WCF: Warriors vs Blazers

Vic Mackey

26 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Portland's back court isn't as good as the Warriors and then add Draymond.... it's enough.  Denver actually would have been a much tougher matchup.

I disagree. Neither stood much of a chance, but Golden State absolutely owned Denver all season. Just non competitive with Denver's youth not ready for the champs. The Warriors could have played Bogut more against Jokic, spreading out their bench minutes. Jokic would have still gotten his, but who else could have hurt them? Klay would have locked down Murray, Dray would have out Millsapped Millsap and Steph could have rested on pretty much anyone else Denver has on the roster instead of having to chase around CJ.

Neither Portland or Denver's defense is much to speak about. They would have put Jokic in a billion pick and rolls.

Edited by aggie08

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Also - these Warriors > everything takes are way premature. Of the 3 best teams in the league 2 are in the East. GS will not have HCA against either of them in the Finals. 

I know you’re not a betting man according to how you lashed out at me earlier when I even mentioned “Vegas” but would you actually put money on either one of those teams in a 7 game series. I’m not saying it isn’t possible without KD, but I would imagine GS would still be favored to win that series. Neither team in the east has ever been this far. You’re counting on a lot of guys that have never been there to rise to the occasion.

For the record, I’m not saying I want to bet you. Just asking would you expect them to be favored to win the series. Vegas isn’t in the business of losing money. They usually get it right.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Here was the final sequence from both teams after the Blazers took an 8-point lead with 4:28 left in the game:

GOLDEN STATE - Draymond Green makes 2-foot two point shot (108-102)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 30-foot three point jumper

GOLDEN STATE - Kevon Looney makes 1 free throw of 2 (108-103)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 26-foot three point jumper

GOLDEN STATE - Andre Iguodala makes 1-foot dunk (108-105)

PORTLAND - Draymond Green blocks CJ McCollum 's 8-foot driving layup

GOLDEN STATE - Kevon Looney makes alley oop layup (108-107)

PORTLAND - Meyers Leonard misses (ill advised) alley oop from CJ McCollum

GOLDEN STATE - Stephen Curry makes free throw 3 of 3 (108-110)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 25-foot three point jumper

And at that point, the game was all but lost. Five straight possessions in the fourth quarter for Portland were wasted by McCollum.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Was that CJ? I thought it was Evan Turner. If CJ, that's inexcusable. You can at least understand bench players trying to do too much, but that play was awful.

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know you’re not a betting man according to how you lashed out at me earlier when I even mentioned “Vegas” but would you actually put money on either one of those teams in a 7 game series. I’m not saying it isn’t possible without KD, but I would imagine GS would still be favored to win that series. Neither team in the east has ever been this far. You’re counting on a lot of guys that have never been there to rise to the occasion.

For the record, I’m not saying I want to bet you. Just asking would you expect them to be favored to win the series. Vegas isn’t in the business of losing money. They usually get it right.

Yes. I would put money on Milwaukee against this Warriors team without KD in the Finals without a 2nd thought. 

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Here was the final sequence from both teams after the Blazers took an 8-point lead with 4:28 left in the game:

GOLDEN STATE - Draymond Green makes 2-foot two point shot (108-102)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 30-foot three point jumper

GOLDEN STATE - Kevon Looney makes 1 free throw of 2 (108-103)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 26-foot three point jumper

GOLDEN STATE - Andre Iguodala makes 1-foot dunk (108-105)

PORTLAND - Draymond Green blocks CJ McCollum 's 8-foot driving layup

GOLDEN STATE - Kevon Looney makes alley oop layup (108-107)

GOLDEN STATE - Stephen Curry makes free throw 3 of 3 (108-110)

PORTLAND - CJ McCollum misses 25-foot three point jumper

And at that point, the game was all but lost. Five straight possessions in the fourth quarter for Portland were wasted by McCollum.

He was fucking terrible tonight..... Awful.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How many clean strips does Iggy have on last second shot attempts in the playoffs? Like a dozen? Mostly against the who's who of the NBA: LeBron, KD, Russ, Harden, Dame. 

He didn't get called for a foul but I'm not sure you can really call that a "clean strip".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. I would put money on Milwaukee against this Warriors team without KD in the Finals without a 2nd thought. 

Let me rephrase that. So would I. That would be the smart thing to do if they weren’t favored and you think they have a chance. And they do have a chance. I’m saying do you think they will be favored to win the series. Because I don’t.

and the raptors have no shot whatsoever 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Teams that are just now winning their first playoff series together don't go on to win the Finals. The one exception being Golden State in 2015, the exception that proves the rule. Even without KD, if it's Bucks vs Warriors, Milwaukee is likely to go the way of Shaq's Magic or KD and Russ's Thunder when they first made the finals. And that's especially sure considering that Milwaukee's go-to guy is a young guy who can't shoot, and they don't even have an established #2 guy. They'd win one vs GS even without KD. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Milwaukee has almost zero chance to beat GS as both teams are currently constructed. The track record for team's in Milwaukee's situation is hopeless, and for good reason. I will gladly take bets from any and everyone who thinks that the Bucks can beat Golden State in the finals. 

I thought that I was going to be annoyed with all the crowd shots of the Curry family, but Sonya clearly rooting harder for Seth, and Ayesha giving her the "okay, okay, we get it" side eye every time is pretty damn entertaining.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Teams that are just now winning their first playoff series together don't go on to win the Finals. The one exception being Golden State in 2015, the exception that proves the rule. Even without KD, if it's Bucks vs Warriors, Milwaukee is likely to go the way of Shaq's Magic or KD and Russ's Thunder when they first made the finals. And that's especially sure considering that Milwaukee's go-to guy is a young guy who can't shoot, and they don't even have an established #2 guy. They'd win one vs GS even without KD. 

There's probably something to this. I think, if Milwaukee plays up to their capabilities, they can give Golden State a series even with KD out there. Conversely, it is not that difficult to picture a scenario where Golden State runs Brook Lopez through a myriad of pick and rolls on offense, stay home on shooters on defense, "letting" Giannis get his by only smartly doubling, and the Bucks shoot 30% from 3 in their first Finals appearance, and the Warriors win somewhat easily.

Many a player has looked unprepared for their first Finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That defeat last night has to be demoralizing.

It could go either way.  Either "we're screwed, let's just phone it in" or "dang we we're close on their home court, surely we can do it again are home"

Also, where are all the Portland fans whining about the refs? Are the warriors all of the sudden not landing underneath shooters?

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I thought that I was going to be annoyed with all the crowd shots of the Curry family, but Sonya clearly rooting harder for Seth, and Ayesha giving her the "okay, okay, we get it" side eye every time is pretty damn entertaining.

The only thing I've gotten from the Curry vs. Curry constant coverage is that Steph's mom is hotter than his wife.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Same...i think it's cool. They're having a blast, fun to see the old video of steph and seth in Toronto shooting on the court.

I went to a twolves camp when I was like 7 or 8 and was in awe if being on an actual nba court...they probably shot hoops on one every day

And yes before you say something...attending a wolves bball camp made me a shittier bball player. After camp we went to the wolves game and I remember I had my Isaiahs mixed up. So I told my dad Isiah(JR) Rider was an Olympian when I actually talking about Isiah Thomas

11 hours ago, goatsaag said:

He didn't get called for a foul but I'm not sure you can really call that a "clean strip".

The strip itself was clean.   The arm bar he used to redirect and stay on Lillard's hip was a foul that would be called at any other time of the game.

40 minutes ago, d2o said:

The strip itself was clean.   The arm bar he used to redirect and stay on Lillard's hip was a foul that would be called at any other time of the game.

It was Dame initiating the contact by extending his arm when Iggy was going for the steal. It was a good no call, not that 2 FTs wouldve mattered at that point. 

1. Terrible loss for Portland but not particularly surprising. GS was bored until they looked up in the third quarter and said, "Oh shit. We might actually lose this game." When they ramp it up on defense and get on a run, especially at home, it is incredible to watch. I hate those assholes, but they are the most explosive basketball team I've ever seen. They are so much more entertaining to watch without Durant. 

2. Speaking of assholes.... if Draymond weren't such a gigantic one, he'd probably be my favorite player in the league. Outside of his bullshit, he embodies everything that is right about team basketball. He makes every single glue play on both sides of the court -- every pick, every pass, every rotation, every switch. The guy is an incredibly smart basketball player and one of the few who can slant the court toward his team without touching the ball. 

3. Putting the cart before the horse regarding Milwaukee vs GS finals... I get that the Bucks have never had any playoff success before, but I give them more than just a puncher's chance against Golden State even if Durant comes back. They play far, far better defense (best in the league) than anything that GS has seen so far and they are absolutely deadly from 3 point range. I think that gives them a much greater margin for error than the rest of the teams the Warriors have faced this year. Their bench (and I get that the benches get shorter in the playoffs) is a huge advantage as well just because they can mix and match lineups and give their stars rest. Bud is a terrific coach and he has a lot of options and weapons on his bench. He's not going to Mike D'Antoni this thing up in a 7 game series. And let's face it, the Warriors have never looked so vulnerable. They dropped two games against the Clippers. Houston, which is a flawed team and arguably worse than last year's version, still played them extremely close over 6 games. Portland is ass my dude and got up by 15 or 17 or whatever it was last night in Oracle. The W's bench has never looked so shaky and who knows how good Durant will be even if he does manage to come back. They've also played into June for 4 straight years and there is a lot of tread off those tires. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bucks took them down.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It was Dame initiating the contact by extending his arm when Iggy was going for the steal. It was a good no call, not that 2 FTs wouldve mattered at that point. 

Dame did extend his arm but it was in response to the arm  Iggy had in his side forcing toward the corner.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Dame did extend his arm but it was in response to the arm  Iggy had in his side forcing toward the corner.

An arm like that has literally zero percent chance of being called on the last play of a game. You have to bump him with your body if you want any chance of a call. Dame got 2 calls earlier on a drive where he got bumped body to body. 

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It could go either way.  Either "we're screwed, let's just phone it in" or "dang we we're close on their home court, surely we can do it again are home"

Also, where are all the Portland fans whining about the refs? Are the warriors all of the sudden not landing underneath shooters?

The first half of the next game will be very interesting. If Golden State comes out on fire things could spiral out of control pretty quickly for Portland.

14 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

An arm like that has literally zero percent chance of being called on the last play of a game. You have to bump him with your body if you want any chance of a call. Dame got 2 calls earlier on a drive where he got bumped body to body. 

That's what I said earlier.   It would be called early in the game.    Its a foul but they just arent gonna call that in the final secs of the game

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I doubt he comes these playoffs.

wouldn't it be amazing if they win it all with their 2015 team alone. So the amazing acquisitions of KD and Cousins are just icing on the cake. The cake is baked! Wow, that's one hell of a GM. My Rockets Morey is very good but the GS GM is freakin off the charts and i don't even know his name. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2. Speaking of assholes.... if Draymond weren't such a gigantic one, he'd probably be my favorite player in the league. Outside of his bullshit, he embodies everything that is right about team basketball. He makes every single glue play on both sides of the court -- every pick, every pass, every rotation, every switch. The guy is an incredibly smart basketball player and one of the few who can slant the court toward his team without touching the ball. 

Draymond is showing why he’s a first ballot hall of famer right now. Greatest “glue guy” in NBA history. He holds everyone accountable just as much, if not more than Kerr. And you never have to question whether or not he’s playing as hard as he possibly can. Every championship caliber team in the history of the NBA would love to have him. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

start from 2:03 to the end. Some of that is bad defense, but some of is just pure greatness. Nothing you can do about some of those transition 3s. I swear, I still feel like they set a billion illegal screens when they’re playing this style, but if they’re never going to call it they’re unstoppable. When Steph and Klay are playing now like that, nobody is beating them in a 7 game series. You have to just hope the greatest shooter to ever live, and another top 5 shooter ever just get cold for a random 2 game stretch. Not gonna happen, especially if they aren’t going up against the 2nd greatest player ever. 

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

3. Putting the cart before the horse regarding Milwaukee vs GS finals... I get that the Bucks have never had any playoff success before, but I give them more than just a puncher's chance against Golden State even if Durant comes back. They play far, far better defense (best in the league) than anything that GS has seen so far and they are absolutely deadly from 3 point range. I think that gives them a much greater margin for error than the rest of the teams the Warriors have faced this year. Their bench (and I get that the benches get shorter in the playoffs) is a huge advantage as well just because they can mix and match lineups and give their stars rest. Bud is a terrific coach and he has a lot of options and weapons on his bench. He's not going to Mike D'Antoni this thing up in a 7 game series. And let's face it, the Warriors have never looked so vulnerable. They dropped two games against the Clippers. Houston, which is a flawed team and arguably worse than last year's version, still played them extremely close over 6 games. Portland is ass my dude and got up by 15 or 17 or whatever it was last night in Oracle. The W's bench has never looked so shaky and who knows how good Durant will be even if he does manage to come back. They've also played into June for 4 straight years and there is a lot of tread off those tires. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bucks took them down.

I'll let Mitch take this one. Thanks Mitch. Although he's assuming Durant will play. The original question was Golden State without Durant - which I think Milwaukee is a nightmare matchup for. Rebounding and defense in the paint would be a huge concern for the Warriors in that scenario - not even mentioning trying to contain Giannis. All without HCA. 

I get that they aren't super experienced, but at somepoint basketball is basketball. You cite Shaq's Magic but Shaq wasn't the best player at his position in that series. Neither was Durant in 2012 against Miami (and even though OKC had HCA it was under the broken 2-3-2 format - the refs also gave Miami one of those games).

What about the 2006 Heat with baby Wade? 1980 Lakers without Kareem in the closeout with baby Magic and then Celtics in 1981 with a sophomore Bird? It doesn't happen a lot but it has happened. 

1999 Spurs is another example. Point being there are several exceptions. 

Edited by ztejas

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll let Mitch take this one. Thanks Mitch. Although he's assuming Durant will play. The original question was Golden State without Durant - which I think Milwaukee is a nightmare matchup for. Rebounding and defense in the paint would be a huge concern for the Warriors in that scenario - not even mentioning trying to contain Giannis. All without HCA. 

I get that they aren't super experienced, but at somepoint basketball is basketball. You cite Shaq's Magic but Shaq wasn't the best player at his position in that series. Neither was Durant in 2012 against Miami (and even though OKC had HCA it was under the broken 2-3-2 format - the refs also gave Miami one of those games).

What about the 2006 Heat with baby Wade? 1980 Lakers without Kareem in the closeout with baby Magic and then Celtics in 1981 with a sophomore Bird? It doesn't happen a lot but it has happened. 

1999 Spurs is another example. Point being there are several exceptions. 

The 2006 finals was kinda fluky with how they were officiating Wade, but I’ll give you that one. I still think the Mavs choked more than anything, but I’ll give you that one. But let’s be honest. Wade is probably the 3rd best SG ever. We now know that in hindsight. We didn’t know that at the time. 

The 90s spurs with David Robinson, Sean Elliot and Avery Johnson had some decent playoff wars. If I’m not mistaken, they made it to the WCF against the rockets one year. They had playoff experience. A lot more than these bucks. Plus, they just so happened to draft the best power forward of all time. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Let’s slow our role a little bit with Giannis. He’s great, but he still has a lot to prove before he could even be mentioned in the same breath as the leaders of some of those other teams. And those teams had better #2s to their leaders.

They’ve never had to play a team as playoff tested as these warriors. I get basketball is basketball, but the moment matters. We’ve seen it play out too many times. If it gets to that point, and you would be willing to do a straight up bet, I’d love to exchange PayPal/cash app/Venmo. Nothing crazy. Just a small friendly wager

Edited by youdunnf'dup

29 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The 2006 finals was kinda fluky with how they were officiating Wade, but I’ll give you that one. I still think the Mavs choked more than anything, but I’ll give you that one. But let’s be honest. Wade is probably the 3rd best SG ever. We now know that in hindsight. We didn’t know that at the time. 

The 90s spurs with David Robinson, Sean Elliot and Avery Johnson had some decent playoff wars. If I’m not mistaken, they made it to the WCF against the rockets one year. They had playoff experience. A lot more than these bucks. Plus, they just so happened to draft the best power forward of all time. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Let’s slow our role a little bit with Giannis. He’s great, but he still has a lot to prove before he could even be mentioned in the same breath as the leaders of some of those other teams. And those teams had better #2s to their leaders.

They’ve never had to play a team as playoff tested as these warriors. I get basketball is basketball, but the moment matters. We’ve seen it play out too many times. If it gets to that point, and you would be willing to do a straight up bet, I’d love to exchange PayPal/cash app/Venmo. Nothing crazy. Just a small friendly wager

Spurs made the WCF in '95 with a very different team and a different coach. '97 was a lottery season - '98 was a first round exit - '99 was a championship. By '99 Duncan was the Spurs best player - I don't think the Bucks winning it this season would be all that dissimilar to that title.

We'll see how good Giannis is - but I don't think he's all that far from prime Wade or Duncan the way he is playing right now. I think he's the best all-around defender in the league, is basically a guaranteed 25/12 with 4-5 assists and will either win the MVP or finish 2nd. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Spurs made the WCF in '95 with a very different team and a different coach. '97 was a lottery season - '98 was a first round exit - '99 was a championship. By '99 Duncan was the Spurs best player - I don't think the Bucks winning it this season would be all that dissimilar to that title.

We'll see how good Giannis is - but I don't think he's all that far from prime Wade or Duncan the way he is playing right now. I think he's the best all-around defender in the league, is basically a guaranteed 25/12 with 4-5 assists and will either win the MVP or finish 2nd. 

You willing to bet, or nah? Friendly $50 wager on the finals (or whatever you wanna do) if it is indeed, warriors v bucks. I doubt you’d want to do it if it’s Toronto, but I’d obviously do that. You sound pretty confident. 

And just to be clear, this is contingent on KD being out 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. Terrible loss for Portland but not particularly surprising. GS was bored until they looked up in the third quarter and said, "Oh shit. We might actually lose this game." When they ramp it up on defense and get on a run, especially at home, it is incredible to watch. I hate those assholes, but they are the most explosive basketball team I've ever seen. They are so much more entertaining to watch without Durant. 

Bucks only hope is if fatigue catches up with the short rotation. They have enough length to bother Giannis in the paint and the rest will be run off the floor. 

They could get hot from three and force it to 6 games but won’t be easy. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You willing to bet, or nah? Friendly $50 wager on the finals (or whatever you wanna do) if it is indeed, warriors v bucks. I doubt you’d want to do it if it’s Toronto, but I’d obviously do that. You sound pretty confident. 

And just to be clear, this is contingent on KD being out 

Dude enough with this betting shit. If I wanted to put money on anything I would do it on an online book. I tripled the roll on an account I shared with my friend in 2018 on NBA games and then lost my roll betting on cfb last season because I'm a dumbass that thinks it's a good idea to put money on Horns games. 

I don't have any interest in getting back into it right now, especially with people I don't know in person. Happy to talk about hoops but I don't need to put money down on anything to back my word. I'm just shooting the shit telling you what my opinion is and why. 

Edited by ztejas