Who has an American flag flying outside?

On 5/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, Okie State said:
On 5/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, elfenix said:
people in chicago fly the chicago flag.  it's everywhere.  kinda neat having a city flag that doesn't suck giant muledick. 

That was actually super interesting...in a really dorky kind of way. Now I want to hear more of his rambling about design.

Tulsa's city flag was called out in that presentation because it was the complex city seal on a white background and wasn't allowed to be purchased, so essentially it hung at about 4 locations at city facilities and that was it. A group of young people went into action and ran a contest for a new flag under Roman Mars' rules for design and the winner would be the new flag. It would be available for anyone to reproduce.  I knew the guys who did this and helped a little through the process.

The city council green lit the project and said they'd approve the winner. After the process, a group of people with nothing better to do got butthurt and the city council backed down. The project went forward and it became the de facto Tulsa flag being flown and used all over town. A few years later with a few new councilors elected they went ahead and approved it realizing it was dumb to backtrack because of the people who literally complaint about everything.  Sure it's open to criticism design wise, but every flat could be critiqued. It's everywhere and the way it's being used is great. I bought one of the first flags available after the context and have flown it on my house ever since. Even people who said originally they didn't like it have come around. If nothing else, it's better than what we had, which was essentially nothing.

Image result for tulsa flag

Edited by 'stache

any recs for a flag bracket/mount i can use in my apartment? only one i see online is some guy who used to sell them but is evidently no longer in business.

can't drill and dont want to do some half assed use 10 zip ties to connect a 6' pole to my balcony kind of setup

On 6/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, HRSchenker said:

Any recs on how to mount it to brick? Do I need to drill into the brick or can I go in the areas between? What kind of drill do I need? I have a 3x5 Goliad flag I want to fly on the property

On 6/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, Asithappens said:

Google it, dude.

I think you should probably drill into the mortar (the areas in between). 

Get a masonry drill. 

Google it. 

Late to the party.

Don't screw into the mortar.  Sure, it's easier to drill into, but yeah.  You don't want that.

Here's the flagpole mount I used, and what I did.  Took about 5 minutes tops.

Stainless-Steel-Brackets-3.jpg?145509491

Get a 5/32" masonry drill bit.  Use 3/16" tapcon for the screw, 2 1/4" length.

Get a hammer drill, borrow one, whatever.  Put a piece of tape on the drill bit up 2 1/4" so you don't overdrill.

Drill holes, hold up the flagpole holder, put in the tapcon and tighten with a screwdriver.  Repeat steps for the remaining 3 holes.

Mount flag.  Profit.