Michigan’s John Beilein has agreed to a five-year deal to become coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers

Juicy

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wouldn't be surprised if John had gotten tired of all the shady shit going on in college basketball. He's definitely one of my favorite coaches in the sport.

Just brought that up with jr who is a huge UM honk,  he’s heartbroken over it, would rather lost Harbaugh than Beilein. 

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

there is definitely something at work here beyond "ooh, you can't pass up an opportunity to work for Dan Gilbert!"

Well, now that I've gotten around to reading the article, the rotting culture of CBB is definitely what's at work: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26737028/michigan-beilein-coach-cavaliers

Beilein has run model programs in college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of Michigan freshman Ignas Brazdeikis with senior Charles Matthews and sophomore Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender.

Also, ouch:

Beilein didn't want to move himself and his wife far from Michigan, and the Pistons' borderline playoff roster with little financial flexibility to make changes made staying in-state less appealing. Cleveland's rebuild status, based on point guard Collin Sexton and a 14 percent chance -- along with New York and Phoenix -- to earn the No. 1 pick in Tuesday's NBA draft lottery appealed to Beilein.

Just now, Machinator said:

Well, now that I've gotten around to reading the article, the rotting culture of CBB is definitely what's at work: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26737028/michigan-beilein-coach-cavaliers

Also, ouch:

Every word of that may be true, but I am going to wait until the dust settles to accept "he got tired of being the only good guy" as the reason.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Just brought that up with jr who is a huge UM honk,  he’s heartbroken over it, would rather lost Harbaugh than Beilein. 

i am pretty sure every michigan fan would have given up harbaugh to hold up to Beilein. 

this is a sad day 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Also, ouch:

The lottery is literally tomorrow. If I'm Belein, I string them out until then to see if I get to coach Zion. Otherwise, he's going to a franchise with barely any talent and a shitty owner. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

The lottery is literally tomorrow. If I'm Belein, I string them out until then to see if I get to coach Zion. Otherwise, he's going to a franchise with barely any talent and a shitty owner. 

His former player, Mike Gansey, is also the Assistant GM.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Just curious because we already had a thread dedicated to shit like this lol

We have threads about individual coaching changes all the time on the football board. This move has implications for both CBB and the NBA. I see no issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We have threads about individual coaching changes all the time on the football board. This move has implications for both CBB and the NBA. I see no issue.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah college basketball coaching carousel.  

He's getting off of it though.

True!

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He is also getting a 5 yr contract at more than what he was currently making.    he can always go back later or he is setting up his retirement plan

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Cavs assistant GM is one of his former players. This is 100% "let me see how I do coaching in the NBA before I hang them up" move. 

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

He is also getting a 5 yr contract at more than what he was currently making.    he can always go back later or he is setting up his retirement plan

he's already 66.  i have to think this is his last job.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Great at developing young talent. I like it a lot tbh.

Yep.  You look at the cavs roster and rebuild and this is the perfect job for him.  He's not going to be a contender, but he is going to get to coach young players and Kevin Love will be fun to coach for him.  He basically gets out of the recruiting drama and still gets to coach developing players for the last 4-5 years of his career.  He's making $3.4M at Michigan so he'll probably get a nice little bump in pay for his retirement plan.  The guy probably isn't going to coach past 70 unless it is in a much lower pressure environment.  He seems to be one of the good guy, pure coaches, in the game.  I can't imagine him wanting to deal with a bunch of drama in his final years, and that's what is happening at the college level right now.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Machinator said:

I wouldn't be surprised if John had gotten tired of all the shady shit going on in college basketball. He's definitely one of my favorite coaches in the sport.

Probably tired of having to sit next to Jim Harbaugh at the monthly UM coaches meeting.  Just said “Fuck it!  I’ll just go to the NBA.  I can’t sit next to that asshole again next month.”

On 5/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Huh ?  Are the threadmaster ?

You know Shaggy, they absolutely hate separate threads. Everything needs to be in as little threads as possible...

This is pretty big news. He was a great NCAA coach and built a solid program at Michigan and now he's going to some shit ass NBA team. Maybe he just got tired of dealing with the NCAA bullshit and how much they hover over your program and all their rules and regulations. None of that in the NBA for the most part. I don't think every NBA job is better than any NCAA job. I don't know much about the man so maybe the NBA was always on his radar.

Edited by Vic Mackey