Car for kid

i've put a shit ton of miles on a mazda3 over a decade+ without any major repairs.  pax side engine mount is about the only trouble spot, it eats those.  ford focus is the same.  it's something you can do yourself with a floor jack, some scrap wood, and hand tools.  aside from that, the rubber bits in the suspension and the valve cover gasket are about all that's needed replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No.  Not getting either of those for under $10K and under 75K miles.  Not out here anyway.

Miles can be higher than 75k.  You could easily go double that and get a very reliable automobile.  I sold a 4Runner a few years ago that I had since new.  It had 240k on it, everything worked, and the only non-routine maintenance it needed was an alternator in 15 years.  My Landcruiser has 220k on it and I would drive it cross country tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Miles can be higher than 75k.  You could easily go double that and get a very reliable automobile.  I sold a 4Runner a few years ago that I had since new.  It had 240k on it, everything worked, and the only non-routine maintenance it needed was an alternator in 15 years.  My Landcruiser has 220k on it and I would drive it cross country tomorrow.

I get it, but since I won't have owned this from new, I want something with relatively low miles that IF something goes wrong, it won't be crazy expensive.  Plus I don't want him to have the car that everyone can pile into.  I remember in my early 20's having a little Honda CRX that looked a lot like this
spacer.png

It was great, because any time we all wanted to go out, guess who wasn't driving?

• Hook 'Em 1

Hyundai Elantra

Easily be able to have it for many years with little worries or hassle.  If can swing it though I would add 1k to your price and up you miles to 100k and look for a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. 

The bigger car you can get for a new driver the better. Physics always wins, I like to hedge my bets.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t read the OP or the criteria but I never pass up a chance to brag on Tacomas. Mine has 250,000 and has needed one alternator at about 240k and several sets of tires and brakes. Nothing else ever. Bought new in 2006 when my son was an infant. It becomes his when he turns 16 in a few months.  The plan is for him to drive that until he goes to college and then it goes to the younger son at 16. I’ll be highly disappointed if it doesn’t go to 400,000 miles. For the replacement for myself I bought a used older Landcruiser with 180k and I expect it to be as bulletproof as the Tacoma has been. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Sbbruin said:

I get it, but since I won't have owned this from new, I want something with relatively low miles that IF something goes wrong, it won't be crazy expensive.  Plus I don't want him to have the car that everyone can pile into.  I remember in my early 20's having a little Honda CRX that looked a lot like this
spacer.png

It was great, because any time we all wanted to go out, guess who wasn't driving?

One of my fraternity brothers bought one of those while in school.  He was 6'5" and had to keep the sunroof open.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, DaysOff said:
Toyota Corolla. Plentiful on the used market and reliable as hell because Japanese.

We bought our oldest a 2020 Corolla last summer. With the care package, which covers bumper to bumper and oil changes for 3 years, I think it was $22K. I’d look at upping your budget a little for peace of mind. A $10K mid-high mileage vehicle will probably have $10K in repairs and maintenance over 72 months if you are financing. The cost almost evens out.

fec4809b2cfe206e723818d59bfc9189.jpg

I used Carvana to find my Mustang, which I got used. Was pleased with the experience.

Edited by Spankytoes

noticed this thread got bumped.  

got oldest a 2015 altima for around $8k, had 90k miles on it.  he has driven it about a year now and still under 100k.  its been perfect for him.

got the youngest a 1988 bronco (well, actually for me).  it was in great shape but have dumped another $3k or so on it (engine stuff) because its a 32 year old vehicle.  i really love it, so does he.  

On 8/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, chesthair said:

noticed this thread got bumped.  

got oldest a 2015 altima for around $8k, had 90k miles on it.  he has driven it about a year now and still under 100k.  its been perfect for him.

got the youngest a 1988 bronco (well, actually for me).  it was in great shape but have dumped another $3k or so on it (engine stuff) because its a 32 year old vehicle.  i really love it, so does he.  

What’d you pay for the bronco originally?

SO what are the steps in buying a car from a private seller?  I've i.d. one close to my office.  Good deal.  But want to make sure I don't fuck up the transaction.  Pink slip.  What else?
Bill of sale. Title. Keys. In exchange for those things, you give them money.

Not much to it.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Bill of sale. Title. Keys. In exchange for those things, you give them money.

Not much to it.

Yep.  I assume Cali has a sales tax on motor vehicles.  You might consider reciting a smaller sale amount in a bill of sale to lower that a little.  Can't say three fiddy or they'll blue book it, at least they do in Texas.  That will reduce your remedy, probably, if you have to sue over it, in which case, that's probably the least of your worries.  It's also a wee bit fraudulent.

They sign or endorse the title and you have to run it in to a tax office to get the title in your/kiddos name.  In Texas, you have 30 days to do this or there's a dick fee involved.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So what kinda g ride is he gonna be rolling?

TBD, but plan on test driving this tomorrow and would probably pull the trigger.  Test drove a Kia Forte (nice car) and a Hyundai Accent (also nice), but both had issues.  This one looks clean and is the high end version (for whatever that's worth) of this.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, DaysOff said:

Toyota Corolla. Plentiful on the used market and reliable as hell because Japanese.

GF had one when we got together.  Fairly reliable for 200K, and then complete junk...call the tow truck, there's nothing worth salvaging.  All freeway miles, all scheduled maintenance, and the fucker just fell apart. 

So I've had quite the unique experience.  The two worst cars I've "owned" have been a corolla and an accord.   It's not even close.  

On 8/25/2020 at 4:13 PM, Sbbruin said:

SO what are the steps in buying a car from a private seller?  I've i.d. one close to my office.  Good deal.  But want to make sure I don't fuck up the transaction.  Pink slip.  What else?

You need(ed) the pink slip, the smog certificate, the bill of sale, and the keys.

On 8/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  I assume Cali has a sales tax on motor vehicles.  You might consider reciting a smaller sale amount in a bill of sale to lower that a little.  Can't say three fiddy or they'll blue book it, at least they do in Texas.  That will reduce your remedy, probably, if you have to sue over it, in which case, that's probably the least of your worries.  It's also a wee bit fraudulent.

They sign or endorse the title and you have to run it in to a tax office to get the title in your/kiddos name.  In Texas, you have 30 days to do this or there's a dick fee involved.

Here, the sales tax is paid when the title and registration are transferred at the DMV.  Tax is based on the sales price, so fudging the numbers on the Bill of Sale is SOP.

And the smart people go to the Auto Club office for registration shit, not the DMV.   It's well worth the cost of membership to avoid the lines. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Also, I'm acquainted with a guy who's family owns about a 16 or so dealerships, mostly in San Diego.   Various manufacturers.

He told me that they've made more money in the last 60 days than in the previous year.    He said if you want to buy a new car, you're lucky if you pay a penny under sticker these days. Used car values are stupid high.  

Edited by Gil Bang

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Pulled the trigger today on a 2015 Nissan Sentra SV with 60k miles. Really nice car for $9,100. The boy is stoked.
79da5b83d829f16b1e017d32374ab421.jpg

Nice car there on Foothill Bl. in Glendale.   Hopefully some old Armenian woman only drove it to church. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a lotta miles for an econobox.  Trucks often go longer, but trucks are built better than econoboxes.  I wouldn't complain about that.

Yeah, I might have been "overserved" when I made that post.  Should have said 120k, not 200k. 

Everything started breaking at that point.  

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still not a bad run for an econobox.  How old was it?

2009 Model IIRC, so it was about 7 years old when we junked it. 

We didn't "actually" take it to a junkyard, we sold it to some car flipper for $500.  

But at least it did run well until the 120k mark.   Better than the POS accord that I had that had problem after problem and never made it to 120k

19 hours ago, Hate said:

Umm, exactly what kind of ass does he want to get with a RR?  Either old soccer moms or dudes...nttawwt.

It's Cali.  Go figure.  Come to think of it, though, RR are becoming increasingly a chickmobile.  Very few men that respect themselves or their wallets would go for a RR.

Edited by TwiceHorn