Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldnt find it anywhere.  

Started doing research for cars (16 and 14 year old boys).  Couple questions:

1. Thinking about getting 1 car for them to share for a couple years until the older goes to college.  Does that work?  They play the same sport and practices, etc are always together so i think sharing a car would be ok?

2. I'm leaning toward a 3-4 year car with fairly low mileage.  I also want the safest car i can find.  Lets say my budget is 10-12k, what is the best vehicle in that price range?  Searches are coming up with kia optima, altima, jetta's, etc.  I would guess any of those would be about equal?  Would one be cheaper than another when it comes to insurance?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they have to share the backseat when they fuck their girls or what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get a VW.  Just don't.  Unless you want your boys to become mechanics.

Safest?  We went with the conventional wisdom and got our kid a Volvo.  Can't say it has been maintenance free but it did its job really well.  She's still driving it 8 years later (2007 S60 T2.5).  I do like the pep in a Volvo and it is more safely constructed on average.

$10-$12 K is okay, but on average the car would probably be 5+ years old, but you can find low mileage deals.

Whether you get 1 or 2 is really not a loaded issue.  Get 1 until the older goes off to school, then the other kid can either drive it or the older kid can take it to school...  in which case you'll get another.  Each of my kids got a car but they're 3.5 years apart, so the younger's car was bought when we paid off the older's.  Most of the others are yeah, no brainers, Hondas, Kias, Nissans, Accuras, anything under the umbrella of people who regularly eat sushi are gonna be good values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When your 14yo becomes 16, your 16yo will be 18.  Will sharing a car work for them then?  Probably not.  They will have different social circles, probably start dating, getting a job somewhere.  They will have different schedules and needs.  I guess it depends upon their relationship how well they could share a car, but a car means independence and it's not easy to let go.

 

BTW, Nissan Sentra is essentially the same car as the Altima, but slightly smaller and with a much lower price tag.  It's what I got for my son a few years ago and it's been solid.

Edited by bernorange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the older kid will be 18 and adult (gone?) when the younger gets his DL, so I don't see much overlap/sharing there, mabye a bit when the younger is doing his learner's until the older goes away or whatever... seems it'll work out naturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4runners are great. I would just go back however many years you need to to get in the price range you're looking for. Safe and most of them will probably end up outliving half the posters on this board. 

When I did have any maintenance issues with mine it was always pretty affordable - just find a good, independent Toyota mechanic or DIY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, ages wrong.  15/16, oops.  Anyway, one will be a freshman this year and the other a junior so more like 2 years together in high school.  However, i know i wouldnt want to share a car so i wont argue that.  guess ill just stick with the path i was heading down and find the best hondakianissan out there. i guess insurance is the same on all those?

 

jr wants an 80's bronco, so do i. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are mechanically inclined and can do basic wrench turning, then 80's bronco wouldn't be terrible, but then again you never know what you get in a 30 year old vehicle and MPG will be about 8
For your price range, I would look at getting them the 4 runner. You could find a decent used mid 2000's 4x4 crew cab truck too. Probably 6k for each kid?

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

4runners are great. I would just go back however many years you need to to get in the price range you're looking for. Safe and most of them will probably end up outliving half the posters on this board. 

When I did have any maintenance issues with mine it was always pretty affordable - just find a good, independent Toyota mechanic or DIY. 

Yep.  My oldest is about to turn 16 and I'm looking at 4Runners and LandCruisers for him.  Boring but bulletproof, and can be had (4Runners, anyway) for less than 10k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bernorange said:

BTW, Nissan Sentra is essentially the same car as the Altima, but slightly smaller and with a much lower price tag.  It's what I got for my son a few years ago and it's been solid.

no, no it's not.  it kinda looks the same, but one is a small car platform and the other is a mid-size platform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 years ago, I only had one car for my twins, which was a 2002 Accord. Then my uncle died and my dad bought his 2012 Fusion. He wanted my kids to each have a car to drive, so he gave it to me. I told the kids, first one to get a job gets first pick of the cars. One kid was slightly pissed, I'll let you guess which one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharing a car will work if that's their only option.  They'll make it work.  They aren't going to walk and they sure as shit aren't buying their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chesthair said:

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldnt find it anywhere.  

Started doing research for cars (16 and 14 year old boys).  Couple questions:

1. Thinking about getting 1 car for them to share for a couple years until the older goes to college.  Does that work?  They play the same sport and practices, etc are always together so i think sharing a car would be ok?

2. I'm leaning toward a 3-4 year car with fairly low mileage.  I also want the safest car i can find.  Lets say my budget is 10-12k, what is the best vehicle in that price range?  Searches are coming up with kia optima, altima, jetta's, etc.  I would guess any of those would be about equal?  Would one be cheaper than another when it comes to insurance?

 

The Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry is a good option .   It they are taller kids and need the legroom, these two will do.   I bought a used Fusion for around 14k after TT&L for one of my kids and it's been a good car.   Honda Accords are going to cost you more than either one.   

Check to see if one of the rental car companies has their own resale lot in your area because Fusions and Camrys are popular rental cars fleet choices .  You might have to up your budget a tad, but at least you can get four or more years out of of one of those two considering younger drivers are not exactly gentle with cars.  

I wouldn't touch an older Jetta.   The price for a used one are attractive and they look sporty for four door.   But they will spend time in the shop.   A neighbors kid had one and it was in the shop and his dad was always bitching about it.   Heard similar stories about them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an '06 Tacoma when my son was an infant.  It has lasted his entire childhood and he's going to drive it in a year and a half when he turns 16.  It's the perfect vehicle for him.  Old enough that I'm not out much cash when he inevitably wrecks it, but new enough to have airbags and the modern conveniences,  already scratched and dinged up here and there,  but still nice enough he's not embarrassed of it,  big enough to keep him a little safer in a wreck.  Plus with, nearly a quarter million miles on it it has proven itself to be reliable.  The real question is what I buy for myself when that time comes.  Probably a 2-3 year old 4runner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry is a good option .   It they are taller kids and need the legroom, these two will do.   I bought a used Fusion for around 14k after TT&L for one of my kids and it's been a good car.   Honda Accords are going to cost you more than either one.   

Check to see if one of the rental car companies has their own resale lot in your area because Fusions and Camrys are popular rental cars fleet choices .  You might have to up your budget a tad, but at least you can get four or more years out of of one of those two considering younger drivers are not exactly gentle with cars.  

I wouldn't touch an older Jetta.   The price for a used one are attractive and they look sporty for four door.   But they will spend time in the shop.   A neighbors kid had one and it was in the shop and his dad was always bitching about it.   Heard similar stories about them as well.

This.  I had an older A4 for a bit, which is basically the same as a Jetta.  Constantly having issues, especially with the vacuum system.  It consisted of a ton of plastic parts that were constantly leaking/breaking.  Was a pain in the ass to do any kind of work on that car myself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing beats a LaBaron convertible. They will also need some pussy repellent to help keep some of the many ladies away.

 

ebay519380.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

My oldest turns 16 in August.  We'll get him an 80K mile basic mobile for under $7500.

That'll be the hardest car shopping you've ever done.  Just bought another vehicle from my daughters to share (14/16).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15-20 year old full sized pickup.  No comp or collision coverage. Tell him if he manages to not wreck the thing by the time it’s time to pass it down to his brother then he can have a little more input on the upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luke duke said:

Nothing beats a LaBaron convertible. They will also need some pussy repellent to help keep some of the many ladies away.

 

ebay519380.jpg

 

 

Is that Jon Voight's car? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two teen boys sharing one car. That car will be wrecked at some point guaranteed. I'd get a volvo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever said old beater pickup is correct. And I wouldn’t make them share if you don’t have to. But I would make the older one drive the younger one around until younger gets his own old beater pickup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't make them share. It won't work. Toyota is the correct answer, in any form. But they carry a premium. Early aughts Ford ranger will go forever. As will an e39. Just not sure on your proclivities. There are so many great old cars that would be perfect in this situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd find whatever year model / mileage combo Toyota Tacoma fits your budget.  Have the older drive it as long as possible (until their sharing is a pain for you and your wife) and then pass it down to the younger one and get your older something a little newer / nicer to take to college (assuming he has been responsible driving the Tacoma).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, Your Mom said:

I bought an '06 Tacoma when my son was an infant.  It has lasted his entire childhood and he's going to drive it in a year and a half when he turns 16.  It's the perfect vehicle for him.  Old enough that I'm not out much cash when he inevitably wrecks it, but new enough to have airbags and the modern conveniences,  already scratched and dinged up here and there,  but still nice enough he's not embarrassed of it,  big enough to keep him a little safer in a wreck.  Plus with, nearly a quarter million miles on it it has proven itself to be reliable.  The real question is what I buy for myself when that time comes.  Probably a 2-3 year old 4runner.  

Tacos have wonderful resale values.  When I was looking for a small truck for my oldest back in 2013, I shopped everywhere for one and they were coming out anywhere from $4 to $6K over what people were asking for Nissan Frontiers or Ford Rangers.   These were 2003 to 2005 models with more than 100k miles on them and even a few were pushing 150K.  I ended up getting him the Nissan.  Heck I might get me a taco when I'm ready to downsize from my F-150 if the Ford Bronco turns out to be more like a mom vehicle vs the original thing.

See, when we Americans  get tired of them  and dealers can't sell them on their resale lots or even the mom/pop dealers forgo them at auction, they will auction  them off to overseas buyers and they will either end up on ships to Asia, Africa or the Middle East.  Or in caravans down through  Mexico where they end up in Central America.   And the seller here in the states will still make some good coin and your former Tacoma might end up with an ISIS logo on it in Syria.

 

 

 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, Llano Estacado said:

1 8 7 7 Kars 4 Kids.
K A R S Kars 4 kids.
1 8 7 7 kars 4 kids.
Donate your car today.

“That’s Kars with a K. Donate online at Kars4kids.com”

now the jingle is in my head. enjoy the neg

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just make sure it's something you don't mind getting beat to shit.  It'll get dings, might get wrecked, might get left outside with the window down during a rain, might get eggs thrown on it, etc.  They dont really make them anymore but a small 4 cylinder single cab truck is good because they are super slow and can only hold one friend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Just make sure it's something you don't mind getting beat to shit.  It'll get dings, might get wrecked, might get left outside with the window down during a rain, might get eggs thrown on it, etc.  They dont really make them anymore but a small 4 cylinder single cab truck is good because they are super slow and can only hold one friend.  

And this is why for the life of me I don't understand why some stupid parents rush out and buy their kids new cars or even very low mileage used cars.  Even for graduation gifts which I'm sure a few kids have or will be getting a new set of wheels about right now.   I don't care if you promised mijo or mija if they made Top 10, you would get them a  new car.  Or if you have the cash flow to do so. 

First have fun paying for the insurance.  And two,  be prepared for the day they come home and pretty soon thereafter they get the new car for them to tell you they had a fender bender.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pick up truck with no extended/crew cab and a bed cover. Limit how many other dumbshits he can fit into the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, chesthair said:

Would one be cheaper than another when it comes to insurance?

 

You're worried about a few buck difference here when you auto premiums are about to be equal to the GDP of France?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start here, for safety,  and go back to the years that fit your budget. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks#other-years

I've never understood the mentality of since they're going to wreck it get an old beater. 

They are inexperienced drivers with poor impulse control and risk/reward evaluations and thus likely to wreck. So, get something safe as possible with modern crumple zones that redirect the energy of a crash around the cabin, ABS braking, traction/stability control, Boron steel beams/cage, as many airbags as possible, and put in bluetooth if the car doesn't have it. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
These cars are boring. When I was in HS I woulda killed for something like this:
515841.jpg


The car of choice of every high school boy that’s on the prowl for middle school girls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Start here, for safety,  and go back to the years that fit your budget. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks#other-years

I've never understood the mentality of since they're going to wreck it get an old beater. 

They are inexperienced drivers with poor impulse control and risk/reward evaluations and thus likely to wreck. So, get something safe as possible with modern crumple zones that redirect the energy of a crash around the cabin, ABS braking, traction/stability control, Boron steel beams/cage, as many airbags as possible, and put in bluetooth if the car doesn't have it. 

To prove this point.  Friday he was riding with his friend to wrestling practice.  Kid was crossing traffic and wasnt paying attention and a car was about to t-bone him...hit the accelerator and went sideways into a tree.  My kid was in the passenger seat.  Luckily no injuries but proves how stupid these kids are.  They were in an old dodge truck and they didnt even get bruised.  My kid now changed the game and said he wants a truck.  His immediate reaction was that if they were in a small car it would have been much worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Start here, for safety,  and go back to the years that fit your budget. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks#other-years

I've never understood the mentality of since they're going to wreck it get an old beater. 

They are inexperienced drivers with poor impulse control and risk/reward evaluations and thus likely to wreck. So, get something safe as possible with modern crumple zones that redirect the energy of a crash around the cabin, ABS braking, traction/stability control, Boron steel beams/cage, as many airbags as possible, and put in bluetooth if the car doesn't have it. 

Also parental features like Ford's "my key" which lets you set shit, like you can't change the radio station/volume/CD track while the car is moving, sets max speeds, etc.  And moms and dads paying cell phone bills need to have the settings so no texting, calls, etc while car is moving. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, Gil Bang said:

Also parental features like Ford's "my key" which lets you set shit, like you can't change the radio station/volume/CD track while the car is moving, sets max speeds, etc.  And moms and dads paying cell phone bills need to have the settings so no texting, calls, etc while car is moving. 

Our 16 year old's Subaru Forester can notify us when the preset boundaries are left. Same for a curfew violation. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

little bump...buying in the next few weeks.  narrowed it to altima, mazda 6, kia optima and ford fusion.  looking 2014-2016.  im guessing those are all good enough?  they all have 5* crash ratings.  also found a 1992 eddie bauer bronco for the youngest, im buying it and enjoying it for a year before he gets it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, chesthair said:

little bump...buying in the next few weeks.  narrowed it to altima, mazda 6, kia optima and ford fusion.  looking 2014-2016.  im guessing those are all good enough?  they all have 5* crash ratings.  also found a 1992 eddie bauer bronco for the youngest, im buying it and enjoying it for a year before he gets it.  

If you look at  the insurance industry's rating and not the govt's rating you can cross off the Optima and Altima before 2016. The Mazda 6 and Ford Fusion are solid choices.  https://www.iihs.org/ratings/safe-vehicles-for-teens

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...