Car for kid

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
23 hours ago, conVINCEd said:
If he lives in the middle of nowhere I suppose it’s feasible, otherwise he has an agent who really wants to keep his business, because they dug deep into their bag of tricks here.

Denver metro area. Not middle of nowhere.

Damn, Denver?!?  We got ours an Outback too.  @C-Man, what's going on here! :)

I think my soon to be 16 year old son may have broken a record.

I found a good deal on a used Kia K5, so pulled the trigger this Sunday.  I've been driving with him for awhile (Learner's permit), and he's a solid driver, good kid, good grades, he deserves it once he gets his license. 

He then makes the decision, while my wife and I are out of town on business, to take it for a joy ride with his sister at 11 pm on Tuesday night.  AAAAnnddd promptly gets in an accident - around 48 hours after I buy the car. No one was hurt, but the Audi Q5 he hit had the airbags deploy.  Cops show up, shockingly ask no questions other than for my AAA card to get the Kia towed.  I think these guys knew what was up and wanted to get him and the car the fuck out of there (thank you, thank you).

Audi in shop; might be totaled.  Kia at home, relatively minor damage.

Getting State Farm involved seems to be a gray area - may or may not be willing to pay. I have no idea how they'd react to this.  Other thing is we will be adding the driver at fault to our insurance soon, so how excited will our agent be to add a 16 year old that just went for an illegal joy ride and caused tens of thousands of dollars in damages?  Attorney friend says to pay, don't get State Farm involved.

So we're leaning towards:  (1) taking the money to pay for damages - to both cars - out of some stock investments we made for him when was younger, and (2) pulling his license until he's 17, and figuring out a way for him to pay for his own Uber receipts during that time period.  Might draw and quarter him also.

He's in disbelief at his own stupidity, really down on himself. Good.  I'm letting it simmer without getting upset, just pointing out the astounding idiocy of his decision.  On the side I'm somewhat relieved this happened early on without any bodily harm - hopefully he'll be scared straight.  (BTW my wife isn't back yet so who knows what hellfire she's going to bring down - I'll have to TRY to keep that in check.)

Stay safe out there!

PS  My daughter has been like a ninja since I've been back, tip toeing in the shadows.  I finally caught up to her:  Hey, you know what aiding and abetting is?  She nodded.  Well I'll tell you anyway, it means if you allow or assist in criminal activity, you're as liable as the criminal (I have no fucking idea if that's true, just said it anyway).  So whatever punishment your brother gets, you get.  She nodded and slumped off.

12 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I found a good deal on a used Kia K5, so pulled the trigger this Sunday.  I've been driving with him for awhile (Learner's permit), and he's a solid driver, good kid, good grades, he deserves it once he gets his license. 

He then makes the decision, while my wife and I are out of town on business, to take it for a joy ride with his sister at 11 pm on Tuesday night.  AAAAnnddd promptly gets in an accident - around 48 hours after I buy the car. No one was hurt, but the Audi Q5 he hit had the airbags deploy.  Cops show up, shockingly ask no questions other than for my AAA card to get the Kia towed.  I think these guys knew what was up and wanted to get him and the car the fuck out of there (thank you, thank you).

Getting State Farm involved seems to be a gray area - may or may not be willing to pay. I have no idea how they'd react to this.  Other thing is we will be adding the driver at fault to our insurance soon, so how excited will our agent be to add a 16 year old that just went for an illegal joy ride and caused tens of thousands of dollars in damages?  Attorney friend says to pay, don't get State Farm involved.

So we're leaning towards:  (1) taking the money to pay for damages - to both cars - out of some stock investments we made for him when was younger, and (2) pulling his license until he's 17, and figuring out a way for him to pay for his own Uber receipts during that time period.  Might draw and quarter him also.

He's in disbelief at his own stupidity, really down on himself. Good.  I'm letting it simmer without getting upset, just pointing out the astounding idiocy of his decision.  On the side I'm somewhat relieved this happened early on without any bodily harm - hopefully he'll be scared straight.  (BTW my wife isn't back yet so who knows what hellfire she's going to bring down - I'll have to TRY to keep that in check.)

Stay safe out there!

PS  My daughter has been like a ninja since I've been back, tip toeing in the shadows.  I finally caught up to her:  Hey, you know what aiding and abetting is?  She nodded.  Well I'll tell you anyway, it means if you allow or assist in criminal activity, you're as liable as the criminal (I have no fucking idea if that's true, just said it anyway).  So whatever punishment your brother gets, you get.  She nodded and slumped off.

Fuck, that's scary.  Glad to hear everyone is ok.  Amazing that no one asked for his driver's license.

Stay safe out there!

Good reminder to never underestimate the astounding idiocy of teenagers. Every the good ones.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Stay safe out there!

So the other parties insurance isn't looking to contact yours or no police report was filed?  We need an insurance person to chime in here, I would be worried the other party could also decide after the fact to file a claim and you would have no record of the incident and your insurance company would not look fondly (bend over) on that.

15 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Stay safe out there!

If you want to file a claim, SF will most likely cover it and then most likely non-renew your policy.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:
Question. My kid just turned 15. Do I have to add her to the insurance when she gets a learner’s permit or not until she’s an official licensed driver?

Not until licensed, at least that's how CO does it.

That is how TX does it as well

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So the other parties insurance isn't looking to contact yours or no police report was filed?  We need an insurance person to chime in here, I would be worried the other party could also decide after the fact to file a claim and you would have no record of the incident and your insurance company would not look fondly (bend over) on that.

They didn't ask for it at the time.  I guess they were satisfied by my explanation, and they had the plate numbers.  However they did ask for it the next day after they filed a claim with their carrier.  I told them I wanted to get the estimate first, since we will likely pay it out of pocket.

I'm friendly with our agent and tempted to just float a trial balloon with him on this, see what he thinks.  Wife and attorney friend don't like that idea.

I told him this morning he's the luckiest little shit in the world.  No one was hurt and the police let him go WITHOUT a license, registration, or insurance.  My ass would probably still be in jail.

• 4 weeks later...

Figured this was worth a follow up for you soon to be parents of driving dipshits:

State Farm covered it all.  The other driver's insurance used the plate to dial in our insurance and made the claim.  Total loss of Audi, not sure of the $.  KIA damage at $6k which I already put down $3800 cash to get the parts.  Now they'll reimburse and SF will move in to take care of it all.

I called my agent and told him the whole deal.  He was casual, no big deal, this is what we're here for.  I noted neither one of his parents were in the car, which was my concern.  He shrugged it off, as long as an adult was in the car, no problem (I zipped it).  State Farm is one of the few carriers to cover things like this apparently.

Adjuster calls to get the details, and I'm like, fuck, there wasn't another adult in the car.  Guy first asks how my son is - nice.  I say I've had some different versions of the events from my dipshit son, what report does his say?  Says it's a straightforward left turn into an oncoming vehicle.  Period.  He notes that my son is on a learner's permit and that's covered as long as I gave him permission to drive.  For a nanosecond I thought fuck that kid, he should go mow fucking lawns until he goes to college to pay for this shit, but quickly snapped out of it and said, "Why yes, yes I did."  Done, case closed, full coverage.

Lucky.  HIs mother and I are still contemplating ways to punish him, might get medieval.

State Farm for life, holla. (Fuck you, Jake)

• Like 1

One month into the 16 year old driving and it looks like two mirrors are going to be on her Christmas list. Backing out of the garage is hard to do especially in an older house with miniature garage doors apparently. Life 360 is a nice little app to check whereabouts and driving information. I sure am glad it wasn’t around when I was 16. If it would just help her back out if the garage, it would be perfect.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:22 PM, Brew said:

One month into the 16 year old driving and it looks like two mirrors are going to be on her Christmas list. Backing out of the garage is hard to do especially in an older house with miniature garage doors apparently. Life 360 is a nice little app to check whereabouts and driving information. I sure am glad it wasn’t around when I was 16. If it would just help her back out if the garage, it would be perfect.

my sister had the same problem but she'd been driving about a decade by then.  after totaling her first two cars (a sunfire and an elantra) the one she kept knocking mirrors off of was a power-nothing focus so at least mirrors were cheap and easy to replace. 

Edited by elfenix

Fuck, my mid-life crisis was for sale, sold for $40,000 and I didn't even know it.  It would have made the perfect vehicle to pass down to my son.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-dodge-tradesman-200-4/
0098cb4e95592989265fa80206991f87.jpg
2506cb994d4469649db386f20840ce5f.jpg
c15e83c7d69853b2882b36e8e96eb664.jpg

Around 15 in 1983 I told my dad I wanted a van for a car, because you know, I had clever ideas. He said you’ll never get a date in a van. Then he hooked me up with a Trans Am. Dad knew what was up.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2021 at 8:43 PM, Mach 1 said:

Stay safe out there!

'80s classmate ran his IROC Camaro into his friend's Mustang, totaling both, on the way home from picking the IROC up from the dealership.  Mustang in front braked hard for the yellow light while the IROC kid punched it to make the light.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:22 PM, Brew said:

One month into the 16 year old driving and it looks like two mirrors are going to be on her Christmas list.

My sister did this to my dad's fairly new 1986 Ford Tempo, backed out of the garage and misjudged the clearance. But I didn't know it for years because my dad took the heat and told my mom that he was the one that did it. He never told me the truth until after my mom died, LOL. 

Edited by Sandman