Car for kid

little bump...buying in the next few weeks.  narrowed it to altima, mazda 6, kia optima and ford fusion.  looking 2014-2016.  im guessing those are all good enough?  they all have 5* crash ratings.  also found a 1992 eddie bauer bronco for the youngest, im buying it and enjoying it for a year before he gets it.  
So no go on a truck? Seems like an Altima is a weird car for a kid, but hey, I live in the TXK.

spacer.png

^ 1983 IROC-Z28 with t-tops was my first car. I saved up minimum wage jobs and paid $2000 for it. It had a glorious 18 month run until Harris County implemented emissions testing. Had to sell the old bird for $1500 and buy a boring 10 year old Accord. I’ve owned Honda’s and Toyota’s ever since. 

I’m more than a decade away from having to make this decision for my boys, but if it were today I’d be looking at 8-10 year old Rangers or Tacoma for small truck or Civic or Corolla for small cars, maybe Accord or Fusion if it was a good deal. It’s going to get dinged up and you probably don’t want to pay for full coverage on insurance that would cost you more than the car after 24 months, so getting something that can be replaced without serious cash outlay is nice. 

Nothing sporty, nothing small. Set your budget and make safety rating the first factor.  I spent about 10K on an F150 for one kid and the same on the other for a VolvoXC90 (Mommobile). Would do again. Both had accidents, but nothing major.  They weren't the coolest kids in school, but they had transportation.

3 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

NSIAP, but I might try to find a manual transmission for them. Like a basic Honda Civic or something.

Probably not as important as it used to be, but still a good skill to have, maybe.

particularly when you need to rent a car in Europe. 

Im going to get an older shelby or something to satisfy my mid-life crisis, they learn manual shifting with that. 

Pretty sure I'm going with what i mentioned earlier.  Neither give a shit what they drive and school/wrestling are the only places they go and both are a couple miles from the house.  I am curious about getting liability only coverage.  I dont see why I wouldnt do that, right?  Wouldnt that save significant $$? 

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/cars+between+1+and+6500/Lincoln/Town+Car/Austin+TX-78702?makeCodeList=LINC&searchRadius=400&modelCodeList=LINCTC&zip=78702&marketExtension=true&minPrice=1&maxPrice=6500&maxMileage=150000&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

problem solved right there

get each of them a Towncar for $5,500 or so maybe less

easy to work on, safe, ride like a dream, plenty of room in the back seat, and if you do not wreck it you can sell it down the road (probably to a particular demographic) for almost the same price since 4 door cars are more and more rare

plenty of power, but not "fast", and not the car that says "do something stupid" (besides fuck in the back seat without a condom)

c1b0816bcd0d419ea7b32626f3b125ab.jpg

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Well, 2% overall is one thing, but what about specific models?  Mustangs, for example?

Low enough that the 2020 Shelby GT500 will be auto only.  Corvette is ending manual 2020. Last year Audi gave up on manual in the US market.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-new-car-truck-suv-manual-transmission/

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 5 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Tacos have wonderful resale values.  When I was looking for a small truck for my oldest back in 2013, I shopped everywhere for one and they were coming out anywhere from $4 to $6K over what people were asking for Nissan Frontiers or Ford Rangers.   These were 2003 to 2005 models with more than 100k miles on them and even a few were pushing 150K.  I ended up getting him the Nissan.  Heck I might get me a taco when I'm ready to downsize from my F-150 if the Ford Bronco turns out to be more like a mom vehicle vs the original thing.

See, when we Americans  get tired of them  and dealers can't sell them on their resale lots or even the mom/pop dealers forgo them at auction, they will auction  them off to overseas buyers and they will either end up on ships to Asia, Africa or the Middle East.  Or in caravans down through  Mexico where they end up in Central America.   And the seller here in the states will still make some good coin and your former Tacoma might end up with an ISIS logo on it in Syria.

And then they mount a .50 cal in the bed, or a 12.7mm more likely.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, tbone_ said:

Fucking bullshit unamerican is what that is.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^^

Automatic transmission is an American invention.

Entirely too American, I'm afraid.  

The dual-clutch automatic is a French invention, developed by the Brits and arguably perfected by Porsche.  It's the way of the future.  Those Brits are sneaky-good with electronics; not so much the manufacture, but the design concepts.

Hard to find a good clean car.  The way I have found them on Craigslist in the past is by searching multiple times a day, and searching by map, rather than list.  Actually I usually look at newest on gallery then look at the map.  I use the Map mainly because I was looking for a car that had been well maintained, that's not some bullshit small time dealer churning off the auction.  The best deals I have ever found on Craigslist was when I was the first to reply and it was usually in the first 30 minutes of the posting.  

ANY good deal will be gone in a couple hours.  

I also suggest checking with your insurance company to see what the insurance rates will be like.  I bought a Mazda CX-7 for my youngest daughter and got a great deal on it.  The Turbo engine and a 20 year old driver make it as expensive to cover monthly as my wife'e new 2020 Sonata. With two boys the insurance might be a huge factor in my model choosing. 

Just load craigslist onto your phone and search about 10 times a day until you find what you are looking for.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

When did you urban parents start teaching your kids to drive? I grew up in the sticks and had a motorcycle at 9 and was driving a farm truck at 12. I have no idea what makes sense in austin.

My kids were both driving in the local stadium parking lot and random dirt roads at the grandparents at 12.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 12:17 PM, CooterBrown said:

When did you urban parents start teaching your kids to drive? I grew up in the sticks and had a motorcycle at 9 and was driving a farm truck at 12. I have no idea what makes sense in austin.

Unless you've got land to let them drive on the law pretty much limits you to when they get a learner's permit at 15.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, Alex Karev said:

Be careful buying your kids a Jeep or Bronco for their first car. There is always a chance they might drive like l did as a teenager. I rolled a Jeep and a Volkswagen Bug and was lucky as hell to survive without a scratch.

How did you roll a bug? That's not easy to do. That was my first car, and I might have done stupid shit on occasion that would have caused other vehicles to roll but not the bug. 

Edited by Mack Tripper

1 hour ago, Mack Tripper said:

How did you roll a bug? That's not easy to do. That was my first car, and I might have done stupid shit on occasion that would have caused other vehicles to roll but not the bug. 

Get it up to about 40mph turn the wheels as sharp as possible and pull the hand brake. We did this on the football field.

• 5 months later...

OK, bumping this.  The boy was a little late getting through the learner's permit process as there is a lot more to it than there used to be.  Then he was all tee'd up to get his license in March before the rona hit.  He has an appointment for tomorrow, and then we will be on the hunt for a ride.  Looking for a compact car with the following basic criteria:

- under 75K miles

- 4-5 star safety rating

- under $10K (preferably under $9K)

- dependable (i.e. reasonably low cost of maintenance)

We were pretty locked in on a 2015 Ford Focus hatchback, which was well reviewed and 5 star crash rating, but research indicated they have a majorly fucked up transmission problem over which Ford has been sued over knowingly producing these with a known transmission defect.  If there is one drivetrain problem I don't want to deal with, it's the transmission.  My 5 series BMW had major tranny problems, and never again.  Cars we are looking at are:

- Mazda3

- Chevy Cruze

- Kia Forte (am I crazy for considering a Kia)

- Hyundai Elantra

- Nissan Sentra

I know the "stick to Toyotas and Hondas" mantra, but they are considerably more expensive.  In fact, the whole fucking used car market seems out of whack.  But I do want to try to get some value out of it.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

American cars have come a looong way on dependability.

I would worry about the cutoff. Anything from 2012 or before at least is going to be a piece of shit.

I mean we're talking about the Cruzes and Focuses of the world - not f250s or challengers. 

Also - my intention wasn't to totally knock American cars, more to comment that Kia makes good cars.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I would worry about the cutoff. Anything from 2012 or before at least is going to be a piece of shit.

I mean we're talking about the Cruzes and Focuses of the world - not f250s or challengers. 

Ah yes, I think the cutoff would be 2014 preferably.

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, bumping this.  The boy was a little late getting through the learner's permit process as there is a lot more to it than there used to be.  Then he was all tee'd up to get his license in March before the rona hit.  He has an appointment for tomorrow, and then we will be on the hunt for a ride.  Looking for a compact car with the following basic criteria:

- under 75K miles

- 4-5 star safety rating

- under $10K (preferably under $9K)

- dependable (i.e. reasonably low cost of maintenance)

We were pretty locked in on a 2015 Ford Focus hatchback, which was well reviewed and 5 star crash rating, but research indicated they have a majorly fucked up transmission problem over which Ford has been sued over knowingly producing these with a known transmission defect.  If there is one drivetrain problem I don't want to deal with, it's the transmission.  My 5 series BMW had major tranny problems, and never again.  Cars we are looking at are:

- Mazda3

- Chevy Cruze

- Kia Forte (am I crazy for considering a Kia)

- Hyundai Elantra

- Nissan Sentra

I know the "stick to Toyotas and Hondas" mantra, but they are considerably more expensive.  In fact, the whole fucking used car market seems out of whack.  But I do want to try to get some value out of it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Chewbacca