Minnesota Teacher Racist AF

Neonmoon

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/minnesota-teacher-placed-leave-after-using-n-word-front-middle-n1004491

A Minnesota teacher has been placed on leave after a video showing her using a racial slur while speaking to middle school students went viral, the district said Thursday.

Saint Paul Public Schools Superintendent Joe Gothard promised in a statement to take aggressive action after video was posted online of teacher Wendy Brilowski using the N-word at Highland Park Middle School.

Brilowski can be heard saying " f------ n------" in the video, which the district verified was authentic to NBC News. Another staff member said "she's repeating what you're saying" after the slur was used, but the roughly 20-second video does not show any students speaking prior to Brilowski's comments.

The district did not provide more detail on the context of what happened before or after the video was taken, but did confirm the incident occurred during school hours. Brilowski did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

Gothard also apologized in a video to parents, adding that foul and racist language has no place in the district.

"As educators, we have to be held to a higher standard and we know that this situation represents a failure on our part," Gothard said. "And we will not fall silent in the face of racism in our schools."

Brandy Coleman, the mother of one of the students, told NBC-affiliate KARE that the video was the boiling point of tensions between Brilowski and her daughter that had been simmering over the course of many months. Her daughter said that Brilowski previously called her and other students "negroes," the mother told KARE.

“It breaks my heart that I didn’t know the magnitude of the situation so that I could intervene before that video,” she said.

should have played it safe and stuck to the (Minnesota version of)  STAAR curriculum.

keep turning out test takers who know no context or real life application of knowledge.

"As educators, we have to be held to a higher standard and we know that this situation represents a failure on our part," Gothard said. "And we will not fall silent in the face of racism in our schools."

Disapproving of someone on the job dropping an N bomb is being held to a higher standard?  

Sounds like she was possibly baited into saying it by students and it was edited out. Without seeing a full, unedited video it's hard to make a call. Having said that, she should have known better than use that phrase.

• Like 3

In the interview with the mother and daughter they refer to "the N word" and then they say the teacher called her a negro. Has anyone heard the actual, unedited audio? I wouldn't equate "negro" with "the N word." You tell me she used the N word and I assume she said "nigger." While neither is appropriate, one is more wildly inappropriate than the other. If the teacher just used "negro," as outdated and inappropriate as that is, then I'd say the article is misleading. There's no reason to censor that word and by doing so you invite a wrong assumption. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In the interview with the mother and daughter they refer to "the N word" and then they say the teacher called her a negro. Has anyone heard the actual, unedited audio? I wouldn't equate "negro" with "the N word." You tell me she used the N word and I assume she said "nigger." While neither is appropriate, one is more wildly inappropriate than the other. If the teacher just used "negro," as outdated and inappropriate as that is, then I'd say the article is misleading. There's no reason to censor that word and by doing so you invite a wrong assumption. 

If she'd said magic negro it would be OK ?

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you retarded? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You need help, bro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Apparently. The recording of the teacher in the linked video was bleeped and in the interview with the mother and daughter they both said "negro." I can't say for sure which word the teacher used. Can you?

Who gives a fuck what form of the word she used? She referred to a black person with a racial slur and you are sitting here debating how one version might be less of an offense. 

• Like 1

Minnesota is funny.  Outside the Twin Cities, the majority of the population hasn't seen a black person in real life.  They just know of Prince and their local athletes.

They won't hesitate to lecture or scold someone from more Southern states about their racism toward blacks.

Just don't get them started on the Indians (feather).

WhattheBuck's scenario of her saying "negro" is plausible, as there are many aspects of Minnesota life that seem stuck in the 50s.  That it was in St. Paul makes it less so.

Before the inevitable interpretation of my comment as proximity to a race somehow excusing racism, not what I meant at all.  It's just ironic that a lot of more rural Minnesotans are horribly racist toward the single local non-Scandinavian minority and delude themselves that they are morally or otherwise superior to others.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And she was the Spanish teacher, so she could have even said "Negras" or even "Negritas."

• Like 1

Re-read the article and listen to the interview.

The reference to her saying "negro" was relating to a prior incident(s) where the same kid came home and told her mother it was said by this teacher.

The mother who seemed to be pretty level headed attributed that to some aspect of history curriculum and assumed it was in the context of teaching about civil rights, slavery, etc.

The kids told the mom it wasn't and that they had moved past those subjects. 

In this case which was caught on camera and based on the interview with the kid, it is pretty clear that she moved past the word negro - not that it should matter...but if it does to you then there you have it...she (the teacher) appears to cover all the bases and is fully armed with racist  jargon.

Brandy Coleman, the mother of one of the students, told NBC-affiliate KARE that the video was the boiling point of tensions between Brilowski and her daughter that had been simmering over the course of many months. Her daughter said that Brilowski previously called her and other students "negroes," the mother told KARE.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who gives a fuck what form of the word she used? She referred to a black person with a racial slur and you are sitting here debating how one version might be less of an offense. 

I do. I'd like to know what actually happened. I don't give a fuck what happens to the teacher, but "the N word" has one meaning as indicated by the definite article "the." "Negro" is not the N word. It's an N word, and while not acceptable now, it was once freely used by everyone and wasn't considered offensive. Nobody ever refers to it as the N word. We all know what the N word is. If you can't see the difference then you're the retard. 

The reporter asked if the teacher called the student "negro" and the answer came back "yes." My confusion is justified. Raise your hand if you saw the headline and didn't assume the word used was "nigger." You know, THE N WORD. Maybe you didn't watch the video and just assumed that's what was said because the headline said so. What if that wasn't what was said? Why bleep the word "negro?" You don't think that would qualify as misleading?

Maybe the teacher used the actual N word and mother, daughter, and reporter all used the word negro euphemistically. I can't rule that out. If that was the case then the reporter should have made it clear.  

I think it's a legitimate question. I still don't know what was actually said and yes, of course there's a difference. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Re-read the article and listen to the interview.

The reference to her saying "negro" was relating to a prior incident(s) where the same kid came home and told her mother it was said by this teacher.

The mother who seemed to be pretty level headed attributed that to some aspect of history curriculum and assumed it was in the context of teaching about civil rights, slavery, etc.

The kids told the mom it wasn't and that they had moved past those subjects. 

In this case which was caught on camera and based on the interview with the kid, it is pretty clear that she moved past the word negro - not that it should matter...but if it does to you then there you have it...she (the teacher) appears to cover all the bases and is fully armed with racist  jargon.

Maybe it would be easiest if we didn't bleep the word. I'm not sure what purpose that serves. Yes, it's offensive, but is hiding the ugliness really serving the greater good? Maybe we shouldn't sanitize it by bleeping it out. Let it shock and offend. 

I'll buy that she used the N word. But that video was confusing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Minnesota is funny.  Outside the Twin Cities, the majority of the population hasn't seen a black person in real life.  They just know of Prince and their local athletes.

They won't hesitate to lecture or scold someone from more Southern states about their racism toward blacks.

Yeah Minnesotans love to tout that they've always been so progressive but they do get a bit uncomfortable when you ask them who killed Jack Trice...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

"But they say it in rap music all the time" is one of the least persuasive arguments of all time on anything.

You should be able to knock that argument down pretty easily. I've never heard it though. The one I hear is "I wish rappers wouldn't be using it in songs". That argument seems pretty persuasive.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

How about “Negroid”?  Is that still socially acceptable, like Caucasian?

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Everything you said is actually applicable to most of the Midwest.

Certainly to Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

In fact, Chicago folks are racist as fuck.

But us "red necks" in the south are the real racist.

Cracker!

22 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

As is "colored". And as is, or at least "causing" offense to some, "black".

I remember being in social studies in grade school and having to read out loud to the rest of the class. When someone came to the word negro they got uncomfortable and the teacher had to explain that it was a proper and acceptable term. 

That some, I would say overly sensitive types get weird about using the term “black” I find to be odd.  African American seems to be ubiquitously used even if that person’s roots are hundreds of years from Africa or not even African at all (Caribbean).    Then there’s also people from Africa who aren’t black. I have a friend who is Algerian and looks white. She was born in Africa and lives here now as a citizen. She is factually more “African-American” than most black people in the United States.