Wait...chicks don’t like “Top Secret?”

Brisketexan

I mean...dude...what the hell? Caught the last hour of it on TV today. As the boy and I laughed our asses off, my wife and daughter shook their heads and called it trash.

I mean...WTF. It has a Ford Pinto sight gag, and a character named Latrine. How can you not find it a masterpiece of satire?

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean...dude...what the hell? Caught the last hour of it on TV today. As the boy and I laughed our asses off, my wife and daughter shook their heads and called it trash.

I mean...WTF. It has a Ford Pinto sight gag, and a character named Latrine. How can you not find it a masterpiece of satire?

Most women have no sense of humor when it comes to movies.  One of the funniest, smartest comedies ever produced, My Favorite Year.  The wife didn't like any of the humor, and called it silly, but she thinks Animal House is fun as shit ?  which it is, but has some of the lowest brow humor out there.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

What is the condition of Sergeant Kruger? I see. Let me know if there is any change in his condition.  [To people in the room] He is dead.             

This is the exact point that we tuned in.  I flag my wife and daughter with "listen to this, it's great."  And....nothing.  They shrugged.  Freaking women, man.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the exact point that we tuned in.  I flag my wife and daughter with "listen to this, it's great."  And....nothing.  They shrugged.  Freaking women, man.

I'll have to watch this with my seventh-grade daughter.  Fortunately, she's like her old man and usually finds movies like this hilarious.  She loves comedy with dry deadpan delivery.

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My daughter loves that movie.  She's 13.  But I will say she's just weird about the parts she likes.  Her favorite thing is the malt shop dance number where the girls are obviously rag dolls.  

During that scene, I was laughing out loud as they were eating pizza -- "look in the back....the stretchy cheese....holy shit" -- my wife just shakes her head.

I'll say one thing -- he proved that he is NOT Mel Torme.

Well, she loves when the soldier falls off the castle wall and breaks like he's ceramic.  But she didn't like stuff like ""I recommend the pork bellies marinated in diced pig entrails or the roast swine knuckles poached with flaming hog balls"  or the words of the East German anthem. And she found most of the gay jokes (women's tennis, Hotel Gay Schluffen, Nigel, etc) somewhat offensive, which I guess they might be.

18 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

or the words of the East German anthem.

Hail, hail East Germany / Land of fruit and grape / Land where you'll regret / If you try to escape / No matter if you tunnel under or take a running jump at the wall / Forget it, the guards will kill you, if the electrified fence doesn't first.             

• Like 1

I remember going to the movies to see this as a kid. I didn't understand all of the anachronisms throughout the movie. I remember thinking "this makes no sense." It wasn't until about a decade later when I was in college that I became a fan of the movie. We used to smoke out and watch it on VHS. One time we were watching the movie and I stand up holding a joint pointing at my friends; "Croissant, Souffle, Escargot, and ( points at our very tan skinned Mexican buddy*) Chocolate Mousse!" LOL he immediately replied with a "Fuck you!" But he was known as Chocolate Mousse for the rest of the year until Summer break.

*Most of the people involved were Hispanic including myself.

If I'm thinking of the right movie....

Two times in my life that my mom laughed so hard I thought she was going to have a heart attack.

1) Disney on Ice circa 1988.  Conga line fell and one of the dancer's boobs popped out.

2) Top Secret scene with the ballet dancers prancing across leotard balls.