Plus, you'll pull off on the right for things like Closed Canyon Trail and the Hoodoos. We didn't go into the northern part of BBSP. Oh and stop off at Lajitas. I believe it's fully open. 

We were a bit leery of crowds so we didn't do anything like the Starlight Theater. 

Another great drive is starting in Ft Davis and doing the Mountain Loop. 

https://fortdavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/scenic-loop-map.pdf

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm heading down for an event in Big Bend in December.  Looks like we will be stationed in Marathon.  Anyone familiar with the Wilson House (casita) offsite accommodation with the Gage Hotel?  It's supposedly next to Gage Garden.  Also, looking for suggestions on AirBnB or experiences with the Gage or Marathon Motel (or Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast).  

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So I'm heading down for an event in Big Bend in December.  Looks like we will be stationed in Marathon.  Anyone familiar with the Wilson House (casita) offsite accommodation with the Gage Hotel?  It's supposedly next to Gage Garden.  Also, looking for suggestions on AirBnB or experiences with the Gage or Marathon Motel (or Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast).  

if you’re staying in marathon there’s no reason to not stay at the gage.  it’s a historic piece of texas and it’s a fine enough hotel. 

Just now, futureman said:

if you’re staying in marathon there’s no reason to not stay at the gage.  it’s a historic piece of texas and it’s a fine enough hotel. 

Understood and appreciated.  We have a pretty big group and the Gage seems a bit pricey for what it is.  We will probably have a few people stay there (brother-in-law has already booked there) but they might not be able to accommodate everyone, and I'm going to need several rooms (which will add up quickly at $400 per room per night).  Hence the question 

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Understood and appreciated.  We have a pretty big group and the Gage seems a bit pricey for what it is.  We will probably have a few people stay there (brother-in-law has already booked there) but they might not be able to accommodate everyone, and I'm going to need several rooms (which will add up quickly at $400 per room per night).  Hence the question 

ah yeah that’ll add up.  never looked for airbnb in marathon; there’s really not much going on in that town.  plenty of affordable options in alpine, about a half hour drive but it’s very easy.  worth it if prices are an issue. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

ah yeah that’ll add up.  never looked for airbnb in marathon; there’s really not much going on in that town.  plenty of affordable options in alpine, about a half hour drive but it’s very easy.  worth it if prices are an issue. 

After a little more digging I decided to bite the bullet and book rooms at the Gage.  The Air BNB's only had single baths which wasn't gonna work.  Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Went with 6 guys to back pack around big bend for three days this weekend. Instead of heading back the last day we got a last minute air bnb in marathon and got fucking obliterated at White Buffalo. I love that bar.

Nice, I was out there backpacking as well this past weekend. Normally we would stay at Gage but did a hotel in Alpine this time around and had a big night at Crystal Bar. 

• 1 month later...

kind of off topic, but my daughter loved this place:

FIRST ON CBS7: Iconic Target Marathon taken down

The Target Marathon is no more.
The Target Marathon is no more.(Lisa Rayburn)
Published: Dec. 10, 2020 at 6:04 PM CST|Updated: 2 hours ago

MARATHON, Texas (KOSA) - The iconic Target in Marathon is no more.

It wasn’t vandals who destroyed the landmark, but the owner of the property.

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson tells CBS7 that the structure had become more unstable and the property owner was worried someone could get hurt.

He decided to take it down before that could happen.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, stc said:

Spent 10 days in the park this month in backcountry sites. Nights were cold, got down to 18 one night on Paint Gap Road. Days were perfect for hiking, just had to deal with it getting dark by 6:30. Caught the Geminid meteor shower which was very cool. A few pics...da534e1522004d3133fef06b1f68d498.jpgfb176dcc357e1c743fb41ec3a04a7c00.jpgbaa1a7e3e4251870ea28dbe2f19c8eb3.jpg8af16e44dcccb761b936937791f5ff65.jpgb45286c19b5da244655a5d9b1c00ac58.jpgde519e9293363bedab734b187e1ed76b.jpg

Wow, 10 days?  What was the water and resupply situation?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wow, 10 days?  What was the water and resupply situation?

we weren't backpacking, there are many backcountry sites accessible by vehicle. carried 10 gallons of water and refilled within the park when needed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, tejas60 said:

kind of off topic, but my daughter loved this place:

FIRST ON CBS7: Iconic Target Marathon taken down

The Target Marathon is no more.
The Target Marathon is no more.(Lisa Rayburn)
Published: Dec. 10, 2020 at 6:04 PM CST|Updated: 2 hours ago

MARATHON, Texas (KOSA) - The iconic Target in Marathon is no more.

It wasn’t vandals who destroyed the landmark, but the owner of the property.

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson tells CBS7 that the structure had become more unstable and the property owner was worried someone could get hurt.

He decided to take it down before that could happen.

So where are the Real Housewives of Marathon going to shop?

I left the Chisos Basin at 3:30pm Wednesday.  Drove to Marathon for dinner and then drove through heavy snow for about an hour on 90 toward Del Rio.  Crazy shit.  We were supposed to stay in BBRSP one more night but I didn't want to be driving out on River Rd the next day in those conditions.  We hiked Emory Peak Wednesday and saw several campers on their way up into the mountains for the night when we were on our way down.  I love a good adventure but camping in the snow isn't one of them.  The Ranger advised us to be back down by 3pm as he expected the road into the Basin to close and anyone still in there could be trapped a couple days.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Sat parked for 2 hrs on I10 just 50 miles east of Ft Stockton last night.  The back up was over 20 miles long according to a trucker I shot the shit with standing in the middle of that highway.  Buncha big rigs got boogered up ahead of us —

E0A9CF5A-112F-40F7-864A-AF763FF72EB8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1